These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Nullsec Moon-Goo Distribution

Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#41 - 2013-10-31 10:35:01 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:
They're going to be around 10mill a piece. Not exactly mega expensive. I plan to get a blueprint and just mass-produce them. I've always been one of the "minerals are free" crowd. Big smile At that sorta price, i'd literally crap them out around null sec POS' just for lolz. Getting profit would be secondary! Cool

Becides, my idea would be to not hang around. You locate moon harvesting POS, slap out a bunch of siphons and move on to another system. Keep on going, finding more, marking them, slapping them out, moving on. You could swing back later and see how many made it, and how many didn't. I can see it being alot of fun, and a right pain for null sec Alliances. Most of null sec is empty anyway!

As i've said, the main issue is information. Information is power! Knowing where the best moon goo is located in new eden would go a long way to helping people looking to stick it to the Alliances.
So you'll basically throw isk away to boost random alliance KBs with structure kills? Fair enough.
You realise you won't be "sticking it" to anyone. They have like 100k ehp. You can solo that in a frigate.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#42 - 2013-10-31 10:41:49 UTC
Himnos Altar wrote:
A single Battleship *COULD* clear all the siphons, if they know that they're there. Again, this would require an actual patrol to see if there *are* any siphons. And during a time when the Alliance is deployed elsewhere (say, a sov fight, or lolwar), this might be a matter of minutes, hours, or days. This would also take time and manpower from the offensive front, or ratting/mining. I wonder if the average/line pilot Nuller would even be thinking about siphons at all.
I'd be very surprised if siphons were not announced like an attack on a POS. Even if they aren't though, the best moons get checked on often, even during war.
To understand how much of a non-issue they are by the way, a single destroyer can drop a siphon in under 3 minutes.

Himnos Altar wrote:
Also, if you drop siphons during their off-peak hours when there's almost nobody on, it's conceivable that you could get a full siphon cycle (4 hours). And since the siphon actually stays until it's destroyed, you can keep emptying the siphon as many times as you want, until either you or the siphon is destroyed.

Again, I'm not disputing that *if* the Alliance is keeping a close eye out, they can easily clear siphons, it's a matter of if the Alliance is keeping an eye out for siphons in the 4 hour period during which a particular Siphon (or group of Siphons) does their work.
Sure sure, but then again this is targeting the small alliances more than the larger ones. Larger alliances are likely to notice quicker and have a willing member to go take it out. I'll certainly be happy to go clear them around around my alliances space, I've got an alt for that.

Himnos Altar wrote:
If an Alliance has multiple reactions/moon miners in a system, it would take significantly less than an hour for a cloaky ship to deploy multiple siphons. And with a no-bubble T3, covert Cynos, it would be very hard to catch this phantom siphon fleet. I'm basing this on what's-his-face's presentation at EVE Vegas about how he rats with 2x Sins (IIRC),Covert bubble-proof T3.
Again though, that's fine, but it will take no time at all to destroy them all. If the goal of the siphons is to cause the null haters to throw away all of their isk, it'll be a massive success. But thinking it will have even a remotely noticeable impact on an alliance is just plain silly.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#43 - 2013-10-31 10:42:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Mara Rinn wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
But don't forget, each one has to be deployed for 4 hours to break even. And during that time, you can't stop someone shooting them or stealing from them.

Four hours of accumulated time.

If I deploy the siphon, leave it for a few cycles, then retrieve it and cloak up, then repeat this over and over again, I only need to get 4 hours of siphoning time to pay for the siphon. After that it's pure profit.

So what if I was to monitor intel channels, keep an eye on local, etc, and simply decloak & scoop the siphon any time a red enters system, then decloak & redeploy any time the system is empty?
You can't scoop a siphon. Once it's deployed, it there until it explodes.
And OK, sit monitoring a 2.4m/hour income source. You'd do better mining in high sec.

