These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How we got to Null.....you can go too!

Author
Kyle Myr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2011-11-16 08:57:25 UTC
Erica Snotty wrote:
If your in a medium size corporation & want to get to Nullsec this is how we accomplished that goal. Despite all the myths about it being hard to get to null & establish yourself it was not that difficult but you need a plan. It will help considerably if your corp has a capital capability and a Rorqual & carrier will be a godsend as you will see later.

We planned the move to Null 3 months in advance. We knew that we did not want to be anybodies pet at this stage so the option open to us was NPC null. We also knew that we did not want protracted logistics so null had to be one cyno jump from our staging point. This helps massively with logistics and getting your corp into null.

We anchored a POS in a lowsec system within range of our selected nullsec location, which had already been scouted & a suitable moon selected. All that we needed to do was to get a covert ops ship into the nullsec system which carried a cyno & fuel. This pilot then purchased a frigate, fitted the cyno & we were in business for stage one of the nullsec plan. From the lowsec staging point we cynoed a carrier into the nullsec system which carried the tower to be anchored, a small amount of fuel & a tec2 transport ship which was also able to be used by the cyno pilot. The tower was placed in the tec2 transport then anchored & fuelled for a couple of hours. We then jumped a Rorqual into the safety of the nullsec POS shields & properly fuelled & stronted the POS.

The Rorqual carried blocks of seven jump clones for our corp members who cloned jumped into the new system then established 24 hours later jumps back to empire. This allows us a strong nullsec prescence and our corp members can move at will between null & empire thus avoiding gate camps.

Okay, what helped us was the skills from our corp to fly the Rorqual & carriers but these skills are not difficult to get even within a 3 month time plan for advance pilots.

We now have a POS that allows us to do some moon mining, ratting & a PI staging system. It is all that is needed to grow into Null.

I say, if you want to go to Null, just do it & have fun.

I find this story somewhat interesting, and I'm curious of the logistics of small corps moving into low sec and NPC null, as well as the benefits. Obviously you're not going to be getting the benefits of Sov holding null - which is to say, supercap construction, jump bridges, and Sov upgrades to ratting. You are going to have access to the rest of the benefits - high quality PI, anomaly ratting as an alternative to missions, 0.0 complexes, and even potentially the unique benefit of 0.0 mission agents. Theoretically, you might make money with moon mining, but any highly profitable moon would be held by the nearest power bloc, so I'm assuming moon mining mostly helps you recoup much of your fuel costs. All in all, this seems like a fair bit of effort, but reasonable for a medium sized active corporation, as you describe your main, with access to a few ship types for logistics.

That last bit is what I'm most interested in. Rorquals are ideal for dropping and fueling POS, but with the rising cost of oxygen isotopes, is there any issue with running one for your needs? Do you have redundancy to prevent burnout of the guy doing POS setup/maintenance? The same goes with the carrier pilots you use, presumably to help import your ships, as well as potentially provide fighter support to your ratters - is it needed for one in ten to have a carrier so that hull importation is not an issue? Or is it closer to one in five? Finally, blockade runners, which are easier for 'line members' to skill into, or at least roll an alt for - do you find having one of these to be a bare minimum for line membership, or can players get around this by corp programs to import modules/ammo?

I guess I'm also interested in the general PvP experience for a medium, independent, NPC null corporation. I've seen everything ranging from solo to ~30 man fleets out of various NPC null entities, and even had good fun playing station games with a few, but I've got an outsider's perspective. Do individual hulls have significantly more value to your corporation, as losing them represents a greater cost in effort to replace them, or is your importation initiative strong enough that roams with inexpensive, disposable setups are still a fun and viable pastime?
Erica Snotty
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2011-11-16 10:32:48 UTC
Kyle Myr wrote:
Erica Snotty wrote:
If your in a medium size corporation & want to get to Nullsec this is how we accomplished that goal. Despite all the myths about it being hard to get to null & establish yourself it was not that difficult but you need a plan. It will help considerably if your corp has a capital capability and a Rorqual & carrier will be a godsend as you will see later.

