These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve is not a sandbox

Author
Weeze88 Roman
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-10-25 19:08:45 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
I have to add something.

You are a solo pilot.

I would suggest teaming up with noobs, leaving the starter area and just going for it.

Youtube will help you a lot more than most people.

I tried getting in duels but everytime I do, the other guy has logi with him. I genuinely want to get good at it , but I find in couster there are many players like me who have been around a while but never pvp and want a fair fight. So I go there.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#42 - 2013-10-25 19:10:46 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
I tried getting in duels but everytime I do, the other guy has logi with him. I genuinely want to get good at it , but I find in couster there are many players like me who have been around a while but never pvp and want a fair fight. So I go there.

Couster is pretty much explicitly not for that, so don't go there.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2013-10-25 19:11:45 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
I have to add something.

You are a solo pilot.

I would suggest teaming up with noobs, leaving the starter area and just going for it.

Youtube will help you a lot more than most people.

That's not what i meant.

If noobs in couster know you, then you should gather them and go shoot something together.
A group of frigates can be pretty devastating already. Learning by doing definitely is the way to go.

(btw, great troll. i wanna play along)
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#44 - 2013-10-25 19:17:13 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
"A box without hinges, key or lid, yet golden treasure resides withininside is hid"

Followed fairly swiftly by "What have I got in my pocket?"

Evil

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Iudicium Vastus
Doomheim
#45 - 2013-10-25 19:24:58 UTC
People coming into the sandbox built by others and claiming it's not one and what's wrong.
Want your own version of your definition of the sandbox, go build your own.

[u]Nerf stabs/cloaks in FW?[/u] No, just.. -Fit more points -Fit faction points -Bring a friend or two with points (an alt is fine too)

Weeze88 Roman
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-10-25 19:33:03 UTC
Iudicium Vastus wrote:
People coming into the sandbox built by others and claiming it's not one and what's wrong.

I guess only your thoughts matter you must be a GM in eve
Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#47 - 2013-10-25 19:33:49 UTC
Does it means EVE is dead... damn that makes me sad Sad

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#48 - 2013-10-25 19:34:34 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
Iudicium Vastus wrote:

Correct

Only the thoughts of those who understand

Matter

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Na Und
Galactronics
#49 - 2013-10-25 19:36:46 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
Iudicium Vastus wrote:

That was my first impression, also . . . if you want fully to understand "what tricking a noob into pvp is," and what is not, design your own game. And profit. Or not.
Adunh Slavy
#50 - 2013-10-25 19:37:51 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
If anyone says this game is a sandbox then they don't know what sandbox means. If rules apply (especially rules that they make so vague that know one actually knows what the rule covers) Then it's not a sandbox. Point #1 They will lock this thread so no one else can put their 2 cents about it in. Point #2 Try to figure out what tricking a noob into pvp is. Because there is no straight answer. They make it up as they go along. Some more points people.

So because you can't gank noobs it is not a sandbox?

If you go to a park and beat up a little kid playing in a sandbox, and then the cops come and smack you in the head with a stick and drag you off to a cage where a man named Bubba Joe thinks you have a purty mouth, is that suddenly not a sandbox?

Show us where the bad GM touched you.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Weeze88 Roman
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-10-25 20:05:30 UTC
Adunh Slavy wrote:
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
If anyone says this game is a sandbox then they don't know what sandbox means. If rules apply (especially rules that they make so vague that know one actually knows what the rule covers) Then it's not a sandbox. Point #1 They will lock this thread so no one else can put their 2 cents about it in. Point #2 Try to figure out what tricking a noob into pvp is. Because there is no straight answer. They make it up as they go along. Some more points people.

So because you can't gank noobs it is not a sandbox?

If you go to a park and beat up a little kid playing in a sandbox, and then the cops come and smack you in the head with a stick and drag you off to a cage where a man named Bubba Joe thinks you have a purty mouth, is that suddenly not a sandbox?

Show us where the bad GM touched you.

Where in my post does it say I gank noobs,lol so obtuse.
Weeze88 Roman
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2013-10-25 20:06:24 UTC
So sandbox? yes or no
TharOkha
0asis Group
#53 - 2013-10-25 20:06:48 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
Solstice Project wrote:

It is completely broken that CCP believes new players have to be protected,
instead of being taught how to survive and protect themselves.

reason: A noob starting points would be perma camped by the "e-l33t" PvPers. Teaching how to survive is in players hands. thats the beauty of sandbox. Player made schools/universities.
Quote:
It's also broken that there are only highsec starter areas,

-Well, traders would like to start in Jita.
-Explorers would like to start in WH.

You can apply this weird fallacy to anything.

Quote:
although there definitely have to be noobs out there who'd rather start in null- or lowsec.

They can be there within a minutes from their ingame birth
Quote:
Additionally, it's completely broken that new players pretty much only mine or run missions at the beginning
and worse, that they do most of the stuff solo.

Thats the beauty of sandbox. You can do whatever you want to. Although i agree with you that there should me more content to guide players through most of what EVE can offer. like incursions. i know many players who has been hisec solo carebears, then they tried coop gameplay in incursion and many of them are now in various low/null corporations and alliances.
Quote:
Griefers tell them to go mining or running missions,
instead of helping them finding out what to do in EvE or at least playing with them together.

Thats the beauty of sandbox. You can teach new players or grief them. It all depends on player community.

[/quote]
Obunagawe
#54 - 2013-10-25 20:08:30 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
"A litter box, sometimes called a sandbox, litter tray, litter pan, or catbox, is an indoor faeces and urine disposal box for cats"

Are you a cat?

(Edit: when faeces is spelled correctly, it isnt censored. Interesting)

faeces feaces feacaes faecaes fecaes feceas
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#55 - 2013-10-25 20:10:16 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
Where in my post does it say I gank noobs
In the OP and in pretty much every subsequent post.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#56 - 2013-10-25 20:10:40 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
So sandbox? yes or no

Yes

I think you confuse a sandbox with an open-world game

like Minecraft

In Creative mode

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#57 - 2013-10-25 20:11:16 UTC
Obunagawe wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
"A litter box, sometimes called a sandbox, litter tray, litter pan, or catbox, is an indoor faeces and urine disposal box for cats"

Are you a cat?

(Edit: when faeces is spelled correctly, it isnt censored. Interesting)

faeces feaces feacaes faecaes fecaes feceas

Yes but feces

E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#58 - 2013-10-25 20:13:00 UTC
Tippia wrote:
So I take it you don't really know what a sandbox is, OP?
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
If rules apply (especially rules that they make so vague that know one actually knows what the rule covers) Then it's not a sandbox.
Sure it is. Being a sandbox has little to nothing to do with the presence of rules. If anything, the rules are what makes a sandbox rather than an amorphous pile.

As luck would have it you are once again wrong. please see below.

sand·box
/ˈsan(d)ˌbäks/
noun
noun: sandbox; plural noun: sandboxes; noun: sandbox tree; plural noun: sandbox trees1. a shallow box or hollow in the ground partly filled with sand for children to play in.
•historical
a perforated container for sprinkling sand onto wet ink in order to dry it.•Computinga virtual space in which new or untested software can be run securely.2. a tropical American tree whose seed cases were formerly used to hold sand for blotting ink.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2013-10-25 20:13:04 UTC
TharOkha wrote:
Too many Quotes
Interesting response.

Thanks!
Weeze88 Roman
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2013-10-25 20:13:37 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
Where in my post does it say I gank noobs
In the OP and in pretty much every subsequent post.

no I said i was yellow in couster and got attacked by a noob .