These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

2,000-pound GOCE satellite to reenter earth's atmosphere....get your umbrellas out.

Author
Matokin Lemant
#1 - 2013-11-10 18:21:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Matokin Lemant
Looks like another large satellite is set to "crash" back to earth. The only thing that I found weard is tgatt with all the tracking sations and software we still can't predict where these things will reenter the atmosphere.

Full Article Link

Guess I am wearing a helmet all day tomorrow. But hay on the bright side I may get enough scrap to builf my self a Rifter P
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#2 - 2013-11-10 18:23:36 UTC
"We know. Sit down" - LBJ in "The Right Stuff" Big smile

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#3 - 2013-11-10 18:40:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Mudkest
Quote:
An ocean somewhere is the best bet

that's easy to say, no idear where its going to land, but probably in the water(that covers about 70% of the surface of the planet)

if it lands on something I own, do i get reimbursed by esa?
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#4 - 2013-11-10 18:58:29 UTC
Pee-wee Herman ‏@peeweeherman 3m

SPACE DEBRIS OFFICE: GOCE satellite expected to PLUNGE TO EARTH between 1:30pm EST and 7:00 TODAY

DON'T GET CRUSHED!

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Orionos Irvam
Enso Holdings Inc.
#5 - 2013-11-10 19:03:28 UTC
I hope it lands in my garden. Salvage drones at the ready!
Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#6 - 2013-11-10 19:03:41 UTC
Hey. I've always wanted a piece of space junk. I hope it falls in my back yard. Lol
Matokin Lemant
#7 - 2013-11-10 20:30:40 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Hey. I've always wanted a piece of space junk. I hope it falls in my back yard. Lol

In reality isn't illegal tho?...

I know when the UARS satellite reentered back in 2011 it was illegal for anyone to keep any part of that because "Because this is a U.S. government satellite, any object that does reach the surface of the Earth, should it be found, is still the property of the United States" So I was just wondering what the EU's stance is on that.

http://www.space.com/13064-falling-satellite-debris-uars-nasa-property.html
Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#8 - 2013-11-10 20:33:12 UTC
Matokin Lemant wrote:
Commissar Kate wrote:

I know when the UARS satellite reentered back in 2011 it was illegal for anyone to keep any part of that because "Because this is a U.S. government satellite, any object that does reach the surface of the Earth, should it be found, is still the property of the United States" So I was just wondering what the EU's stance is on that.

Yea it certainly is still the property of whoever owns it. I was just being a smartass.
Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-11-11 08:49:12 UTC
Wouldnt rights of salvage come into effect though?

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Rana Ash
Gradient
Electus Matari
#10 - 2013-11-11 12:02:40 UTC
Well whom ever finds it can be quite happy of the photo op, but as is. They have no idea what so ever where it landed, and if it landed in your backyard or house.
Causing destruction or damage to property, they will have to pay you..
Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#11 - 2013-11-11 12:17:45 UTC
Orionos Irvam wrote:

didn't you read the andromeda crisis?
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#12 - 2013-11-11 12:26:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Matokin Lemant wrote:
The only thing that I found weird is that with all the tracking stations and software we still can't predict where these things will reenter the atmosphere.

To use an overused (and usually inappropriately overused) term, chaos theory.
Very slow atmospheric reentry is a "chaotic" process, meaning an extremely complex process with a lot of factors that influence it, where even the slightest change in conditions could potentially cause a drastically different result.

It could take many rotations around the Earth through a very low density atmosphere for the orbit to really start decaying, but once it really starts decaying, it goes very fast.
The problem is, the point where that happens depends even on the most minute changes in high altitude atmospheric density (making the atmospheric micro-breaking fluctuate wildly), so predicting when (and therefore where) it would happen is as good as impossible until shortly before it really starts happening.
And when it really starts happening, it's going to be over very soon.

P.S. Most of the time, we do at least have a rough idea of a narrow band along the orbit where it could come down. We just don't know where along that very long narrow band it will be.

