These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Could CCP be about to repeat Incarna?

First post First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#141 - 2013-11-19 06:20:22 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Not a clear trend according to objective data.

Maybe you should actually look at the charts rather than just link to them. Do you see the peak in 2011-01-06? Do you see the direction it takes from there? The one that wasn't reversed until 2011-11? It started with Incursion, not Incarna, and it ended with Crucible.

Or look here: http://eve.beyondreality.se/pics/PopAvgs.png - it's the same data, filtered to remove some of the noise. Again, look at the peak in 2011-01 (Incursion) and what happened afterwards. In particular, look at the rolling monthly/quarterly/half-yearly averages from that period all the way until 2011-11. Notice also that Incarna simply continued this trend — while it may indeed have made the trend more drastic, it certainly did not cause it. Also notice that in terms of peaks, there is one just before Incarna (it was an AT final and midsummer and pre-patch hype week-end — all of which were gone the next week).

I know that the pervasive narrative is that Incursion ruined everything. It didn't. It was a perfect storm of two cases of failed delivery, two cases of failed business model meddling, one or two cases of failed community outreach (depending on how you count), failed communication, and general technical failure. But it still wasn't the start. In reality, if you actually look at the data, it started with Incursion — a standard PvE expansion that do what PvE expansions always do: create a short-lived bump of interest which peters out quickly and leads into a decline of subs and activity. In retrospect, the only thing that keeps Incursion from being remembered as an abysmal failure is that the sheer drama of Incarna takes away attention from it and that drama and time proximity does curious things to how the brain sets up patterns of cause and effect.

It's entirely possible that the trend actually started with Tyrannis, but that there were enough good tools in the “patch” part of both it and Incursion (in other words, the first two stages of Incursion at the end of 2010) to keep people around. Also, it was only 6 months into the :18 months: so it wasn't as obvious yet that nothing was happening as it became in Incursion and the “expansion” content ran out after two weeks. What Incursion did was to fail to deliver the increase CCP were looking for, and instead made them lose subs at a rapid rate. Incarna later came along and cemented this trend and added enough outcry over the perfect storm to make people actually notice this loss. Also, note the timing of the lay-offs. They happened in October, three months after Incarna. Even though some 10% of the population was lost due to that storm, that's still far too little time to make that kind of large adjustment.

Again, the losses that caused the lay-offs started much earlier (just as the Incursion content was being consumed) and Incarna simply failed to reverse that trend the way they had hoped. Six months of nose-diving numbers and “the greatest expansion ever’ failing to deliver the influx of customers and cash that was needed to placate the investors and allow for sufficient recapitalisation to keep going as normal.

Quote:
Can't agree with you there. I've been here since 2009 continuous sub, always active ( and I had a trail in mid 2008) and I happen to agree with people saying that Odyssey was terrible, and that Rubicon is lackluster.

…and both are irrelevant for the purpose of predicting what will come out in 2018, just like how Red Moon Rising and Revelations could not predict what would happen in 2010–2011. It's simply too far off and it ignores the history of expansion releases. Hell, I'd say that if you only joined two years before Incarna, you don't have enough perspective (although it would explain the whole 2-year vs 5-year prediction error — you go with what you know, after all).

Quote:
Which is a reason for us to be concerned. We only have history to compare to, so it's understandable for people (with the other similarities) to assume something similar is going to happen.

It would be understandable if people made sensible comparisons. As it is, they're trying to equate a 2-year process (or less — the fabled :18 months:) with a 5-year one, even though the history they're supposedly referencing shows that it's nonsensical to do so. Again, trying to predict what will happen in 2018 based on a single expansion in 2013 is like trying to predict the Tyrannis-Incursion-Incarna triplet in 2006. If the rumoured space expanding was going to take place next winter, and we were currently being handed the equivalent of Tyrannis in terms of content, then maybe… but that expansion is five years off, not scheduled for a year from now.

And even then, a failed delivery and some communication problems only ticks one quarter of the boxes for the perfect-storm situation of Incarna.
CERA Elitist
The Prometheus Society
#142 - 2013-11-19 06:59:12 UTC  |  Edited by: CERA Elitist
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Here is the deal... Something might actually change the gaming industry completely very soon.

