These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Missile Launchers - v2

First post First post First post
Author
Justin Cody
War Firm
#361 - 2013-11-09 01:37:37 UTC
Colman Dietmar wrote:
From what I've seen, rapid caracal is already pretty much impossible to deal with using T1 frigs AND can be a threat to cruiser-sized kiting ships. Why buff it more? If anything, I would like to see a nerf to rapid launchers, not a buff to their gankiness.

And yes, I did not miss the reload time, it's just that in 50 seconds you can kill some cruisers with that 400dps, not to speak of smaller targets. If the launcher did not have enough active time to kill a cruiser, then it would be better, although it would still make caracal pretty much immune to frigs.

This is a bad idea for all of the reasons you haven't mentioned. wagh my tristan can't tackle a cerb! jeeze look the reason this is bad is the... 40 SECOND RELOAD TIMER! Who the hell wants to wait 40 seconds to reload their primary offensive weapons system?!?!

Well I guess there's no idea like a bad idea. :(((((((( sad face
Justin Cody
War Firm
#362 - 2013-11-09 01:39:07 UTC
*summons CCP Fozzie to fix this*
Hatsumi Kobayashi
Perkone
Caldari State
#363 - 2013-11-09 02:06:39 UTC
Bringing solo back (against the wall to shoot it in the face with terrible balancing)

No sig.

Theon Severasse
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#364 - 2013-11-09 02:07:40 UTC
It could work with double the charges and half the reload time, but even then 20 seconds feels like a long time to be twiddling your thumbs.
Liquid'Courage
The Hatchery
SL0W CHILDREN AT PLAY
#365 - 2013-11-09 02:30:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Liquid'Courage
Michael Harari wrote:
Gypsio III wrote:

Any change that makes a weapon system simultaneously hated by both sides in an engagement probably isn't the right one.

This man speaks the truth.
Rammix
TheMurk
#366 - 2013-11-09 02:33:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Rammix
I downvote this OP.
You should decrease the reload time to 20 seconds (50%) and the dps to ~35% (i.e. minus 35%).

OpenSUSE Leap 42.1, wine >1.9

Covert cyno in highsec: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=296129&find=unread

X'ret
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#367 - 2013-11-09 02:49:58 UTC  |  Edited by: X'ret
Rammix wrote:
I downvote this OP.
You should decrease the reload time to 20 seconds (50%) and the dps to ~35% (i.e. minus 35%).

Please dont give him ideas like this, 20sec is also horrible. Just dont f****** touch the weapons reload/outgoing dps mechanics, this conception called "ancillary" good for tanking, end of story..! For the love of god, i imagine the moment i fit Ancillary Medium Hybrid Turret or similar to my ship (bcoz this new RLML more likely Ancillary LML than anything else..)

If you got the command from above like "nerf that sh**" than do it at the good old ways, reduce rof, dmg or ship bonuses, anything but not this way. jeeez
Andrea Keuvo
Rusty Pricks
#368 - 2013-11-09 03:34:47 UTC
If you are hell bent on introducing this fail RHML can you please just leave RLML alone? Why ruin a perfectly good existing system just to introduce something new you can't balance.
darmwand
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#369 - 2013-11-09 03:54:36 UTC
This actually sounds like fun. It would allow for hit-and-run strategies which could be very valuable for small gangs against larger enemy fleets.

The issue with switching damage types could be avoided by making the reload time depend on the number of missiles left in the launcher, i.e. when the launcher is full, you get the normal 10 seconds, when it's half-empty you get 30 seconds and when it's empty you get the full 50 seconds etc.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp."

Chessur
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#370 - 2013-11-09 04:02:15 UTC
Still waiting for a response from rize.

This is a huge nerf to a number of hulls, that are working great for solo / small gang. Yet has little effect when used in large blob warfare.

Explain why you thought this particular change was needed? What is so glaringly wrong with the current RLML system?

We all no RHML's are complete ****, because they are still shooting the same old HML's which have been nerfed into the ground. Why you still refuse to place in the application / projection bonuses into the launchers is beyond me. Maybe then, they *MIGHT* be usable.