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#44 - 2013-10-31 11:55:55 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
So you'll basically throw isk away to boost random alliance KBs with structure kills? Fair enough.
You realise you won't be "sticking it" to anyone. They have like 100k ehp. You can solo that in a frigate.

No, the objective is obviously to get isk from the moon-goo. Sticking it to the Alliances is a bonus. I don't care about boosting their KBs with structure kills, and its hardly something to worry about considering once i've deployed them they're stuck there till destroyed, which will almost certainly be by the owner of the POS. Deploying a siphon anywhere is a gamble, assuming it isn't checked upon, you might be able to make some profit from them. Someone finds them, they take back what you took, blast them to hell and you lose. But, like i said, for 10mill a pop, thats a gamble i'm more than happy to make. Considering its a structure that doesn't fight back, you could solo it in an industrial, so i fail to see your point about a frigate. It's strength lies in it remaining undetected.

This is, of course, assuming that siphons don't generate a automatic report to the corp/alliance owner of the POS. If thats the case, it would make siphons completely useless imo. I'm yet to see anything official on that though, one way or the other.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2013-10-31 12:45:15 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

No, the objective is obviously to get isk from the moon-goo. Sticking it to the Alliances is a bonus. I don't care about boosting their KBs with structure kills, and its hardly something to worry about considering once i've deployed them they're stuck there till destroyed, which will almost certainly be by the owner of the POS. Deploying a siphon anywhere is a gamble, assuming it isn't checked upon, you might be able to make some profit from them. Someone finds them, they take back what you took, blast them to hell and you lose. But, like i said, for 10mill a pop, thats a gamble i'm more than happy to make. Considering its a structure that doesn't fight back, you could solo it in an industrial, so i fail to see your point about a frigate. It's strength lies in it remaining undetected.

This is, of course, assuming that siphons don't generate a automatic report to the corp/alliance owner of the POS. If thats the case, it would make siphons completely useless imo. I'm yet to see anything official on that though, one way or the other.

So you are just going to waltz back and forth through a pile of hostile systems in a blockade runner, and farm your stolen goo?

What could possibly go wrong
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#46 - 2013-10-31 13:15:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Xen Solarus wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Well my point is that you won't go undetected. You want to target big alliances, the people that have the ability and the inclination to be checking on their moon goo processing quite often.
Sure, if you find a half dead low sec alliance with a couple of moons pumping out their materials, you might get a bit of isk, but it will be nothing compared to what you could get if you put the same amount of effort into literally any other task.
The point with the frigate is to show how ridiculously easy they are to kill. You won't need a fleet or special ships to destroy them, so the people that will find it easiest to get rid of them are the alliances with the larger numbers.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#47 - 2013-10-31 13:25:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Lucas Kell wrote:
Xen Solarus wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Well my point is that you won't go undetected. You want to target big alliances, the people that have the ability and the inclination to be checking on their moon goo processing quite often.
Sure, if you find a half dead low sec alliance with a couple of moons pumping out their materials, you might get a bit of isk, but it will be nothing compared to what you could get if you put the same amount of effort into literally any other task.
The point with the frigate is to show how ridiculously easy they are to kill. You won't need a fleet or special ships to destroy them, so the people that will find it easiest to get rid of them are the alliances with the larger numbers.

Newbies checking for siphons and reporting in a "report siphons here" part of our evil out of game jabber.

You'd be surprised, newbies can be very capable. Also cute. :shobon:

The bigger problem is wait, you're letting everyone know about our towers? One possibilityl way to to only add to a list of checkables after it's been siphoned several times, since clearly it's already known about. ccp helpfully made siphons possibly so much of a loss factor in peace that it's worth while getting the siphons off.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#48 - 2013-10-31 13:26:39 UTC
Onictus wrote:
Xen Solarus wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

So you are just going to waltz back and forth through a pile of hostile systems in a blockade runner, and farm your stolen goo?

