These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Missile Launchers - v2

First post First post First post
Author
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#1461 - 2013-11-14 17:54:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
Niena Nuamzzar[/quote wrote:
Unfortunately, you didn't. Look back and see for yourself. Best you can do is hit like 7 or 8 cruisers in total, dealing semi-decent damage, and only if they are MWD fitted. Against ab cruisers, mwd HAC's and frigates in general your damage application is rather pathetic.

There is a module called Warp Scrambler. It disable ennemy MWD. It's short range, but HAM are short range missiles I heard.

Also, AB is a tank module someone use to mitigate incoming damage. I think it's fair if you need another module to counter the counter to your weapon, like a web.

Kagura Nikon wrote:
A no. sorry if you think this is a worsrt case scenario you have NEVER pvped in this game.

A worst case scenario is a Fleet scimitar with halo set, under squimish links with a 100 MN AB.

THAT IS an extreme scenario. And yet, I see it every week!

So stop pretending the people that DO pvp are arguing with scenarios that are rare, because they are NOT.

Rare is a scenario where the enemy cruiser is NOT moving under prop mod !
The scram thing still apply, but I wasn't talking to you anyway as you are a pvp god able to blap a light drone with large artillery. I really wonder BTW why you still bother with missiles as their whole point is to have average performances in most cases, and you clearly don't deserve average if you can always have more with turrets.

And sorry to say it, but linked 100MN AB ship are not most cases. That might be the most cases YOU face, but EVE doesn't revolve around you, as godlike as you can be. As I said, for simple mortals there is also web and TP which can help you apply more damage, be it with turrets or missiles. Yes, because for the poor soul we are, turrets don't do 100% dps all the time, because we are so bad we can't always shoot in optimale with zero transversale as the ennemy inferior enough to us, if he is even inferior that is.

To finish, I'd say that missile damage being mitigated by speed and signature is a feature. That mean ONLY speed and sig affect missile damage, and that something you need to account for when you pick this weapon. If you expect to fight 100MN AB overlinked, drugged and implanted blingy, then choose another weapon, because he have exactly the counter to missiles. I thought that was obvious, my bad. Though now I understand the love for light missiles.

Oh, and 100MN AB, skirmish link and sig in general do affect turrets too. People just don't see it because of the mostly random nature of turrets (we call it statistics ; usually, people are more affected by bad experiences, but with turrets it seem to be the opposite).
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1462 - 2013-11-14 18:00:09 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Niena Nuamzzar wrote:
Unfortunately, you didn't. Look back and see for yourself. Best you can do is hit like 7 or 8 cruisers in total, dealing semi-decent damage, and only if they are MWD fitted. Against ab cruisers, mwd HAC's and frigates in general your damage application is rather pathetic.

There is a module called Warp Scrambler. It disable ennemy MWD. It's short range, but HAM are short range missiles I heard.

Also, AB is a tank module someone use to mitigate incoming damage. I think it's fair if you need another module to counter the counter to your weapon, like a web.

Kagura Nikon wrote:
A no. sorry if you think this is a worsrt case scenario you have NEVER pvped in this game.

A worst case scenario is a Fleet scimitar with halo set, under squimish links with a 100 MN AB.

So stop pretending the people that DO pvp are arguing with scenarios that are rare, because they are NOT.

The scram thing still apply, but I wasn't talking to you anyway as you are a pvp god able to blap a light drone with large artillery. I really wonder BTW why you still bother with missiles as their whole point is to have average performances in most cases, and you clearly don't deserve average if you can always have more with turrets.

And sorry to say it, but linked 100MN AB ship are not most cases. That might be the most cases YOU face, but EVE doesn't revolve around you, as godlike as you can be. As I said, for simple mortals there is also web and TP which can help you apply more damage, be it with turrets or missiles. Yes, because for the poor soul we are, turrets don't do 100% dps all the time, because we are so bad we can't always shoot in optimale with zero transversale as the ennemy inferior enough to us, if he is even inferior that is.