CCP knows this and that's why they put 20 engineers on certain project.

And no its not Star CItizen.

Consoles masterrace, nothings gonna change.

Its not the consoles either. Actually, it might even threaten consoles.

Which is why Sony is developing their own.

You know, one of the good things with being an old gamer (22 years on the fray here), is that it gives you perspective.

Virtual Reality is not going to change the fact that most existing games & genres are better played on a PC, with a mouse and a keyboard.

Certain games and certain genres may benefit from VR, but they're a small part of the total, and VR haves its own issues too.

Do you think that it would be cool to play a FPS in VR? Go try to stand up for one hour, holding a weapon mockup controller in your hands for all that hour. You'll learn a few funny things on human physiology.

How about a virtual interface, hovering virtually in the air so you must just raise your hands to use it? Guess how many times you'll be able to raise your arms to reach it before your elbows and shoulders start flashing warnings?

Make this experiment, place your keyboard vertically so you must push the keys rarther than press them down. Now write me an answer as long as this one, and tell me how it would feel after, say, one hour.

Virtual Reality haves its pros and its cons. And to gamers, it will be a toy... a expensive and fascinating toy, but eventually just a toy. At the end of the day, you'll be back to resting your arms on solid surfaces, and will wonder why in your VR game it feels so weird to speed up and slow down... or why it doesn't even haves those functions. (Clue: Valkyrie doens't haves brakes because slowing down is a very tricky issue. When your eyes "see" slowing down, your brain wants to check your feet, which obviously aren't there and the controller won't follow, so your brain, your inner ear and your self-perception tell you that you're looking at your feet but the eyes say "no, you're looking straight ahead" and then everyone goes bananas and you'll get motion sickness sooner than later... and so there's no braking in Valkyrie)

I don't understand this. You say that if I see my vehicle slowing down i'll want to check my feet?
I've never had that before.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#143 - 2013-11-19 07:56:45 UTC
Rekkr Nordgard wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
I just cannot get over this uneasy feeling that once the first player stargate actually gets constructed by some null alliance or other (cos stargates are probably gunna cost the equivalent of like 5 Titans and only null allainces will have the ISK) and people finally get to the other side it will look .... exactly like the rest of Eve.

The uneasy feeling should also come from seeing tons of development time being spent for a feature that only a tiny minority will ever be able to work with.

But VISION and stuff!!!

Then will come the reality check. Maybe not as dramatic as Dinsdale Piranha put it, but certainly there's going to be a lot of puzzled silent majority in the next expansions, much as now there's some disheartened bittervets.

CCP are marketing the game to themselves. They're developing what they want to sell, but I doubt that there's enough players willing to buy it as to justify the alienation of everyone else.

Expensive stargates to new space to plant a flag on, massive fights over them... that's nullsec gameplay.

Everyone else will get... huh... "crumbles", did Ripard Teg say?

So WHO is going to pay for it? Question

I already said it. At least WiS was transversal -affected everyone, everywhere. Now nullsec may get Sov fixed (or don't, i'm gonna crack myself laughing if post-Rubicon development precludes Sov fixes Lol) and also will be handed 3 years of dedicated, almost exclusive development for them.

It's a bold move, certainly. And CCP haves my simpaties for daring.

What they won't have it's my money.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#144 - 2013-11-19 08:15:40 UTC
…oh, and as far as five-year plans go, have a look at these two blogs from 2011 (and the twelve F&I threads connected to them) discussing long-term plans for nullsec.

In the initial blog, a vague idea of “improvements over a year or so” was put forward, but then the lay-offs happened and the focus was switched to fixing the game, so later on, it was revised to an even more vague some-time-in-the-future-maybe-five-years-or-so non-schedule. We're still 3+ years away from that, and it's entirely possible that the new vision is the first step towards actually implementing some of the ideas that came out of all that brainstorming and feedback.
Anomaly One
Doomheim
#145 - 2013-11-19 08:27:25 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
I just cannot get over this uneasy feeling that once the first player stargate actually gets constructed by some null alliance or other (cos stargates are probably gunna cost the equivalent of like 5 Titans and only null allainces will have the ISK) and people finally get to the other side it will look .... exactly like the rest of Eve.

