These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Could CCP be about to repeat Incarna?

First post First post
Author
JamDunc
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#21 - 2013-11-16 15:55:17 UTC
Broker Agent wrote:
didn't you hear? Dust is actually dying. No, I mean it. Really.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=dust

I'm not sure. They do seem to have been able to hold onto that 4000 max players online in 24 hours for quite awhile now. Seems like the fall has hit a bottom at least in the short term.

The next few months will be interesting as the PS4 gets into more and more homes.
marVLs
#22 - 2013-11-16 15:55:30 UTC
JamDunc wrote:

They sunk HUGE amounts of resources into it only to discover the players didn't want it (even though they had been hyped by the non information) all that Dev time goes to waste.

You're wrong here, everyone wanted it and want it still but in proper way, not single room slo-mo doll
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#23 - 2013-11-16 15:56:14 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
JamDunc wrote:

If that was true, then people would not have been screaming to direct resources to Spaceships, they would have demanded more resources to Avatars/CQ/Stations. Unless I remember wrong, there really weren't that many people screaming for less resources to be directed at Ships.

That's because everyone assumed the 12 months of almost no content they got before Incarna was because CCP had been spending it developing that one CQ. When 90% of their development time had likely gone into the development of the CARBON engine.

Developing an engine is not a small feat. Developing one room for a 3D avatar to walk around is a small feat. That engine by the way, then brought a plethora of awesome changes in Crucible. Like most of the V3 textures, Time Dilation, all the new UIs, the basis for the new Crime watch system, etc etc etc.

Slight correction, it where those infamous 18 month's of almost nothing.
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#24 - 2013-11-16 15:56:25 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Look at apocrypha thats what you get when they go big on space game play expansion. I am pretty sure this is thr big thin seagull means with her vision.

Bullshit. I'll believe that when I see it.

incarana was making an avatar experience from scratch. and they changed thier minds about it soo many times that is why we were forced to play a prototype untill crusable.

now seagulls plans are all for in space stuff...

and thats cool to me.

so call bull all you want... and bring out that crystal ball.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

JamDunc
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#25 - 2013-11-16 15:57:46 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
[quote=JamDunc]That engine by the way, then brought a plethora of awesome changes in Crucible. Like most of the V3 textures, Time Dilation, all the new UIs, the basis for the new Crime watch system, etc etc etc.

Do you have any sources for that? Not trying to put you on the spot, I would be really interested to read about that.
Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#26 - 2013-11-16 16:11:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
JamDunc wrote:
Arduemont wrote:
JamDunc wrote:
That engine by the way, then brought a plethora of awesome changes in Crucible. Like most of the V3 textures, Time Dilation, all the new UIs, the basis for the new Crime watch system, etc etc etc.

Do you have any sources for that? Not trying to put you on the spot, I would be really interested to read about that.

Sure, let me see if I can find the CARBON dev blog. I'll edit it into this post when I find it.

Edit: Alright, I found only a couple of loosely associated dev blogs that imply what I was saying, but I think the CCP website says it better.

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/company/technology

Quote:
Carbon Cluster Technology is the Peak Concurrent User record breaking cluster framework that out-scales all other MMOs in providing a single player universe experience.

TiDi

[quote]What is in the Carbon Framework?

The Trinity Graphics Engine renders the stunning appearance of our virtual worlds. Since 2003, it has powered the graphics of EVE Online, and during this time has been constantly improved to maintain its position at the cutting edge of graphics technology.
The Carbon Technical Art Pipeline converts visually stunning artwork into detailed models and textures that can be rendered by Trinity. This optimized process represents ten years of experience for both in-house and outsourced art production.

The V3 changes.

Unfortunately most of the good blogs etc seem to now be error 404 web pages (ie, not found). If anyone else can find anything better, please do. That's all the motivation I have for searching for it. As for the fact that Carbon was integrated during Incarna, you can see that on the official expansion website.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2013-11-16 16:16:09 UTC
Talking about vision...

Incarna
49,5% aurum
49,5% vampires
0% content
1% what people were expecting to get

Dust
100% console
0% pc
Impressive chat link
Totally random players
Not playable for most existing eve players
Clutter on station name lists

Next thing they make can't fail.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#28 - 2013-11-16 16:31:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
The whole Incarna mess was initially pretty much down to the lack of perceived content vs the promised content. They promised the earth, and delivered a "micro transaction" shop and a dingy room that turned GPUs into small suns. Then came greed is good, $1000 pants and weeks of questions, especially about "gold ammo and ships" remaining unanswered. In short they delivered a half baked expansion, with no gameplay improvements, that killed hardware and managed to severely insert vulgarity of choice off pretty much everybody in the process. All this while many core elements of the game were broken.

Looking back Incarna was actually a good thing. CCP have since embarked on a massive rework of the serious business of Internet Spaceships, they're a lot more involved with the community and there seems to be a lot of our feedback being involved in parts of the dev process.

The whole Somer thing and other recent cockups, they're an example of Murphys Law, they should have been more open about the ships being handed out to people, especially when it involves gambling, the faintest sniff of favoritism and the devious bunch of miscreants that make up the majority of Eve players.

As for Seagulls vision, I sincerely hope they pull it off because if they do, it could well be epic in scope.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Isis Dea
Society of Adrift Hope
#29 - 2013-11-16 16:44:44 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

As for Seagulls vision, I sincerely hope they pull it off because if they do, it could well be epic in scope.

In space maybe. Some of us would rather see WiS implemented and more DUST integration.

Space has had its fair share of fixes and overall is in a good state with all the balance changes. How about going back to that 2006 promise of life outside the pod? -Now, preferably, the room?

More Character Customization :: Especially compared to what we had in 2003...

OldWolf69
EVE-RO
Goonswarm Federation
#30 - 2013-11-16 16:51:51 UTC
..."about"? We talk in 3-4 days "about" this.Lol
Doc Severide
Doomheim
#31 - 2013-11-16 16:56:12 UTC
I got some damned good input here. But I'm not giving it because I've got "reasons"...

But this is just another AFK Cloaking thread anyway isn't it?

Everyone is always repeating the mantra "Don't Trust Anyone" ad nauseum... If I can't trust the guys I play with, why bother playing with them at all? Fly Solo...

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#32 - 2013-11-16 16:58:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Isis Dea wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

In space maybe. Some of us would rather see WiS implemented and more DUST integration.

Space has had its fair share of fixes and overall is in a good state with all the balance changes. How about going back to that 2006 promise of life outside the pod? -Now, preferably, the room?

I wouldn't be adverse to some more avatar based stuff, I think it'll come, and I think we'll probably see some of it, or at least the supporting code for it, appear in the 5 year plan. It's very much a jesus feature, if it's expanded upon it has to be done right they can't risk another Incarna.

Space should always receive attention, it's the mainstay of the game and always will be.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#33 - 2013-11-16 17:04:49 UTC
Visions are fine, but the bottom line is that you have to deliver.

If this vision turns out to be another half-assed captains quarters debacle, there will be hell to pay.
El 1974
Green Visstick High
#34 - 2013-11-16 17:05:36 UTC  |  Edited by: El 1974
Their vision is vague. All I see is that CCP seems to think that we like to shoot at structures (Poco's, deployable crap). They even asked for ideas for even more structures for us to shoot at. I'd rather have them fix sov warfare than give us ever more structures to shoot at.
Princess Bride
SharkNado
#35 - 2013-11-16 17:59:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Princess Bride
The only thing that makes me nervous about this expansion is its name. Rubicon: the point of no return. It implies changes that cannot be reversed, no matter what, do or die, succeed or close the doors forever. It sounds like an appropriate name for an expansion changing Eve to F2P, or some other major shift. But I don't see evidence of that kind of permanent "things will never again be the same" plan in the dev notes, so I'm probably just paranoid.

I hope that's the case anyway.

http://eveprincessbride.wordpress.com/

Inquisitor Ageri
Doomheim
#36 - 2013-11-16 18:18:39 UTC
I think a lot of the exasperation comes from the stance within the playerbase that there are a huge amount of features and systems within the EVE client that have not been touched for the past six or seven years, and are extremely out-of-date, whilst more superficial features such as ship designs and shaders get the full treatment with each expansion. EVE is gradually getting a DX11 facelift whilst some of its' core gameplay is very much outdated - that is what makes me uneasy about its' future.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#37 - 2013-11-16 18:27:02 UTC
JamDunc wrote:

If that was true, then people would not have been screaming to direct resources to Spaceships, they would have demanded more resources to Avatars/CQ/Stations. Unless I remember wrong, there really weren't that many people screaming for less resources to be directed at Ships.

Bullcrap.

They were screaming for things in the game to be fixed, that had been forever broken.

"Spaceships" were just a small part of that massive issue.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#38 - 2013-11-16 18:51:43 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Look at apocrypha thats what you get when they go big on space game play expansion. I am pretty sure this is thr big thin seagull means with her vision.

The fun part about Apocrypha is that that expansion (always pointed as the best or one of the best EVE expansion ever) wasn't originated by direct input from playerbase. Nobody was asking for that kind of stuff, the release wasn't neither planed and came on a 3 months cycle base instead of the ususal 6 and was considerated a mini-expansion.

The crowdfounding scheme based on "let's see what they ask louder on the forum and fix it" is not itself bad, but cannot supply the lack of a solid game design.

The small fixes policy is cheap and good marketting-wise, but medium and long term game design (if they're interested in it) requires higher level analysys, point ov view and strategic approach. That's what actually CCP lack.

And requires some decent lead game designers.

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-11-16 18:57:29 UTC
I just hope they don't release avatar and such through WoD and leave EVE without it.

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

xxVastorxx
Invisible Operations
Invisible.
#40 - 2013-11-16 19:21:23 UTC
I'm sure at the next fanfest Players will be asking alot of questions about the recent events then forewarding it to the community.