These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Could CCP be about to repeat Incarna?

First post First post
Author
Prince Kobol
#201 - 2013-11-20 20:11:49 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
Out of curiosity is Akita T still playing Eve?.

Yes, but recently he's got baby aggro.

lol.. I know that feeling Big smile
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#202 - 2013-11-20 20:34:54 UTC
Tippia wrote:
I also like to point to this as a counter to the common “patch vs. expansion” argument — that “patch”-style expansions are bad for the game and “real expansions” are good for it. Incursions disprove this bit of received knowledge. Incursions did as much damage to the population as Incarna did because it didn't actually deliver any sandbox content.

Agree with most of your points except this one. This is a vast oversimplification, and you picked, quite possibly, the worst "expansion" of the lot. Apocrypha, for example, was clearly an "expansion" that delivered a great deal of "sandbox" content. Red Moon Rising (23 new T2 ships as well as carriers, supers, titans) is also well in the "expansion" category and defined much of the sandbox as we know it.

"Expansion" doesn't mean theme park and "patch" doesn't necessitate good sandbox content. I think that's an important distinction. When people say we're getting patches, they refer to the quantity (not type) of content. Specifically, the amount of stuff we received now in comparison to expansions such as RMR and Apocrypha.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#203 - 2013-11-20 21:03:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Cipher Jones
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/PCUShard.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansions_of_Eve_Online

There's a huge list of things that everyone wants and the server can only support so may people. The fact that CCP have obviously got a better feel of what the people in the game want as opposed to what the threads in GD say "we" want is immense.

It might not be what YOU want but its clearly working slowly on the general population.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#204 - 2013-11-20 21:40:43 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Agree with most of your points except this one. This is a vast oversimplification, and you picked, quite possibly, the worst "expansion" of the lot. Apocrypha, for example, was clearly an "expansion" that delivered a great deal of "sandbox" content. Red Moon Rising (23 new T2 ships as well as carriers, supers, titans) is also well in the "expansion" category and defined much of the sandbox as we know it.
Sure, but ask why those two expansions worked and the other content-big ones didn't?

My point is much the same as yours, I think…
Quote:
"Expansion" doesn't mean theme park and "patch" doesn't necessitate good sandbox content. I think that's an important distinction.
Fair enough, I should have been clearer on that point. The semantics of the quotation marks may have been lost in the process.

I use those two words (in quotation marks) to make exactly that distinction. Often when you see people talk about “expansion, not patch”, it is very much in that vein: “expansion” is meant to be the same as in a themepark game, with new content to consume, new stuff to do, new shinier toys etc. Same with the usage of “patch”: adjustments of what's already there and tweaks and improvements to the gameplay.

The problem is that in this game, those “patch” improvements can bring far more actual content to the game than the shiny-toy-expansion will do. Tiercide has effectively doubled the amounts of ships in the game, for instance. Yes, they were there before, but they were not useful game content — the tweaks and adjustments turned that dead code and the unused assets into something that you'll actually encounter in space. And yet, these are often held up as “just patches” because, yes, that's what they would be in any other game. In this game, those “just patches” added immensely to the toolset, which is the kind of content this game needs.

I'd say that Apocrypha and RMR were good for exactly that reason: not because they added content to consume, but because they added and improved the tool set available. Compare this to both Incursion and Incarna: both added tons of toys and shiny things and stuff to do and other consumables… but no tools. They are textbook examples of “expansion” in the classical sense, and that was a large part of what made them such failures.

