These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Feedback Request - Margin trading and accurate market UI

First post First post First post
Author
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#41 - 2013-11-21 18:51:42 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Kal Arkhenty wrote:
How about:
- Buy order is put up and 24% escrow is created.
- As buy order gets filled ISK is taken 76% from the wallet 24% from escrow.
- If the order is cancelled, remaining escrow is given back.
- If the order is failed, remaining escrow is kept by "the bank" as a fine.

In this way the escrow is kept as an insurance for your buy order. You could lower the penalty by making the fine a percentage of the remaining escrow, you could even make it modifiable with a new skill if you so wish.

Maybe you could even give a percentage of that fine to the player that caused the order to fail, you know, as compensation for their troubles.

edit: fixed a typo

Scammers would still do the margin trading scam. Place the buy at twice the price of the sell. The "fine" would reduce their income by a factor of 2, but they would still make money off it. And the market would still be lying about having an order that is not really an order.

Why do we need buy orders to be guaranteed?
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#42 - 2013-11-21 18:57:21 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
What if CCP just told everyone that buy orders are NOT GUARANTEED....

Why should a buy order be not guaranteed? It's one thing if you are late and someone else filled it, but if you are in time and can't sell because of some ingame mechanics...
I think at least the minimum volume or 24% (the higher of this two) must be guaranteed.

In the Real World, Businesses deal with non-guaranteed buy orders all the time. Why should we implement some utopic marketplace in our dystopic EvE-verse?

Examples:
Have you ever ordered drive through only to discover you don't have your wallet?
Ever have a prescription filled but never picked it up?
Ever had PIzza prank delivered to someone?

RL businesses, just like traders in EvE, can implement good business practices to avoid future losses (like researching the true value of your goods, as well as their sales volume and volatility). And unlike the above scenarios, when the buy order fails in EvE, you keep the goods, which are NOT perishable, meaning it is even easier to avoid losses like the above.

There is no reason we need guaranteed buy orders... and the solution to the "market trade scam" is simply....

Tell everyone that buy orders are NOT GUARANTEED.

It is really simple!!!
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#43 - 2013-11-21 18:58:54 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

Why should a buy order be not guaranteed? It's one thing if you are late and someone else filled it, but if you are in time and can't sell because of some ingame mechanics...
I think at least the minimum volume or 24% (the higher of this two) must be guaranteed.

Because if they were scammers would lose a way to scam.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Noriko Mai
#44 - 2013-11-21 19:07:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Noriko Mai
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Noriko Mai wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

In the Real World, Businesses deal with non-guaranteed buy orders all the time. Why should we implement some utopic marketplace in our dystopic EvE-verse?

Examples:
Have you ever ordered drive through only to discover you don't have your wallet?
Ever have a prescription filled but never picked it up?
Ever had PIzza prank delivered to someone?

RL businesses, just like traders in EvE, can implement good business practices to avoid future losses (like researching the true value of your goods, as well as their sales volume and volatility). And unlike the above scenarios, when the buy order fails in EvE, you keep the goods, which are NOT perishable, meaning it is even easier to avoid losses like the above.

There is no reason we need guaranteed buy orders... and the solution to the "market trade scam" is simply....

Tell everyone that buy orders are NOT GUARANTEED.

It is really simple!!!

I don't think repeating your arguments makes them more valid. The eve market is incomparable with your pizza pranks. There are broker fees, so the broker should guarantee that his orders are coverd. There is a system in place, that takes an escrow from your wallet (min 24%) if you place a buy order. All of your examples are not compareable with this system.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong. I'm not pissed because I was scammed or something. In my opinion this is just a stupid mechanic. If you scam someone with a "2 PLEX for 1.4 Million" contract it's totaly fine. But showing orders in the market, that are invalid is just stupid.

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Simc0m
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2013-11-21 19:15:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Simc0m
Hello CCP,

The only way to completely prevent margin trading scammers is:

If the wallet balance + % in escrow falls below the total value of all buy orders placed for item X, make all buy orders for item X go inactive (hide the orders from the market) until the wallet is replenished.

[the total value of all buy orders for item X] needs to be used here instead of just the value of a single order to prevent people from setting up many small buy orders for item X to conduct the scam.

