These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fellow Motorcyclists - What Do You Ride?

Author
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2013-10-31 04:46:17 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
the origin of the repsol:

without any riding experience, there I was with my friends on a summer day in 2006 and the plan was to go for a group ride around los angeles. the repsol was practically new and one of two that belonged to one of my friends. I didn't ask to do it, I swear. I got on the 1000cc CBR and we did some practice loops in a school parking lot on my block, and headed to a cafe. I was last to park, and as my buddy mentioned he would sell it before it devalued after a full season, I tipped it onto its right side while dismounting. all I said was ,"sold!" I consider it one of those things that pushed me outside my comfort zone--if it wasn't for that mishap, I definitely would not have become the owner of a street bike. ever. I was 24, and had just purchased a new mustang GT, and with the addition of the flashy Repsol my image and self-image was completely over-the-top, and I liked it. the car and the bike happened in the same period that I began dating my future wife--a tall, leggy, 18 yr old bombshell. I even rode the Repsol to my wedding at Caesar's Palace. yeah. I've never considered my personal growth in the context of that motorcycle, but now that I am I see it was definitely a catalyst for a lifestyle overhaul that I experienced. one of those small things that I couldn't do on purpose if I tried. and after having a taste of that image, it's impossible to go back. especially because I never got injured.

I think I'll take it to school next week. I'd better hurry before it gets too cold.

I've only ever dropped my bike once when dismounting... classic case of forgot-to-put-the-kickstand-down Roll

It got stopped by boxes that were stacked there because we just finished our move so 0 damage to anything but my ego

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#42 - 2013-10-31 05:44:52 UTC
yeah, the one time I was stopped by highway patrol, I bumped the saddle with my left thigh as I dismounted, and tipped it over a second time. still got a ticket. lol
Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#43 - 2013-10-31 11:03:37 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:

The above numbers are probably attributed to two different things. One being what bikers like to point out which is the increase in the number of drivers that are distracted by technology or other non car related interactions. The second reason I believe can be attributed to the massive increase of younger, hot blooded and non risk adverse males.

Oh yeah, absolutly. I wonder if those piagio things that you can drive on with a car lisence are counted as motorcycle accidents. I mean I see quite a lot of 18 year old kids on them, probably got ther (car) license from mommy and daddy and then grab one of those, and race them around as if theye were still on that scooter theye got when 16 Roll

I Do agree with you that its not just car drivers that dont pay attention. I do see motor cyclists and truck drivers pulling crazy stunts and show that theye dont pay attention. Just not as often as car drivers(granted there are a lot more of those on the road)

but I DO believe that most people would be better drivers if theye'd take some motor(or truck) driving lessons.
MyEveLotto
Doomheim
#44 - 2013-10-31 13:02:45 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
MyEveLotto wrote:
heh That's where I win out, then. 6.6 gallon tank. Gets about 250 miles to the tank.

I'm going to beat you!!!!

I'm getting saddlebags so I can load them up with theseCool

I'll see your fuel canisters and raise you a trailer.

http://i.imgur.com/Q4a6wsi.jpg

People do all sorts of mods to FJRs for fuel as well. I've seen a 9 gallon tank (enlarged), auxilary fuel canisters mounted to the back, etc.

Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
I've only ever dropped my bike once when dismounting...

I've only dropped mine once... However, it was perhaps in the most embarassing manner possible.

When I bought my FJR, I flew out to Phoenix, AZ to buy it from the previous owner. He had it up on the center stand in his hangar at the airport, and when it came time to take it down off the centerstand, I did it completely wrong. I had never taken a bike that heavy off the centerstand before, and grossly underestimated the weight. It didn't help that he didn't correct me on the procedure, but here I was on one side of the bike, rolling it down off the centerstand, apply the brake...and it falls away from me right there in front of the previous owner. I felt -so- bad... Shocked

Slade Trillgon wrote:
The above numbers are probably attributed to two different things. One being what bikers like to point out which is the increase in the number of drivers that are distracted by technology or other non car related interactions. The second reason I believe can be attributed to the massive increase of younger, hot blooded and non risk adverse males.

There's also the increase in the number of motorcyclists on the road these days. They're becoming more and more popular and more and more numerous. That increases the chances of an accident happening as there's more motorcycles to be hit.

myEVElotto.com - The New Public Lottery Site

Zatar Sharisa
New Eden Heavy Industries Incorporated
#45 - 2013-11-01 01:59:54 UTC
2005 Honda VTX 1300R.
Started riding in Georgia last year, and was able to ride through the whole winter. I'm in Cleveland this year though, so not looking forward to putting Ginhime up. I much prefer getting to ride.

I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind.  People livin' in competition.  All I want is to have my peace of mind.

"Peace of Mind"  --  Boston

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2013-11-01 18:06:19 UTC
Zatar Sharisa wrote:
2005 Honda VTX 1300R.
Started riding in Georgia last year, and was able to ride through the whole winter. I'm in Cleveland this year though, so not looking forward to putting Ginhime up. I much prefer getting to ride.

