These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Minmatar vs Gallente cruisers (PVP)

Author
Nova Violet
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-11-15 10:41:56 UTC
Topic says it all, can't find a single good thread about this that takes into account recent changes. Let me know your opinion!
kurage87
EVE University
Ivy League
#2 - 2013-11-15 10:46:13 UTC
Carebear uni noob opinion it might be, but afaik Gallente are broadly speaking the strongest race and Minmitar the weakest. This doesn't account for individual ships or matchups, it's just a birds eye view.
Chi Garu
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-11-15 11:06:02 UTC
Are we talking cruiser class hulls as a whole or just the T1 lineup?
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#4 - 2013-11-15 11:33:28 UTC
The only cruiser minmatar have that really stacks up against the gallente ones is the Scythe fleet issue.

The Rupture and the stabber aren't awful per say, i just think the gallente ones are better.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Froggy Storm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2013-11-15 12:30:44 UTC
Without some more guides to base off of, opinions are going to be vague at best. Thanks to tiericide the T1 cruiser line ups are pretty decent across the board. That said there are of course different meta strategy for each hull/race that tends to stack them better or worse against each other.

And that is before even mentioning skill layout or pilot style.

For my personal opinion I like the gal lineup a bit better for the drone option. Particularly sentry vex.
Nova Violet
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-11-15 13:21:55 UTC
Chi Garu wrote:
Are we talking cruiser class hulls as a whole or just the T1 lineup?

T2 also, but it looks like from even these general opinions that people tend to lean towards Gallente.
Marc Callan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-11-15 13:23:33 UTC
From my experience, a Stabber's got a much more forgiving engagement envelope than a Thorax, and can be useful against a wider range of targets, as well as being more resistant to capacitor warfare. A blaster Thorax has to get up close and personal, while a rail Thorax can run into problems with transversal.

As far as the heavy cruisers go, I don't have much experience with the Rupture, but the Vexor can throw a hideous punch, and can set you up for that punch in a number of different ways.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#8 - 2013-11-15 13:32:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Lloyd Roses
Stabber is a moving scrambler, thorax actually is a real ship. Arty makes the rupture non-crap, but you need a dozen friends before you can pop anything. And you could have also went out with railthoraxes, which are just better at that engagement range.

The Vexor is just godlike. There is no second ship like the vexor among any race's line-ups. (meaning no other T1 cruiser that goes rampage like a vexor does)
Meyr
Di-Tron Heavy Industries
OnlyFleets.
#9 - 2013-11-15 14:09:59 UTC
Gallente typically have better paper-DPS numbers with short-range weapons, but have trouble applying it, and everything has decent Kin/Therm resistances. Also, the typical Gallente armor tank makes for a slower ship, adding to your difficulties in applying DPS.

Minmatar typically fight in falloff (go to the Eve Uni Wiki for a brief explanation of terms and the basic math behind gunnery), have lower paper-DPS numbers, but, with selectable damage types, have similar, or even better, DPS application. They also have better base speed, making catching your opponent a bit easier.

The above was for short-range guns.

For long-range guns (they recently received a nice bump), the general rule is that "KITING" (fighting outside of web range, but inside of Warp Disruptor, or 'point' range) is preferred. This involves fitting for speed, and a shield tank, with most of your powergrid devoted to large guns.

Surprisingly, Gallente ships stack up fairly well in this regard, particularly the Thorax, but don't underestimate the Vexor, either. That said, Minmatar ships, once again, with their higher base mobility, make dictating range to your opponent easier.

Railguns (Gallente) do better DPS, and, with better tracking, apply it a bit easier, too. However, Artillery (Minmatar) have the highest alpha (damage inflicted in a single strike, or 'volley') at all levels, with selectable damage types, and thus have better capability of hitting your enemy's weak spot.

Feel free to mix-and-match, too. Nothing says you can't shield tank short-range ships, and a shield-tanked Vexor is the highest-DPS cruiser in the game, fully capable of absolutely melting bigger ships under the right circumstances.

Gallente tend to be a bit more skill-intensive, requiring good Drone skills, in addition to tanking and Gunnery, with Minmatar requiring Missiles on selected hulls.

HAVE FUN!

TL;DR - Gallente have better DPS, but more difficulty applying it. YMMV (your mileage may vary, use the above at your own risk, if you undock in something you can't afford to lose, you will surely lose it).
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#10 - 2013-11-15 14:23:27 UTC
I think the stabber compares decently to the thorax because of the falloff bonus, but I've flown neither extensively enough to have a favorite.

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

bubble trout
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-11-15 15:10:16 UTC
T1 minmatar is weak atm. There are some bright spots in the T2 line up, but honestly if I had to pick where to start RIGHT NOW gallente is what I'd suggest. Hybrids+ drones are stronger in a lot more areas than projectiles and missiles are.

You CAN make minmatar work but it takes a lot of time to kill something when you have lower ehp, paper dps, and you are fighting in deep falloff.

Don't let anyone tell you what to fly though, most ships are much more balanced than they were before ccp got to teiracide. Be a snowflake and learn your ship and you might just surprise people.

RIP winmatar
Chessur
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#12 - 2013-11-15 16:18:20 UTC
The Scythe fleet issue, is hands down one of the top cruisers in the game. However post RLM nerf, it will become trash.

In specific regards to the T1 lineup, minmitar have nothing of note. Stabber is horrible 100% of the time, and the arty rupture only see some small use inside of gangs.

