These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Valkyrie might not be coming to PC at Launch...Dust was so good we thought screw you PC Gamers?

Author
JamDunc
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1 - 2013-10-25 17:37:43 UTC  |  Edited by: JamDunc
So David Reed, the guy who has taken over as chief marketing officer for the last few years has been hard at work making sure that CCP shines as a beacon of solid competence and trustworthiness. No longer do we need to worry about T20 scandals, Summers of Rage or anything like that. Today we are in safe hands and as players don't need to worry about CCP screwing loyal fans over...right.....right....RIGHT!!!!!

Well if you wanted to play Valkyrie on a PC, the wait may be longer than you think

Quote:
“Hold on a second, we haven’t confirmed that Valkyrie’s on PC,” he interjected

Quote:
“Well, I mean, PC is definitely in the cards. Is it definitely something that’s there in 2014 on commercial launch day? I couldn’t answer that for you yet. We certainly could do it, but it’s still a question of whether we will.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/24/very-odd-ccp-refuses-to-confirm-eve-valkyrie-on-pc/#more-174017

It might not be time to get out the pitchforks, but it does sound like a pretty dumb strategy to me. From all the press build up so far Valkyrie on PC and Rift was the dream ticket. The wise Mr Reed, may have other plans though. I don't know if this is because he thinks it will be clever to announce it as a PC game in the future or if he is trying to get Sony or Microsoft to pay them to make it an exclusive. I just don't understand CCP sometimes.

Oh and about it being on Oculus Rift?

Quote:
“No, we’re not necessarily [basing our launch on when Oculus comes out],” he clarified. “While we can’t get into details here, there are other platforms that are available. It is technically possible to run this game without a Rift. There’s a whole bunch of different things out on the market right now.”
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-10-25 17:47:56 UTC
That article was a painful read. at this rate I'm betting on ouya, rift and linux.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-10-25 17:47:58 UTC
Why can't they simply use Unity or whatever else that's plattform independent ? ...
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2013-10-25 17:48:11 UTC
seems pretty normal for designers to avoid the question of what platforms the game's being released on early on. i think they have to figure things out with the publisher and console manufacturers first. so don't panic, eh
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#5 - 2013-10-25 17:48:32 UTC
JamDunc wrote:
scandels

WTF ARE YOU DOING

PUT THAT THING AWAY BEFORE YOU GET US ALL KILLED

BETWEEN HIS HOWLING AND YOUR BLASTING ITS A WONDER THE WHOLE STATION DOESNT KNOW WE'RE HERE

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

JamDunc
Dreddit
#6 - 2013-10-25 17:51:59 UTC  |  Edited by: JamDunc
Benny Ohu wrote:
seems pretty normal for designers to avoid the question of what platforms the game's being released on early on. i think they have to figure things out with the publisher and console manufacturers first. so don't panic, eh

I remember when the first rumours of Dust being a console exclusive started to float about. Everyone was pretty much on the same page, "nah thats never gonna happen" It happened.

Only CCP would even think of taking something thats caught the worlds attention and then saying Nah, we are going PS4 exclusive and it will only work with this new PS4 VR headset.

After all PS4 is going into the VR market hard
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-sony-set-to-go-big-with-virtual-reality-on-playstation-4
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#7 - 2013-10-25 17:52:13 UTC
In the general press (CNN, blah blah blah, etc.) I keep reading all this stuff about the Death of the PC.

Sounds like it, if this is how game developers are thinking already.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#8 - 2013-10-25 17:53:41 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
In the general press (CNN, blah blah blah, etc.) I keep reading all this stuff about the Death of the PC.

Confirmed

Press tells truth

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-10-25 17:54:20 UTC
JamDunc wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

I remember when the first rumours of Dust being a console exclusive started to float about. Everyone was pretty much on the same page, "nah thats never gonna happen" It happened.

Only CCP would even think of taking something thats caught the worlds attention and then saying Nah, we are going PS4 exclusive and it will only work with this new PS4 VR headset.

yeah i'll just leave you to rage about it then, i'll be over here chillaxing and drinking chocolate milk
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2013-10-25 17:55:17 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
yeah i'll just leave you to rage about it then, i'll be over here chillaxing and drinking chocolate milk

and i'm all outta milk CoolCoolCool
JamDunc
Dreddit
#11 - 2013-10-25 17:56:51 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Someone has Hilmars ear. He has been brainwashed that the future is F2P and microtransactions. Everything you hear him say points in this direction. I'm not super smart or even in the industry so I can't say for sure he is wrong. He has also been convinced that PC gaming is dead because of piracy. The fact all the evidence points against that doesn't seem to matter.

