These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A Hotfix is needed to halt RMT via PLEX

First post
Author
Evelgrivion
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-10-28 09:12:03 UTC
The rabbit is out of the hat. If you've ever wondered why so many frigates full of PLEX have been destroyed over the years in systems like Jita, we have our answer; they are involved in the practice of Real Money Trade.

Exploiting a weakness in the End User License Agreement and an apparent bypass of CCP's security audits, players have been hiding their illicit trade by selling PLEXes on Ebay, burying the items inside of containers and ships, and then conducting their business - either by ejecting from the ship full of PLEX and allowing it to be boarded by the buyer, or, simply, by trading that frigate with a container full of PLEX in station. This practice does not appear to create any automated red-flags.

An immediate fix is available. The PLEX item must not be capable of being placed inside of containers, whether they're cans or cargo holds. This change would allow players to continue buying and selling PLEX in the open market, and continue to trade them with contracts.

CCP's credibility is at stake; as it is within their power to do so, these real money trades must be halted immediately. Players must not be able to place PLEX into containers, or into ships.
Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#2 - 2013-10-28 09:18:57 UTC
That would remove 90% of the incentive for ganking frieghters in and around jita.

oh and IB4L

I like Battleships.

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#3 - 2013-10-28 09:23:41 UTC
Implying people ever thought that 60+ plex in a frigate was anything legit happening.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-10-28 09:24:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Why should we take a step backwards ?`

CCP made PLEX moveable intentionally.

CCPs credibility is fine. There's no issue at all.
Everybody can make money just like Somer does.

CCP has crossed the rubicon with this.
Oooohhhhh what a coincidence.

Edit: He said RMT, therefore i say Somer.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2013-10-28 09:28:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
It takes a pretty special individual to believe that "frigates stuffed with plex dying in jita" would be used to cover up an RMT scheme, especially with accounts pulled by public killboards. Especially when you have a 50/50 chance of it disappearing into thin air.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Evelgrivion
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-10-28 09:36:19 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Why should we take a step backwards ?`

CCP made PLEX moveable intentionally.

CCPs credibility is fine. There's no issue at all.
Everybody can make money just like Somer does.

CCP has crossed the rubicon with this.
Oooohhhhh what a coincidence.

Edit: He said RMT, therefore i say Somer.

I can't say I'm too enthralled with the prospect of a single shard world equivalent of the Diablo 3 auction house.

Maybe I'm completely off my rocker, but the claims of RMT via PLEX scare me. I dream of a cruel, harsh world of EVE governed by the single common currency of game time and what players do with it. That dream of limitless possibilities does not work well if players find a way to cash out on the experience. EVE is supposed to be forever.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2013-10-28 09:37:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Andski wrote:
It takes a pretty special individual to believe that "frigates stuffed with plex dying in jita" would be used to cover up an RMT scheme, especially with accounts pulled by public killboards. Especially when you have a 50/50 chance of it disappearing into thin air.
Relevant. ^_^

Oh my, i'm starting to love this meme stuff.
I'm only years behind. ^_^
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#8 - 2013-10-28 09:50:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
If people will manage to buy PLEX with easy ISK, and sell it for real moniez, cheaper than CCP do, we would have rise in the ISK prices of the dwindling amounts of PLEX, because more people will buy it from the RMTraders, so the PLEX will rise in ISK price, until it can be bought only by those who have so much ISK they dont need it. There are powers in EVE that have this ISK.

I remember when the faction warfare LP was so easy, it made PLEX prices rise, CCP reacted too late, they are lazy, expect to see PLEX prices rise faster.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-10-28 10:00:04 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
If people will manage to buy PLEX with easy ISK, and sell it for real moniez, cheaper than CCP do, we would have rise in the prices of the PLEX, because more people will buy it from the RMTraders, so the PLEX will rise in ISK price, until it can be bought only by those who have so much ISK they dont need it. There are powers in EVE that have this ISK.