To finish, I'd say that missile damage being mitigated by speed and signature is a feature. That mean ONLY speed and sig affect missile damage, and that something you need to account for when you pick this weapon. If you expect to fight 100MN AB overlinked, drugged and implanted blingy, then choose another weapon, because he have exactly the counter to missiles. I thought that was obvious, my bad. Though now I understand the love for light missiles.

Oh, and 100MN AB, skirmish link and sig in general do affect turrets too. People just don't see it because of the mostly random nature of turrets (we call it statistics ; usually, people are more affected by bad experiences, but with turrets it seem to be the opposite).

I am holding myself to not call names on you. I NEVER SAID THESE ARE COMMON CASES. I said THE SCYTHE WITH !))MN AB AND LINKS IS A EXTREME CASE!!. Because you said a simple prop mod was a extreme case!!

Yuu really try to be unable to comprehend anything anyone post ?

For the others sorry for the CAPS LOCK, but this guy clearly has some reading issues.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#1463 - 2013-11-14 18:09:36 UTC
Liquid'Courage wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot.

Swapping ammo to use a type that does better damage based on your targets sig radius or speed "can" be advantageous in the long run... it depends on how tough your target is.

Swapping ammo to hit what you hope is a more favorable resist value depends greatly on how they are fit, and often (if they have made any attempt what so ever to plug their resist holes) you end up doing such a small amount more damage before the fight is over you often are better off simply sticking with what you had (and not losing that extra volley or so due to reload time).

In the case of this new system, warping out to reposition will be by far the better tactic, as you'll be just about reloaded with better ammo by the time you get back to the fight.

Edit: Frankly, it's as Tao said, you're always better off making those kind of ammo swaps before the battle begins. That's why the Icelandic gods created Dscan and scouts. Smile

It's like you've never been in a fight where there are more enemies than friendlies on grid.....

I don't like pvp in this game. I like pvppp or pppvppppppppppppp..... There's not really a lot of ships that can pull that off, and the ships that can pull it off require good decision making and good piloting skill, otherwise you will die in a fire.

Through these changes to rapid lights, CCP is taking 4 of those few ships out of the game. RIP Caracal, Nosprey, Scythe fleet, and Cerberus. :(

Don't get me wrong, in a way, I like the idea of the changes. They definitely have some uses and look like they'll be very useful in some niche roles. But they're taking a good thing out of the game to make this change.

If this goes through, can I get a bunch of level 5 support skills in missiles taken back and put into equivalent gunnery skills? And switch Caldari cruiser 5 to Amarr cruiser 5? I spent a few months training these skills to fly Caracals, only to have the skills become unnecessary and the ship I was training for taken from me in such a terrible way.....

Actually, these changes would make those 4 ships nearly ideal for the hit and run tactics necessary for a smaller gang to deal with a larger, less mobile force. It's all in knowing how.

Squeezing twice the damage into a smaller window of time, fewer ships needed, reload timer occurring when you will be either kiting or warping to reposition anyway, lure out another victim, rinse and repeat... think about it. You'll have to figure this one out on your own, because the people that know exactly how to leverage this won't be saying anything for a while yet... not til the results start showing up on their kill board. Smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1464 - 2013-11-14 18:14:36 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

As I said, for simple mortals there is also web and TP which can help you apply more damage, be it with turrets or missiles.

Yes, of course, shield tanked missile cruiser can afford to fit scram, web and TP in mids - everyone knows that. Excellent thinking!
Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1465 - 2013-11-14 18:23:59 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

Squeezing twice the damage into a smaller window of time, fewer ships needed, reload timer occurring when you will be either kiting or warping to reposition anyway, lure out another victim, rinse and repeat... think about it.