We planned the move to Null 3 months in advance. We knew that we did not want to be anybodies pet at this stage so the option open to us was NPC null. We also knew that we did not want protracted logistics so null had to be one cyno jump from our staging point. This helps massively with logistics and getting your corp into null.

We anchored a POS in a lowsec system within range of our selected nullsec location, which had already been scouted & a suitable moon selected. All that we needed to do was to get a covert ops ship into the nullsec system which carried a cyno & fuel. This pilot then purchased a frigate, fitted the cyno & we were in business for stage one of the nullsec plan. From the lowsec staging point we cynoed a carrier into the nullsec system which carried the tower to be anchored, a small amount of fuel & a tec2 transport ship which was also able to be used by the cyno pilot. The tower was placed in the tec2 transport then anchored & fuelled for a couple of hours. We then jumped a Rorqual into the safety of the nullsec POS shields & properly fuelled & stronted the POS.

The Rorqual carried blocks of seven jump clones for our corp members who cloned jumped into the new system then established 24 hours later jumps back to empire. This allows us a strong nullsec prescence and our corp members can move at will between null & empire thus avoiding gate camps.

Okay, what helped us was the skills from our corp to fly the Rorqual & carriers but these skills are not difficult to get even within a 3 month time plan for advance pilots.

We now have a POS that allows us to do some moon mining, ratting & a PI staging system. It is all that is needed to grow into Null.

I say, if you want to go to Null, just do it & have fun.

I find this story somewhat interesting.......[/quote]

Thanks for the time you spent posting. Your questions are valid & well thought out.

I think any medium size corp that makes a move into null will experience difficulties if they fail to plan.

We thought about all the points you raised long & hard hence the amount of time spent in preperation. The logistics side is very important hence the ability of our corp to field logistics in many ways which range from jump freighters through to Rorquals, carriers & blockade runners.

We have many good pilots with reasonbly high skills who can field carriers offer POS gun support as well as command defensive fleets if the need ever arose. So burnout of any one individual will not factor in the overall scheme of being able to effectively manage the null adventure.

The price of hulls is not important as we are well funded and can manufacture all our tec1 hulls as well as having the ability to build carriers in our lowsec staging systems. We have no problems fielding conventional tec1 ships and there loss is unimportant to the overall scheme of our fun to be in nullsec plan.

We do plenty of Ice & mineral mining in empire to fullfill these requirements.

We will have fun, progress & ultimately make a little bit of null a home from home. I have a plan to seed the local area with stocks of ships & modules at only a small markup above empire prices which will stimulate the market and encourage a bit more activity.

I would hope to make some friends in null by not taking an aggressive stance with the locals and respecting that not everone plays the game the same.
Comrade Commizzar
Eve Revolutionary Army
#43 - 2011-11-16 16:26:15 UTC

"Do you honestly think that a huge fleet is going to amass to knock out one POS in NPC null space which is occupied by a few guys trying to scratch out a living & not particularly harming anybody."
YES, ABSOLUTELY... AND JUST FOR LULZ!

" I have news for you- lots of people think they "owned" their space & just as quickly they were evicted, just look at the swings & tides in Dotlan."

Do us a favor and show us on Dotlan what part you own...
[/quote]

Your an Idiot- nobody owns NPC space. CCP put it there so people like me can stick 2 fingers up at you & tell you to get ******.
[/quote]
Yeah, I know... I'm an idiot... and you still haven't told me where in zero you reside.Lol
You said you wanted to meet friends.Shocked
Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#44 - 2011-11-16 17:07:47 UTC
Bloody hell!! You could swear that some of the people posting in this thread are unhappy and jealous that you took that first step.

Kudos to you and thank you for your insight into how you accomplished it all. Eve needs more people like you.

As to when the bad boys are going to bash down your door, who is to say you won't give them a bloody nose?

Good luck and I hope you grow and prosper, even the large alliances started off somehow, somewhere.

Erica Snotty
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2011-11-17 09:10:35 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
Bloody hell!! You could swear that some of the people posting in this thread are unhappy and jealous that you took that first step.

Kudos to you and thank you for your insight into how you accomplished it all. Eve needs more people like you.

As to when the bad boys are going to bash down your door, who is to say you won't give them a bloody nose?

