These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Warp Drive Active - Warp Acceleration Changes With EVE Online: Rubicon

First post First post
Author
CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#41 - 2013-11-15 19:19:32 UTC
CCP Masterplan wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
OMG! MATH! GRAPHS! SPREADSHEETS!

CCP Masterplan's masterpiece! Big smile

Now if CCP Masterplan and CCP Punkturis co-authored a dev blog for added elements:
* Usage of pink.
* Watermark.
* Hand-drawn art.
That would be the best dev blog ever!

Regardless, thanks CCP Masterplan for a peek behind the curtain.

MeBiatch wrote:
CCP Masterplan wrote:
Something for you graph people to analyse. Enjoy!

graphs are ok but all the cool devs use gifs now.

perhaps we can get gif graphs?Shocked

Be very careful what you ask for:
http://i.imgur.com/R8OmU6g.gif
Oh, wow, ... Evil

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Megumi Ohsawa
Ohsawa Inc
#42 - 2013-11-15 19:37:59 UTC
If I understand correctly, the freighters will double the time spent on warp under 50AU which is an important part of the warps they are doing in empire.
So the round trip of 35 jumps will not take 3 hours but 6 hours, in manual control, approximately.
Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#43 - 2013-11-15 19:38:49 UTC
Win

❤️️💛💚💙💜

Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#44 - 2013-11-15 19:41:22 UTC
Oh.

Oh, God.

Masterplan.

Well played. Well played, indeed.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Marcel Devereux
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#45 - 2013-11-15 19:43:40 UTC
Can we get the complete warp algorithm so we can create our own pretty graphs?
Onyx Nyx
The Veldspar Protectorate
#46 - 2013-11-15 20:42:40 UTC
Will be feeling like this, literally.

http://i.imgur.com/QLdCn.gif

I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more.

• Richard (http://www.lfgcomic.com/)
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#47 - 2013-11-15 20:55:37 UTC
So you make ships slower and then accidentally provide new implants to make them faster...

...but in the meantime, traveling in EVE will become even a worst chore than it was. If you're a hiseccer, that is, as the slower ships are used mostly in hisec.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Cass Lie
State War Academy
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-11-15 21:01:55 UTC
Well done.

Though the physics geek in me has to ask, is there any reason why the whole velocity curve couldn't be made a smooth function? The physics model of EVE used for movement on grid is based basically on rigid bodies accelerating with a constant force through a liquid ("submarines in space"). The same can be done for warp speeds, although on a different scale. Again, assuming a constant propelling force F and a counteracting drag force, this would lead to an equation for velocity in the form v = v_t * tanh [ t * F / (m * v_t) ], where v_t is the warp speed (or terminal velocity) and m is the mass of the ship. This curve is smooth everywhere and for time approaching infinity asymptotically approaches v_t (as tanh (x) ~ 1 for large x) and can thus be (as a good approximation) smoothly stiched with the curve v = v_t and the corresponding decceleration curve. It behaves just as a player would naively expect based on his experience of sub light speed on-grid movement (let's face it, the warp acceleration mechanisms were largely unintuitive before, although it's getting much better post Rubicon).

I realize this is actually ton of work with no measurable effect on the actual flight, but still, I would maybe warp with lesser fear knowing there are no infinities present in the points of stopping the acceleration/ beginning the decceleration ;)
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-11-15 21:37:10 UTC
this is probably the biggest change in the meta since the introduction of T2 ships

well done, consequences are going to be very interesting :)
Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2013-11-15 21:41:25 UTC
Has the insta-appear on grid thing for interceptors been fixed?
Milton Middleson
Rifterlings
#51 - 2013-11-15 22:17:35 UTC
Pretty awesome overall, though I think you guys overdid it on scaling back deceleration. I realize the concern about teleporting interdictor is valid, but you could have left frigate-sized hulls with better decel while scaling back larger stuff.