However barring that, RLML's and Cruise missiles are the only missile based weapon systems worth using. If you take our RLMLS, then you are effective throwing:

Caracal
Cerb
Scythe Fleet

All into PvP obscurity. The Caracal in particular represented a really great option for new players to become really effective in solo / fleet / small gang very early in their eve career. I don't understand why you are so desperate to strip that from them?
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#371 - 2013-11-09 04:29:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitch Kaneland
At first i thought this was going to be horrible. But the more i thought about it and adapted, the more i realize you can almost consider this a buff if you know how to use it.

Especially for what i fly, the Scythe FI will be even more beastly now. Split launchers, even with just 2 launchers and drones, i'll still be around 200dps, enough to easily maintain consistent pressure without any significant dips. And, if it looks as though things are going to go south, go balls out and overload both racks and blast your way out. Know what i get dps wise out of my scythe now? ~250 dps. I should easily be able to overload into 300+ dps with these changes. And so far, no actual missile dynamic's are changing, so i'll have missiles that fire faster and hit just as hard. With just 2 launchers i'll get sustained ~200 dps with the bonus of WTF overheat dps for if you need to power through. And for those complaining about bigger targets, i don't use RLML to knowingly fight BC's/BS/HACS, i'd use scram/web HAM's if i even decided to do it. With RLML, If you can't kill what YOU"VE decided to engage within 15-20 missiles, then you've picked the wrong launcher. That may be the point they're trying to make here. This will still be viable for cruiser killing, just at a slightly slower pace if you know what you're doing. This is good for the active/speed tank crowd, as normally our booster's/sig will last longer than their buffer, so the slight decline in dps isn't nearly as significant.

I think that RLML have always been a niche` module, and that now they've become the primary launcher for most people. Which isn't what its for. Granted, the judgement to change the dynamics of RLML and not rebuff HML is alittle counterproductive. But, RLML aren't meant to be the "best" launcher. Yes, HML needs a big buff, but if the launchers were already fixed, how would you feel about this update then? What if this is easier to modify the code now, and rebuff in the next patch/update?

Some suggestions perhaps?
Could you offer a rig that gives maybe +2 to charges? Calibration equivalent to DPS bonus rigs, that way it would limit i believe to +4, maybe 6 on some ships? Or a skill book that adds +1 capacity per skill, limiting to 5 total. Either of these would help give people maybe a smidge more flexability when selecting targets.

maybe a skill that reduces reload time by 2-4%?

Again with those bonus' you'd have to sacrifice either time or fitting on the ship, which helps to add more flexability for pilots but doesn't break the goal/dynamic you're trying to achieve.
Texty
State War Academy
Caldari State
#372 - 2013-11-09 04:51:48 UTC
If we are going this ASB direction, I'd like to see the restrictions on ship's damage application and projection bonuses taken away.
Baron' Soontir Fel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#373 - 2013-11-09 05:17:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Baron' Soontir Fel
I am a small gang/solo pilot in FW. I have been a pure missile user for 6months since I started this game and this idea is terrible.

Reasons:

1) Missiles don't apply instant damage. Missiles have to fly to their target, and with a faster ROF you will have more volleys in the air when the target dies. Meaning you have even LESS overall damage and DPS if you happen to be shooting at more than one target.

2) Less overall DPS. Who cares about burst damage if you can't kill the target? RLML will have 20-30% less dps than they have now.

3) Selectable damage types. I can't emphasize this enough. Switching to Faction missiles against Frigates, then switching to T2 Fury missiles against that Arty Thrasher, then switching to FoFs when the enemy uncloaks a Falcon to still apply DPS anscare off the tackler. There would be no reason to carry more than one missile type. Even if you start switching damage type as soon as you see them on long-scan, they'll be shooting at you before you finish reloading

4) Take a watch and count out 40 seconds. It's long. Now try playing Eve, and try to stay within long point range on a target for 40 seconds while he knows you're out of ammo. It takes forever.

5) No other viable cruiser missile system. Links ruin HAM and HML damage application, and while Links are still part of Eve, these weapon systems will be useless.

