These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Warp Drive Active - Warp Acceleration Changes With EVE Online: Rubicon

First post First post
Author
Jason Xado
Doomheim
#61 - 2013-11-16 04:39:01 UTC
This is huge.
Pirmasis Sparagas
Bullet Cluster
#62 - 2013-11-16 05:45:04 UTC
WHAT ABOUT SHUTTLES???
Lord Timelord
GETCO
#63 - 2013-11-16 06:05:19 UTC
Gaia Ma'chello wrote:
My freighter alt, who does lots and lots of short warps, hates you.

Megumi Ohsawa wrote:
If I understand correctly, the freighters will double the time spent on warp under 50AU which is an important part of the warps they are doing in empire.
So the round trip of 35 jumps will not take 3 hours but 6 hours, in manual control, approximately.

Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
CCP Dolan wrote:
Gotta go fast! Check out all the details behind the warp speed changes coming in EVE Online: Rubicon on November 19th here.

So, if I have read correctly:

Today:

1) My fast and rigged ships warp so fast that I get a timer preventing me from jumping in the next system until said timer is over.

2) My freigthers are boring and slow like molasses.

After Rubicon:

1) My fast and rigged ships will warp faster so I'll have to wait longer at the next gate before the timer clears them to warp.

2) My freighters will become even more boring to fly.

Is this change basically only aimed at who uses interceptors in deep null sec, in those 200 AU long systems?

CCP, the above posters have a valid point. Freighter and Jump Freighter Pilots are going to be pulling their hair out from adding EVEN MORE TIME needed to do hauling logistics over numerous jumps between regions when hauling goods. The rest of the ships look good, but the Tech 1 and Tech 2 Freighters are going to need some tweaking!
Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#64 - 2013-11-16 07:01:40 UTC
Slow freighters can only be good for the regional markets. Now everything is Jita + 5%.

Subrahmaya Chandrasekhar
#65 - 2013-11-16 07:29:48 UTC
Travel time test

Ordion Amarr Navy Testing Facilities moon 16 to Jita 4-4 (23 jumps)
undocking to docked manual warp time in a Nightmare faction battleship with no special rigs or mods that affect warp,
no implants that affect warp
all relevant navigational skills at level 5
no gate delays or delays in manual warping*

Time on Tranquility = 28 minutes 12.3 seconds

Time on Sisi = 36 minutes 42.5 seconds

* ran through all the gates on Sisi before the test to make sure they were all online and there were no delays.
Paxte Eriker
EVE University
Ivy League
#66 - 2013-11-16 07:45:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Paxte Eriker
edit: nww, need to remember to read the entire dev blog.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#67 - 2013-11-16 08:33:00 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
Slow freighters can only be good for the regional markets. Now everything is Jita + 5%.

That's not due to freighters speed but to information propagation speed.

When you can instantly see the price of every trade hub in the game (by using EvE Central or one of many websites), you are instantly informed about the current price over there. A delay of 45 minutes to bring stock there vs former 30 minutes is not going to change anything.

Your objection would hold if ships had to pay fuel (the cost would affect stock), gate fees and whatever that in RL really plays a role on prices.
Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#68 - 2013-11-16 08:55:59 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:

That's not due to freighters speed but to information propagation speed.

When you can instantly see the price of every trade hub in the game (by using EvE Central or one of many websites), you are instantly informed about the current price over there. A delay of 45 minutes to bring stock there vs former 30 minutes is not going to change anything.

Your objection would hold if ships had to pay fuel (the cost would affect stock), gate fees and whatever that in RL really plays a role on prices.

Technically it may be more expensive per jump as I can't imagine Red Frog will keep their prices if the trips takes 50-100% longer.

Now I would love to see import/export fees being charged by the empires at their borders (and it would give us a proper smuggling profession at the same time).
El 1974
Green Visstick High
#69 - 2013-11-16 09:52:36 UTC
Maximizing decelleration at 2 is not really a handsome solution. It results in the most important phase (decelleration) being the same for all fast ships. I'd rather see a more complex solution like: k=(2/A)-2 (making it vary between -0.5 and -1.75 for values between 1.36 and 8).
Even better would be a variation where you trade some of the max warp speed of slower ships for a bit faster decelleration. At present it's mostly the decelleration making the difference between shipclasses, not the warp speed.
Von Reichenbach
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#70 - 2013-11-16 11:38:22 UTC
I would like to weigh in on the impact on freighters.

I can only see this raising prices on everything. Hauling from the far reaches to Jita will take up to fifty percent longer, which in turn will lower the amount of shipments possible. As Jita prices are the standard all prices are set, and logistical prices "should" go up, distribution back out to the reaches will be impacted again.

I understand the intent of the change... but this is gonna hurt a lot more people than just the haulers. Lets hope the interceptor enjoy their "Ludicrous speed"... My alt most likely will stop hauling. That's ok, capsuleers don't like carebears anyways.

