These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Would you put EVE on a CV?

First post
Author
Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#41 - 2013-10-24 00:46:13 UTC
Being in the IT branch, it is on my resume.

Also, if you're looking to be a manager of something, especially IT business related, putting on your resume that you've lead 1000 man corporation in a game like Eve, or if you want to join a logistics company, and on your resume is that you've organised the moving an fitting of a 5000 man alliance and their logistical backbone, yes, that is definitely something worth putting on your resume.

For a construction worker, not really relevant. It basicly comes down to exactly that, revelevance to the position you're looking for.
Eve has so many aspects that require skills in very high levels that you need to perform certain real life jobs, that being successful in eve doing these things is most definitely something worth mentioning.

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#42 - 2013-10-24 04:50:52 UTC
I also point to this again, even thought it's over five years old now. IBM gaming and Leadership Report - Studying management practices in online games.

Share your experience

Write for the EVE Tribune

www.eve-tribune.com

Kara Trix
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#43 - 2013-10-24 05:34:17 UTC
Unless you're trying to work for a Gaming company.............. NEVER DO IT..... NEVER ....

I've owned computer retail stores for over 20 years and I've hired all types of IT guys, and I would see it as a distraction to work and nothing more. If you programmed code for CCP, then put that.

Only a game dev... would see a value in your understanding game mechanics.
Josef Djugashvilis
#44 - 2013-10-24 06:01:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Josef Djugashvilis
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
No Means No wrote:
world of warcraft players were considered to be better employees compared to those who dont play it.

true story..

gamers are to be amongst the best employees, turned out they have higher levels of:

focus
creativity
dedication
presistence
multi tasking capabilities
and other qualities i dont remember of

just google

That's the problem... you receive a CV... it mentions EVE Online... you google it... then read of corporate theft, espionage, scams, awoxing... Lol

The qualities you have listed above, are the ideal qualities for someone considering a career in Banking and Financial Services.

This is not a signature.

Imiarr Timshae
Funny Men In Funny Hats
#45 - 2013-10-24 07:39:10 UTC
"I have worked as a recruitment consultant in the field for twenty five years and if anyone mentions computer gaming even as a hobby on their CV, application or any correspondence with me or my department I put their application in the bin."

Someone with 25 years experience in my field. Great.
ZAKURELL0 LINDA
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#46 - 2013-10-24 08:14:12 UTC
Imiarr Timshae wrote:
"I have worked as a recruitment consultant in the field for twenty five years and if anyone mentions computer gaming even as a hobby on their CV, application or any correspondence with me or my department I put their application in the bin."

Someone with 25 years experience in my field. Great.

this. unless of course when u r applying for CCP or similar gaming companies Sad

RIP Iron Lady

Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#47 - 2013-10-24 08:35:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhivre
I put WoW on my CV when I played that....so I would have no problem with putting Eve on my CV.

EDIT:

Yes, it came up at an interview, yes, it was discussed at length about raiding etc (by two directors who had no idea wtf a computer was), and yes, I got the job.

People put football, golf, movies etc on their cv...I am not ashamed of my hobby.
Imiarr Timshae
Funny Men In Funny Hats
#48 - 2013-10-24 08:40:06 UTC
It is worth noting that it is still on my C.V.

I've run an agency that sells standings for four years. It has had (it fluctuates because it operates like a real-world agency) around 150 people involved at the peak.

I maintain accounts, manage clients, bill people, pay people, process invoices, produce spreadsheets and deal with basically everything else imaginable from managing timezone differences between a client who wants standing in Australia and a mission runner who lives in Belgium to dealing with non-English speaking clients who desperately want something I don't understand.

The link to my business is in my forum signature so if you're reading this feel free to go and check it out - you'll see my record is overwhelmingly positive.

