These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Genuine question : are the protection rackets legit ?

First post
Author
pure Alar
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#61 - 2013-11-11 17:45:34 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wWA43-aKs how he lost his pod . we gave u enough warnings :)

the tears expressed here are Shocked
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2013-11-11 17:51:29 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
As it stands you'll never know. If you had paid them and they had in fact protected you from outside interference then I would say yes, it is completely legit. If you had and then they had not bothered to protect you then they were just strong arming you for iskies. Fuzziness here... did they contact you before the wardec and offer you their services for this fee, or did they open with the war? Lots of unknowns here, and as such it's hard to tell if they were on the level. Either way... protection racket, or strongarm extortion, both are acceptable playstyles in the dirty back alley universe of EVE.

Not a single word from them, they just opened the war, when I contacted them I heard some excuse that WE had killed a Noctis and a pod from them, when in fact that was the other way around, *I* was ganked ...

Well, I got the answer to my question, I've closed the corp I made 8 years ago, lost a POS and a pod with a full head of implants, and my bitter-meter was raised a notch ...

Lesson learned for the small time casual players : be silent and invisible.

8 years? I've heard of failing at Eve, but usually that is just a myth because its almost impossible to fail at something with no goals. But I think you may have just done it. 8 years and you are unable to defend your corp or corpmates from a wardec? Wow.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2013-11-11 18:19:47 UTC
Temporary Amnesia wrote:
protection pay for month? haha

Don't pay and regroup

Be polite in convos with them so you dont give reason to further ganking

Is best that they think you nublet and polite than nublet and rude/douchebag

Is all

Please like my posts (will one day put this in sig)
Convo's? Ha! Don't convo them at all, no smack, no reaction on mails and block them. Make it a corp rule and switch to an alt corp.
Ophidia Black
Carebear Euthanization LtD
#64 - 2013-11-11 18:21:32 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:

I might even make a forum posting alt instead of posting with my main.

Feel free, your main's name has already been fed to the locator agents... Pirate

Official Reimbursement Officer for the New Order. Contact me for reimbursement in game if your barge was unfairly destroyed.

Kery Nysell
#65 - 2013-11-11 18:38:09 UTC
pure Alar wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wWA43-aKs how he lost his pod . we gave u enough warnings :)

Oh yeah, that was me alright, totally AFK ordering pizza on the phone, not a single peep from you in Local or convo (yes, I keep logs), getting ganked while offlining my POS *BEFORE* the war took place.

And I don't even have tears in my eyes, I've long since accepted that my playstyle will lead to ISK loss on a massive scale.

Keep stroking your epeen mate !

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#66 - 2013-11-11 18:40:50 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
My corp has been wardecced by an Alliance in hi sec because we were mining ... they want us to pay them to be allowed to play.

Well, since we're casual players, the price asked was more than we could earn per week, so we killed the corp and went back to NPC corps.

My question is this : is this kind of "griefing" legit ?

I know that EvE is a harsh place, but I thought that paying my subscription allowed me to play the game ...

Yes, they absolutely are.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Galen Darksmith
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#67 - 2013-11-11 19:38:17 UTC
I seriously cannot understand anyone that is upset by the fact that EVE has its own "Space Mafia." Seriously, how cool is that ****?

"EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in, you're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for." -CCP Wrangler

Jythier Smith
BGG Wolves
#68 - 2013-11-11 19:52:40 UTC
Galen Darksmith wrote:
I seriously cannot understand anyone that is upset by the fact that EVE has its own "Space Mafia." Seriously, how cool is that ****?

Yeah, that is emergent gameplay, not even part of the rules of the game. I like that.
Anomaly One
Doomheim
#69 - 2013-11-11 19:56:52 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
The fact that you made it through eight years without having your false views of the game practically challenged like this means there is something really wrong with Eve.

This is now a nerf hisec thread.

this statement should not be ignored!

holy ****, 8 years and a single wardec collapses your corp...

