These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Steam Sale - Second Account

Author
Arakasi Ozura
Shogunate Industries
#1 - 2013-10-24 23:16:46 UTC
Hey all,

Just a question regarding the current Steam Sale and EVE (£3.24!) - I already have an account bought and subbed through the CCP website, I was thinking of buying a second through Steam due to the low price.

Now, I was wondering if this is a bad idea because I've just been through the forums and read both positives and negatives.

1) Am I able to log in to both accounts using one launcher? ie if I'm on a computer with no steam and a CCP client or vice versa, would I be able to use both accounts at once?

2) Kinda related, my Steam username also happens to be the same as my EVE one, is this a problem?

3) Are subscriptions handled through CCP? Also, does anybody know if I get given a CD-key or is it somehow tied to Steam?

Thanks
Maximillan Lancaster
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-10-24 23:54:09 UTC
You can only have one instance of Steam running. So, no :P
Noriko Mai
#3 - 2013-10-24 23:57:03 UTC
Maximillan Lancaster wrote:

Can't you use the normal EVE Launcher to play if you activated over steam? Respectively doesn't Steam launch the EVE Laucher?

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#4 - 2013-10-25 00:17:04 UTC
nope. you have to use the steam launcher to log into the steam option. There's no 'log in using steam' on the regular launcher.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-10-25 00:21:52 UTC
I open the game through Steam and found out that it simply asks me to enter my password because my Steam password is different from my EVE account password. The launcher comes up with a 'failed to login' message and then allows me to log in with any credentials I want.

I dunno if this still works though, I think they changed the way the launcher interfaces with Steam since I installed the game through Steam.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Baggo Hammers
#6 - 2013-10-25 01:24:20 UTC
Noriko Mai wrote:
Maximillan Lancaster wrote:

Can't you use the normal EVE Launcher to play if you activated over steam? Respectively doesn't Steam launch the EVE Laucher?

You have to log into a Steam acct through Steam.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Arakasi Ozura
Shogunate Industries
#7 - 2013-10-25 13:55:45 UTC
Okay, so you have to log into a Steam account through Steam. I'm guessing this means you have to use Steam for your subs as well.

Is there no way just to buy the key from this sale and apply it to a new CCP account?
Tron 3K
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-10-25 13:58:23 UTC
Moral of story is, Steam sucks.. Stupid game companies now also making their own thing like Steam its getting ridiculous..
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#9 - 2013-10-25 14:02:56 UTC
is there ANY reason whatsoever to use steam for Eve ? I kind of wonder why people would voluntarily put a third company and their program in between them and their Eve account. I use steam for several games and I see its worth as a distribution and management program, but it seems entirely nonsensical for a game like Eve where there's no initial purchase of a game besides the subscription, and there's no DRM concerns for more or less the same reason.

I guess you want your steam friends to see you're playing internet spaceships?

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#10 - 2013-10-25 14:18:29 UTC
Batelle wrote:
is there ANY reason whatsoever to use steam for Eve ? I kind of wonder why people would voluntarily put a third company and their program in between them and their Eve account. I use steam for several games and I see its worth as a distribution and management program, but it seems entirely nonsensical for a game like Eve where there's no initial purchase of a game besides the subscription, and there's no DRM concerns for more or less the same reason.

4months account for 30 ish € is a deal I would say.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Arakasi Ozura
Shogunate Industries
#11 - 2013-10-25 17:44:37 UTC
Batelle wrote:

The £3.24 offer is just something I don't think I can pass up Smile
Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-10-25 21:53:47 UTC
Arakasi Ozura wrote:
Batelle wrote:

It's a trap! Never trust a bargain in sector 7!

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Jax Zaden
Prometheus Deep Core Mining
#13 - 2013-10-25 22:31:02 UTC
Think of it this way - if you have an account, you can send yourself a 21 day trial and then spend $14.99 to upgrade it. When you do that, you get a Plex on your original account that you can give to your new character - so essentially, you get the equal of 81 days worth of game play (21 day trial, 30 day upgrade, 30 days for the Plex) for $14.99 or about $0.19/day.

Buying the game on Steam for $4.98 for 30 days would be $0.17/day but to get the same 81 days, you would have to spend ~$30.46 (30 days @ $4.98, 30 days @ $14.99, 21 days @ $~10.50) or about $0.38/day.

Buddy invite / upgrade = 81 days worth of game play for $14.99

Steam purchase = 81 days worth of game play for ~$30.46

Doesn't seem like that great a deal does it.

Blue Binary
Polychoron
#14 - 2013-10-25 23:21:50 UTC
Arakasi Ozura wrote:
Batelle wrote:

Plus the other half of the Steam weekend deal. A 50% discount to the 3 month sub @ £13.99 + £3.24 = £17.23 ($27.87) for 120 days seems a good deal.

Note the warning though, "Character transfers are currently not available for Steam accounts."