P.P.S. That's why we usually do "controlled re-entries", where we instruct the satellite attitude control drive to start a re-entry burn with all remaining fuel. This almost always results in a fairly predictable crash location. This satellite was one of the few relatively modern ones that were left to their own devices, having used up all its fuel to stay in orbit as long as possible.
It was launched in 2009 in a very low orbit, which was necessary for the type of research it was doing, so it regularly used up quite a bit of fuel to maintain orbit. In order to do a proper controlled re-entry, its mission length would have needed to be considerably shortened on top of its already short lifespan.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#13 - 2013-11-11 12:52:22 UTC
Mudkest wrote:
Orionos Irvam wrote:

Strain Lol

Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#14 - 2013-11-11 14:13:34 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mudkest wrote:
Orionos Irvam wrote:

Strain Lol

>.< yeah that one. Crisis was teh movie wasnt it? or just wrongly rememberd name in my brain
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#15 - 2013-11-11 14:17:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Mudkest wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mudkest wrote:
Orionos Irvam wrote:

Strain Lol

>.< yeah that one. Crisis was teh movie wasnt it? or just wrongly rememberd name in my brain

"Andromeda Strain" was Michael Crichton's first best-seller, which became a Robert Wise film of the same name.

ed: What's funny about Robert Wise is that he is so very much associated with "The Sound of Music", when he actually more importantly gave us "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Andromeda Strain", "Run Silent, Run Deep", "West Side Story", "The Haunting", and the first "Star Trek: The Motion Picture".

Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#16 - 2013-11-11 14:20:26 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

"Andromeda Strain" was Michael Crichton's first best-seller, which became a Robert Wise film of the same name.

so wrongly remember then :)

also obligatory book was better then movie comment
Matokin Lemant
#17 - 2013-11-11 18:04:19 UTC
Akita T wrote:
Matokin Lemant wrote:
The only thing that I found weird is that with all the tracking stations and software we still can't predict where these things will reenter the atmosphere.

To use an overused (and usually inappropriately overused) term, chaos theory.
Very slow atmospheric reentry is a "chaotic" process, meaning an extremely complex process with a lot of factors that influence it, where even the slightest change in conditions could potentially cause a drastically different result.

It could take many rotations around the Earth through a very low density atmosphere for the orbit to really start decaying, but once it really starts decaying, it goes very fast.
The problem is, the point where that happens depends even on the most minute changes in high altitude atmospheric density (making the atmospheric micro-breaking fluctuate wildly), so predicting when (and therefore where) it would happen is as good as impossible until shortly before it really starts happening.
And when it really starts happening, it's going to be over very soon.

P.S. Most of the time, we do at least have a rough idea of a narrow band along the orbit where it could come down. We just don't know where along that very long narrow band it will be.

P.P.S. That's why we usually do "controlled re-entries", where we instruct the satellite attitude control drive to start a re-entry burn with all remaining fuel. This almost always results in a fairly predictable crash location. This satellite was one of the few relatively modern ones that were left to their own devices, having used up all its fuel to stay in orbit as long as possible.
It was launched in 2009 in a very low orbit, which was necessary for the type of research it was doing, so it regularly used up quite a bit of fuel to maintain orbit. In order to do a proper controlled re-entry, its mission length would have needed to be considerably shortened on top of its already short lifespan.

AHH my brain it hurts P
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#18 - 2013-11-11 19:53:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Matokin Lemant wrote:
Commissar Kate wrote:

That may be the one my friends was on high alert about. He works for FEMA (the U.S.'s Federal disaster management agency). All of the official announcements were "Don' worry, it will very likely fall in the ocean." But FEMA was on 24-hour standby alert, because they really didn't know where it would land.
Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#19 - 2013-11-11 23:48:32 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
He works for FEMA (the U.S.'s Federal disaster management agency). All of the official announcements were "Don' worry, it will very likely fall in the ocean." But FEMA was on 24-hour standby alert, because they really didn't know where it would land.

maybe played a bit too much Deus Ex, but I can only see FEMA as puppets of bad guys
Rana Ash
Gradient
Electus Matari
#20 - 2013-11-12 12:12:02 UTC
If you are near the falkland islands and have a good salvage sub and or is a great diver, you can start searching the waters around there. Thats where it crashed, so happy hunting and have fun..
12Next page