Good luck and I hope you grow and prosper, even the large alliances started off somehow, somewhere.

Thanks for the encouragement There are those who welcome & those you would burn down your front door if they thought that there was "fun" to be had from that action. Eve very much mirrors life in that respect.Cry.
Tore Vest
#46 - 2011-11-17 09:25:16 UTC
Good luck to you out there Smile
I know more ppl that is trying their luck in 0.0...

Small tip :
Dont bring everything you own out to null Blink

No troll.

Erica Snotty
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2011-11-17 09:44:05 UTC
Tore Vest wrote:

Small tip :

Good advice about not bringing all our shiny stuff to null. We live quite frugally & happily rat in tec1 ships. This keeps the ever possibility of loss quite low. All the cap ships are stored away from the POS anyway so that eliminates one source of worry.

We get the occasional hauler spawns which keep us stocked up with useful bulk minerals. All in all it is not a bad experience especially with the PI helping out with the POS fuel costs as its mainly ICE product that is bought from empire.

I really think that the essence of Null is that nothing is ever going to be as easy as empire, those who choose empire have a far easier ride but the satisfaction of getting into null more than compensates.
Kyle Myr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2011-11-17 20:21:08 UTC
Erica Snotty wrote:
Tore Vest wrote:

Small tip :

Good advice about not bringing all our shiny stuff to null. We live quite frugally & happily rat in tec1 ships. This keeps the ever possibility of loss quite low. All the cap ships are stored away from the POS anyway so that eliminates one source of worry.

We get the occasional hauler spawns which keep us stocked up with useful bulk minerals. All in all it is not a bad experience especially with the PI helping out with the POS fuel costs as its mainly ICE product that is bought from empire.

I really think that the essence of Null is that nothing is ever going to be as easy as empire, those who choose empire have a far easier ride but the satisfaction of getting into null more than compensates.

Keep in mind, using PI to make your own POS fuel isn't free - you're just instead sinking the profits from 0.0 extraction into running your POS rather than making cash on exporting and selling this products. However, saving the trouble of shipping in fuel makes a ton of sense.

Hauler spawns also make a lot of sense as sources of minerals, and if you've got industry guys available to build your t1 hulls off good skills and BPs, you're also likely running close to empire's razor-thin margins. Again, this is sinking a lot of industrial SP into alliance maintenance rather than profit, but it makes sense if you want to get out to 0.0 with less absurd costs.

Obviously you're only going to say exactly where you live if you've got a strong desire to die, but how did you specifically choose your location? Was it more based around ease of pipe running/cynoing? Rat type? The general disposition of neighboring SOV entities?The presence (or absence) of smaller entities? I'm curious what people find desirable in an NPC 0.0 region that makes them move there.

I understand the draw of 0.0 simply from a perspective of a more desirable game experience from the perspective of not wanting to deal with aggression, sec status, gates, and lag when thinking about who you can shoot, and from the fact that it offers many of the freedoms of EVE. Do you find you get more new or more veteran players looking to join in with your type of corporation?
Dunbar Hulan
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#49 - 2011-11-17 20:33:34 UTC
Good story and kudos to you for moving out to null. Don't worry about the haters on here.

** Manchester United - Paul Scholes= Genius**

Paragon Renegade
Sebiestor Tribe
#50 - 2011-11-17 21:17:24 UTC
I envy you OP, truly. This is in all actuallity pretty inspiring; I'll run a plan like this past my own corpmates.

The pie is a tautology

Erica Snotty
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2011-11-18 08:45:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Erica Snotty
Kyle Myr wrote:
[quote=Erica Snotty][quote=Tore Vest]Good luck to you out there Smile

We did not look too closely at who lived in the region we were planning to occupy. The lowsec POS was already in situ so it made sense to select a null location within jump range of that location. The most important concern was that it had to be within one cyno jump of a level 5 jump drive calibration pilot both for Rorqual & jump freighter.

A location was selected and a covert ops corp toon member scanned all the moons in the target location & came up with a number of moons that allowed multiple moon harvester arrays to be anchored. This provides us with products for a reaction back in our lowsec location.

