These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Why would it be a bad thing to be able to train all characters at the same time?

Author
DICKPOWERS
Apotheosis.
#1 - 2011-11-18 01:26:09 UTC
I can think of lots of reasons I would want to be able to train all my characters at the same time, but I can't really think of why it is so bad that it is not allowed.
I'm sure there's an obvious and important reason, so what is it?

DP
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#2 - 2011-11-18 01:27:01 UTC
DICKPOWERS wrote:
I can think of lots of reasons I would want to be able to train all my characters at the same time, but I can't really think of why it is so bad that it is not allowed.

DP

classic timesink?
Dbars Grinding
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-11-18 01:47:36 UTC
Do you know how many subs CCP would lose? DO YOU!?!? I do wish i didn't need so many accounts, fkin plex prices.

I have more space likes than you. 

Arthur Frayn
V.O.F.L IRON CORE
#4 - 2011-11-18 01:50:09 UTC
Dbars Grinding wrote:
Do you know how many subs CCP would lose? DO YOU!?!? I do wish i didn't need so many accounts, fkin plex prices.

Wait, you mean most players don't use alts to dual box?? Shocked
DICKPOWERS
Apotheosis.
#5 - 2011-11-18 01:51:43 UTC
Dbars Grinding wrote:

I have two accounts so I can log in and play two characters at the same time.
I don't see why I would unsub an account if I could train my alts...
Vigdis Thorisdottir
Doomheim
#6 - 2011-11-18 02:25:23 UTC
This is Eve. You don't get nice things.
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#7 - 2011-11-18 02:29:22 UTC
DICKPOWERS wrote:

DP

1. obvious revenue loss
2. people would create/farm/sell chars flooding the market
ThisIsntMyMain
Doomheim
#8 - 2011-11-18 02:32:23 UTC
You can train as many characters at the same time as you wish.

The fee is $15 per character training.

You get 2 free characters with every character you pay for.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#9 - 2011-11-18 02:36:19 UTC
DICKPOWERS wrote:
but I can't really think of why it is so bad that it is not allowed.
Because it would make it pretty much mandatory requirement to have two alts, rather than an benefit you have to pay for.
DICKPOWERS
Apotheosis.
#10 - 2011-11-18 02:38:27 UTC
k, good points
I understand better now, thanks for the replies

DP
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#11 - 2011-11-18 02:47:34 UTC
ThisIsntMyMain wrote:
You can train as many characters at the same time as you wish.

The fee is $15 per character training.

You get 2 free characters with every character you pay for.

This.

Many people have some training characters for dualboxing and some that just need to be training/aren't worth pausing another character to train, but don't provide a benefit from being able to log in at the same time. (Otherwise why would you be asking to train extra toons?)

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Ai Shun
#12 - 2011-11-18 04:02:07 UTC
If I may ...

If the rate of training is converted to a percentage, what if you were allowed to spit that percentage in terms of training between the three characters you can have per account?

That way, you can train your main pilot at 70% of the speed and two others at 15% each. Granted, it will be slow. And it will lose an additional account or two in terms of revenue for CCP.

So yeah. Forget that. It seemed like a good idea while I was typing it, but I wouldn't want them to lose revenue.
Azahni Vah'nos
Vah'nos Family
#13 - 2011-11-18 04:14:32 UTC
Like the sayng goes "You can't ride two horses with only one arse".

You progress with one character at a time in EVE, just like any other major MMO on the market. I'm not sure why you believe that should be different in EVE just because of the way character progression is setup.

Also CCP would lose money for no good reason that I can see. Additionally as someone else said the Bazaar would be flooded with characters for sale, not something the game needs.

Nex (Cash Shop) / Aurum - removing sand from the sandbox since Incarna. Currently the only use for aurum is to buy virtual items in the in-game store, but Cockerill expects to expand its uses in the future.

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#14 - 2011-11-18 04:14:43 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
If I may ...

If the rate of training is converted to a percentage, what if you were allowed to spit that percentage in terms of training between the three characters you can have per account?

That way, you can train your main pilot at 70% of the speed and two others at 15% each. Granted, it will be slow. And it will lose an additional account or two in terms of revenue for CCP.

So yeah. Forget that. It seemed like a good idea while I was typing it, but I wouldn't want them to lose revenue.

You can do that already. Every x days pause training and switch to the next character.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Ai Shun
#15 - 2011-11-21 04:10:41 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
You can do that already. Every x days pause training and switch to the next character.

True; I'm too forgetful / lazy / busy to micromanage to that degree. It's easier to just whack another account on and use EVEMon when I need to change something Big smile
Apollo Gabriel
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#16 - 2011-11-21 04:21:25 UTC
People would essentially farm out alts, which would be the issue people are concerned with most I suspect.
Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
Amro One
One.
#17 - 2011-11-21 04:35:18 UTC
Theres this place called Character Baazar.
Alara IonStorm
#18 - 2011-11-21 04:55:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Amro One wrote:

This.

Alara at 17.5mil SP is currently worth about 4 Billion

If training on multiple accounts were allowed it would cost me $15 each to move my two other Characters to new accounts and sell them.

Kinda makes Plex seem like a joke.
Ai Shun
#19 - 2011-11-21 05:40:21 UTC
Amro One wrote:

I'm not arguing for the thread at the moment; but the Character Bazaar is one of two things that I really, really dislike about EVE.

1. Flying with a pilot you did not train seems wrong to me. Yes, you may have experience in other areas but that isn't your character. I don't have a logical reason for disliking this, I just do.

2. PLEX. It is a shortcut to ISK and seems too much like a cheat-code for Doom.

flank steak
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#20 - 2011-11-21 05:48:05 UTC
Whenever you sign your posts with "DP" I cant help but think i have somehow been double penetrated by reading this
12Next page