With the way Reid is talking I am expecting Valkyrie to be console exclusive using some unannounced VR console headset. It will be F2P and loaded with microtransactions. After all, that worked out great for Dust.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#12 - 2013-10-25 17:56:55 UTC
Valkyrie will be an EA production exclusively for XBone.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#13 - 2013-10-25 18:00:10 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Confirmed

Press tells truth

I swear it's paid propaganda by Apple. All of it.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

JamDunc
Dreddit
#14 - 2013-10-25 18:02:18 UTC  |  Edited by: JamDunc
Benny Ohu wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

and i'm all outta milk CoolCoolCool

Not really rage, just frustration.

When all the stuff with Incarna was building the player base kept saying no. CCP kept saying yes. Eveyone knew that releasing an expansion that pretty much consisted of one room that couldn't be modified was daft.

When CCP announced Aurum players were pretty much Meh, as long as its just vanity we don't care. Then CCP went ahead and confirmed (via newsletters and emails) that they were pretty much planning on releasing ships for Aurum. Players went nuts.

When CCP said they wanted to release their new game on a console right at the end of its life the players were unanimous "WTF" CCP did it anyway.

When CCP decided to give trillions of isk to one person because of er....we want to. Players pretty much just slapped their foreheads.

I just don't understand how they think sometimes. Remember this guys job is to get positive press for CCP. Think about it, what positive press has CCP had in the last couple of years that wasn't player done? What bad press have they had that was CCP done? Is he doing his job?
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#15 - 2013-10-25 18:08:43 UTC
Aie.

I'd be totally, 100% sold if it's a Rift product that can be played via PC. I don't care what else it comes out on.

Mind, I'm one of those funky gamers that loves EVE and strategy games, and doesn't own a console.

But, uh, really here. While CCP shouldn't cater to its EVE demographic to the exclusion of others, getting EVE player buy-in is a solid way to ensure long-term support for the game.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#16 - 2013-10-25 18:10:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
JamDunc wrote:

Someone has Hilmars ear. He has been brainwashed that the future is F2P and microtransactions. Everything you hear him say points in this direction.

What Is Heresy?

Heresy is an emotionally loaded term that is often misused. It is not the same thing as incredulity, schism, apostasy, or other sins against faith. The Catechism of the Catholic Pontifex (CCP) states, "Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and true faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of EvE Online; schism is the refusal of submission to CCP or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him" (CCP 2089).

To commit heresy, one must refuse to be corrected. A person who is ready to be corrected or who is unaware that what he has been saying is against Church teaching is not a heretic.

A person must be a capsuleer to commit heresy. This means that movements that have split off from or been influenced by EvE Online, but that do not practice EvE Online (or do not practice valid accounts), are not heresies, but separate religions. Examples include Muslims, who do not practice PvE, and Jehovah’s Witnesses, who do not practice valid PvP.

Finally, the doubt or denial involved in heresy must concern a matter that has been revealed by a Dev and solemnly defined by CCP.

It is important to distinguish heresy from schism and apostasy. In schism, one separates from CCP without repudiating a defined doctrine. An example of a contemporary schism is the Society of St. Pius X—the "Lefebvrists" or followers of the late Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre—who separated from the Church in the late 1980s, but who have not denied Catholic doctrines. In apostasy, one totally repudiates EvE Online and no longer even claims to be a capsuleer.

Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2013-10-25 18:10:27 UTC
I think you're reading too much into it. They just don't want to appear to be committing to anything before they work it all out themselves, or they'll appear to have been lying. This isn't a case of the dude in the interview trying to hide something or be dishonest - he's just exercising prudence because they're early in the design process
JamDunc
Dreddit
#18 - 2013-10-25 18:10:28 UTC
UPDATE: Taken from Reddit

Quote:
[–]nuadi Caldari 41 points 1 day ago (52|11)

To CCP devs lurking here: Guys, I understand that you're holding off before you commit to a platform. Totally get it. I'm a dev, I understand the implications.
However, please look at the feedback from the PS3-only Dust. We EvE players want an accessible Valkyrie release. Dust is not very accessible to some of us, as an additional gaming system in the house is not always possible.
Just, please get the feedback where it needs to be, and voice that Valkyrie would be very, very (very), welcome on PC.
permalinksourcereportgive goldsave-RESreplyhide child comments

Quote:
[–]ccp_manifest 52 points 1 day ago (57|5)
Noted. Oh damn, I'm decloaked.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#19 - 2013-10-25 18:14:06 UTC
JamDunc wrote:
UPDATE: Taken from Reddit

The reliable sources keep piling up

JamDunc
Dreddit
#20 - 2013-10-25 18:17:09 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
JamDunc wrote:

Someone has Hilmars ear. He has been brainwashed that the future is F2P and microtransactions. Everything you hear him say points in this direction.

What Is Heresy?

You broke my brain.
123Next page