:v:

Certainly not a cloaked dictor just off the siphon.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-10-31 13:31:18 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Onictus wrote:
Xen Solarus wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Neva
Solaris Ecladia
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2013-10-31 13:45:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Solaris Ecladia
90% of the high end moons dont have guns or warp scram batteries. They just have hardeners.
90% of the low end moons dont have anything at all.
If you run out of room in one just drop like 6 of them on there on 5 different moons.

I see no issues here.
Xen Solarus
#51 - 2013-10-31 15:16:12 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Onictus wrote:

I pop out of the wormhole into null sec all the time. The most common occurrence is emptiness. System after system, all empty of players. There's that thing called "local" that you guys have that tells me when you're around. Lol So camping the siphons would be kinda obvious.

Lucas Kell wrote:

Well, i'm certainly going to try! From my days living in null sec we were pretty good at responding to hostiles, and intel was always vital in being able to track them down. Though this was before wormholes existed, so i'm not sure how Alliances have adapted to people potentially appearing anywhere in their space. From the other perspective as the invader, i've experienced some frightening response times to my presence, but then that might just be bad luck on my part, or an exceptional Alliance. On other times, I've had complete free reign in their space, completely left to my own devices.

It's true that i could get loads more isk doing loads of other tasks, but then the same could be said for loads of things people do in EvE, including PvP. But PvP is much for fun than running guristas extravaganza for the millionth time, so profit be damned! These siphon things seem to bridge the gap between PvP and profit quite nicely, and could be a good generator for some fights! And i must admit it makes me chuckle to think of the null sec Alliances being forced to manually check all their moon-goo POS' constantly.

Cause, you know, i might be there, with some siphons, stealing your goo! Cool

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#52 - 2013-10-31 15:23:49 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:
It's true that i could get loads more isk doing loads of other tasks, but then the same could be said for loads of things people do in EvE, including PvP. But PvP is much for fun than running guristas extravaganza for the millionth time, so profit be damned! These siphon things seem to bridge the gap between PvP and profit quite nicely, and could be a good generator for some fights! And i must admit it makes me chuckle to think of the null sec Alliances being forced to manually check all their moon-goo POS' constantly.

How will it generate fights? It's you in a cloaky vs a POS towers guns and whoever is shooting your siphon. That's not a fight, that's suicide. Now if these could operate from outside a POS gun's range, this would be a different matter.

Xen Solarus
#53 - 2013-10-31 15:29:39 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Xen Solarus wrote:

How will it generate fights? It's you in a cloaky vs a POS towers guns and whoever is shooting your siphon. That's not a fight, that's suicide. Now if these could operate from outside a POS gun's range, this would be a different matter.

I've got some idea's, though obviously i'd rather not post them in here. Cool

TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2013-10-31 15:32:49 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Xen Solarus wrote:

If some corporation is dedicated enough and is putting Siphons on your POS's over and over and over and over again, maybe to the point where the moon becomes completely unprofitable, I imagine some sparks will start flying. Either that or the owning corp gives in and takes the POS down.

OR big alliances will actually make an effort to regularly scan for siphons, meaning a regular presence in all of their systems, meaning they are spread thin, meaning easier/smaller fights elsewhere in their territory.

One way or another these things will have an impact on the way null sec alliances manage their space and their moons, which is entirely the point.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#55 - 2013-10-31 15:40:30 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
If some corporation is dedicated enough and is putting Siphons on your POS's over and over and over and over again, maybe to the point where the moon becomes completely unprofitable, I imagine some sparks will start flying. Either that or the owning corp gives in and takes the POS down.

OR big alliances will actually make an effort to regularly scan for siphons, meaning a regular presence in all of their systems, meaning they are spread thin, meaning easier/smaller fights elsewhere in their territory.

Or people will just log off a trial alt at every POS and log in on it for 15 seconds every hour to check for siphons.
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#56 - 2013-10-31 15:44:07 UTC
There's one fair point raised a lot in the other siphon threads and this: profit.