Perhaps... if you increase launcher capacity to 25 and reduce reload time to 30, missile swap to 5, idk... maybe, just maybe... someone could even use it now and then.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#1466 - 2013-11-14 18:29:16 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Connall Tara wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:
We were not attakcign your poitn. Jsut the data you were usign to defend it, because other people use that same data to make stupid claims ( as some others made same mistake of usign the dps and believing in 50 secodns time to make other assertions)

certainly, and it was valid to do so. I've got no issues with people being on the other side of an arguement as long as they do their fact checking and i'm rather happy that people called me out so i could correct my facts ^^

all told, if anything, the correction lends itself more towards the idea of enlarging the RLML's clip size in the burst varient by a missile or two, raised up to perhaps 20 missiles as opposed to 18 which would solve a lot of the dps complaints and infact shift the "firing time" back towards the 50 second mark.

the mechanic is awesome, its all about the fine tuning.

That is exactly what I have been defending sicne start. The long time is not as problematic as the size of the clip. If the clip was enlarged by 2 units you get much broader spectrum of engagement. THe long reloas is an aspect of gameplay, the short number of charges is a hard restriction, not a gameplay aspect by itself..

And before nayone spits crap, yes I ran the numbers on several common fits for EHP and it allows you to kill a few more T2 frigates and ensures you have damage to kill 2 T1 frigates even if well fit. With 18 charges the number of scenarios htat you do not kill a target increases a lot on my listing (and I have made 21 scenarios here at my spreadsheets)

As far as adjustments go, that would be my choice as well.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Jinshu
Horde Armada
Pandemic Horde
#1467 - 2013-11-14 18:41:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Jinshu
I don't want to contribute about the pros and cons of burst against reload.
However, at least the current singularity implementation for RLML shows another significant nerf:

Powergrid usage increased from 47.7 to 69.3 per launcher with my skills, that is an increase by 45%.

Please check and reconfirm, still can't really believe it.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#1468 - 2013-11-14 18:46:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Jinshu wrote:
I don't want to contribute about the pros and cons of burst against reload.
However, at least the current singularity implementation for RLML shows another signifigant nerf:

Powergrid usage increased from 47.7 to 69.3 per launcher with my skills, that is an increase by 45%.

I can live with that IF some of the other stats get nudged in the direction others have mentioned (slightly larger clip, 30 second reload, fast swap ammo type).

Previously one of the mitigating factors was the amount of tank and other mods the RLML would still allow (which would facilitate a hit and run play style for small gangs). If that advantage is removed that's cutting things awfully thin.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#1469 - 2013-11-14 18:51:23 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Major Killz wrote:
Whole thread has been exaggerated this and that to support singular minded arguments. Especially when comparing HAMS AND HMLS TO A MISSILE THAT IS SUPPOSE TO HIT SMALLER TARGETS. HAMS AND HMLS SHOULD BE COMPARED TO MEDIUM TURRETS AND OR OTHER MEDIUM MISSILE PLATFORMS THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO BE USED AGAINST MEDIUM TARGETS. When compared to other medium weapon systems HAMS AND HML are balanced. Still I agree a 40 second reload is TOO long.

Anyway.

Players will definitely use Rapid Light Missile Launchers and like I stated before; missile ships with sizable drone bays and bandwidth have an advantage over those without: Bellicose instead of Caracal, and Scythe Fleet Issue instead of Caracal Navy Issue (rather have drone damage instead of no damage). I'm still not a fan of 40 second reload times and I think 30 seconds could be done while still keeping the proposed rate of fire intact.

As for Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher? Garbage to be honest. I don't know. Might be worth putting on a rattlesnake or something. I mean it MAY work for EXTREME DAMAGE and then docking games but I'm not sure.

As far as I'm aware. Pilots and fleet commanders I know who were interested in Rapid Heavy Missile previously are all writing it off completely.

Why release a new module that YOU KNOW players won't use? Why allow said module to effect one that is used so much?

Anywho.