I am conscious of the interest in this thread and I honestly wish that most of null was not geared to burning down your ranch. I would love to give more information about the location but at this moment in time we are too weak to make a difference.
Kyle Myr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2011-11-18 15:27:56 UTC
Erica Snotty wrote:
Kyle Myr wrote:

We did not look too closely at who lived in the region we were planning to occupy. The lowsec POS was already in situ so it made sense to select a null location within jump range of that location. The most important concern was that it had to be within one cyno jump of a level 5 jump drive calibration pilot both for Rorqual & jump freighter.

A location was selected and a covert ops corp toon member scanned all the moons in the target location & came up with a number of moons that allowed multiple moon harvester arrays to be anchored. This provides us with products for a reaction back in our lowsec location.

I am conscious of the interest in this thread and I honestly wish that most of null was not geared to burning down your ranch. I would love to give more information about the location but at this moment in time we are too weak to make a difference.

In case it's not expressly obvious, I understand why giving away your location to any organization with a few bored super cap pilots is a bad idea. That said, if you want to say hi out in 0.0, you know where to find us, at least. We're training a fair number of new pilots right now, so expect frigate fleets around Deklein and Delve.

At any rate, your way of picking out a location makes a lot of sense, and considering the jump range of Rorquals/JFs, this could give you a fair bit of range.

Would you recommend others start out by building a base in low sec? Low sec is quieter than NPC null, but very susceptible to lag due to its servers and aggression flagging issues. There's also the fact that if you somehow did attract the attention of bored super caps, the only thing that can hold them down is a scripted Hictor. What do you think about starting out in NPC Null stations? At least in Guristas space, a properly fit Drake is able to belt rat all spawns to make a living, so even a newer pilot would be able to sustain themselves in such a place, with proper caution.
Junior Frog
Doomheim
#53 - 2011-11-18 16:14:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Junior Frog
For those of you who don't have all the resources and skillsets that the OP's corp has, there's an even EASIER way to get your corp out into NPC losec/nosec:

1. You can move clones out to losec/nosec using Jump Frog. You can create jumpclones, then Pod Express to your destination, and then jump clone back whenever you want to return to hisec.
2. You can move your stuff out there using Black Frog.

Set it up early in the week and have it ready and waiting for you on the weekend. No muss, no fuss. Easy as that.

Jump

Cregg Neir
Doomheim
#54 - 2011-11-18 16:38:34 UTC
When people say it's difficult to move to null, they mean it's difficult to go there and live in the hostility. They don't mean it's hard to put up a pos in null. I'm glad you and your corp are having a good experience. My corp moved a pos into NPC null, had it immediately attacked, and spent three weeks with people laying siege to it before we finally took it down.

NPC null may look empty but most of it is claimed by somebody, and if you get on their radar, they will come after you. Yes, it's pretty easy to put up a pos in null sec and you might be able to keep it if you're in the right place and nobody notices you.
Erica Snotty
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2011-11-19 11:04:34 UTC
Kyle Myr wrote:
Erica Snotty wrote:
Kyle Myr wrote:

In case it's not expressly obvious, I understand why giving away your location to any organization with a few bored super cap pilots is a bad idea. That said, if you want to say hi out in 0.0, you know where to find us, at least. We're training a fair number of new pilots right now, so expect frigate fleets around Deklein and Delve.

At any rate, your way of picking out a location makes a lot of sense, and considering the jump range of Rorquals/JFs, this could give you a fair bit of range.

Would you recommend others start out by building a base in low sec? Low sec is quieter than NPC null, but very susceptible to lag due to its servers and aggression flagging issues. There's also the fact that if you somehow did attract the attention of bored super caps, the only thing that can hold them down is a scripted Hictor. What do you think about starting out in NPC Null stations? At least in Guristas space, a properly fit Drake is able to belt rat all spawns to make a living, so even a newer pilot would be able to sustain themselves in such a place, with proper caution.

If you can find a low sec location that is also within 1 jump of high-sec (and there are a lot) then you will be able to easy move the goodies you acquire in null into high sec by jumping from POS directly to the hi-sec gate. This minimise risk & the whole experience has been about minimising risk & cost.

On the subject of making friends we hope to establish some contact with the locals & eventually look to working with them for a common goal of mutual interest & support.