When I was applying for recruitment consultant positions inside an agency I listed this experience as "Creation and management of an approximately 150 staff operation within an online simulated microeconomy owned by Crowd Control Productions. This experience saw me create a job agency from the ground up, advertise, recruit employees, manage staff inflow/outflow, process invoices, manage accounts, act as first point of contact for the organization, manage international timezone differences between clients and potential employees and maintain two email lists with information for clients/employees."

This did in fact get me a job interview - my C.V. ended up on the desk of the head of a company in London and I was invited to an interview there.

That aside - I don't list this experience anywhere else, even as a hobby, nor would I put it on a C.V. for anything else. But for recruitment positions what I do in Eve is pretty much exactly analogous.
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2013-10-24 09:54:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
Rhivre wrote:
I put WoW on my CV when I played that....so I would have no problem with putting Eve on my CV.

EDIT:

Yes, it came up at an interview, yes, it was discussed at length about raiding etc (by two directors who had no idea wtf a computer was), and yes, I got the job.

People put football, golf, movies etc on their cv...I am not ashamed of my hobby.

It's unlikely that you will play football until 2AM causing you to be tired at work the next day.
Maybe I am unfair but I would always expect a WoW player to prioritize another dozen pulls on some boss his guild just got down to single digit percents over being alert at his job the next day, and I would expect an EVE player to stick out the full 5 hours of a FR- like battle even if that means going to bed at 2 or 3 AM.

As for the "I am leading an alliance of 7,000 players, look how great my management skills are" suggestions - that only works if the HR guy has no idea how much work running an EVE alliance is.
Otherwise you have just told him that you spend almost every waking minute of your life managing your EVE alliance - probably including your time on the job (running jabber on your smartphone while at work seems to be disturbingly common amongst EVE players). Your employer can also expect you to take days off on short notice or feign illness whenever your alliance has to deal with important timers in ****** timezones.

The only EVE players I would recommend hiring are the extreme casuals. I would expect a 0.0 grunt to frequently arrive at work sleepy & sluggish and I would expect anyone in an in-game leadership position to have his mind on EVE and not on his work.

(I think my view of MMO players would be much nicer if I only knew the negative stereotypes and didn't have any first-hand experience.)

Thalos Elongus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2013-10-24 09:58:07 UTC
We once had a guest Speaker at a Company Event that claimed that games have superpowers.

The session was great and actually had some interesting twists in it. The way the Speaker sold it, i would not mind putting it on my CV. There are definitely some skills that can be thought by plaing MMO's.

But on the other Hand i am a Little bit odd when it Comes to CV's and interviews... One of my favorite interview questions is "What is your best trait?" (Which is almost always asked... My stock answer to this one is "I am lazy" (And yes, I -DO- have a Job...)

Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#51 - 2013-10-24 11:12:07 UTC
Well not into CV. But I did mention it in my Marie Curie Fellowship proposal as part of my leadership experience. It's a bit risky thing to do ofc as it depends on evaluators if they see it as valuable experience or as a proof that I have "wasted time on games".

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#52 - 2013-10-24 11:14:27 UTC
No..... just no.

The only instance i can think of it being acceptable would be for a job in the games industry, or for an employer that you know plays EvE. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Trevor Dalech
Nobody in Local
Deepwater Hooligans
#53 - 2013-10-24 23:00:49 UTC
While I have always put some of my hobbies on my CV, it gives an interesting conversation opening once you get past the "can you do the job" part to the "are you a fun co-worker" part, I wouldn't think of putting EVE (or any other computer game) on there.

Saying I was the treasurer of my chess club conveys the message that I am smart and responsible (wait...What?!?)

Saying I was the treasurer in an online gaming group doesn't really carry the same weight for some reason.
Schroedinger Boltzman
State War Academy
Caldari State
#54 - 2013-11-04 07:49:24 UTC
No you don't put Eve Online on a CV.