Von
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#71 - 2013-11-16 11:41:28 UTC
The overall idea is to spread out the warp speed spectrum so that small ships warp significantly faster than big ships. I don't see anyone disagreeing with this general idea. Unfortunately due to physics constraints the spectrum can't be entirely shifted downwards. Therefore large ships have to warp slower than now. EVE isn't built on the fact that it takes X minutes to get a freighter from Jita to Amarr. So what if it takes X*1.5 now?

If anything, the freighter change specifically encourages outsourcing hauling to 3rd party companies, which promotes player interaction.

I fly freighters, JFs and caps frequently and I am fine with losing a little for a change that will benefit the whole game.
Cass Lie
State War Academy
Caldari State
#72 - 2013-11-16 11:44:14 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:

Technically it may be more expensive per jump as I can't imagine Red Frog will keep their prices if the trips takes 50-100% longer.

Now I would love to see import/export fees being charged by the empires at their borders (and it would give us a proper smuggling profession at the same time).

This is a great idea actually. A very slight tax on imported goods on a high sec - high sec border, lower or no tax on a low (null) - high entrance. Would cause a lot of uproar, but would also be really cool.
Sgt Oddbodge
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#73 - 2013-11-16 12:02:03 UTC

As a freughter pilot i now spend now much of my time looking at the wormhole effect as it is.

My route is mainly 30 jumps of 20-40 au's per jump with a few 50+ au jumps thrown in.

If i read the change correctly correctly my freighter will now warp at 1.36 and take 78-100 secs per jump, while the old took 55-95 secs per jump.

Which is 23-5 seconds per jump added.

You gave 3 solutions to increaceing your warp speed.

1. Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer rigs whih cant go on a freigter.
2. Use a Strategic Cruiser module which cant go on a freighter.
3. Plug in an implant ... may do usefull depending on which slot it is on and what i already have in that slot.

If i choose the implant option then my warp speed changes from 1.36 to 2.17 (60% increace iirc) whch places it on your data table between BS and T2 BS range. i will ignore the low percentage implant already available.

This will allow my warp in about the same time as i currently do before this change.

While the change will allow more price fluctuation between regions, it will also make jita even more powerfull as a go to place. If that is possible.

Please change freighter and JF to be usable as a freighter in the time available for people to play.

For any freighter pilot who spend too long in warp, this change will convert eve online into "watch futurama's hypnotoad" hyperspace effect.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#74 - 2013-11-16 12:02:12 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
The overall idea is to spread out the warp speed spectrum so that small ships warp significantly faster than big ships. I don't see anyone disagreeing with this general idea. Unfortunately due to physics constraints the spectrum can't be entirely shifted downwards. Therefore large ships have to warp slower than now. EVE isn't built on the fact that it takes X minutes to get a freighter from Jita to Amarr. So what if it takes X*1.5 now?

If anything, the freighter change specifically encourages outsourcing hauling to 3rd party companies, which promotes player interaction.

I fly freighters, JFs and caps frequently and I am fine with losing a little for a change that will benefit the whole game.

You losing a little when freighting may take twice as long? Do you even know someone who's got a life beyond playing EVE? Roll

These changes mean that hisec second class players will be forced to pay for the privilege to not waste their precious leisure time just moving stuff from A to B. Hauling yourself is a non-option if you used to spend a whole gameplay session hauling and fancy to not spend two days doing what you used to do in one day.

Taking a terrible feature and making it worst is not good game design. But then, this is CCP.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#75 - 2013-11-16 12:05:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Sgt Oddbodge wrote:
(...)

Please change freighter and JF to be usable as a freighter in the time available for people to play.

(...)

If you don't second-job EVE, then you're playing it wrong. Roll

marly cortez
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#76 - 2013-11-16 12:06:49 UTC
I can see a lot of Ratting Carriers, Marauders and Mining Gear coming on the market cheap very shortly followed by a drop in membership, Way to go CCP.

Humanity is the thin veneer that remains after you remove the baffled chimp.

unimatrix0030
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2013-11-16 12:46:29 UTC
Maybe a stupid question but does the autopilot (who many pilots use as a way to plan the fastest route) now take into account the ranges between stargates when setting a route?

No local in null sec would fix everything!

Maul555
Xen Investments
#78 - 2013-11-16 15:52:13 UTC
I understand all the mixed reactions, especially when your favorite ships are getting a bit slower, but I think that this adds a lot more realism and is probably long overdue...
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#79 - 2013-11-16 18:00:01 UTC
Maul555 wrote:
I understand all the mixed reactions, especially when your favorite ships are getting a bit slower, but I think that this adds a lot more realism and is probably long overdue...

Want realism? Let me light a cyno above Jita 4-4. Roll

Red Frog Rufen
Red Frog Freight
Red-Frog
#80 - 2013-11-16 19:32:22 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Red Frog Rufen wrote:

which required 6b and a whole lot of other skill useless to high-sec traveling.

JF are not faster in warp than freighter, they only align faster.

They are faster. If my memory does not fail a freigther goes at 0.7 and a JF at 0.75 or so.

Your memory is failing you! :)

they are both at 0.75 wihtout implants.