These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fellow Motorcyclists - What Do You Ride?

Author
Rhatar Khurin
Doomheim
#21 - 2013-10-29 17:09:11 UTC
You may have noticed i posted a piccy of an old Honda C90 bike The reason i rode this was because i used to deliver pizzas for a very well known company.

I can tell you that all the other drivers and myself included did not in any way boost other road-users perception of the biker (or pizza delivery peeps too i imagine) we were reckless lunatics for the most part. AFAIK all of the scooter drivers had gotten speeding fines (impressive on a bike that does about 55mph max) we cut through traffic and although wearing high-vis jackets and pants were generally a menace to otehr road users.

Sorry about that.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2013-10-29 17:55:10 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-10-29 20:12:14 UTC
Today I found out the fuel jets on my Harley are too big... went to rev it and flooded the engine Pirate

Here is an artist's rendition of me on my Harley

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#24 - 2013-10-29 21:47:17 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Today I found out the fuel jets on my Harley are too big... went to rev it and flooded the engine Pirate

Here is an artist's rendition of me on my Harley

LOL

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#25 - 2013-10-30 00:21:56 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
Motorcycle season ends when it's cold enough to drain your battery...

Push starting my 650lb FJR was not enjoyable after work today in order to go home.

push starting is not too bad, just put it in 2nd gear, pull the clutch, then run as fast as you can, jump on it and then release the clutch whie hitting start. yes I've done that quite a few times Roll

still remember that one time I had to go to a job interview in may after a couple of months of snow and my bike wouldnt start(crap crap crap) well it would start, but just not completely. Figured battery was a bit low so push started it like that 4-5 times in a row. still no go, so while I was sitting on my bike a moment catching my breath(hey, you try getting 230 kg of motorcycle moving as fast as you can) I was staring at the choke lever thinking to myself "Hmm, wasnt i supposed to pull that back to start"

so I pulled it back and what do you know, it started like a charm >.< not my finest moment
Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#26 - 2013-10-30 00:32:46 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
I believe the exact term is "donorcycles".

My license has the little donor heart on it. Generally a wise thing to do when you get a motorcycle, as no matter how safe or careful you may be, there's always some teenage cager too busy texting a friend or paying Farmville to pay attention to their surroundings. Hopefully they're on a different road than you, but often they aren't.

Hell, from the picture I posted, you can see I'm on a pretty large bike and am a bright yellow obnoxious bumblebee. While the hi-viz gear has definitely helped a number of times (and thus I swear by it as those are times that the danger was averted before it occurred), I've still had people try to merge into me, cut me off, slam on the brakes ahead of me (yay, ABS!), tailgate me, etc. While I may be a safe and responsible rider, I still worry about all those people around me who are not.

yeah, and now there are new and improved cars with a crap load of sensors so you have to pay even less attention to your surroundings, brilliant isn't it! AND theye are intergrating social media into the satnav, what can possibly go wrong!

Anyway I found that when I drive "nice" or however you want to call it(obey speed limit, dont move to the front of the not moving row of cars at intersections and such) people cut me off, merge into me and all that crap a lot more then when I speed a little(just 5 to 10 km/h faster then the rest) move to the front of the row and such, people notice me a lot more, and even give me space to do so! Still, I always asume that all car drivers are out to kill me
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2013-10-30 00:34:14 UTC
Mudkest wrote:
MyEveLotto wrote:
I believe the exact term is "donorcycles".

My license has the little donor heart on it. Generally a wise thing to do when you get a motorcycle, as no matter how safe or careful you may be, there's always some teenage cager too busy texting a friend or paying Farmville to pay attention to their surroundings. Hopefully they're on a different road than you, but often they aren't.

Hell, from the picture I posted, you can see I'm on a pretty large bike and am a bright yellow obnoxious bumblebee. While the hi-viz gear has definitely helped a number of times (and thus I swear by it as those are times that the danger was averted before it occurred), I've still had people try to merge into me, cut me off, slam on the brakes ahead of me (yay, ABS!), tailgate me, etc. While I may be a safe and responsible rider, I still worry about all those people around me who are not.

yeah, and now there are new and improved cars with a crap load of sensors so you have to pay even less attention to your surroundings, brilliant isn't it! AND theye are intergrating social media into the satnav, what can possibly go wrong!

Anyway I found that when I drive "nice" or however you want to call it(obey speed limit, dont move to the front of the not moving row of cars at intersections and such) people cut me off, merge into me and all that crap a lot more then when I speed a little(just 5 to 10 km/h faster then the rest) move to the front of the row and such, people notice me a lot more, and even give me space to do so! Still, I always asume that all car drivers are out to kill me

My bike sets off sensitive car alarms... I like being as noticeable as possible

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#28 - 2013-10-30 00:56:37 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
This following is not a slight on riders in this thread as I used to be a rider as well. That being said I just have a hard time swallowing all the biker rhetoric about it being all the drivers of cars and trucks that are to blame for the high rate of injury in the motorcycle rider population.