Of course, then you could always argue the distinction between “stuff to do” and “tools to use” since the whole point of adding tools is that it gives us stuff to do… but that's for a later time. P
Xavier Higdon
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#205 - 2013-11-20 22:04:51 UTC
I still cannot understand this trend today where people will continue to play, and in the case of EvE pay for, a game they repeatedly express dislike, disdain or outright hate towards. I stopped enjoying COD when they instituted massive lag compensation, and so I stopped playing. I didn't continue playing and rage on their forums, I just stopped. Yet the vast majority of detractors continued playing, even continued buying the add-ons, while complaining about it. I would like to know why. Why do you consume entertainment that you don't enjoy? Do you do so with all forms of entertainment? Do you watch TV shows that you hate in order to yell at the screen? I believe most of you would be displeased with EvE regardless if CCP added, removed and changed all the things you gripe about. If they removed CONCORD you'd complain that they turned the game into a third-person space shooter. If they hardened their servers to handle 10,000 players on grid you'd argue they were favoring large alliances. If they remove multiple accounts, you'd say they were making the game too hard for people that can't play all the time. People say they want something fixed, but in reality they just want to complain, to blame their failures on something or to make themselves appear smarter than the professionals behind a game without equal.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#206 - 2013-11-20 22:20:15 UTC
Xavier Higdon wrote:
I still cannot understand this trend today where people will continue to play, and in the case of EvE pay for, a game they repeatedly express dislike, disdain or outright hate towards. I stopped enjoying COD when they instituted massive lag compensation, and so I stopped playing. I didn't continue playing and rage on their forums, I just stopped. Yet the vast majority of detractors continued playing, even continued buying the add-ons, while complaining about it. I would like to know why. Why do you consume entertainment that you don't enjoy? Do you do so with all forms of entertainment? Do you watch TV shows that you hate in order to yell at the screen? ...

It did not happen with 4th Ed D&D . The player base said the 4th Ed changes sucked, the Devs ignored it and said "trust us all will be well", but in the end the players were right and the majority eventually went off and played Pathfinder and 4th Edition has become the classic modern example of how a company with market dominance can bring on a major fail through arrogance.

Is CCP guilty of that sort of arrogance? No idea.
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#207 - 2013-11-20 23:19:03 UTC
Here is an easy way to tell that Rubicon isn't a repeat of Incarna: CCP isn't flying the CSM in for an emergency summit to stem the tide of people fleeing the game like they did after Space Barbies went live.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#208 - 2013-11-20 23:19:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Tippia wrote:

Why are you so hostile in agreeing with me? I don't get it.

Because it's years you try putting an hat on it.
It's not your first post where you (and others, always from the same "political bloc" try and blame "PvE" expansions as a cause for a decline in EvE and generally as a "non EvE kosher" way to develop expansions.

My agenda? To bring EvE back to when it was not just about emergent players game play but was made by emergent designers, emergent developers and produced emergent, jaw dropping new technological advancement.

THAT was the EvE that grew steadily (despite the many hiccups and even big "boot.ini" incidents) and without "plateaus", it was a steady rise.

I should NOT look at Start Citizen for a break through technology indigestion.

I should NOT look at other games to see what CCP excelled at, with FAR less employees.

You see a game decline when a single guy not only manages to raise $28.59M in a relatively short time but also forces CCP into become a follower i.e. at adopting a VR headset or similar.

I could also talk about some other visionary guy called Chris Taylor, who made a series of amazing and unique and very bold games, some so bold for their years he was considered a fool.

EvE used to be developed by people like that. People who established records and achievements and managed to transform an ultra-thin-niche game for 5000 players into a decade legacy.

What broke? I have posted my opinion at the beginning of this thread.

But now they really have to steer direction, because EvE with no break through innovation is stagnating and stagnating in an age of many new competitors and in the age of MMOs crysis is NOT a good omen.

I want to be the proud owner of the 20th anniversary EvE collector's edition. This is my agenda.
Abulurd Boniface
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#209 - 2013-11-20 23:19:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Abulurd Boniface
Trii Seo wrote:
I was actually pleasantly surprised to find out how small the depot is and how easily you can swap mods with it. Sixty seconds and you can refit from your cargo without onlining/offlining mods, and then immediately scoop it!

For me, this development is one that I wholeheartedly support.

This is equipment that you can dump into the space truck and take to different places. This actively offers a toe-hold in space, where you can have a small base that supports your operations in a system/region, when you have access to nothing else in that space.

