These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev blog: Ghastly Hotbed Of Spaceship Trauma - Ghost Sites in Rubicon

First post
Author
Turelus
Utassi Security
Second State
#81 - 2013-11-04 17:59:30 UTC
I shan't derail the thread any more and thank you for the replies that were given. Even with the complaints I am looking forward to Ghost Sites and player made implants (I hope for more implants in the future).

It might be worth seeing if the iteration to the hacking game can be looked at for Rubicon 1.1 however as Ghost Site's wont give you that second chance when you meet one of the impossible games it will instead just be over.

In regards to those failures do these containers damage you when you fail, or only when the sites timer runs out? (sorry if this was already addressed). As it's going to be more frustrating if you start losing ships over it as well.

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Kip Troger
System lords Collective
#82 - 2013-11-04 18:01:37 UTC
As a low sec dweller myself, I am usually poking around in a pvp fit vessel. Depending on how dangerous these sites end up being, it sounds like I will most likely not be able to do them if I happened to come across one.

It also sounds like the masses of herons and buzzards that come through fit for data/relic might also have some issues with the sites.

Which means, the most likely explorers to do these, will be the ones cruising around in the "do it all" cloaky tengus.

Currently, some sites do not allow tengus to enter the acceleration gates. Is there any restriction on what ship class can enter these sites? Will there be acceleration gates?
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#83 - 2013-11-04 18:02:06 UTC
CCP Bayesian wrote:
If you go out into Null with low skills chances are you'll never complete a can.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#84 - 2013-11-04 18:06:04 UTC
Fonac wrote:
Even though i'm probably never going to use these sites, it's always nice with new(and new) content!

On top of my head, one thing made my cringe abit, and is exactly why i dont want to touch these sites. - The new hacking system.
I like the minigame, i really do, i dont have any problems with -it- whatsoever.

However, i think putting hack/analyser modules in as a requirement in order to do these sites, a very very bad idea.
If you want to do any kind of exploration, and dont want to use a multi billion isk ship, you jump into a covert op.
This makes you very good at doing the hack sites, and useless at combat sites.
Vice versa, with pve fitted "dps" ships.
Someone is not going to do this with a normally fitted pve ship, which means you have to go back and get your covert op, this is a timesink, of more warping around.. this does not make it a better enjoyment - This is boring.
It's exactly the same problem the non-ded sites have, warping around for very little reward where you might get an escalation, or you may not, loot may drop, or it may not.
(yay for using 4-5 hours on a escalation chain, only to have it drop 3 meta 1 modules)


Also the double negative random factor of getting a site, doing a hack, which "might" drop something worthwhile. Sounds like an extremely random encounter.


As an explorer, who has done and used more time at exploration than what is healthy, i do not foresee this new content as being wildy used, and probably not hugely profitable, i know i wouldn't use any time on it. - And i love(well except certain exceptions) every aspect of the exploration game we have in eve.


But we'll see. And if i'm wrong i'll only be glad to be so.

That being said, i have one question for the devs doing content stuff. - When are you going to fix the current pve content that so desperately need a tune up?

For those interested, and have no clue on what i'm talking about... i'm refering to our current CSM Jester's blog.
http://jestertrek.blogspot.dk/2013/10/serpentis-prison-camp.html


Always carry a mobile depot with you so you can fit an analyzer when needed.

Think about what that mobile depot does for the explorer or mission runner. You can change your tank, or increase it at the expense of dps, in the middle of a mission. Or fit stabs if you need to leave, or swap salvagers for weapons when you are done, or fit tank rather than analyzers if you find a combat site.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Kellath Eladrel
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#85 - 2013-11-04 18:09:45 UTC
Morphisat wrote:
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Let's try not to derail things into a discussion about Hacking.


Well these new sites are based on a mechanic that is seriously flawed and also not fun at all. So it's not so strange people will bring this up. But I won't derail your thread any further.



That's just like, your opinion, man.

Five card stud, nothing wild, and the sky's the limit.

Adaahh Gee
Trust Doesn't Rust
Sev3rance
#86 - 2013-11-04 18:12:51 UTC
Can you please include one of the ingredients for building the implants as a corpse (or an item made from a reprocessing a corpse)

The it will make corpse collecting a career instead of a hobby!
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#87 - 2013-11-04 18:14:08 UTC
Mioelnir wrote:
Makoto Priano wrote:
yes. What the hell is a villard wheel, and is it something that can even be shattered?

There was a rookie tutorial mission that gave you a Perpetual Motion I bpc. To complete the mission, you needed to hand the agent a built tech 2 perpetual motion unit.

Instead of inventing the BPC and building the tech2 items, most rookies tried to manufacture the tech 1 items, which used the non-existent "villard wheel" items as production components.

It was the bane of all help channels. I think there is still a character called "Villard Wheel" with the mission walkthrough in his bio around; just so one could link the character.

Even better: Last years special edition items included a perpetual motion machine. And you could reprocess it and get... Thats right a Villard wheel!

In RL a Villard wheel is an "over balanced" wheel type of perpetual motion machine made by people who do not understand basic physics, think anything is possible, and with just a little more effort they will get it to work.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Mioelnir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#88 - 2013-11-04 18:27:25 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Mioelnir wrote:
Makoto Priano wrote:
yes. What the hell is a villard wheel, and is it something that can even be shattered?

There was a rookie tutorial mission that gave you a Perpetual Motion I bpc. To complete the mission, you needed to hand the agent a built tech 2 perpetual motion unit.

Instead of inventing the BPC and building the tech2 items, most rookies tried to manufacture the tech 1 items, which used the non-existent "villard wheel" items as production components.