The Rapid Light Missile Launcher is a medium size weapon system that uses small size ammunition. There is no turret equivalent. Comparing another medium size weapon system with medium ammunition to another that uses small size ammunition comes off a bit false to me. Not to mention the Rapid Light Missile Launcher compensates for light missiles ONLY draw back when used with a light missile launcher. That's absolute damage per second.

No doubt, light missiles signature resolution could be increased by 50 - 100 % (45 - 60 signature resolution); increase it's explosion velocity by 20 - 40% and lower flight time significantly (something like 6,000m). Apart from that there was no need to do the proposed change... Whatever this change is. With that said. The proposed changes to Rapid Light Missile Launchers does work and some of it's lame qualities can be mitigated.

Side note about turrets, Rise mentioned that a similar treatment might be done to the smaller medium and large turrets as well... the one's nobody ever uses.

I believe he means (for example) the smallest medium turret might end up using small ammo and have small turret stats... but with a vastly improved ROF for a short duration (and long reload).

This interests me a great deal.

Edit: Yeah, I'd also kind of like to see how things play out with the reload being a flat 30 seconds.

That would be even far more horrible FAR MORE HORRIBLE.

The smaller turrets are used when you cannot fit the larger ones.

The main reason why larger turrets are better is their RANGE. Standard missile have long enough range to be useful on cruisers an d heavy missiles to be useful on battleships. A Small blasters doe snto have range enough to be used in a mega.. even if it had 2 times the neutron DPS!

Blasters would be the most difficult to deal with if this came to be, although a Mega would be using medium sized weaponry. That being said, most Mega's get right on top of their opponent anyway... although the targets they would be going for would tend to be cruiser size, which complicates things yet again.

Kujun Nashja
Godless Horizon.
OnlyFleets.
#1470 - 2013-11-14 19:07:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Kujun Nashja
I guess everything that can be said has been said already so i will just leave it at that. Just a few things:

1) The Dev team is on the brink of getting out of touch with their own game and its playerbase again. Don´t ruin what you accomplished after the Incarna debacle.

2) Of all people i expected CCP Rise to actually hold on to sanity and being able to approach things in a non ´Fozzyesque` way. Remember the times when you actually flew a pixel spaceship? A thing that Fozzy clearly has not done in a long time? Yeah, maybe it´s a good idea to hop into one from time to time and actually play the damn game. Metrics rarely hold up against reality. Your argumentation in this thread as to why this change is the right thing to do were not coherent at all.

"Switching ammo types (other damage types or to FOF(does anyone actually use fof?)...."
- CCP Rise (formerly known as Kil2), 2013

Are you serious? Did you really just say that?
Yes, RLMs could use a small adjustment. No, this is not the way to do it.

3) What the hell did we learn about rushing features out, heh? Coming up with a massive change like this just a few days before the actual patch day without any proper way of getting it balanced out on SiSi is considered a good idea these days? If you can not integrate a feature (aka. RHMLs) to your full satisfaction then don´t do it! Push them back, take your time to balance them out. I guess most of your customers will survive waiting for them for another few weeks.

Common guys, get your **** together.
Cown
Heretical Cows
#1471 - 2013-11-14 19:24:33 UTC
Kujun Nashja wrote:
I guess everything that can be said has been said already so i will just leave it at that. Just a few things:

1) The Dev team is on the brink of getting out of touch with their own game and its playerbase again. Don´t ruin what you accomplished after the Incarna debacle.

2) Of all people i expected CCP Rise to actually hold on to sanity and being able to approach things in a non ´Fozzyesque` way. Remember the times when you actually flew a pixel spaceship? A thing that Fozzy clearly has not done in a long time? Yeah, maybe it´s a good idea to hop into one from time to time and actually play the damn game. Metrics rarely hold up against reality. Your argumentation in this thread as to why this change is the right thing to do were not coherent at all.