I can't think of a way this would be defeated by scammers, but if someone can think of a way please let me know. I really don't like the second option proposed, it would clutter the UI and would be confusing to new players.
Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#46 - 2013-11-21 19:17:35 UTC
Simc0m wrote:

Let me begin by pointing out crux of all margin trading scams that others seem to be overlooking. All margin trading scams set a high minimum quantity. The reason the minimum quantity needs to be high is that the scam would be DEFEATABLE if you were able to sell small quanitites to the offending buy order.

wrong

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#47 - 2013-11-21 19:18:54 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
Kal Arkhenty wrote:
How about:

In this way the escrow is kept as an insurance for your buy order. You could lower the penalty by making the fine a percentage of the remaining escrow, you could even make it modifiable with a new skill if you so wish.

Maybe you could even give a percentage of that fine to the player that caused the order to fail, you know, as compensation for their troubles.

Scammers would still do the margin trading scam. Place the buy at twice the price of the sell. The "fine" would reduce their income by a factor of 2, but they would still make money off it. And the market would still be lying about having an order that is not really an order.

Because eve already has a market that is not guaranteed. You drop the item in space, let the other person pick it up and gift you the money. The purpose of the secure market is to give players who wish to expend taxes and broker fees a way of trading securely.

Frozen fanfiction

Noriko Mai
#48 - 2013-11-21 19:21:30 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
Kal Arkhenty wrote:
How about:

Because eve already has a market that is not guaranteed. You drop the item in space, let the other person pick it up and gift you the money. The purpose of the secure market is to give players who wish to expend taxes and broker fees a way of trading securely.

Pretty bad service for all the taxes we pay. Big smile

Simc0m
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-11-21 19:25:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Simc0m
[ Deleted ]
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#50 - 2013-11-21 19:26:20 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:

I don't think repeating your arguments makes them more valid. The eve market is incomparable with your pizza pranks. There are broker fees, so the broker should guarantee that his orders are coverd. There is a system in place, that takes an escrow from your wallet (min 24%) if you place a buy order. All of your examples are not compareable with this system.

Ever pre-ordered a playstation 4? Say, from bestbuy? They require a $25 deposit for the $400 dollar item. That's a 6.25% deposit, compared to our 24% deposit. If you can't afford the playstation, you can then return the "pre-order" for a full refund on your deposit.

How is this "different"?

Best Buy plays the broker, and assumes the risk that they won't be able to offload the playstations they ordered for you. You don't even have broker fees to pay, although some companies keep the deposit if you don't pick up the order.

Noriko Mai wrote:

EDIT: And don't get me wrong. I'm not pissed because I was scammed or something. In my opinion this is just a stupid mechanic. If you scam someone with a "2 PLEX for 1.4 Million" contract it's totaly fine. But showing orders in the market, that are invalid is just stupid.

Orders on the market are not "invalid" UNTIL they fail. Before that, they are standard buy orders, and any competent trader in eve knows the order can fail because funds aren't available.

To be frank, you don't need, nor deserve, guaranteed buy orders...
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#51 - 2013-11-21 19:29:58 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

You have contracts for guaranteed Trading....
You have Sell orders that are guaranteed...

Why do you need buy orders guaranteed?

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#52 - 2013-11-21 19:32:29 UTC
Simc0m wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
Simc0m wrote:

Let me begin by pointing out crux of all margin trading scams that others seem to be overlooking. All margin trading scams set a high minimum quantity. The reason the minimum quantity needs to be high is that the scam would be DEFEATABLE if you were able to sell small quanitites to the offending buy order.

wrong

Really? I would love for you to explain what's wrong with my solution.

Many Margin Scammers will use high value, single item buy orders to create their scheme. This is often coupled with contracts to sell their goods, or with goods located in a different station in system.
Simc0m
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-11-21 19:35:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Simc0m
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
This is often coupled with contracts to sell their goods, or with goods located in a different station in system.

That's not a margin trading scam. "Order cancel scams" are a completely different kind of scam whereby the buy order does not FAIL due to insufficient isk but is manually canceled after the sell contract is accepted.
Matthew
BloodStar Technologies
#54 - 2013-11-21 19:38:51 UTC
Before I touch on the margin trading scam itself, I would like to support calls for the ability to decide whether or not to use the margin trading skill when placing orders. Currently, once you've trained the skill, you are forced to use it on every single buy order, forever. This has discouraged me from training the skill at all, because while it might be useful for some orders, it would not be useful in all situations, and there is no way of going back if the pattern of my business changes at some point in the future.