Instead, pretend your eve experiences are real, and that you worked for an obscure company in another part of the country that is very difficult to contact, and put that on your cv. When you are asked questions during your interview you can relay your experiences within eve with convincing detail and the confidence of someone who hasn't just made it all up, or exaggerated their role at a previous company.
Lugalbandak
Lego3
#55 - 2013-11-04 08:07:27 UTC
mmh , thats wy im still unemployed

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Bal'Ayle
Loona's Loonatics
Citizen's Star Republic
#56 - 2013-11-04 09:02:15 UTC
See i put just "EVE" on my CV as a hobbie, and it has got me two jobs in 5 years, mainly on one because they used that as a topic for me to "train" other people with as the job I applied for required me to supervise and they wanted to see if I could educate a room full of people about something no-one but me knew about. 2 people went home and started playing it long term.

and the second time it was brought up in an interview as a "what is EVE?" The manager loved the idea so much that he subscribed and we both started playing together "not at work after hours... honest >_>"

I think anything on your CV can be used positively so long as you can apply it to a real world scenario. Eve allows us to play with stock markets, buy and trade goods and form alliances with people generally speaking we cant actually stand for the better of both organisations.

It teaches us teamwork and trust, betrayal and despair and all of these leave small markers on our personalities however you want to decorate that truth.

In game I will shelter you if I can and help you if only you would ask. I never ignore a chat and am more than happy to work as a team but I am easily capable of working solo. I can recognise a wolf in sheeps clothing and hide my own claws pretty well.

All of this using our much loved internet space ships, my grammars awful my spelling worse and I'm a manager at a roofing company - hell im on break right now.

But if my boss asks it of me I will stay for those extra 2-3 hours to help out, I buy the lunches in our office and it is me who offers those under me tea or clears our bins when there full. I train the new people and I keep an eye on health and safety and Law. Why? Because That's who I am. I bring the spare ammo to an engagement I fly ahead or play tackle. and I distract the interceptors so you can get away.

So yes, It goes on my CV if anything just as an ice breaker to let me know they read it and are capable as employers to admit they do not know what it is.

=]
Xorth Adimus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#57 - 2013-11-04 09:43:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Xorth Adimus
No.. Never it boils down to:

1. They have never heard of EVE and think you are weird or obsessed with video games (you really want to to depend on this guy to turn up on time and do the job)?

2. Worse they have heard of eve and how obsessive and backstabbing it is.. or have even play it... 'wow you play EVE cool what alliance are you in... FUFUFUFUUFUFUUFUFUFUFU you are why I quit!' whilst stabbing you with the nearest blunt instrument.

I bite my lip at the boss telling me he plays minecraft with his son.. Oh you play computer games.. how.. erm novel...

EVE is real.

Work is work.

Eve can teach you all kinds of interesting things about working with other people especially people who initially don't want to do what you want.. best to keep it to yourself.
Bal'Ayle
Loona's Loonatics
Citizen's Star Republic
#58 - 2013-11-04 14:31:46 UTC
2 hours ago, because of this topic i gave a chap a trial for a week just because he knew what EVE was. hes getting a weeks money based on his professionalism and because he thinks that EVE is like any other hobby.

in defence of the opposition I also like airsoft but as a 24yr old manager i dont tell many people particularly prospective employers that i like metal toy guns and BB bullets. so I guess the end result is this.

anything can be positive or negative depending upon the context of its arrival in a conversation.
BoBoZoBo
MGroup9
#59 - 2013-11-05 15:47:37 UTC  |  Edited by: BoBoZoBo
I DO!

Not just EVE, but gaming in general on my resume - I do business development and strategy. I am certain some people don't get it, but that is great because it weeds those people out and attracts those who do. It has not hurt one bit.

Primary Test Subject • SmackTalker Elite

Grendel Sickswitch
#60 - 2013-11-05 17:12:32 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
Obviously not for afk mining, but if you spent 1000s of hours teaching people and writing guides, getting rich on the market, forming and leading a corp (leadership skills,etc.) don't you think it would be a waste not to mention this? Or is that just tooo sad? Shocked

Straight

What?

Smile

http://www.images22.com/pics/04/willem-dafoe-laughing.jpg