If we can hold out until the patch becomes live defensive issues will become much easier with the nerf to super caps, particularly as we have a number of HIC & cap ship pilots ready to come to our aid which is a step we would rather not take.
Erica Snotty
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2011-11-19 11:13:25 UTC
Cregg Neir wrote:
When people say it's difficult to move to null, they mean it's difficult to go there and live in the hostility. They don't mean it's hard to put up a pos in null. I'm glad you and your corp are having a good experience. My corp moved a pos into NPC null, had it immediately attacked, and spent three weeks with people laying siege to it before we finally took it down.

NPC null may look empty but most of it is claimed by somebody, and if you get on their radar, they will come after you. Yes, it's pretty easy to put up a pos in null sec and you might be able to keep it if you're in the right place and nobody notices you.

I feel sorry for your wasted effort but don't give up. The fact that you tried for 3 weeks could not have been an easy experience. There will always be people who want to burn down your front door for no other reason that they can. What these people don't realise is that by working together everybody becomes stronger in the region. There is more than enough ore to mine & rats to kill in the belts. I honestly don't see the purpose in trying to own a system in NPC Null that can never really be owned. You can't get sov in NPC null so the exercise is somewhat pointless & more about bravado than anything else.

Good luck with your next attempt.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#57 - 2011-11-19 12:14:46 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
I suppose the whole using carriers or being in one just to be logistics and carry other people and their **** does sound fun. If we are talking about small corps using carriers and rorquals, might as well get yourselves a jump frieghter propably be more helpful. Think only the exploration and havens are cool down there, some kind of better ore as well down there too.

Hopefully your small corp can upgrade to a SC down there and go around hot dropping people, small corp style.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Mahakaharashi RedEagle
Doomheim
#58 - 2011-11-19 12:28:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Mahakaharashi RedEagle
I was living in NPC 0.0 alone for a couple of months, making few enemies as well as friends among locals. I had POS in c4 WH, for 5+ months, again working completely alone... so it's no big deal. But it becomes boring and somewhat exhausting experience after some time.
Soddington Smythe
A Big Enough Lever
#59 - 2011-11-19 12:28:27 UTC
rodyas wrote:
I suppose the whole using carriers or being in one just to be logistics and carry other people and their **** does sound fun. If we are talking about small corps using carriers and Rorquals, might as well get yourselves a jump freighter probably be more helpful. Think only the exploration and havens are cool down there, some kind of better ore as well down there too.

Hopefully your small corp can upgrade to a SC down there and go around hot dropping people, small corp style.

I was about to reply that JF`s are prohibitively expensive for small corps, but then I noticed your eye socket full of Nyx and realised that 'prohibitively expensive' isn't a concept you are likely to entertain,nor even offer pirated DVD`s to.

And to the OP,I applaud your attempt to gain entrance to the Nul,and only wish I had the sense to use a forum Alt,
Our small corp has made the effort to get out of empire on our own terms twice before , and in time we will try for a third.But for now a touch of WH living keeps us entertained.
I wish you the best.

Kyle Myr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2011-11-20 00:44:57 UTC
Erica Snotty wrote:

If you can find a low sec location that is also within 1 jump of high-sec (and there are a lot) then you will be able to easy move the goodies you acquire in null into high sec by jumping from POS directly to the hi-sec gate. This minimise risk & the whole experience has been about minimising risk & cost.

On the subject of making friends we hope to establish some contact with the locals & eventually look to working with them for a common goal of mutual interest & support.

If we can hold out until the patch becomes live defensive issues will become much easier with the nerf to super caps, particularly as we have a number of HIC & cap ship pilots ready to come to our aid which is a step we would rather not take.

I had a réponse, but the forums ate it. I'll redo the quick version:

Supers, diplomacy, and flying below radar are tough. Picking a non-critical moon in and out of the way area and setting up discretely seems reasonable. While your method of cynoing to lowsec/highsec gates with a JF isn't the safe formula I've learned, if it works for you, power to you.

Again, as you're taking pains to keep anonymity, I can't specifically comment regarding neighbors, but in general, reasons for eviction will be economic, strategic, or a more basic desire for conflict.

Good luck to you.