I remember when the faction warfare LP was so easy, it made PLEX prices rise, CCP reacted too late, they are lazy, expect to see PLEX prices rise faster.
I am confused by your weird logic.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-10-28 10:00:14 UTC
- somebody (mister X) gives me RL money
- i buy some amount of Tritanium
- then i put it into freighter
- then i eject from this ship in space
- mister X boards ship
- mister X sells the ship and the minerals from cargohold

result: RMT.
And the same can be done with anything in the Eve Online. PLEX just makes it easier to move big amounts of ISK. But it's totally possible to find other options (like +5/+6 implants of whatever)

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#11 - 2013-10-28 10:07:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Ok, I have edited it to be more clear, It is about people wanting to buy PLEX from RMTraders not from CCP, because they will have it cheaper from RMTraders. So when no new PLEXes will be injected into the economy, the price ingame will rise to the absurdly levels.

People can use PLEX by adding playtime to the account. If it will be cheaper than subscription, why not use it?
Evelgrivion
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-10-28 10:07:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Evelgrivion
March rabbit wrote:
- mister X boards ship

And the same can be done with anything in the Eve Online. PLEX just makes it easier to move big amounts of ISK. But it's totally possible to find other options (like +5/+6 implants of whatever)

You have a point there. However, a commodity like PLEX is problematic for two reasons; one, it is in a legal gray area, one which I would like to see CCP take a stand against. Two, PLEX only come from giving money to CCP. High PLEX prices appear to be a strong stimulus for inflation. In the absence of meaningful ISK sinks, inflation pressure is very dangerous to the overall health of the game economy.
Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#13 - 2013-10-28 10:21:16 UTC
WE NEED TE AUCTIONHOUSE #MAKEITHAPPEN

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#14 - 2013-10-28 10:37:08 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
- mister X boards ship

Why even bother with that, just make an isk doubler alt, and make sure one of your marks is the RMT guy.
Dex Thunakar
Evil Genius Organisation
#15 - 2013-10-28 10:44:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Dex Thunakar
I don't get what the big deal is with RMT... the only thing I can't stand is botting... but who cares if somebody wishes to sell some of their plex for real money? (I know it's against the rules, just saying I don't care and I don't see how it affects anybody else's gameplay experience - right now you can buy plex with real money too so it really won't make any difference other than CCP not getting all the cash lol)
Evelgrivion
State War Academy
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-10-28 10:52:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Evelgrivion
Dex Thunakar wrote:
I don't get what the big deal is with RMT... the only thing I can't stand is botting... but who cares if somebody wishes to sell some of their plex for real money? (I know it's against the rules, just saying I don't care and I don't see how it affects anybody else's gameplay experience - right now you can buy plex with real money too so it really won't make any difference other than CCP not getting all the cash lol)

RMT poses legal problems for subjects such as money laundering and other acts of a dubious nature. It is a catalyst for toxic gameplay and economic instability, and encourages people to play the game in a shortsighted way. It is not conductive to CCP's business model, which is designed around a long term investment in activities and reputation by players and CCP alike.

The one currency of equality in Eve Online is game time; everyone is buying into the universe 30 days at a time. PLEX are traded for ISK, but they are consistent with CCP's equality model; players are still buying someone else's game time. Using PLEX as a mechanism for RMT perverts this by using them as a mechanism to cash out of the game universe. It is counterproductive for CCP's long term player investment model. If players can make a bundle of real life money by selling game commodities for real cash that they bought with ISK, what incentive do they have for waging grandiose wars when they can make money instead?

Do you want to play Eve Online when the Powers That Be are only involved in it to sell their moon goo for cash? When the only reason people form fleets and build capitals and otherwise get into slug-fests is either because they're bored, or because the alliance leader wants to make a downpayment on his new car?

RMT is everything that New Eden is not meant to be.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#17 - 2013-10-28 11:00:44 UTC
Quote:
21. Posting regarding RMT (Real Money Trading) is prohibited.

Posts discussing, linking to, or advertising RMT, including but not limited to the sale of in game items, assets, currency, characters or game accounts for real life money are strictly prohibited.

Thread locked.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department