"Switching ammo types (other damage types or to FOF(does anyone actually use fof?)"
- CCP Rise (formerly known as Kil2), 2013

Are you serious? Did you really just say that?
Yes, RLMs could use a small adjustment. No, this is not the way to do it.

3) What the hell did we learn about rushing features out, heh? Coming up with a massive change like this just a few days before the actual patch day without any proper way of getting it balanced out on SiSi is considered a good idea these days? If you can not integrate a feature (aka. RHMLs) to your full satisfaction then don´t do it! Push them back, take your time to balance them out. I guess most of your customers will survive waiting for them for another few weeks.

Common guys, get your **** together.

+1
Viribus
Lords of the Lockerroom
WE FORM YUG0SLAVIA
#1472 - 2013-11-14 19:49:23 UTC
Don't you think frig hulls already dominate the small gang scene enough? The warp speed changes are gonna make them even more ubiquitous, now missile ships are pretty ****** if they have to do more than one reload of damage to the unkillable tank-and-MWD bonused AFs that are everywhere now
scorchlikeshiswhiskey
Totally Abstract
O X I D E
#1473 - 2013-11-14 19:51:50 UTC  |  Edited by: scorchlikeshiswhiskey
So what I'm seeing here is a very subtle shove for all missile pilots to use a "real" weapon system (i.e. anything except missiles) while CCP continues to blow smoke up our asses that missiles are a perfectly viable weapon system for all sorts of uses and not the highly situational and almost always second rate weapon system that they effectively are.

EDIT: And also, that despite the majority of people that don't want this change, CCP is going to go ahead and ram it down our throats anyways and MAYBE fix it later. What kind of dumb ass decides to institute a major change like this, knowing that it's busted and people don't want it, in favor of being able to come back and fix it later? Why would you not decide to wait a bit, come up with a GOOD original change, and push that out later?
Kara Trix
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1474 - 2013-11-14 20:07:57 UTC
Almost 1500 comments (many from me) about this change

I like reading the forums (not sure why, maybe i like drama), but most of the time the troll has some idea of what they are talking about and bash me or someone like me to a proper place.... but this thread is much different.

Most people REALLY don't like this change and are puzzled why?

The only ones who have made a voice that approve of it, don't even use the weapon at all now (look up their kill boards) and most likely just don't like facing them on the field.

Enough Said... I'm done with this topic.... I relent.

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#1475 - 2013-11-14 20:09:01 UTC
Citing again, because I might have not explain myself clearly ; bold is mine :
Kagura Nikon wrote:

So, to sum up, you are saying that a "Fleet scimitar with halo set, under squimish links with a 100 MN AB" is "extreme", worst case" and "comon" scenario.

And this to deny what I am stating, which is that HAM hit cruisers fine. I don't need to quote again I guess.

So, not only I never said that a worst case had to be rare, but you also agreed that this case was extreme.

So what should I conclude ? That we should base the balance of HAM on these kind of worst case scenario ? Because that's why I understand when someone say that HAM are bad because of crap damage application and showing this as an example.

Whereas I showed that the vast majority of normal cruisers will take more than 90% of HAM dps while MWDing. Overload won't last forever. MWD overload is even very short most of the time, so capitalizing on it is, IMO, unreliable and definitely not a normal case. A HAC will also reduce missiles damage because of its MWD bonus, but that's not a normal case, because that's a special feature for this class of ship.

I am aware that there is a lot of counters to missile damage, like AB, links and all speed mods, but everything should have a counter. That is normal scenario, but they hurt missiles by design. If they would not counter missiles, missiles would be OP.

Take the worst case for turrets for exemple : as soon as a crucifier, a cheap T1 frigate, land on grid, you are screwed and won't do anything to the ennemy. Yet I see tracking disruptors almost each time I play. But as common as that can be, they are normal counters to turrets. Asking to buff turrets because of TD would be stupid. Stating that turrets are crap because of TD would be equally stupid.