It was the bane of all help channels. I think there is still a character called "Villard Wheel" with the mission walkthrough in his bio around; just so one could link the character.

Even better: Last years special edition items included a perpetual motion machine. And you could reprocess it and get... Thats right a Villard wheel!

In RL a Villard wheel is an "over balanced" wheel type of perpetual motion machine made by people who do not understand basic physics, think anything is possible, and with just a little more effort they will get it to work.

Free energy!
Matokin Lemant
#89 - 2013-11-04 18:29:58 UTC
I think the "Ascendancy" implant is rather week however....A warp speed bonus oh go no Roll

Granted it does have its uses in some circumstances, to me it just seems like another lets call it "buff" to the pvp side of things.

And OH if your interceptor was not over powered enough with the new buff/reblance...how about implanting your clone with a set of these babies and really make it scream Roll

The sights them selves sound fun but the implants/rewards leave me with a feeling of "meh"
Athena Maldoran
Doomheim
#90 - 2013-11-04 18:33:03 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
There is something Im not quite getting lore-wise.
If the empires are so concerned with these activities, why are they not placing bounties on the rats that show up? I understand you do not want people farming these sites, but:

They do not show up that often, so whatever is gained from farming will be small in the overall scheme of things.
You could make the bounties be smaller than usual, so farming would be less lucrative than other activities. All it would be is a consolation prize for blowing the site.

So please reconsider the "no bounty" plan, if for no other reason than lore consistency.


They do not want to encourage capsuleers to go to the sites - you are supposed to stay away, so why would they place a bounty on the heads of the pirates they never want you to meet?


WAIT, the pirates put the bounty on their own heads? common, thats just wrong. The bounty is from non pirate fation for shooting pirates and visa versa. Why would anyone put bounty on their own people?
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#91 - 2013-11-04 18:33:16 UTC
maybe you could make it so that the bomb also kills the pod in certain areas of space... ;)

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Berluth Luthian
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#92 - 2013-11-04 18:34:08 UTC
Matokin Lemant wrote:
I think the "Ascendancy" implant is rather week however....A warp speed bonus oh go no Roll

Granted it does have its uses in some circumstances, to me it just seems like another lets call it "buff" to the pvp side of things.

And OH if your interceptor was not over powered enough with the new buff/reblance...how about implanting your clone with a set of these babies and really make it scream Roll

The sights them selves sound fun but the implants/rewards leave me with a feeling of "meh"


Anyone shipping low volume, high value goods could make good use of the implant. It'll probably help freighter pilots also. The sites themselves are content for highsec dwellers, and could be some of the most lucrative finds in highsec exploration.
Orakkus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#93 - 2013-11-04 18:38:51 UTC
Berluth Luthian wrote:

Anyone shipping low volume, high value goods could make good use of the implant. It'll probably help freighter pilots also. The sites themselves are content for highsec dwellers, and could be some of the most lucrative finds in highsec exploration.


Agreed, this is both a buff to small gang PVP and to industry, I would think that just about every hauler and PVP pilot will have at least one of these stuck in his head on a permanent basis from now on.

He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander

Mioelnir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#94 - 2013-11-04 18:39:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Mioelnir
Berluth Luthian wrote:
It'll probably help freighter pilots also.

They will have to drop like flies to be viable for all but a handful of freighter pilots. And even then, they won't boost warp speed to where you could actually evade someone.
So you either get Ascendency implants for reduced afk travel time, which you don't care about since you are afk anyway. Or you will continue to stick with LG Nomads if you are willing to part with the ISK, since those actually decrease the subwarp time in which you are vulnerable (while flying manually).

Personally, I'll switch my monthly 1'296 freighter jumps from manual to "overnight delivery".
BugraT WarheaD
#95 - 2013-11-04 18:55:36 UTC
Man ... I'm F**king Loving it !!!!
Rio Bravo
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#96 - 2013-11-04 19:01:54 UTC
Sounds really exciting, can't wait to see it first hand!

When I first heard ghost sites I thought you were actually talking about the introduction of ghosts. Glad it was just a name. Please, in the future, never introduce ghosts, magic, or even aliens into EvE. I like that EvE is human, industrial, scientific, and mathematical. We can always play World of Warcraft or Minecraft if we want monsters.

“You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.”  - Clint Eastwood, misquote.

Winters Chill
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#97 - 2013-11-04 19:09:15 UTC
Make the Pirates the new SOE ships.

That is all.

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#98 - 2013-11-04 19:10:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
It strikes me that u no need those scanning skills and probe launchers. Super crazy secret places and they just pop in your scanner like the ice field.
Mara Tessidar
Perkone
Caldari State
#99 - 2013-11-04 19:10:57 UTC
Rio Bravo wrote:
We can always play World of Warcraft or Minecraft if we want monsters.


It's you. You are the monster in the night.
Orakkus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#100 - 2013-11-04 19:11:47 UTC
Mioelnir wrote:
They will have to drop like flies to be viable for all but a handful of freighter pilots. And even then, they won't boost warp speed to where you could actually evade someone.
So you either get Ascendency implants for reduced afk travel time, which you don't care about since you are afk anyway. Or you will continue to stick with LG Nomads if you are willing to part with the ISK, since those actually decrease the subwarp time in which you are vulnerable (while flying manually).

Personally, I'll switch my monthly 1'296 freighter jumps from manual to "overnight delivery".


Having tested this on Sisi, I would agree that for pilots who fly freighters exclusively, the benefit will be minimal. However, if they fly anything else hauler related.. then yeah.. its a sizeable boost. On Sisi, the only thing faster than a Blockade Runner was an Interceptor and given the speed and capabilities of both, these implants will be absolutely necessary for both.

The interesting thing will be how well it changes the DST.

He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander