These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE ONLINE RESET - NEW SHARD

Author
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-10-31 20:15:56 UTC
Because building an exact duplicate of Tranquility hardware isn't at all expensive Roll

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Norian Lonark
Black Thorne Corporation
#42 - 2013-10-31 20:19:20 UTC
So many bad ideas today Shocked

Start wide, expand further, and never look back

Lazy Eagle
Capsuleer Outfitters
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#43 - 2013-10-31 20:23:09 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Lazy Eagle wrote:
I love it when people say "inb4l", kinda reminds me of the gas chamber challenge on SA, except NO ONE gets banned..........sad
Could you elaborate on that ?

Sounds interesting.

"Gas Chamber Challenge: When the Gas Chamber first debuted, people would say things like "OH, I BET THIS IS GOING TO THE GAS CHAMBER!". Lowtax (actually it was Captain Yams, but that's a different story) issued the Gas Chamber Challenge: if you say that a thread is going to the gas chamber, and it doesn't; you're banned. So then people said stupid things like "I WILL TAKE THE GAS CHAMBER CHALLENGE!". So the GCC was changed slightly: if you say anything close to "THIS THREAD IS GOING TO THE GAS CHAMBER! HAHAHAHA" you'll be banned." - Anotherone (best description)
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#44 - 2013-10-31 20:30:02 UTC
Though a PvP split was not suggested by the OP, it reminds me of Trammel & Felucca, which was the death of Ultima Online. It wasn't a slow lingering death either, but immediate.

The single shard nature of EVE is very important to its survival.
Lazy Eagle
Capsuleer Outfitters
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#45 - 2013-10-31 20:36:26 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Though a PvP split was not suggested by the OP, it reminds me of Trammel & Felucca, which was the death of Ultima Online. It wasn't a slow lingering death either, but immediate.

The single shard nature of EVE is very important to its survival.

Very much agreed.
Xavier Higdon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#46 - 2013-10-31 20:36:40 UTC
I've only been playing for a couple months, so a reset wouldn't effect me that much. I'd lose a few million SP, a few billion ISK and all the cool ships I can't fly. That isn't much in the grand scheme of things. And so, if there was a reset I'd be only a short amount of time from where I am now, and getting back would be easy. But I wouldn't get back. I'd stop playing. MMOs have to be persistent in order to succeed. Also, if you split the universe, you'll have the issue of large groups of players moving to the new server and taking it over. You think people whine about Sov holding groups now? Just see what happens when they take it all with nothing but rookie ships.
Lugalbandak
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-10-31 20:42:08 UTC
gonna say no , tidi is nice , peeps with less time are gonna seek small gang anyway , besides you see lots of empty space evrywhere.

you remind me of those guys in rl crying that their too many ppl on the earth while there is plenty of space to live its just poor management ( cities etc)

srry for the bad english

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Amhra Rho
Accujac Elimination
#48 - 2013-10-31 20:48:35 UTC
That nimrod whom I put a 700,000M isk bounty on? I'm making sure he doesn't get away to some parallel universe.

I'm voting negatory.

There's real reasons why your Eve character doesn't do /dance.

Khira Kitamatsu
#49 - 2013-10-31 21:41:01 UTC
No.

Ponies!  We need more ponies!

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#50 - 2013-10-31 22:04:39 UTC
Even if you set the "tech Level" of the game back, and made everyone (who chose to go to the other server) start from zero, you would:

1: Inherent all of the old (and much worse) problems that EVE had at that time.

2: Come to the realization that within a couple of months the same people would be doing the exact same things (and holding the same territory) that they do now... just in different ships. In fact, it would be the larger groups (that are now viewed as creating the current status quo) who would benefit the most due to their already superior organizational skills. Things would rapidly stagnate far more than they currently have.

Not to mention the whole "single shard universe" concept goes into the trash bin.

So no, I don't think it's a good idea... although I can see why it might appear so at first glance.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Thead Enco
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#51 - 2013-10-31 22:04:53 UTC
No, Get f****** hazed
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#52 - 2013-10-31 22:08:09 UTC
How would progodlegend hold back the evil cfcs without his supercap advantage

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#53 - 2013-10-31 22:41:35 UTC
0mnipotenceX wrote:
This is an idea that's probably been floated before:

Start a new instance of the Eve Online universe, reinstate the game as it was much closer to release.

Didn't we just talk about this here last week?

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Ginger Barbarella
#54 - 2013-10-31 22:44:57 UTC
0mnipotenceX wrote:
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
What you are looking for is called "test server"

Nope. Test server adds content.

I'm talking about going back to a simpler day. When 0.0 was actually wild. When all you needed was a handful of buddies to go have some fun.

Nothing is stopping you from creating your own, awesome, single-shard game universe!! Go for it! It would be awesome, I bet!

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2013-10-31 23:34:03 UTC
What you're feeling, OP, is called nostalgia. Most people feel it for real life activities, friends, and culture that were part of a different time in their lives, when they were different people than they've become now. You're feeling it for the early stages of a video game that could be shut down forever if some Vikings get drunk enough. Think about that.
Karrl Tian
Doomheim
#56 - 2013-10-31 23:46:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Karrl Tian
Or just shard Nullsec. Let them be free of the horrible oppression of their highsec PvE/Industry alts. P
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-10-31 23:55:11 UTC
Lady Naween wrote:
no. then we have a two shard universe and already lost what makes EVE so much fun.

Actually

Tranquility
|
|
Serenity <---Chinese server
Celestra Doxaila
MinTek Tactical Division
#58 - 2013-11-01 00:19:50 UTC
A lot of "nope" threads lately.
Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#59 - 2013-11-01 03:15:48 UTC
All the money and effort that would go into creating a brand new server would be much better spent improving EvE itself. The old-school server of EvE built up slowly, with the playerbase growing over time. If a brand new server was created today, you can expect a massive amount of the current EvE playerbase to create an account over there as well, and i'm pretty sure it would get slammed.

Besides, there are already loads of things we're waiting on CCP fixing, and they're already splitting their time between all the cosmetic things in Rubicon, Dust, this new Valkyrie game, and you'd want to add building a whole new server on top of that too? Shocked

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#60 - 2013-11-01 03:18:04 UTC
OP...

Please sit down, and be quiet.

This idea is dumb.

Adapt and deal, just like everyone else did.

Roll

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.