This would not have to add extra clicks to the process for players placing their typical order type, as defaults could be used as they are for duration and range.

Now, in relation to the margin trading scam, I see support for the scam basically arguing along the lines that the buyer should be able to tell that the order is unrealistically priced, and orders are never guaranteed to be available.

I would argue that there is a significant difference between losing out on a trade because another player beat you to the order, and losing out because the other player was able use the market interface to lie to you about their intention to buy.

Similarly, while players should be expected to do their homework to identify that an order is an outlier, there is no way for them to tell the difference between a margin trading scam they should avoid, and a genuine mis-typed or ill-informed order that they should take advantage of.

While lying to other players is allowed (and in some cases positively encouraged) within Eve, this is generally in the context of one-to-one dealings between players. In these situations it is generally clear that the game mechanics are not actively preventing a lie, and you are able to determine who the other character is in order to be able to make an informed decision about whether you wish to trust that character or not.

The margin trading scam is different, in that it allows you to lie to other players anonymously, and within a framework that strongly implies that the declaration of intent to buy is genuine (even if that is not strictly the case). I cannot think of any other game mechanics in Eve that allow this.

The balance that needs to be struck is between allowing legitimate margin traders to place orders which they genuinely intend to fulfill while efficiently leveraging their available isk, and preventing scammers from being able to use it to anonymously lie to the market.

Marking orders placed by the margin trading skill doesn't really fit with this balance, which is why I am not in favour of it. It still does not let you identify the character behind the order so that you can make the informed decision about trust that you can in other lying venues within Eve. It also raises the index of suspicion against legitimate margin orders, significantly reducing their utility.

Market fines for failed orders are unlikely to be effective, because in the typical margin trading scam the scammer has made their profit before the sale to their buy order is attempted. If the fine was of a fixed value, this would disproportionately impact newer traders while being insignificant against the potential value of a margin trade scam. A fine based on a proportion of the order value would likely hit legitimate traders far harder than the scammers, as the scammers are generating much larger margins than are achievable normally and would therefore be more able to absorb the fine.

This brings us back to the principle of trying to determine whether the player genuinely intends to fulfill the margin order or not, and the balance between the protection this offers vs the onerousness against the margin trader. This principle is essentially what is being targeted by all the proposals around cancelling orders when certain conditions are met - the only difference is the isk commitment used to judge intent.

I feel there is a very strong argument for saying that an order should be cancelled if there is insufficient isk on hand (escrow + wallet) to fulfill a trade of the minimum volume of the order. At this point, no possible trade against the order could be successful so it would be very hard to argue that there is a genuine intent to continue servicing the order. This would not act as full protection against margin trading scams, but it would discourage them and limit the size of the impact they can have. It also provides a trader with the opportunity to adopt behaviors that further mitigate risk (such as selling in batches of the minimum order volume, doing one minimum volume order to identify the character behind the order etc), at the cost of potentially losing out to a player who dumps onto the order less cautiously.

At the other end of the spectrum, the requirement proposed by CCP Rise (that you must always have sufficient isk to back an order) seems to be very limiting to legitimate uses of the margin trading skill (including various brokerage strategies that improve the efficiency of markets). While it does offer stronger discouragement of margin trading scams, I'm not convinced that it is a sufficient improvement to warrant the significant additional limitations on legitimate traders.

Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
RL businesses, just like traders in EvE, can implement good business practices to avoid future losses (like researching the true value of your goods, as well as their sales volume and volatility).

Sure, if you order something once and then don't complete, the RL business would generally suck it up. But if you came in and did it every single day, that RL business is quickly going to realise that you are not a legitimate customer and refuse to do business with you. The anonymity of the Eve market and the inability of the market to self-regulate intent in the same way as such human decision-making prevents that from being a viable option, hence why other options like minimum collateral levels are being explored.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#55 - 2013-11-21 19:42:45 UTC
Simc0m wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Many Margin Scammers will use high value, single item buy orders to create their scheme.

Solution: An order will fail if the BUY PRICE x MINIMUM BUY QUANTITY > Isk in wallet + the % in escrow.

Any margin trading scam REGARDLESS OF MINIMUM BUY QUANTITY would FAIL this test.

Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
This is often coupled with contracts to sell their goods, or with goods located in a different station in system.