Quote:
Can we get the complete warp algorithm so we can create our own pretty graphs?

Also, this.
Octoven
Stellar Production
#52 - 2013-11-15 22:26:06 UTC
Nice changes, though if you were to ask someone who never played eve what they expect warp to be. I imagine the response would be, "Deceleration = to acceleration...not slower than." Could you imagine how much faster warp would be for all ships if the deceleration curve was the same rate as acceleration? lol
Benilopax
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-11-15 22:29:18 UTC
Could we possibly get the cool warp animation from here at some point in the future?

Moraguth
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#54 - 2013-11-15 22:45:03 UTC
CCP Masterplan wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

Now if CCP Masterplan and CCP Punkturis co-authored a dev blog for added elements:
* Usage of pink.
* Watermark.
* Hand-drawn art.

MeBiatch wrote:
CCP Masterplan wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, but this might be the best dev post ever in my 10ish years of playing eve.

I got a Feature Added!

Stop calling an Abaddon "abba-dawn".  It is "uh-bad-in" dictionary.com/abaddon

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#55 - 2013-11-15 23:18:50 UTC  |  Edited by: MeBiatch
CCP Masterplan wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

* Usage of pink.
* Watermark.
* Hand-drawn art.

MeBiatch wrote:
CCP Masterplan wrote:

Hehe touché

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Psihius
Perkone
Caldari State
#56 - 2013-11-15 23:55:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Psihius
Some tech talk atlast, althought this one is for kids :) Great changes and long awaited!

CCP Masterplan - where are your faimous blogs with tons of geek stuff, programming and all that? I have a need, a need for geek p**n! :)) I have to feed that geek inside me and he is hungry for a long time now :) How's brain in a box fairing?
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#57 - 2013-11-16 00:14:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
Octoven wrote:
Nice changes, though if you were to ask someone who never played eve what they expect warp to be. I imagine the response would be, "Deceleration = to acceleration...not slower than." Could you imagine how much faster warp would be for all ships if the deceleration curve was the same rate as acceleration? lol

It used to be faster on Sisi. Let me run you through what was happening:

Tick one, you see a dictor on d-scan.
Tick two, you are enveloped in a warp disruption bubble.
Tick three, dictor appears on your overview.

Yes, in this order.

The EVE physics engine enforces a hard cap on how fast ships can drop from warp before stupid things start happening.
Alekseyev Karrde
Noir.
Templis CALSF
#58 - 2013-11-16 01:26:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Alekseyev Karrde
xttz wrote:
The deceleration on sisi still feels pretty slow, and takes a good chunk of short warps. Can the cap be raised slightly, to 3 or 3.5?

agree the decel is a little slow. As above poster mentions there are good reasons it's not as fast as accel but it could do with a slight tweak up

Alek the Kidnapper, Hero of the CSM

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#59 - 2013-11-16 02:21:27 UTC
Red Frog Rufen wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Red Frog Rufen wrote:
When are we going to see some new freighter class? (a faster version, and a stronger version would be nice)

There are TII freighters already which are both faster and more durable.

which required 6b and a whole lot of other skill useless to high-sec traveling.

JF are not faster in warp than freighter, they only align faster.

They are faster. If my memory does not fail a freigther goes at 0.7 and a JF at 0.75 or so.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#60 - 2013-11-16 02:26:14 UTC
CCP Dolan wrote:
Gotta go fast! Check out all the details behind the warp speed changes coming in EVE Online: Rubicon on November 19th here.

So, if I have read correctly:

Today:

1) My fast and rigged ships warp so fast that I get a timer preventing me from jumping in the next system until said timer is over.

2) My freigthers are boring and slow like molasses.

After Rubicon:

1) My fast and rigged ships will warp faster so I'll have to wait longer at the next gate before the timer clears them to warp.

2) My freighters will become even more boring to fly.

Is this change basically only aimed at who uses interceptors in deep null sec, in those 200 AU long systems?