My biggest problem with a number of motorcyclists is that they always put the responsibility on the 'other' driver. I am not saying all bikers are bad riders or that all drivers are good drivers; but the fact is motorcycles are very small vehicles and are very easy to lose site of; or never have site of if the rider is going excessively fast.

I've been in more near-accidents then Id like, and most of them WERE caused by the other driver.
For example blonde bimbo looking to the right cause she was talking to the person next to her, deciding to move a lane to the left(where I was driving) casue of a truck in front of her, all the while keeping her head turned to the right busy in converstaion... there are a lot of drivers who dont turn their heads when chancing lanes to see if there is anything next to them. one time I even was myself between teh driver and the front wheel of the car when I saw that cars front wheel turning and the car chancing lane...

but then I also do see the donorcyclists on the road who apearantly are unbreakable(why else would you drive at 5 meteres distance behind a truck)

Slade Trillgon wrote:
On the water smaller boats must always yield way to larger boats for one very obvious reason, mobility. The same mentality should be taught to all riders in training school. I say this as every time I see a biker advance through traffic it is they who are putting themselves in harms way, which is compounded by the potential distracted state of the drivers they pass. The recreational bikers that follow traffic laws, respect the speed limit, and generally ride in a hyper conservative manner are significantly safer then those that pass everyone on the road and have significantly lower incidence of death due to MV accidents.

sadly, like I already said in my previous post, that is not my experience. The biggest mentality problem I see, is people are not willing to wait even 5 seconds, theye rather block an intersection for a minute instead of waiting 10 seconds and keeping the intersection clear for the rest of the traffic. theye rather merge before that 1 car, making everyone behind them wait then merge behind it and actualy keep moving. Traffic jam on a round about? good luck if you have to cut in on that.

Good thing we are not talking abotu trains here, with all the derailing going on Lol
Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#29 - 2013-10-30 01:08:11 UTC
anyway here's 2 pics

http://i.imgur.com/hV4hqK9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bwG3tlQ.jpg

exhaust pipes are black these days though(not form dirt, but spray painted)
MyEveLotto
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-10-30 03:46:11 UTC
Mudkest wrote:
push starting is not too bad, just put it in 2nd gear, pull the clutch, then run as fast as you can, jump on it and then release the clutch whie hitting start. yes I've done that quite a few times Roll

Yeah. It's not the first time I've push started it. The real annoyance was the whole "650lbs and slight uphill incline" thing. That's 295 in kg. Heavy bike. Sad

myEVElotto.com - The New Public Lottery Site

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2013-10-30 05:29:25 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
Mudkest wrote:

Yeah. It's not the first time I've push started it. The real annoyance was the whole "650lbs and slight uphill incline" thing. That's 295 in kg. Heavy bike. Sad

Yeah, mine weighs in at 700lbs (that's 317.514659kg)... that's from extra shiny metal stuffs covering other stuff that's not metal. Also the monster 1600cc engine with the lengthened pistons because I'm a guy and I learned you can totally do that Big smile

Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#32 - 2013-10-30 11:13:51 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
Mudkest wrote:

guess you were at the bottom of the incline then. But there was no other direction to go to push start it?
MyEveLotto
Doomheim
#33 - 2013-10-30 12:40:50 UTC
Mudkest wrote:
MyEveLotto wrote:
Mudkest wrote:

guess you were at the bottom of the incline then. But there was no other direction to go to push start it?

Sadly, no. Parking lot. Was at one end of it, with a wall in one direction, wall in the other direction, curb in the other direction and open area in the slightly uphill direction.

Ended up having to run upstairs and get a riding coworker of mine to help push. What?

Nice, Surfin. That's one hell of an engine. Mine's 1300cc, but split across 4 cylinders.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2013-10-30 19:23:43 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
Mudkest wrote:
MyEveLotto wrote:
Mudkest wrote:

Sadly, no. Parking lot. Was at one end of it, with a wall in one direction, wall in the other direction, curb in the other direction and open area in the slightly uphill direction.

Ended up having to run upstairs and get a riding coworker of mine to help push. What?

Nice, Surfin. That's one hell of an engine. Mine's 1300cc, but split across 4 cylinders.

