These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Rapid Missile Launchers - v2

First post First post First post
Author
Jaffinator
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#301 - 2013-11-08 22:06:12 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Kat Ayclism wrote:
Holy crap that's terrible ******* idea

Would love if you expanded a bit.

If you want all the work you put into the Cerb to go to use in any large scale way, you won't implement this. Period.

Ignoring solo/small gang altogether (not my thing, will not attempt to speak to it), as a theorycrafter/FC in nullsec, there's no way you can give that much downtime considering 1500 man fights and hours upon hours of 10% TiDi and expect anyone to use it.

The RLML Cerb is interesting in its current iteration because reload only shaves off about 5% DPS (if that). If you do this.. well, no one will use them, at least not in large nullsec fleets. Hell, most people will point at this and say, "Hey look, another reason not to use missiles in large-scale PvP."
Beaver Retriever
Reality Sequence
#302 - 2013-11-08 22:09:58 UTC
Jaffinator wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Kat Ayclism wrote:

If you want all the work you put into the Cerb to go to use in any large scale way, you won't implement this. Period.

Ignoring solo/small gang altogether (not my thing, will not attempt to speak to it), as a theorycrafter/FC in nullsec, there's no way you can give that much downtime considering 1500 man fights and hours upon hours of 10% TiDi and expect anyone to use it.

The RLML Cerb is interesting in its current iteration because reload only shaves off about 5% DPS (if that). If you do this.. well, no one will use them, at least not in large nullsec fleets. Hell, most people will point at this and say, "Hey look, another reason not to use missiles in large-scale PvP."

You do realize not every module and every weapon system needs to be suitable for mainline DPS in 1500-man tidi fights, right?

Fit HAMs and stop whining.
Sigras
Conglomo
#303 - 2013-11-08 22:11:16 UTC
I like the idea of a dedicated anti-(one tier down) weapon platform, and this definitely is an interesting way to balance these two modules . . .

The numbers also seem to be about right because any less and you dont do enough damage to knock down a cruiser, any more and you risk affecting suicide ganking.

Right now, as the numbers stand, concord takes you out in 30 seconds, the best ship to use is porbably going to be the caracal because the drake doesnt get a light missile bonus and the Raven is going to be too expensive.

Fury missiles with 3x BCS and all level 5 skills do 159.5 damage per missile, and the caracal will have a ROF of 2.46 with the new RLML meaning it will get off 12 missiles before dieing.

12 missiles * 159.5 damage per missile * 5 missile launchers = 9,570 damage per ship

Thats well below the 11k volley 1400mm arty tornadoes can achieve and they each get off 3 shots for a total of 34.5k damage per ship

now of course arty tornadoes are quite a bit more expensive but theyre not 3.5x more expensive, also you'd have to coordinate less people with the tornadoes . . . IMHO theyre not as good.
Dread Operative
Main Corporation
Prisoners With Jobs
#304 - 2013-11-08 22:13:37 UTC
I dont even fly RML's and I think this is a **** change. 40s out of the fight is ********. How about work the ratios so it 20s reload instead.
Cptn Bagel
Strategic Fighters Association
#305 - 2013-11-08 22:13:53 UTC
I believe that the true purpose of this weapon is being misunderstood. From what I can see, these launchers are designed as more of a defensive weapon than a primary weapon. I think the idea is that you can put one or two of these on ships like the stabber or megathron navy issue, which have 2/1 utility launcher slots on them currently serving no purpose, and then use these launchers as a defensive weapon against frigates or cruisers that can't be properly engaged with your primary weapon system, similar to how drones and smart bombs are used on most contemporary fits. Honestly, I think this is a great idea.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#306 - 2013-11-08 22:14:52 UTC
Sigras wrote:
I like the idea of a dedicated anti-(one tier down) weapon platform, and this definitely is an interesting way to balance these two modules . . .

The numbers also seem to be about right because any less and you dont do enough damage to knock down a cruiser, any more and you risk affecting suicide ganking.

Right now, as the numbers stand, concord takes you out in 30 seconds, the best ship to use is porbably going to be the caracal because the drake doesnt get a light missile bonus and the Raven is going to be too expensive.

Fury missiles with 3x BCS and all level 5 skills do 159.5 damage per missile, and the caracal will have a ROF of 2.46 with the new RLML meaning it will get off 12 missiles before dieing.

12 missiles * 159.5 damage per missile * 5 missile launchers = 9,570 damage per ship

Thats well below the 11k volley 1400mm arty tornadoes can achieve and they each get off 3 shots for a total of 34.5k damage per ship

now of course arty tornadoes are quite a bit more expensive but theyre not 3.5x more expensive, also you'd have to coordinate less people with the tornadoes . . . IMHO theyre not as good.

What i the logic in makign a weapon that already SHRED frigates as if they were flies to shred them even more at the cost of not even harming cruisers and not killing good fit t2 frigates anymore?

The changes make it WORSE agaisnt FrigateS.. in plurarl. A caracal could fight 4 frigates before with rapids with good chances. Now it will DIE to those 4 frigates because 1 will be alive when you are reloading!

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#307 - 2013-11-08 22:15:41 UTC
There's way too much aluminum foil in this thread. The proposed change effects two weapon systems (one of which is still very much on the drawing board). The only aspects that may need to be adjusted are the reload time or ammunition capacity. Either a 30-second reload time (instead of 40 seconds) or a 50% ammunition reduction (instead of 75%). So instead of just dispensing with the idea outright, how about we look at a few suggestions to help refine it.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Jaffinator
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#308 - 2013-11-08 22:17:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaffinator
Beaver Retriever wrote:
Jaffinator wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Kat Ayclism wrote:

You do realize not every module and every weapon system needs to be suitable for mainline DPS in 1500-man tidi fights, right?

Fit HAMs and stop whining.

There is no reason to make the RML the Deimos of the missile launchers.

HAM and HML DPS application look pretty similar to each other in most graphed situations. Dump RLMLs on there, and you have something altogether different and unique. Like a special snowflake. A Recon/Logi-murdering special snowflake.

The Cerb made the option viable and it was something new/interesting. Some of us are sick of flying the same old ships and modules every engagement with a little tweak here or there every six months.

NINJA EDIT: Also, I said "IF" he wants it to work on the fleet scale in any form. Maybe he doesn't, but upon further review, I don't think I could recommend using a ship that's 40 seconds out of a fight for any combat situation.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#309 - 2013-11-08 22:18:40 UTC
Cptn Bagel wrote:
I believe that the true purpose of this weapon is being misunderstood. From what I can see, these launchers are designed as more of a defensive weapon than a primary weapon. I think the idea is that you can put one or two of these on ships like the stabber or megathron navy issue, which have 2/1 utility launcher slots on them currently serving no purpose, and then use these launchers as a defensive weapon against frigates or cruisers that can't be properly engaged with your primary weapon system, similar to how drones and smart bombs are used on most contemporary fits. Honestly, I think this is a great idea.

Neuts will be better for that most of time. But CURRENT rapids are already enough to make t1 frigates get away, ewven if you have 2 unbonused ones.

Now they wil NOT be scared anymore. BEcause you cannot kill a punisher with the load of 2 of these launchers!!

Its NERF evenon that scenario !!!!

Peopel need to realize.. DPS is MEANINGLESS IF YOU CANNOT REACH DESTINATION!!

What is the best way to travel 200km? A Rocket taht goes 2 thousand km/h but can fly 4 seconds.. or a car that goes 100 km/h but can go for 6 hours if needed?

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Turelus
Utassi Security
#310 - 2013-11-08 22:19:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Turelus
So you want a weapons system with his high damage fast but has no capacity and take 40seconds to reload?

40 seconds, stop and actually look at your clock and wait 40seconds. Now think about how enjoyable that time will be in PVP if you're not doing anything.
Remember that problem with ECM where you don't do anything for 20second cycles and people get furious over it? That's basically what the reload time for these weapons will be.

What about reloading after a fight? that's 40 seconds you can't jump through a gate because it will interrupt the reload, you're basically sat doing nothing for almost a minute.

I hate to be a jerk but if you're having issues balancing a weapon system two weeks before release why are you putting them into the game to start with?

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#311 - 2013-11-08 22:20:38 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
There's way too much aluminum foil in this thread. The proposed change effects two weapon systems (one of which is still very much on the drawing board). The only aspects that may need to be adjusted are the reload time or ammunition capacity. Either a 30-second reload time (instead of 40 seconds) or a 50% ammunition reduction (instead of 75%). So instead of just dispensing with the idea outright, how about we look at a few suggestions to help refine it.

The design shoudl jsut be less extreme. Keep rapids on a dps scale between current and the proposed values (rof time) But also do not nerf the capacity so much.

Extreme designs almsot NEVER worked in eve (They floped misreably or became overpowered).

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#312 - 2013-11-08 22:22:56 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
The design shoudl jsut be less extreme. Keep rapids on a dps scale between current and the proposed values (rof time) But also do not nerf the capacity so much.

Extreme designs almsot NEVER worked in eve (They floped misreably or became overpowered).

Rate of fire is fine.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

JEFFRAIDER
THIGH GUYS
#313 - 2013-11-08 22:24:53 UTC
I've gotten like 500 kills solo/small gang with an RLML Caracal, and I honestly like this change! Now it seems a bit extreme atm in terms of shooting time compared to reloading, maybe adding 3 charges to the RLML and decreasing reload times to 30-33 seconds or something (or even introduce a skill for speeding up reloads CoolCoolCool) and you've got a stew going.

I think having Rapid launchers be just different in terms of weapons systems sounds cool. May take some tweaking to find the sweet spot between **** and useless but I think this is pretty interesting.
Niena Nuamzzar
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#314 - 2013-11-08 22:31:26 UTC
Make the separate weapon system and do with it what ever you want, make reload time 60 seconds, I don't care, but let us choose to use it - do not force such a drastic change almost over night. In other words, leave RLML alone. You can test your concept with RHML first to see how it goes, cause heavy missiles in their present state are crap anyway and not too many will be as much annoyed if you turn crap into bigger crap.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#315 - 2013-11-08 22:31:40 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Rate of fire is fine.

Maybe.. but they will NOT unnerf the reload without taking elsewhere....

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#316 - 2013-11-08 22:36:58 UTC
JEFFRAIDER wrote:
I've gotten like 500 kills solo/small gang with an RLML Caracal, and I honestly like this change! Now it seems a bit extreme atm in terms of shooting time compared to reloading, maybe adding 3 charges to the RLML and decreasing reload times to 30-33 seconds or something (or even introduce a skill for speeding up reloads CoolCoolCool) and you've got a stew going.

I think having Rapid launchers be just different in terms of weapons systems sounds cool. May take some tweaking to find the sweet spot between **** and useless but I think this is pretty interesting.

That type of compromisse is the obvious way ... but I do not have much confidence ccp will unerf that much the proposal....

So many here fail to realize Infinit speed is irrelevant when your range is shorter than what you need.

And again before anyone post any crap again how this get it stronger agaisnt frigates...

it does NOT! Rapid missiles already kill several frigates wihtout much problem if you can control some of the time until they tackle you... With rapid changes you will kill the first one even faster.. but will die to the others before you can fire again.

Kynric
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#317 - 2013-11-08 22:39:16 UTC
This change will effect rate of fire bonused ships to a greater degree than damage bonused ships. 25 seconds of uptime followed by 40 seconds of reloading will be a lot more anoying than 50 seconds followed by 40. Would it be possible to have rate of fire ship bonuses also effect either the magazine size or the reload time?

Also, one of the things that makes missle boats different than projectile boats is the ammo selection considerations, the long reload will make switching ammo during pvp much less attractive thus removing a lot of tactical choices. The idea behind this change is interesting but the implementation is less so.
Ariel Dawn
State War Academy
Caldari State
#318 - 2013-11-08 22:40:06 UTC
Would increasing Rapid Light payload to 21 from 18 as well as reducing the reload from 40 to 30 be a reasonable change? Definitely needs to have a bit less time reloading for damage type selection!
Kane Fenris
NWP
#319 - 2013-11-08 22:48:41 UTC
lets summ up the problems:

- Rof reduces active time
- ammo switch problem

there would be ways to fix this the problem is both would be to much effort for not much yield.

-rof affecting clipsize(highly unnatural)
-switching ammo without reloading it (would not be equal to normal launcher mechanism if you thing it through, just not as bad as proposed)

Colman Dietmar
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#320 - 2013-11-08 22:59:20 UTC
From what I've seen, rapid caracal is already pretty much impossible to deal with using T1 frigs AND can be a threat to cruiser-sized kiting ships. Why buff it more? If anything, I would like to see a nerf to rapid launchers, not a buff to their gankiness.

And yes, I did not miss the reload time, it's just that in 50 seconds you can kill some cruisers with that 400dps, not to speak of smaller targets. If the launcher did not have enough active time to kill a cruiser, then it would be better, although it would still make caracal pretty much immune to frigs.