That's not a margin trading scam. "Order cancel scams" are a completely different kind of scam whereby the buy order does not FAIL but is canceled after the sell contract is accepted.

They do it for 5 items, and place 5 of the same item up for sale in a station 12 jumps away. Sure a player could fly 12 jumps, get one item, bring it back and sell, then repeat 4 more times. But in all likelihood they will buy all 5 so as to do just one trip. Then upon arriving they will succeed in selling one item, and be stuck with 4 that are vastly overpriced.

Frozen fanfiction

Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#56 - 2013-11-21 19:43:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Masao Kurata
This is very simple, solution #1 is close to the right answer.

Deactivate (hide from the market interface and make temporarily ineffective, not outright cancel) buy orders when the balance of the relevant wallet falls below (Minimum Quantity * Price) - Escrow. Reactivate when the wallet's balance rises back to the same threshold.

No margin trading scams appear on the market, real traders aren't affected.
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#57 - 2013-11-21 19:45:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Gizznitt Malikite
Simc0m wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Many Margin Scammers will use high value, single item buy orders to create their scheme. This is often coupled with contracts to sell their goods, or with goods located in a different station in system.

Solution: An order will fail if the BUY PRICE x MINIMUM BUY QUANTITY > Isk in wallet + the % in escrow.

Any margin trading scam REGARDLESS OF MINIMUM BUY QUANTITY would FAIL this test.

This is the first solution suggested by the OP.

Frankly, I personally find it unacceptable.

The point of the margin trade skill is to free up my isk to buy other things. This is something I employ quite a bit, and is the PRIMARY reason I trained MT to 5 (on my market toon). If I need to have a "minimum amount" or my orders get canceled, that amount should be what's already in escrow, so I can freely move the isk in my wallet about to engage in opportunistic purchases.

This isn't something simple, and probably require a rework of the entire escrow account mechanics.

The simple solution though... tell everyone that buy orders are not guaranteed...

Simc0m wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

That's not a margin trading scam. "Order cancel scams" are a completely different kind of scam whereby the buy order does not FAIL due to insufficient isk but is manually canceled after the sell contract is accepted.

They don't manually cancel the order... They sell overpriced items on contract... and people buy them because they think they can sell them to buy orders. When they go to sell them, the buy orders fail because there isn't enough isk to cover the transaction thanks to the margin trade skill. This happens ALL THE TIME in jita and amarr and other trade hubs.
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#58 - 2013-11-21 19:46:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
Instead of cancelling the order, can you just hide it while the buyer doesn't have enough money to cover buying the minimum volume? A hidden order will not be visible in the market window, and won't be attempted to be sold to. When the buyer acquires enough ISK to cover the minimum quantity, the order will appear again.

This does nothing to legitimate traders, as your order is only hidden while you wouldn't be able to utilize it anyway. Even better, your order won't be cancelled and you won't lose broker fees if you temporarily run out of money and someone tries to sell to you. Scams would be obviously eliminated.

I agree that scams using deceit, misplaced trust or false advertising are okay. Scams using faults of deficient UI are bad. (And the correct solution is not to hand out bans, but to fix the UI problems in the first place.)

"Don't count on the order being displayed being there tomorrow" (or in an hour) is a good rule. "Don't count on the order being displayed being there *now*" is bad UI.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#59 - 2013-11-21 19:49:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

You have contracts for guaranteed Trading....
You have Sell orders that are guaranteed...

Why do you need buy orders guaranteed?

You have to read the big print: SCC. Secure Commerce Commission. As for needing it, we do not need Eve Online, or computer games, or computers. Its just that we prefer those things, along with a secure market.
If you do not, maybe Eve is not the game for you. Can I have your stuff?

Frozen fanfiction

Noriko Mai
#60 - 2013-11-21 19:49:52 UTC
Matthew wrote:
Before I touch on the margin trading scam itself, I would like to support calls for the ability to decide whether or not to use the margin trading skill when placing orders. Currently, once you've trained the skill, you are forced to use it on every single buy order, forever. This has discouraged me from training the skill at all, because while it might be useful for some orders, it would not be useful in all situations, and there is no way of going back if the pattern of my business changes at some point in the future.

This would not have to add extra clicks to the process for players placing their typical order type, as defaults could be used as they are for duration and range.

I would like to have this option, too.