It'll be pandas.

that would actually be hilarious, I hope CCP implements some subtle reference to it on the first stargate creation-jump P

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#146 - 2013-11-19 08:30:58 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Arduemont wrote:
http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Not a clear trend according to objective data.

Maybe you should actually look at the charts rather than just link to them. Do you see the peak in 2011-01-06? Do you see the direction it takes from there? The one that wasn't reversed until 2011-11? It started with Incursion, not Incarna, and it ended with Crucible.

Are you even reading the same graphs that I am? Also, the dates on the graph you linked are wrong. Incursions was released November 2010.

http://postimg.org/image/5x6311u2f/
http://postimg.org/image/w3yjonm5t/

Don't have time to go through the rest of your post. Off to work.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Signal11th
#147 - 2013-11-19 14:20:50 UTC
Be thankful your not egosoft at the moment, I imagine their accountants are crapping themselves at the moment. CCP take heed. :-)

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#148 - 2013-11-19 14:42:51 UTC
Signal11th wrote:
Be thankful your not egosoft at the moment, I imagine their accountants are crapping themselves at the moment. CCP take heed. :-)

Well, Egosoft are in standard release mode. Just wait 6 months and hope that some of the stinkiest bits aren't hardcoded.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

The Legendary Soldier
United.
#149 - 2013-11-19 14:45:13 UTC
JamDunc wrote:
Kate stark wrote:
judging by that quote nothing at ccp has changed.

Then they hired a bunch of guys from EA and clammed up again.

Oh No...

I saw what those guys did to Ultima Online Cry

Need to place a high-sec POS? Premade corps for sale, or your corps standings boosted. Trading since January 2012. Many corps sold/boosted - see my thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=63128&find=unread

Jassmin Joy
Pulling The Plug
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#150 - 2013-11-19 15:47:04 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
JamDunc wrote:
IThey sunk HUGE amounts of resources into it only to discover the players didn't want it

Are you kidding me? The player-base didn't want it? Of course they wanted it, and they still do. The reason everyone was pissed was because we never got it. We got one room, not even a multiplayer environment and a character creator that is worth **** all because no one ever sees your character.

People were pissed about Incarna because they failed to deliver, greed is good, they removed ship spinning and tried to force CQ on people. The CQ burned out people's graphics cards and wouldn't run on equipment that was well well above the recommended specs. That's why everyone was pissed. Not because they didn't want it.

I agree about everything else, by the way. I just cherry picked one of the only statements I disagree with.

I wish more people could read this, People seem to have totally forgot what it was all originally about.
Shariff Da'Laws
The Expatriate League
#151 - 2013-11-19 16:34:11 UTC
I don't think CCP is on any kind of approach to what went wrong in the lead up to Incarna. While there have been a few issues from the community relations part of CCP lately, the game development side seems to be solid.

Also, you put a bunch of information in your post that is inaccurate.

First, yes Hilmar's apology did seem like a last ditch attempt to salvage the situation, and the player response at the time was, "Words mean very little to us, but we will give you a chance to show us." Also, Zulu is the person to blame for 1000 dollar jean comments, not Hilmar.

The communication from the game development people hasn't slowed down at all recently, just look at the features and ideas section, or the videos leading up to Rubicon.

Now your list:

1 - First, it wasn't trillions worth of ships it was hundreds of billions, and Somer weren't the only fan created "content" that was given ships. While I personally don't think SomerBlink adds much to the game their donations to other events did. This is a relatively minor issue compared to the communication issues leading up to Incarna. CCP didn't ban anybody who recieved the ships from talking about it so they weren't trying to hide it, they just didn't announce it.

So, a big backlash from the community, and CCP stopped the program that resulted in the issue occurring, overall very minor impact on the game itself, only community relations suffered.

2 - The community event really had one big issue, its own popularity resulted in severe TiDi and many jumps through it. The only part of the devblog response about it that showed success was the number of people who attended, it mentioned that TiDi caused issues with it, and that in the future a Titan bridge or something similar might be used to alleviate the TiDi many jumps issue.

So, interesting event, much better for the Null Sec groups, but information for future events was learned, the real question is how many people will actually show up next time.