In the same way, stating that missiles are crap and need to be buffed because of AB and skirmish links is stupid.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#1476 - 2013-11-14 20:13:43 UTC
Kara Trix wrote:
Almost 1500 comments (many from me) about this change

I like reading the forums (not sure why, maybe i like drama), but most of the time the troll has some idea of what they are talking about and bash me or someone like me to a proper place.... but this thread is much different.

Most people REALLY don't like this change and are puzzled why?

The only ones who have made a voice that approve of it, don't even use the weapon at all now (look up their kill boards) and most likely just don't like facing them on the field.

Enough Said... I'm done with this topic.... I relent.
If I was affraid of anything, I would be opposed to these changes, as these burst RLML will murder frigates a lot more violently than before.

Those who don't like the changes either don't know what they are talking about or already use RLML for other less specialized role than anti-frigate platform.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#1477 - 2013-11-14 20:30:24 UTC
I recently started using RLML on my scyFI. Havent gotten any kills yet but had a couple fights that I had to disengage from. Damned ec300s. Anyway this is not the end of missiles, hams are close range, so I would fit at least a scram and web if fitting allows. HML are longrange, without web you need tp and rigor/flare rigs. I have a scyFI fit that applies dps the same as rlml but with HML. IF YOU WANT GOOD APPLIED DPS YOU MUST BE WILLING TO SACRIFICE EHP OR PAPER DPS. Same with turrets. You want tracking with large guns? Gonna need TE or TC or use metastasis rigs. Same principle on hams and hml. Missiles are hampered more because there are not modules that give applied dmg bonus' like TE or TC do. Missiles only have rigs. Wheres our ballistic targeting computer? That would make Hml more feasible for most. In terms of rlml I still think a rig that adds charges is best. Want to kill only frigs? Fill rigs with tank/dmg. Thinking you may run into larger targets? Add some rigs that give plus 2 charges each. Use additional cpu or pg as rig drawback. Simple. Its up to how YOU want to fit it.
Viceorvirtue
The Hatchery
SL0W CHILDREN AT PLAY
#1478 - 2013-11-14 20:30:33 UTC
If you could switch the ammo in the launchers instantly without reloading them then yes, this does become a good weapon system that has it's own benefits and drawbacks. However it has been rather clearly stated that this will not happen in the initial release of the weapon system and this, while not being a dealbreaker for making the changes, is a dealbreaker for using the new system for many people.

Being unable to load, say, percisions when an interceptor comes on field without waiting 40 seconds is not fun. Mostly because in those 40 seconds the interceptor could easily run me down and I would be unable to force it away since split weapons using cn will not quite have the ability to worry an inty. If i could instantly switch to percisions then yes, I would have to keep my guns split but I would be able to react to a changing field. Hand waving this issue away and saying you can warp out and back every minute to reload just does not sit well with many people, because it seems like you are ignoring a potential issue that should be addressed before release.

The idea of the system itself, as many others have said is good. The biggest issue is the reload time without being able to switch missile types to adapt without being useless for 40 seconds. If you can fix this problem before throwing it on tq then I don't think many people will be upset. However implementing something like this and saying 'don't worry well fix it later' results in a large amount of backlash and negativity.

Swapping ammo types is important, removing the ability to do so just to implement it later is, atleast in my opinion, a very half assed way of doing things and terrible design.
Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1479 - 2013-11-14 20:32:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Niena Nuamzzar
Jinshu wrote:
However, at least the current singularity implementation for RLML shows another significant nerf:

Can anyone confirm it please? It's that's true, it will be an epic fail because you can nerf one or the other, never both. At least not for this one.
X'ret
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1480 - 2013-11-14 20:51:23 UTC
Niena Nuamzzar wrote:
Jinshu wrote:

Can anyone confirm it please? It's that's true, it will be an epic fail because you can nerf one or the other, never both. At least not for this one.

Its 69.3 with perfect skillz. I told this 2-3 days ago in this thread already, 1k comments earlier or so..