SFI is another horrible ship

When it comes to T2 ships-

Vaga is horrible, as it has no projection.
Munin is again like the rupture- useful only for arty gangs.

Gallente on the other hand, share some of the best ships in the game, along with the amarr.

Rail rax
Rail Diemos
Rail Navy Exeq
Ishtar

All of those ships are really, really good.
Jon Joringer
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-11-15 17:22:14 UTC
The best cruiser offerings of Minmatar are most certainly the Stabber Fleet and the Scythe fleet. The former still excels as a low-sig, afterburning, active-armor brawler. Anyone who tells you the Stabber Fleet is **** doesn't know what they're talking about. And the latter, well the Scythe Fleet can do just about anything -- incredibly versatile and does well in a lot of roles.

However, Gal totally wins in the T1 line-ups of both races -- Minnie is incredibly weak right now. I attribute this mostly to the increase of general speed in all non-Minnie races, the insane dps of blasters and also the TE nerf.
illirdor
Upper Class Goat
#14 - 2013-11-15 19:15:31 UTC
Meyr wrote:
if you undock in something you can't afford to lose, you will surely lose it

Thats is a pretty stupid thing to say.. you dont lose somthing just because you cant afford to lose it..

Soooo this is my sig.... 

Taoist Dragon
Okata Syndicate
#15 - 2013-11-15 20:12:11 UTC
Gall by far have the best tank/gank ratios between the two.

Minnie are way more versitile.

Minnie can get close enough numbers to tank/gank as Gall but that then put then in direct conflict within the prefered gall engagment boundaries.

I agree with previous posters that the minnies are nowhere near as strong v the other races after the T1 rebalances given the huge speed/damage increases the other have gotten. Very few of the minnies had these increased.

Having said that some of the arguement around fighting deep falloff etc are not as convicning as minnie have always done that. One of if not the biggest strength for minnie was the GTFO factor allowing you to escape and evade an engagement that wasn't going your way. Minnie damage was very rarely the biggest in any of the classes. But now the 'speed/mobility advantage' is vastly reduced, sometimes even gone, that GTFO factor is much much lower.

For a newer played I say the FOTM is Gallente and it will be easier to play within the current metagame if you pick them. If you want to learn more about the game pick minnie. My personal preference is minnie/amarr (cos I don't like the weird techno-organic look to the gall ships, apart from incursus/comet)

That is the Way, the Tao.

Balance is everything.

Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-11-15 21:17:20 UTC
When I started in 2007, someone that I viewed as a pvp pro (I have no idea if he was or not) told me this:

Minmatar are hard to fly, hard to skill for and their hulls are extremely unforgiving when you make a mistake. But in the hands of a max-skilled master pilot, most Minmatar ships have no equal. Correct or not, I believed it then and I still believe it today.

Then came the age of Nano, then nano nerf, then Winmatar and DRAEK. And Scorch.

And now, Tiericide (and Hurricane-icide and DRAEK-icide (they forgot to Scorch-icide, but thats ok). But I think we are generally back to most races have pretty good line ups now. Minmater are the least exciting on paper. They are still fast as hell. I still believe that in the hands of an excellent pilot with excellent skills, Minmatar have the greatest ability to pull off the greatest against-the-odds fighting feats of the spacelanes. That is just a guess though, because I almost never see them anymore.

I've flown Gallente through it all, good or bad, because I just like the techno-organic look of the Gallente ships. And really no other reason.

Right now, Gallente cruisers seem really good in the kind of fighting I do, because FW plex gates allow more chances to start at 0. But I still wont go more than 10km from a gate against anyone in a Minmatar ship. Its a death sentence.

Regardless - its a new meta. People took forever to adopt the Drake, and look what it did. It will be fun to see how this all shakes out.

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-11-15 22:39:25 UTC
Gallente, mainly for the Vexor and the Ishtar. If there were ever jack of all trades ship, it's these two.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Niclas Solo
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2013-11-16 05:09:49 UTC
I mostly fly gallente hulls, Ishtar, Myrm and Eos but i have minmatar weapon on them all. Big smile
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#19 - 2013-11-16 07:58:27 UTC
The most important thing I've learnt in EVE so far is that never believe anything about spaceships at face value on the forums.

Form your own opinions, they are the only ones that matter to you anyway.

Skurja Volpar
T.R.I.A.D
Ushra'Khan
#20 - 2013-11-16 12:50:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Skurja Volpar
Poor Minmatar cruisers aren't in a great place right now, not including faction. The ruppy is a serviceable brawler, not bad but nothing to cheer about, and as an arty platform it feels way too slow outside of big fleets where your not going to be an obvious primary. Not great but I'd take it over a Maller at least.

And the stabber, well, anemic DPS, even with cheese fit RLMLs in the spare highs, poor tank, and speed which while nice doesn't really elevate it to anything special...

BUT that said, I have more fun with it than pretty much anything else. Sometimes power, effectiveness and meta game viability get locked in a small box, and then there's nothing better than MWDing your way round the galaxy on that little harassment rocket. Despite how bad it looks when compared to the big boy cruisers, the Stabber is the perfect embodiment of good times with spaceships. Actually not an awful arty platform either.

TBH if they buffed it too much I'd probably decide it'd sold out and start flying caracals instead.

Gallente are just strait up good. Pfff.
12Next page