3 - Why do people keep putting this stupid crap out there, CCP's official response to clear it up was pretty straightforward. You can claim xPLAYERx is your alt if they are without repercussions. It is making the claim that you are a player you are not in an attempt to scam somebody that is the issue. Even then it was how they were doing it before their announcement, they were just trying to make it so people knew that is what they were doing.

So, a complete non-issue in the end, a little bit of a miscommunication about the announcement and initial response from some GMs on the forums, but mostly a bunch of people posting incorrect information like you months after it ended is the only real issue.

Now, the difference between the issues with Incarna and where we are today. First, a decent number of people actually were looking forward to walking in stations, it was the lack of any actual content after years of development that was the issue. Especially because other features and issues in space were not improved during that time.
The difference with Seagull's current plan is that the road to her vision allows for small steps to get there that add something to flying in space gameplay. A new method for things to be deployed to space by individuals arrives with Rubicon, as well as new ships useful . Both are good incremental steps towards Seagull's vision without making promises that can't be kept.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#152 - 2013-11-19 16:58:41 UTC
Quote:
Then we have the BIG one. Seaguls vision. Does anyone else remember the build up to Incarna? It was going to be awesome, it was going to be amazing, it was going to change the universe forever......but we can't tell you anything about how it will work. No we also can't tell the CSM.....you know for 'reasons'.

The community was very active in the development of this release.

You literally have no clue.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#153 - 2013-11-19 17:09:28 UTC
Do cats use the sandbox?

CCP - unbroken track record for 2 years running.
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#154 - 2013-11-19 17:13:56 UTC
I have removed a rant from this thread.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Abulurd Boniface
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#155 - 2013-11-19 17:25:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Abulurd Boniface
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

I can only imagine how excited someone in their mission Domi will be when they realize their system traversal times went up 50%.
Or now, gankers no longer need to worry about docking or an Orca, but can fit their gank boats in space. Plus, as an added bonus, they can change from a gank fit to a PvP fit in seconds, in space, making the life of someone with a kill right so much easier.
Or when someone is running around in low sec in some quiet spot, suddenly is tackled by an inty 8 seconds after it shows up on local. Yeah, the average player is going to LOVE spamming d-scan every 4 seconds.
Or that high sec industrialist suddenly finding out that goons now control every factory planet within 5 jumps of Jita, and their taxes just went through the roof, assuming the goons even allow people access to the planets.
Or some low sec indy corp, with a 2nd or 3rd tier moon that helps pay some bills,, suddenly becoming a losing proposition because griefers are perma spamming siphons.

Yeah, those players will be thrilled with these changes, and appear to just be the tip of the iceberg or future nerfs to the casual player's game style.

So when these players say, "OK, Eve is no fun now, I will go play something else", and leave, without saying a word, the effect is not known for months later.

I'm not buying it. EVE has evolved and changed with every expansion. The devs have communicated, rather splendidly too I believe, about rebalancing ships. Not one time, not twice, but time and again. The communication about ship rebalancing, a process that has been going on for a long time now, has been exemplary.

It is true that people will need to adapt to the new reality. But that has never been different.

There are now new challenges, but there are also a lot of new opportunities. This is EVE Online, it is not Candy Crush. You're supposed to use your brain when you do this. Cogitation is supposed to occur. The ship rebalances, the changes to warp speeds, the new space-deployable units and the Ghost sites, are new ways to engage us.

To say that people will run away because they can no longer mindlessly play space boat is not a compliment to the people doing this although, and it pains me to say it, for some people it might even apply.

This place is about the challenge. It is a stupendously rich environment where the player is invited to give expression to what they want to do in the environment, and to come up with ways to enhance the experience. That's what you came here for. That is what you're supposed to like doing. If not for that, why come here in the first place? To whine about the shaking screen and the loud noises?

The only thing that always has to stay the same is: that which is possible for one player has to be, or become, possible for every other player who wants to likewise engage.

Having been on the receiving end of freely distributed pirate munitions, I can tell you there is one thing about EVE that endeared me to these people: you get to shoot back. You are not supposed to take it lying down. There is no all-powerful faction, there are no ships that can't be destroyed. You don't owe anyone a play style, you make your own destiny. That's what you came here for.