You can only profit from the siphoned goo if you load it up on a boat and smuggle out. Now, moongoo has quite the volume, especially in the more raw forms. You sure as balls won't be running off with billions in cargo for nothing.

Now the other point is, if you're not profiting from a siphon but it's blasted to bits - or you lose the hauler in the process, you're still stealing from THE MAN and sticking it to him, right? Well - not exactly. With The Man being the main provider of goo, any goo destroyed, lost or otherwise not making it to the market (talking big volumes) will contribute to said goo becoming a bottleneck due to supply shortages.

Shortage will raise prices and The Man will just sell his goo for more money: costing you the siphon and the price of everything T2 you buy. So by trying to stick it to The Man on your personal little anarchy quest, you'll actually make him benefit.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#57 - 2013-10-31 16:00:13 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:

Or people will just log off a trial alt at every POS and log in on it for 15 seconds every hour to check for siphons.

Probably not a trial alt, but a pos-gunning trained cyno alt in each system maybe.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#58 - 2013-10-31 16:01:53 UTC
If this siphoning mechanic truly becomes an issue with the null sec cartels, which I strongly doubt it will, they will simply create a program to gain near real-time intel on every system that contains high end moons.

1. Put a cloaked char in the system, close to the POS, or even at the POS.
2. Run a screen scrape at some designated interval of that char's overview that only shows siphons.
3. Feed that into a program and sends out a flag when a siphon shows up.
4. Flag is picked up by a human, who co-ordinates sending out a pilot to kill the siphon.

Groups like the goons have the coding expertise, the 24 hour time zone coverage, the critical mass of pilots, and the discipline to enforce new pilots have to patrol, to counter any serious loss of moon goo.

Now, the smaller groups, they are screwed.
Once again, CCP has created a mechanism squarely aimed at hurting smaller entities, while the larger entities just shrug it off.

People seem to miss out on basic economics here.
If the goons' production is impacted at a lesser rate than the overall moon-goo production is impacted, then goons win.
Their percentage share of the overall production will go up if that condition is met. Plus, given if demand stays constant, while overall supply drops, prices go up per unit, and they have less hauling costs incurred for the same ISK.

It is almost like a goon designed the mechanism.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#59 - 2013-10-31 16:37:37 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
If this siphoning mechanic truly becomes an issue with the null sec cartels, which I strongly doubt it will, they will simply create a program to gain near real-time intel on every system that contains high end moons.

2. Run a screen scrape at some designated interval of that char's overview that only shows siphons.
4. Flag is picked up by a human, who co-ordinates sending out a pilot to kill the siphon.

Groups like the goons have the coding expertise, the 24 hour time zone coverage, the critical mass of pilots, and the discipline to enforce new pilots have to patrol, to counter any serious loss of moon goo.

Once again, CCP has created a mechanism squarely aimed at hurting smaller entities, while the larger entities just shrug it off.

If the goons' production is impacted at a lesser rate than the overall moon-goo production is impacted, then goons win.
Their percentage share of the overall production will go up if that condition is met. Plus, given if demand stays constant, while overall supply drops, prices go up per unit, and they have less hauling costs incurred for the same ISK.

Crap, how does this guy do it, no one is supposed to know the things that are talked about at the weekly Goon/CCP summit meetings, that's why they are held at Jimmy Hoffa's house in the room used to fake the moon landings, for maximum security. Goons better call their CIa handlers and get that meeting moved somewhere more secure.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#60 - 2013-10-31 16:42:11 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

Crap, how does this guy do it, no one is supposed to know the things that are talked about at the weekly Goon/CCP summit meetings, that's why they are held at Jimmy Hoffa's house in the room used to fake the moon landings, for maximum security. Goons better call their CIa handlers and get that meeting moved somewhere more secure.
the scary part? goons are saying the exact same thing. "we will be able to abuse this to ridiculous advantage". i reckon dinsdale is right on this one, jenn