These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Busting gate camps solo?

Author
Koujjo Dian
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-11-07 13:07:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Koujjo Dian
Ran into a gate camp last night. There was no intel on it. No pods destroyed in the last hour showed on the map in that system. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Luckily I was in a fast ship and they didn't have proper tackle. Just a bunch of random frigs and a few destroyers. It got me thinking though, the only reason I got away is luck and I hate that. I don't like my success in a game being decided by a roll of the dice so lets see if we can turn these lemons into lemonade......

I've seen videos of solo pilots taking on gate camps in fast kitey stuff, cruisers mostly but it seems to me that relies heavily on knowing where the gate camp is ahead of time. I want to do it the other way. Jump head first right on top of them with something big and nasty. Alpha their caps with neuts, web them so they can't get away and blap them one by one.

So am I dreaming? I know it's been done before. Can it be done often with a relatively high chance of success? I figure a battlecruiser would be ideal for the typical frigate/destroyer camps most often found in FW and possibly even a battleship for small pirate gangs in their BCs. I would mostly be flying Amarr ships and I'm thinking the Prophecy would be ideal. What kind of EHP should I be shooting for? They say battleship pvp is dead and nothing over dessy size is useful in FW. Is it true?
Meditril
Forced Content
#2 - 2013-11-07 14:16:40 UTC
The Hurricane was good for this job before it got nerved. You where able to fit it with two neutralizers, 2xweb, scram, AB, and a huge passive tank. Together with drones and the smallest medium auto cannons it was a beast against small frigate gangs... as long they engage you in scram range.
Danny John-Peter
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-11-07 14:27:58 UTC
If its Frigs and dessies, Cerbs, Caracals or Vagabonds come to mind.

A super tanky Prophecy or something could also work.
Koujjo Dian
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2013-11-07 15:18:34 UTC
Danny John-Peter wrote:

I only fly Amarr so it would have to be the Prophecy. I was thinking HAMs with 1 med neut, dual web and the biggest passive tank I could fit.
Tesoni Daven
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#5 - 2013-11-07 15:36:39 UTC
Triple rep myrmidon is probably your best bet. Can tank alot longer than a prophecy and can apply more dps to frigates and dessies. You could ttraininto it in, like, a week, save the t2 blasters, which arnt terribly important anyways, since most of your dps is from drones, and you will be shooting faction antimatter 90% of the time.
Chessur
Fweddit
Free Range Chikuns
#6 - 2013-11-07 15:37:36 UTC
Koujjo Dian wrote:
Danny John-Peter wrote:

I only fly Amarr so it would have to be the Prophecy. I was thinking HAMs with 1 med neut, dual web and the biggest passive tank I could fit.

A navy omen is what you want, easily the best or second best amarr solo / small gamg ship. Proph is horrible- and i would suggest not flying it out side of big fleet stuff.
Danny John-Peter
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2013-11-07 16:27:01 UTC
Chessur wrote:
Koujjo Dian wrote:
Danny John-Peter wrote:

A navy omen is what you want, easily the best or second best amarr solo / small gamg ship. Proph is horrible- and i would suggest not flying it out side of big fleet stuff.

Sigh...

I honestly wouldn't fly the Nomen for this, its frig defence is relatively bad so if you get caught you are probably ******.

The Myrm is a good suggestion too, also if I was fitting a prophecy to go for frig gangs I would probably go neuts RLMLs and dual webs or something similar, another option is an injector and add an MAAR/MAR for some sustained tank.
Rekkr Nordgard
Borderland Militia
Zero Hedge Union
#8 - 2013-11-07 17:25:45 UTC
The issue you're going to run into is bringing something that can win without scaring them off. Decloak in something too big and they're just going to crash the gate, jump, and not fight you which means you probably don't want to go above a T1 BC and a cruiser would be better.

When you jump into a gate camp, they're going to be right on top of you, so anything that relies on being kitey and staying out of range rather than tank is most likely going to be scrammed, webbed, and dead. Since you're solo, you'll either need something with a lot of buffer and resists or active tanked. For fighting frigs/dessies in a larger ship, having a scram/web/neut combo is ideal. I would recommend either a prophecy or a navy augoror for the job if you're flying Amarr. Personally I would go for the navy aug as it's less likely to scare your targets or draw unwanted attention.
Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-11-07 19:06:41 UTC
The old pvp videos that showed gatebusting were really good.

The ones I remember are dual rep dominix with medium blasters (I dont think this would work anymore), triple plated or buffer/plate combo megathrons or abbadons, pure active maelstroms, hyperions with no prop mods, etc. All with boosts in system, cans/haulers at the gate with extra cap boosters, and the appropriate drugs and HG Slaves, Crystals, etc. Bait tanking usually played a key role in luring more and more lambs to the slaughter.

It was really cool to watch. In practice, it required a huge investment in skill, resources and planning.

That being said - its still fun to try.

Last time I tried was against a gang of frigates that were camping a gate. I brought a smartbombing dominix. This is how I learned the hard way that you cannot activate smartbombs within a certain distance of a gate. Its a lolworthy lossmail, to be sure.

