These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

On grid and off grid

Author
Walker Ahashion
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2011-11-15 19:35:12 UTC
Hello,
I was flying around last night and I read on local that someone "was off grid" and then a few minutes later another said " WT is on the grid."
What does that mean, being on the grid and off the grid?
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#2 - 2011-11-15 19:58:45 UTC
Your grid is the range that things other than stargates and stations appear on your overview. For instance, you warp to an asteroid belt and no one is there but rocks, no one is on your grid, only the rocks. In your particular example, someone had a war target, WT, on their grid, presumably trying to violence him Twisted.

I believe the maximum range for the grid is 250 km.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#3 - 2011-11-15 20:50:52 UTC
Actually the grid is variable in size and even two grids can be next to each other but they can never overlap. You can even have a grid broken into two pieces so that when you go from one part of the grid to the other you have a dead zone in the middle. Manipulation of the grid in this way is called "Grid-Fu".

The Drake is a Lie

Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#4 - 2011-11-15 20:57:59 UTC
Seems I've got some more reading to do Lol.

Thanks for the info.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#5 - 2011-11-16 00:36:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
"Grid" is a player term for a pocket of space. You can only target ships "on grid" (in the same pocket of space).

CCP developers call it a "bubble", and everything in it (ships, drones, missiles, structures, etc.) is a "ball". Balls can only interact with other balls in the same bubble. Some data about what is happening in a bubble is available only to other balls in the same bubble (example: fleet watch list updates). You can find this language used on the test forum, or in some dev blogs.

Bubble means something completely different in player lingo: warp disruption field, or POS force field.
Walker Ahashion
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2011-11-16 17:59:23 UTC
Thanks for the replies, I guess I must have been on the other guys grid then, the guy said he would blow up my coercer unless i left the ship. I went into the egg shaped lifeboat and got off his grid.
Minister of Death
Colossus Enterprises
#7 - 2011-11-16 18:13:54 UTC
Walker Ahashion wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I guess I must have been on the other guys grid then, the guy said he would blow up my coercer unless i left the ship. I went into the egg shaped lifeboat and got off his grid.

1. that egg shaped lifeboat is your capsule.
2. nobody owns the grid
3. he stole your ship. next time, make him blow it up. then he will also have his ship blown up by Concord (assuming you are in high sec)

Jose Black
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2011-11-17 14:35:16 UTC
Minister of Death wrote:

3. he stole your ship. next time, make him blow it up. then he will also have his ship blown up by Concord (assuming you are in high sec)

You obviously missed the part about the war targets.
Minister of Death
Colossus Enterprises
#9 - 2011-11-17 19:00:07 UTC
Jose Black wrote:
Minister of Death wrote:

You obviously missed the part about the war targets.

mabye so. he said:
Walker Ahashion wrote:

and he is in npc corp, so iono wassup
Jack Tronic
borkedLabs
#10 - 2011-11-17 19:52:16 UTC
Kilrayn wrote:

I believe the maximum range for the grid is 250 km.

Nope, 1000 km grids are possible and are done by trolls in nullsec creating drag bubbles that far off gate hehehe
Quinc4623
Space Explorers Federation
#11 - 2011-11-18 06:16:12 UTC
Of course, in most situations you will only have to worry about objects on the same grid, and moving between grids will require warping. There are no many weapons or effects that reach 250 km, though they they do exist. You can warp between two points on the same grid, but only if somebody traveled over 100 km to drop a bookmark or object that far away. I think every object needs to be on a grid somewhere, however when you warp to a new NPC encounter you (from missions or exploration) you create a grid and often will see objects and enemies spawn as you arrive.
Othran
Route One
#12 - 2011-11-18 09:09:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
Assuming nobody is messing around with the grid (grid-fu) then the radius of the average grid is about 400km. Its rare to go off-grid below 350km and I've never gone off-grid at 300km unless the grid is being manipulated.

There are no grids "naturally" as small as 250km, if you go off grid at 250km it means the grid is "stretched" in the opposite direction, or the adjacent grid has been stretched towards that grid, effectively "squashing it".

ie as one grid get stretched then the adjacent grid you're stretching towards will get squashed.
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2011-11-18 09:51:06 UTC
Grozdan Boyadijev
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2011-11-18 13:34:54 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/0912/gridfumanual2.pdf

op should give this a read

To be fair, this manual is out of date (hence it being ~CLASSIFIED INFO~ within the manual) as of at least, I believe, Dominion, though most of it still holds true. The other thing is that some of the techniques described within may still be considered exploits by CCP. Play with the info at your own risk!