It offers the opportunity and enticement for taking more risk. Some people think this is excellent for hi-sec. To me this is perfect material for 0.0 and wormholes, where you may have nothing else to work with. The cost is trivial and the risk is manageable. This equipment is what should have been available in 2003. It would have made a far better lure for getting people into the game, but I don't mean to second-guess the 2003 team. This is what you do when you work so long and hard on digital nirvana, that the pieces start to fall into place.

There are entire walls of philosophy in this thread about how liveable CCP's position is, how good/bad its offerings are, how awful/passable/great this or that release was.

How about we all just enjoy this great new material and find ways to impress our image upon the fabric of New Eden? Let's start with that simple ambition.

This is a great expansion. To anyone who says it's not perfect, I say: if you wait until everything is precisely right to do something, you're never going to do a whole lot. We have never been a species that needed perfection to get going. We used the tools we had to move forward. We started with sharp sticks and rocks to kill something we wanted to eat and look where we are now: we're in the very embodiment of luxury, furiously debating whether we got enough new shinies from the makers of our virtual playground. If -that- is not progress born from imperfection I beg you to tell me what is.

Quit yapping, get your ass into a boat, load up the gear and undock already.
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#210 - 2013-11-20 23:35:59 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Often when you see people talk about “expansion, not patch”, it is very much in that vein: “expansion” is meant to be the same as in a themepark game, with new content to consume, new stuff to do, new shinier toys etc. Same with the usage of “patch”: adjustments of what's already there and tweaks and improvements to the gameplay.

But here it's only you talking about "expansions" as in theme park games with content to consume and so on. Nobody is telling or asking this.
Xavier Higdon
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#211 - 2013-11-20 23:38:05 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Xavier Higdon wrote:
I still cannot understand this trend today where people will continue to play, and in the case of EvE pay for, a game they repeatedly express dislike, disdain or outright hate towards. I stopped enjoying COD when they instituted massive lag compensation, and so I stopped playing. I didn't continue playing and rage on their forums, I just stopped. Yet the vast majority of detractors continued playing, even continued buying the add-ons, while complaining about it. I would like to know why. Why do you consume entertainment that you don't enjoy? Do you do so with all forms of entertainment? Do you watch TV shows that you hate in order to yell at the screen? ...

It did not happen with 4th Ed D&D . The player base said the 4th Ed changes sucked, the Devs ignored it and said "trust us all will be well", but in the end the players were right and the majority eventually went off and played Pathfinder and 4th Edition has become the classic modern example of how a company with market dominance can bring on a major fail through arrogance.

Is CCP guilty of that sort of arrogance? No idea.

The difference between your example and the EvE forums is that in yours the people stopped playing. Here, on these forums, the people that I first saw complaining about EvE, first saw expressing anger and hate towards the game and CCP five months ago when I started playing are the same as do so today. Did they all buy a 10 year subscription that is just now running out? I somehow doubt that. I also doubt that they've continued to pay for the game because they hope to see improvement(that is, what they see as improvement). I think they just like to complain. They enjoy the argument for the sake of arguing, otherwise you would see them change their opinions when presented with logical counter arguments. Instead they will forever stand their ground, like a child screaming "he did it first!" Of course this isn't directed at everybody in this thread. While I disagree with VV and Tippia at times they are both intelligence people that will amend their views when presented with appropriate evidence to the contrary. Some others just cross there arms, clench their jaw and repeat "uh-uh" until the other person gives up, at which time they declare victory.
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#212 - 2013-11-21 00:02:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Sura Sadiva
PotatoOverdose wrote:

"Expansion" doesn't mean theme park and "patch" doesn't necessitate good sandbox content. I think that's an important distinction. When people say we're getting patches, they refer to the quantity (not type) of content. Specifically, the amount of stuff we received now in comparison to expansions such as RMR and Apocrypha.

I agree.

However allow me to add:
IMO is not only a matter of amount but also how this stuff is structured and if there's a structure, a project, a design behind.