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Koujjo Dian
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2013-11-07 19:25:34 UTC
Thanks for all the replies. No I don't have access to drugs or links so I'd have to make due without. I wouldn't think a BC would scare off an 8-10 frig gang but I may try the augoror anyway. I may go down in flames but you can't do something really epic unless you try :).
Liam Inkuras
dead.Orbit
#11 - 2013-11-08 00:15:47 UTC
Post-Rubicon, Marauders will be fantastic for solo dunking gatecamps of larger ships. For small frigate/Dessy camps, the Myrm can do well, as can an Exequror Navy Issue if you want to go down the brawling route. To be honest, however, it's only a matter of time until they brig in enough to kill you. Kiting the gang around is a better choice, as you can disengage as needed. For said style, the Caracal, ScyFI, NOsprey, and to a lesser extent, the Cerb will do this well.

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Chessur
Fweddit
Free Range Chikuns
#12 - 2013-11-08 01:20:47 UTC
Danny John-Peter wrote:
Chessur wrote:
Koujjo Dian wrote:
Danny John-Peter wrote:

Sigh...

I honestly wouldn't fly the Nomen for this, its frig defence is relatively bad so if you get caught you are probably ******.

The Myrm is a good suggestion too, also if I was fitting a prophecy to go for frig gangs I would probably go neuts RLMLs and dual webs or something similar, another option is an injector and add an MAAR/MAR for some sustained tank.

I don't think that you are giving the Nomen a fair shake. The thing goes over 4.5K/S heated- and can deal with frigs quite easily. It can easily reduce transversal with its insade speed and given that it has 45K+ Range, blaps them beofre they get close. If one does happen to get a scram off on you- relese EC-600 drones, take drop, load imperial multi and pray.
Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#13 - 2013-11-08 06:39:23 UTC
The most affordable are certainly t1 hulls.
I would suggest either Brutix, Myrmidon, Tornado, Talos or if its a really big camp a dualrep Hyperion.
I you have a very large camp with mixed ship sizes a Machariel either armor or shield tanked comes to mind.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Starbuck05
Abiding Ormolus
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#14 - 2013-11-08 07:36:51 UTC
The prophecy ideea is not good,me and 14 other derptrons killed it. Use a focused gun or missle platform ship cause drones are easly killed and ur dps will be 0 after

Just because i am blond does not make me stoopid !

Morgan Torry
Arma Purgatorium
#15 - 2013-11-08 08:10:33 UTC
Starbuck05 wrote:
The prophecy ideea is not good,me and 14 other derptrons killed it. Use a focused gun or missle platform ship cause drones are easly killed and ur dps will be 0 after

A good alternative is to not fit HAMs, since anything smaller than a BC and you might as well not use it. Go with RLML's or 220mm Autocannons - they're quite effective against cruisers down. To add to it, stick with Warrior II's....small sig radii, better tracking/speed for smaller targets, and you can fit multiple flights. Be concerned if they take shield damage and right-click return to drone bay the minute you see it taking the damage. If you have your opponents focusing on your drones and the 3 to 8 seconds it takes to lock them in frigs/dessies you are buying yourself valuable time to rip into them.

Prophecy is very strong despite Starbuck's insight (which he is telling the truth). Most deploy drones, primary what they want, and hope they can outlive the frigs. With some micromanagement the Prophecy could easily have taken down the derptrons. Unless it was HM/HAM fit...then it'd struggle a lot.

Arma Purgatorium - What is Podded May Never Die

Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#16 - 2013-11-08 08:18:39 UTC
The derptrons bring 200 DPS on field each, thats 3k DPS if they were shooting him all at once.
I doubt they even needed to kill his drones, with a buffer tank of 100k EHP he would have lived for about a minute.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#17 - 2013-11-08 11:26:43 UTC
Hyperion
Danny John-Peter
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-11-08 13:32:04 UTC
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
The derptrons bring 200 DPS on field each, thats 3k DPS if they were shooting him all at once.
I doubt they even needed to kill his drones, with a buffer tank of 100k EHP he would have lived for about a minute.

Derptron blob you say?

[Abaddon, approachmeplz]
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
'Halcyon' Core Equalizer I
'Halcyon' Core Equalizer I

Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800
Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800
Large Micro Jump Drive
'Ghost' ECM Burst

Large 'Vehemence' Shockwave Charge

Large Trimark Armor Pump I

Froggy Storm
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2013-11-09 05:38:11 UTC
After Rubicon hits a RLM prophecy might be just the thing for this. With the latest change to how the RML works you might be able to blast several frigs out of the sky before reload kicks in. Then just deagress and jump back through.

Would take some practice and either brick buffer or AAR fit maybe to waddle back to the gate. Mean while the reload finishes up and you can pop a couple more who cross jump with you.

Assuming that you time it right (reloading aar and rmls while letting agro drop) then a proph might be able to take several frigs out going back and forth.
Teqq Cruiser
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-11-14 16:02:14 UTC
Unless you know the exact amount of frigs in advance etc...Any proposed tanking ship here will be at risk. What I love to do is fly through the camp and come back in a 100km sniping cormorant on grid and have the whole frigate gang head to me, some die and / or dissipate to leave the gate clear of campers lol.. When a snipping 100k+ ship land on gate, usually they fly away.

HINT: try to shoot the tacklers, if you manage to kill one, the campers wont stay.
12Next page