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#70 - 2013-11-11 20:02:01 UTC
Also 40 people in their alliance or corp doesn't mean 40 people will attack you... you know only the ones that are online?
and throughout those 8 years of not pvp you didn't amass enough isk to hire someone to fight them at least, you know like Cannibal Kane or any merc corp?

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

pure Alar
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#71 - 2013-11-11 20:04:47 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
pure Alar wrote:

Oh yeah, that was me alright, totally AFK ordering pizza on the phone, not a single peep from you in Local or convo (yes, I keep logs), getting ganked while offlining my POS *BEFORE* the war took place.

And I don't even have tears in my eyes, I've long since accepted that my playstyle will lead to ISK loss on a massive scale.

Keep stroking your epeen mate !

what kind of pizza was it?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#72 - 2013-11-11 20:07:13 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
My corp has been wardecced by an Alliance in hi sec because we were mining ... they want us to pay them to be allowed to play.

Well, since we're casual players, the price asked was more than we could earn per week, so we killed the corp and went back to NPC corps.

I know that EvE is a harsh place, but I thought that paying my subscription allowed me to play the game ...

It does, you played it poorly.
Kery Nysell
#73 - 2013-11-11 20:10:08 UTC
pure Alar wrote:
what kind of pizza was it?

Hawaian with spicy oil and garlic butter. Yummy.

As strange as it seems, I value my pizza-time on the saturdays more than my eve time.

pure Alar
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#74 - 2013-11-11 20:13:01 UTC
you could of paid us in pizza?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#75 - 2013-11-11 20:13:13 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Kery Nysell wrote:

Yes, they absolutely are.

…and your subscription does allow you to play the game. The only three parties that can keep that from happening is CCP, your ISP, and you.

Oh, and it's not griefing, by the way. It's the game you've paid to play.
Brusanan
Free State Project
#76 - 2013-11-11 20:23:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Brusanan
Kery Nysell wrote:
I'll go with the reeaaaally wierd option ... I have lots of skills, yes, but absolutely NO experince in PvP, and no interest in it either ... direct player vs player combat bores me to tears. My actual definition of fun is logging on for a couple of hours and either do a couple of missions or mine a bit. I find that relaxing, and I have a stressfull enough Real Life to really need it. The added stress of PvP does nothing good for my ulcers and blood pressure.

Also, 1 vs 40 is a sure way to get myself spanked, even if I had the inclination to fight ...

Now, if someone wants to teach me the ropes of PvP, I'm willing to learn.

If you want to stare at asteroids all day couldn't you just screencap an asteroid field and set it as your desktop background? That way you wouldn't have those nasty other players in an MMO to ruin the singleplayer experience you seem to be after.
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2013-11-11 20:36:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarod Garamonde
Playing an MMO by yourself is like going to an orgy to self-pleasure.
It's just......... it's just plain wrong.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Jason Quixos
Mass of Wrecks
#78 - 2013-11-11 20:38:06 UTC
I spoke with you for some time before any activity took place. I made you aware of the mechanics and how the system would have worked, and with the added ability of allies in wars now, we would have protected you from any future war decs and taught any of your guys who had the nuts, to pvp, starting in frigs.

Shame that you did what you did, unanchoring the pos, we would have stole it. Killing a 767 mil isk pod was funnier.

Space Cadet Online - A wee blog about my exploits Mass Of Wrecks - Public NPSI Events Fleet - launching 28th August

Milla Sirius
Cruel Chicks
Black Rise Collective
#79 - 2013-11-11 21:49:35 UTC
Oh sorry man, I just missclicked on your ship while i was eating my pizza.... nothing against you !
But... it was fun Big smile
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2013-11-11 21:55:53 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:

They can war dec you for simply not liking your name.

You have options

1) not undock .. horrible option

2) pay for defense (some war grousp only charge the war declaration cost, sometimes as low as 50 Mil isk)

3) Grab some t1 frigates and fight and have fun. Jsut remember to not brign super expensive stuff and that they can shoot at your pods as well!

THe third option is the one that will nmake you have more fun. Evne if you think you do not like PVP. IF you try it with non expensive ships even loosign you can have fun.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"