If all that is too much of a burden, why does someone bother to make an account in the first place? And why do we have to be the victim of someone who can't find it within themselves to adapt and overcome? There are other places for them to be, there are other things for them to do. It'd be like someone with a huge stack of potatoes on their plate, bawling their eyes out and whining that they don't like potatoes while they're stuffing their face full of them. What sense would that make?

You don't want to 'get' what this is about or adapt to the changes [and there have always been changes], don't make it an issue. HTFU, give us your stuff and don't put yourself through this mental anguish by coming here griping about it.
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#156 - 2013-11-19 17:28:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
Dersen Lowery wrote:
The other way to look at CCP Seagull's vision is as a way to keep people's hopes up while CCP slogs through old code, because no end user who is not also a developer ever understands or cares how much work you do on the back end. The significance of the work is directly proportional to its visible effect on them.

Nobody remembers Incarna as "the CARBON Events expansion," even though the engine teams did heroic, post-doctorate-level work to make avatars possible in EVE at all, and that had a number of virtuous effects on the game. When they get the brain in a box going, or implement asynchornous messaging, nobody will remember the expansions (or updates) they appear in for those, even though they're two of the most significant upgrades that CCP could provide to the game. At best, at least in the near term, people will notice less TiDi.

As far as shiny new features go, sandboxes run under a different set of rules. Warp travel times are just about the only terrain in the game, and CCP is about to roll out changes to that terrain that nobody yet knows the significance of. It may look like a small change, or "just a database update," but small changes to a sandbox can have huge and far-reaching effects.

(Also, please think twice before posting the "just changing values in a database" line. The implementation may be simple, but the design--which numbers to change, and to what--is not. Get a number wrong, and things can break horribly. Ask any Goon.)

The above is all well and good, but the point that I keep on reiterating is that CCP is spread too thin. We have essentially the same small company that used to focus all of it's productivity into one game now spreading resources across EVE, Dust, Valkyrie and WOD (despite the fact the interest in metrosexual vampires has peaked). I understand that additional staff have been taken on and some outsourcing goes on, but the core team is essentially the same or indeed cut back from the post Incarna debacle. This unfortunately means that all of the games being developed by CCP are suffering not just Eve.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#157 - 2013-11-19 20:20:25 UTC
I have removed a rule breaking post and those quoting it.

The rules:
11. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a petition under the Community & Forums Category.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#158 - 2013-11-19 20:29:43 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
Are you even reading the same graphs that I am? Also, the dates on the graph you linked are wrong. Incursions was released November 2010.

http://postimg.org/image/5x6311u2f/
http://postimg.org/image/w3yjonm5t/

Yes we are. You're just not getting the dates right.

Incursion Stage #1 was released November 30 — 41 days later than what you've indicated, and was a minor bugfix patch.
Incursion Stage #2 was released December 14 — 55 days later than what you've indicated, and was more bugfixes and the removal of learning skills.

At this point, the numbers were still going up.

Incursion Stage #3 was released January 18 — 90 days later than you've indicated. This was the release of the big “expansion” with new PvE content and a new character generator. The dates in my graph are 100% accurate.

At this point, the average user count started to go down. The same week the actual “expansion” part of Incursions was released, the trend started. In the five months to the release of Incarna, the averages went from 44k to 37k. In the five months between Incarna and Crucible, when the trend was finally broken because the focus had shifted from “MMO expansion”-style content to game fixes and sandbox-style content (i.e. enhanced tools). Both server activity and the rare subscriber numbers demonstrate this pattern.

In terms of player loss, Incarna was a continuation of a trend, not the cause of it. If we're going to compare things to Incarna, let's at least get the facts straight about what happened, when it happened, why it happened, but also about what didn't happen.
Jythier Smith
BGG Wolves
#159 - 2013-11-19 20:31:58 UTC
Charts are all specifically designed to show what the designer wants to show as opposed to what is actually going on.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#160 - 2013-11-19 20:36:19 UTC
Jythier Smith wrote:
Charts are all specifically designed to show what the designer wants to show as opposed to what is actually going on.

I'd be interested to see a chart over the user activity data that shows the activity going up (or even staying level) in the period…

…well, without falsifying the data, that is.