I try to explain. Apocrypha (again) added:
- a new space type (WH),
- new spaceship tier modular to operate in this new envinroment
- new exploration opportunities and playgrounds
- new colonization opportunities for smaller groups/communities
- new PVP options
- new PVE layer/NPC AI
- new industrial level to support all this

All this was linked together by a unique design, and was able to affect, on some degree, all (or almost all) EVE playstyles giving more tools and options to all them. And adressing some key issues of EVE.

This is what I mean as "vision", there was a valid project behind. Is not like to simply stack a series of tweaks and fix. And was not announced as a 5 years plan, was simply done. In 3 months.

And we still getting the benefits of that expansion, after years.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#213 - 2013-11-21 00:02:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Because it's years you try putting an hat on it.
It's not your first post where you (and others, always from the same "political bloc" try and blame "PvE" expansions as a cause for a decline in EvE and generally as a "non EvE kosher" way to develop expansions.

It's not the first post because the question comes up again and again, and the simple fact of the matter is that the one expansion we've had that had a clear highsec PvE focus flopped miserably. This as opposed to the expansions that focused on providing tools for… oh… everyone, which have generally been met with a great deal of success.

The rest still doesn't make sense. What is my “politcal bloc”? Where do you get the idea that I blame PvE as a cause for decline? Apocrypha had plenty of PvE in it, and was a resounding success (technical legacy aside). It can be an entirely kosher way of developing EVE expansions, if it's done in a way as to fit the mould of EVE content in general: focus on the tools to let players create content; don't force-feed the content itself. You keep piling straw up so high that you've completely lost sight of what I'm arguing.

Quote:
My agenda? To bring EvE back to when it was not just about emergent players game play but was made by emergent designers, emergent developers and produced emergent, jaw dropping new technological advancement.
[…]
I want to be the proud owner of the 20th anniversary EvE collector's edition. This is my agenda.

So the same as me then. This still leaves the question of why you're so hostile in agreeing with me.

I'm guessing is that it's because you've assumed an agenda and motivation I really don't have and had that assumption colour all your interpretations of what I'm saying…

Sura Sadiva wrote:
But here it's only you talking about "expansions" as in theme park games with content to consume and so on. Nobody is telling or asking this.

Unfortunately, no, it really isn't. Just look at all the people dismissing some of the post-Incarna expansions as mere patches, when they've provided more content than some of the expansions of old they're referencing as examples of what should be done instead. The forum is littered with them. Sure, the people saying these things often get dope-slapped for it, and that's heart-warming to see, but the sentiment is still out there and it is often based on either incorrect assumptions of what counts as content around here or on misunderstandings of what has happened in the past.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#214 - 2013-11-21 00:11:54 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Evei Shard wrote:
As for the Rubicon expansion, I'm still left wondering if CCP is at a point that they *can't* do anything more with Eve. That they've hit some hard limits on code or technology, and so on, and that they are now in a mode of treading water, just trying to keep the playerbase subscribing until they get WoD out (and perhaps foolishly assuming that it will save them financially).

On the other hand, I imagine that it's possible that the players of Eve are the problem for CCP. They may have some fantastic Sov solutions out there that would transform null-sec completely and make it a very competitive and exciting place to be, but they can't ever implement them because the changes would require a reset of nullsec. This would **** off their primary playerbase, so we're stuck.
Same with POS' stuff. They probably have some great fixes that would be easy to code, but it would require a complete reset.

In the interest of communication, maybe CCP should approach the community about such things, if they exist. Maybe they'll find out that null-sec is actually open to going that far if it means a much better solution (it's a stretch, but I'm feeling optimistic today).

It's just a law of symmetry.

How many times have we read people demanding EvE to forever stick to an early 2000 game play, where you MUST be super-social, super committed, join super corps, basically live EvE (this usually happens in pro null seccers vs everyone else)? Else you are meant to have a miserable life, don't deserve any kind of reward, should possibly die slowly eaten alive by scarabs.

But many know this is not early 2000 any more and the world has changed and with it the playerbase has changed as well. Many MMOs had to adapt to the new players RL induced necessities or died.

In the same fashion, the glorious pre-2000 developers days have gone.

Even CCP employees often blame a lot the elder CCP developers and their "spaghetti, inestricable code" and even design decisions. But then, THOSE were the old school devs with loads and loads of vision.
Yes they coded in a furious and confused way yet THEY brought EvE to life not the SCRUM era employees.

Those early devs would also imagine those "Jesus expansions" and then deliver them - usually with tons of mistakes, incidents a la boot.ini but in the end the stuff was delivered.
Over time natural turnover, promotion etc. made those early devs slowly disappear or lose contact with the playerbase needs. They slowly got replaced by "new gen" devs and designers.

Technically these are more orderly, more adherent to good practices, more... a lot of stuff. Yet there's somehow less "Insanity and genius" about them, the epic taste has gone. Sure, having 2 years of bugfixes is nice and all, but is this all what we can aim to now? It's little creativity at work here. Worse, they are losing contact with the ever running evolution in the rest of the gaming world.
The gaming world don't care for academic achievements like proving a console game could attach into an existing MMO, it cared to get Wormholes. It cared to get playable WiS not a proof of concept engine.

Anyway CCP should try and get back some of those scarce visionary designers.

Imagine what a guy like Chris Taylor or Chris Roberts could do to EvE. People that could single handedly affect the gaming industry just because they thought farter and higher.
EvE should routinely beat itself. EvE should not just have "emergent gameplay" but used to be and should return being "emergent developing".

Example: EvE started with a revolutionary concept - and underlying technology - to allow a one shard universe.
That was emergent developing.

Example of the new course: TiDi. It's a nice concept but it's a "defensive, defeated guy approach" to tackle the issue it tries to fix. Had it been the "real" CCP they'd have concoted something absolutely incredible and bold, like i.e. introducing multi-threaded clusters, sub-grid dynamic players entities management and so on. All of this possibly created in a small room full of smoke, furiously coding 18h a day "a la old times" and possibly with who knows how many issues. But in the end it'd give a new generation of lag-less gameplay.

But as I said above, it's not golden times any more. Players would not accept having a less than 99.95% servers functionality even with such a feature being delivered. And devs would not accept the "18h a day in a small room full of smoke" old way of delivering stuff.

Therefore we are in a post-golden times gaming era, where players are not the ones we could have back in the day, nor developers.

Whoa.

Lots of truth there. And it's not a problem "by and of" CCP really. There's a lot of difference between the old school pre 2000 developers, many who got started in BASIC and C and the new school "frameworks kiddies".

You just had to bring up SCRUM too. I live too close to Redmond and have to put up with these SCRUM evangelists and their cargo cultists. FFS just get the damned code out and get it to work please.

Yeah, to take on super large projects requires some degree of insanity. Development was not originally an 8 hour a day cog in a wheel world. People with entire multi-thousand line programs or classes of them (or subroutines) in their head, debugging the hard way.. "try everything until it works" and you can't go home because it'll take half the day to figure out where you left off.

But those were good times. I wrote programs that parsed other programs to find Y2K bugs and was doing texture mapping in Java before there was Java2D and JOGL, Java3D and all that (we had to convert C++ programs written before OpenGL). Left IT after that to drive busses for a few years and recover from several previous years of less than 5 hours a night sleep.

Those were the days.

Get off my lawn.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#215 - 2013-11-21 05:03:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Anomaly One
so many bittervets in this thread...

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#216 - 2013-11-21 07:52:23 UTC
Xavier Higdon wrote:
I still cannot understand this trend today where people will continue to play, and in the case of EvE pay for, a game they repeatedly express dislike, disdain or outright hate towards. I stopped enjoying COD when they instituted massive lag compensation, and so I stopped playing. I didn't continue playing and rage on their forums, I just stopped. Yet the vast majority of detractors continued playing, even continued buying the add-ons, while complaining about it. I would like to know why. Why do you consume entertainment that you don't enjoy? Do you do so with all forms of entertainment? Do you watch TV shows that you hate in order to yell at the screen? I believe most of you would be displeased with EvE regardless if CCP added, removed and changed all the things you gripe about. If they removed CONCORD you'd complain that they turned the game into a third-person space shooter. If they hardened their servers to handle 10,000 players on grid you'd argue they were favoring large alliances. If they remove multiple accounts, you'd say they were making the game too hard for people that can't play all the time. People say they want something fixed, but in reality they just want to complain, to blame their failures on something or to make themselves appear smarter than the professionals behind a game without equal.

Maybe you stopped playing a FPS and started playing another FPS?

EVE is unique, so in case that you like some of it and dislike some of it, you're stranded in the middle of monopoly land. Either you leave and never play anything like EVE, or you bang your head on the wall until either your head breaks or the wall opens.

A bittervet is someone who likes the game enough to not want to leave it, but doesn't likes it enough to just conform to its limitations.

Finding out that there was a glass ceiling and nobody bothered to warn you is not funny. The obvious answer would be to leave for good. But with nowhere to go, that's been causing a lot of bitterness.

In a way, competence will be good for EVE. It will be freed from all the discontent inadapted players who may find a game more of their liking either with Elite or Star Citizen. In many senses, EVE will benefit from being a smaller game with less patrons asking for their favorite dish and CCP more or less atempting to please everyone.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#217 - 2013-11-21 10:08:16 UTC
There's one thing people should consider when they're saying "But they've done it in the past! They've released a LOT of content in one expansion, not just... patched the game again!". Let's take a look at Black Ops shall we, because they haven't been touched by the magic finger of Fozzie that makes things better.

- Only recently their bridging range was increased to a point it's no longer "JDC5 or don't bother flying a blops".
- They're reskins (used to be quite shoddy ones) of T1 battleships
- Their bonuses are simply hodgepodge. Panther is a battleship with a velocity bonus. Sin has an agility bonus (and is a cloaky droneboat, giving it an annoying habit of having drones on field when there's a need to leg it right here right now). You get the drill.

Magical "3 month" Apocrypha? T3's are still broken. They were "designed" as the pinnacle of versatility, instead they began to outshine some T2 ships in their roles. And that is after many, many fixes. The sub refitting looks kind of like a hack job that until recently made it impossible for them to refit in space. Oh and if you do trawl through the old forums, you'll see many patches brought with themselves issues that took months to fix (or more).

Nowadays it seems CCP thinks about what they're doing, actually having less bugs slip through the cracks and balancing things properly. Deploying things in small numbers and watching the community break it, then likely adjusting the plan. And that's good.

That said, a lot of people pull out the "Hisec is paying customers! CCP should cater to us!". It's kind of like jumping up, waving your hands and saying "We're the favorite players!". So, why CCP shouldn't make things safer, bah, they should add more means to generate conflict?

First, take a look at articles concerning EVE Online in news.

- Battle of Asakai was covered as a giant battle sparked by a single error backed up with a lot of bad calls.
- Disbanding and fall of the Band of Brothers
- Burn Jita
- Guiding Hand Social Club's murder of the Apocalypse Imperial Issue (I do believe that was the ship, my memory may be shoddy here)

There weren't any news concerning Joe the Carebear who plays single player. If we're talking money, let's be brutal: it's the ~ebil cawtels~ that generate ads. Their exploits make the gaming news (or news in general!) and have potential new players look at them and say: "wow, there's a game in which players can do that? I have to try this!"

Second: Conflict feeds the Cycle.
As a sandbox, EVE is built on greed. The greed of its players. Latest example? Fountain War.

For those who do not pay attention to 0.0 politics (and I can't blame them) the war didn't erupt because a bloc got bored or just felt like kicking more puppies. No. The CFC based its income largely on mining Technetium - having formed OTEC to control the price and fuel its SRP (and not only). With Technetium prices going down, CFC had a choice: start cutting things or look for alternative income streams.