It's not a Harley but it is a pretty bike

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-11-01 21:06:53 UTC
1987 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

It was a Craigslist special (nothing worked). I replaced the main wiring harness, all the ignition and half the charging system. Now it runs like a champ. Best $1,200 (including replacements) I ever spent Big smile

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

MyEveLotto
Doomheim
#48 - 2013-11-01 21:11:57 UTC
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:

It was a Craigslist special (nothing worked). I replaced the main wiring harness, all the ignition and half the charging system. Now it runs like a champ. Best $1,200 (including replacements) I ever spent Big smile

Nice deal. Craigslist specials are often one of the best ways to obtain a bike. Lol

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2013-11-02 17:58:28 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:

Nice deal. Craigslist specials are often one of the best ways to obtain a bike. Lol

"Craigslist special" aka stolen
fuer0n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2013-11-03 15:11:41 UTC
gsxr 600k4 that used to be my road bike converted to a trackbike. fairings need to be painted over winter. tribal theme, not sure whether to go decal route or paint yet. maybe a new triumph 675r early next year.

any other eve players avid uk trackdayers? only done anglsey, oulton and rockingham so far but did quite a few days this year.
fuer0n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2013-11-03 20:30:59 UTC  |  Edited by: fuer0n
Rain6637 wrote:
CBR 1000 Repsol. I used to take it to school, and visit a friend at work between classes, who took these pictures on his phone. I don't have any other pictures of myself on it. I could take some--it's at home with me. It has a power commander tune thing, titanium exhaust, upgraded suspension, and a bunch of lighter-weight bits in the handlebar area. I've taken it to 175mph. I would've kept going but I tipped my head above the windshield and the wind ripped my visor off. LolLol

nice bike but i hope you don't mind me saying i hope you don't ride around in that gear. get some self preservation, it doesn't have to be your fault but we are the ones that take the pain mostly, do everything you can to mitigate that possibility even on a warm sunny day. get some leathers man or at least some gloves. your hands are going to be the first things down if its at a lowish speed.

had my little 600 up to 164mph on the clock, the best way i can describe it is it;s like being on a missile with a surprising amount of steering. on track i have no trouble at all keeping with the 1000cc, it can be a pain in the arse when they slow you down in the corners only to out accelerate you when they stand it up. usually doesnt take long to get past.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2013-11-05 02:05:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
yeah, no leathers. but I don't ride much anymore. i have a feeling it was a phase that has more or less passed. like my military service--a death wish. had to get it out of my system. (it was bad. i used to walk up to suspicious mounds and kick them on patrol. it depresses me to admit that.)
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2013-11-05 02:48:24 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
yeah, no leathers. but I don't ride much anymore. i have a feeling it was a phase that has more or less passed. like my military service--a death wish. had to get it out of my system. (it was bad. i used to walk up to suspicious mounds and kick them on patrol. it depresses me to admit that.)

I leather up Cool

And I did stupid **** on patrol all the time, you see a 120mm or so shell lying on the ground, you have to throw rocks at it to see if it does anything Big smile

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#54 - 2013-11-05 09:15:58 UTC
fuer0n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2013-11-05 13:58:40 UTC  |  Edited by: fuer0n
Rain6637 wrote:

lots of lads over here sadly get killed like that. after being on tour they come home, big wad of cash buy a bike. because they are home and where they have been they don't seem to percieve the real dangers of motorcycling.

still say the best thing you can buy is good training - someone that will go above just getting you through your test and give you information you can use practically that are lifesavers.

get some leathers on and get down to your nearest track, maybe you'll get rid of them chicken strips :) to be fair though the tyres look quite new. much safer although not 100% safe it's better than taking your chances out on the road, anyway much more fun. and no cops with radar guns to worry about.

just try it sound to me like you wouldnt regret it. be warned it can make a crack addiction look like a mild craving for something Shocked.and can be just as expensive especially if you like to push the limits a lot. a set of diablo supercorsas lasts me aprox 21 20 min sessions.
MyEveLotto
Doomheim
#56 - 2013-11-05 15:32:22 UTC
ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) is the only way to ride.

I have Olympia gear that I've been very pleased with. My AST 2 jacket has kept me comfortable in 100 degree weather in the southwest and 35 degree weather in the northeast. All season gear is definitely the way to go, IMO.

fuer0n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2013-11-05 15:38:50 UTC  |  Edited by: fuer0n
i have summer and winter gear but thats needed over here in the UK and i used to have a "noddy suit" bit like a waterproof baby romper that covers leathers till i mentioned it to my mechanic. still dont know what happened to it but his coment about being dry when riding down to assen to watch the gp makes me think he had something to do with it. i didnt find out it had gone till i needed it one day.....then i thought you bastard Lol

FJRs nice bikes for touring i belive. looks like your having fun with it anyway and that's all that counts. the ground looks so dry there. everytime i head out for a trip the heavens seem to open.
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2013-11-05 15:54:20 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) is the only way to ride.

I dig that quote. Wearing the proper clothing, at least a set of leather (jacket, gloves, pants/chaps) can really save your hide.

Going for a slide already ruins your day, but better it's done on treated cow skin rather than your own. I leather up for every ride and add some armor when I'm going on a long multi-state trip. Now that Winter has come, I'm digging out my heated jacket and gloves.

Side note, I'm looking for an alligator skin jacket. Something with the rough scales, not the delicate expensive part of the hide. Anyone have a line on something like that (I can google just fine, but I like to touch before I buy)? It would look seriously badass during my ride.

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

MyEveLotto
Doomheim
#59 - 2013-11-05 16:01:03 UTC
fuer0n wrote:
the ground looks so dry there. everytime i head out for a trip the heavens seem to open.

heh Not always dry. Earlier on that trip I rode through torrential downpour in western Pennsylvania. Up here in NY it rains a lot too due to the Great Lakes.

That's why I got waterproof gear. Cool

fuer0n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2013-11-05 16:12:31 UTC  |  Edited by: fuer0n
you pull that trailer too? luxury camping eh Lol at least yous stuff will be dry.