I have to refuel every 60 miles Pirate

Hell of a lot of torque though

MyEveLotto
Doomheim
#35 - 2013-10-30 19:27:48 UTC
heh That's where I win out, then. 6.6 gallon tank. Gets about 250 miles to the tank.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2013-10-30 20:39:53 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:
heh That's where I win out, then. 6.6 gallon tank. Gets about 250 miles to the tank.

Mine's only around 3 gallons.... so I'd get about half that Big smile

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#37 - 2013-10-30 21:45:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Mudkest wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:
This following is not a slight on riders in this thread as I used to be a rider as well. That being said I just have a hard time swallowing all the biker rhetoric about it being all the drivers of cars and trucks that are to blame for the high rate of injury in the motorcycle rider population.

My biggest problem with a number of motorcyclists is that they always put the responsibility on the 'other' driver. I am not saying all bikers are bad riders or that all drivers are good drivers; but the fact is motorcycles are very small vehicles and are very easy to lose site of; or never have site of if the rider is going excessively fast.

I've been in more near-accidents then Id like, and most of them WERE caused by the other driver.
For example blonde bimbo looking to the right cause she was talking to the person next to her, deciding to move a lane to the left(where I was driving) casue of a truck in front of her, all the while keeping her head turned to the right busy in converstaion... there are a lot of drivers who dont turn their heads when chancing lanes to see if there is anything next to them. one time I even was myself between teh driver and the front wheel of the car when I saw that cars front wheel turning and the car chancing lane...

but then I also do see the donorcyclists on the road who apearantly are unbreakable(why else would you drive at 5 meteres distance behind a truck)

Many times I have turned my head to check and see if a lane was clear and start to merge and then all of a sudden a biker is speeding by. The point is that everyone needs to open their eyes and pay more attention to their surroundings when driving a motor vehicle. The smaller and less protected your vehicle is the more prudent it is that 'you' maintain plenty of distance between you and other vehicles. I will also say this happens with cars as well.

As for the blond bimbo it would not have mattered if you were on a bike, in a car, or a Mac truck, she could have hurt you and others severely. The fact that you were in a bike could possibly have saved you as you were a much smaller 'target', with superior maneuverability, and were aware of your surroundings. If you had been ion a mac truck things would have probably been much much different.

We can go all day refuting each others personal experiences, but at the end of the day everyone needs a hefty dose of caution when sitting behind a weaponerrr I mean motor vehicle, no matter the size of said vehicle.

"Motorcyclist fatalities in the United States more than doubled in the 11 years from 1997 to 2008
(Figure 1). The substantial decrease in 2009 brought momentary hope that this deadly trend
had been broken. But motorcyclist fatalities increased again in 2010 and 2011. In comparison,
passenger vehicle fatalities decreased by 9% over these two years. In 2011, 14% of all traffic
fatalities were motorcyclists"

The above numbers are probably attributed to two different things. One being what bikers like to point out which is the increase in the number of drivers that are distracted by technology or other non car related interactions. The second reason I believe can be attributed to the massive increase of younger, hot blooded and non risk adverse males.

Post for point number two <--- This was posted on the old EvE-O forums.

Bad rap for bikers everywhere

Link for some humour since I am a stinking downerLol

To balance things out a bit to show I am not biasedShocked<--- If you really need footage of bad car drivers Lol
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2013-10-30 23:39:48 UTC
MyEveLotto wrote:

I'm going to beat you!!!!

I'm getting saddlebags so I can load them up with theseCool

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#39 - 2013-10-31 03:29:22 UTC
the origin of the repsol:

without any riding experience, there I was with my friends on a summer day in 2006 and the plan was to go for a group ride around los angeles. the repsol was practically new and one of two that belonged to one of my friends. I didn't ask to do it, I swear. I got on the 1000cc CBR and we did some practice loops in a school parking lot on my block, and headed to a cafe. I was last to park, and as my buddy mentioned he would sell it before it devalued after a full season, I tipped it onto its right side while dismounting. all I said was ,"sold!" I consider it one of those things that pushed me outside my comfort zone--if it wasn't for that mishap, I definitely would not have become the owner of a street bike. ever. I was 24, and had just purchased a new mustang GT, and with the addition of the flashy Repsol my image and self-image was completely over-the-top, and I liked it. the car and the bike happened in the same period that I began dating my future wife--a tall, leggy, 18 yr old bombshell. I even rode the Repsol to my wedding at Caesar's Palace. yeah. I've never considered my personal growth in the context of that motorcycle, but now that I am I see it was definitely a catalyst for a lifestyle overhaul that I experienced. one of those small things that I couldn't do on purpose if I tried. and after having a taste of that image, it's impossible to go back. especially because I never got injured.

I think I'll take it to school next week. I'd better hurry before it gets too cold.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#40 - 2013-10-31 03:29:50 UTC