Having the firepower advantage to invade, they chose the latter and invaded Fountain. The Fountain War erupted over moon minerals and a shift to rental income that came afterwards. It generated a lot of content and not just for "omg tidi blob" - fighting attracts vultures of various kinds and flushes cowards out of stations.

What many need to learn is to stop viewing themselves as outside of said cycle. We're all stuck in the same monopoly land of thievery, backstabbing (and front-punching) but each of us has a role to play here. The wall to break is big and scary, so it's best to call some friends - and since heads are poor at breaking walls, make friends not killmail with an industrialist that has a T2 Hammer BPC and will provide you all with hammers at a discounted price. Now you're properly armed to call it even with the damned wall.

And the best part of it is the fact Sandbox is so unpredictable. With assets having actual value (you lose it you lose it, that's done!) you either fight for what you own or lose it.

(I'd like to thank industrial corporations for being there when needed. If it wasn't for my cries 'A Zealot! My ISK for a Zealot!' being answered with a shiney new Zealot, I would've missed the November Massacre in Syndicate. And you guys generally make life less painful. CCP please look at what those guys need in terms of industry so that we get more of them.)

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Oxide Ammar
#218 - 2013-11-21 11:01:51 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:

I would much prefer to have

Corp Management Interface Overhauled,
Sov Mechanics reworked
Risk V Reward in regards to earning Isk fixed
Alliance Tax
Destructible Space Stations
The fabled Ring Mining Introduced
PoS's fixed.

These are things which have needed to be fixed for years and yet we are still waiting.

As much as I'm enjoying reading this thread and (I'm quietly didn't have the pleasure to read thread like this from long time in forums) I want to hi jack it regrading the SOV mechanics. I'm almost finishing my first year in EVE and most of the issues you mentioned and everyone complain about in forums can be felt day by day, but I keep reading about reworking the SOV mechanics without proper explanation about what is broken about it. Can someone elaborate this ? and why CCP can't/don't want to fix it ?

Lady Areola Fappington:  Solo PVP isn't dead!  You just need to make sure you have your booster, remote rep, cyno, and emergency Falcon alts logged in and ready before you do any solo PVPing.

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#219 - 2013-11-21 11:42:52 UTC
Oxide Ammar wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

I would much prefer to have

Corp Management Interface Overhauled,
Sov Mechanics reworked
Risk V Reward in regards to earning Isk fixed
Alliance Tax
Destructible Space Stations
The fabled Ring Mining Introduced
PoS's fixed.

These are things which have needed to be fixed for years and yet we are still waiting.

As much as I'm enjoying reading this thread and (I'm quietly didn't have the pleasure to read thread like this from long time in forums) I want to hi jack it regrading the SOV mechanics. I'm almost finishing my first year in EVE and most of the issues you mentioned and everyone complain about in forums can be felt day by day, but I keep reading about reworking the SOV mechanics without proper explanation about what is broken about it. Can someone elaborate this ? and why CCP can't/don't want to fix it ?

- Sov is a giant clusterfuck that costs a lot of ISK and effort while providing small value for line members in comparison to other income streams - like FW farming, wormholes or hisec mission running.
- The investment cost and slow rate of return are a huge deterrent when it comes to new groups trying to carve out some space for themselves.
- Structures have massive amount of hitpoints and it's very common that the defender is long gone due to crumbling morale (and sometimes even a failcascade) before the infrastructure falls, leaving the attacker to weeks of burning through structures.

So yeah it kind of needs some serious love.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#220 - 2013-11-21 14:09:56 UTC
Oxide Ammar wrote:

Basically, the current sov system requires only a massive concentration of force by both sides at a single point at a given time, to the point that there is absolutely no reason to feint or hold back reserves, or attempt any tactics like distraction or flanking to draw attention from a secondary objective, or to attempt anything other than "bring the most of your biggest ships you possibly can". As a result of this, it means it only needs a couple of fights to go one way before its abundantly clear to both sides who is going to win every major timer, so there becomes no reason for the guaranteed loser to bother contesting any further timers, leaving the collapse and months-long clean-up cycle that's mentioned above.