I really can't believe I'm hearing this after putting almost all my SP so far in missiles.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#374 - 2013-11-09 05:20:19 UTC
i like the idea of balancing dps with burst dps/clip size/reload time. Adds more dimensions to it and allows to give a weapon more burst dps without giving it more overall dps or making it a alpha weapon.

but we need those UI updates for all the cooldown timers, repair timers, reload timers, spool up timers, you name it.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#375 - 2013-11-09 05:55:52 UTC
Interesting approach to balance here. I like it, it's a burst weapon that's useful in short engagements without breaking the long-term dps output of those ships. Thumbs up!

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Varukka Sault
Therapy.
Brave Collective
#376 - 2013-11-09 05:56:21 UTC
:Wonders how many of the people claiming to like this idea don't actually use the weapon system or the ships effected*..

I'm not skilled in lasers, and rarely fly armor ships. I think we should nerf scorch and the new AAR...
Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#377 - 2013-11-09 06:19:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Major Killz
I like how this has become a sh!t avalanche. ROFL.

However there's some exaggeration on how "bad" these changes are and what a Cerberus or Caracal will be capable of destroying before having to reload.

Again, a caracal and certainly a Cerberus will be capable of destroying certain shield-attack battlecruisers, shield cruisers and ALL destroyers and frigates before having to reload with THESE CHANGES. Including exploding setups like a single AAR-Omen Navy issue and sh!t.

With that said. Rapid light missiles are fine as they are now so I'm not sure why this "change" was needed. Was this just about the new rapid heavy missile laucher or something else? Anyway, heavy missile and heavy assault missile are still viable (as long as webs are applied like always on cruisers and below) and have thier place. Maybe the rapid heavy launcher would screw cruise and siege missiles v0v but meh!

Anyway, if you do this "change" then reduce the reload time to around 20 - 30 seconds and reduce the rate of fire respectively or keep rate of fire as is v0v

Oh! Yeah, maybe rapid light missile lauchers range should take a hit.

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#378 - 2013-11-09 06:22:44 UTC
Clearly I havent read the whole thread. My two cents:

RLML are extremely strong right now. Cerbs and Caracals fit them over everything else. In small gang - at least in FW - the long reload is going to be a very small drawback.

If this change is going to go into effect, perhaps reduce their range a bit. Or some other small penalty. Just seems like this will be murderous in small gang. 10mn ab cerbs and carcals wont need to shoot for very long anyway.

I do like that the team is doing so many iterations though on just about everything to address balance issues. Kudos to that.

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

JEFFRAIDER
THIGH GUYS
#379 - 2013-11-09 07:29:29 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
JEFFRAIDER wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Colman Dietmar wrote:
From what I've seen, rapid caracal is already pretty much impossible to deal with using T1 frigs AND can be a threat to cruiser-sized kiting ships. Why buff it more? If anything, I would like to see a nerf to rapid launchers, not a buff to their gankiness.

And yes, I did not miss the reload time, it's just that in 50 seconds you can kill some cruisers with that 400dps, not to speak of smaller targets. If the launcher did not have enough active time to kill a cruiser, then it would be better, although it would still make caracal pretty much immune to frigs.

Let me be celar again for the 7th time. NO You cannot kill a cruiser. Even if the DPS was DOUBLE that!

You cannot dish enough dps to kill a SHIELD tanked rupture before you run out of ammo on a CERBERUS. ON a caracal you will not even reach its armour.

That sounds right to me. 400dps is not enough to kill a 25k ehp cruiser in 40 seconds

That basically measn the ship is DEAD for solo PVP. I mean the cerberus. THe caracal cannot do even 15K EHP damage.

A wellt anked cruiser acn tank on 3 caracals and laugh while they need to reload.

No

goddamn

So 1st point CCP Rise if I were u i'd be losing my mind wanting to scream r-tard all day

Anyways whatever good if a caracal can't dunk another cruiser if it fits frig-killing weapons

If the RLML stuff was like 21 charges and 30 second reload i think it'd be a very attractive solo/small gang option to pwn tackle/frig gangs

do it
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#380 - 2013-11-09 08:01:18 UTC
Saturn Asanari wrote:
Clean up the missile system first, THEN clean up the items.

I can't even tell which skills affect which launcher types because of the templating you guys use in your skill descriptions...

Do skills that affect Missile Launchers affect Rocket, Torpedo, or Cruise Launchers?
Do skills that affect Rocket Launchers affect Missiles?

The answer to both questions is yes.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016