These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

QUICK QUESTION - Do ships in eve actually fly? - (this will give you nightmares)

First post
Author
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#21 - 2013-10-23 20:23:32 UTC
I always hate it when movies and games say, "Archers, fire!" Arrows aren't fired, they were around a long time before any projectiles were propelled by igniting combustibles. You shoot it or loose an arrow.
No Means No
meh fackit
#22 - 2013-10-23 20:23:46 UTC
Caviar Liberta wrote:
No Means No wrote:
Khira Kitamatsu wrote:
No Means No wrote:
Khira Kitamatsu wrote:
There must be air in EVE Universe space - because we can hear explosions - sounds. So since there is sound in space, that means there is a medium we are traveling through and thus we are flying. P


The sounds you hear are only a simulation of what could possibly be heard out of the event.
Your ships computer simulates the sounds heard in your pod.

#CCP stated


Yeah....yeah....and I suppose our ships magically have simulated drag as well...no inertia.


The inertia is towards a ships own weight, not towards air.


Mass is how large something is. Weight is relative to the level of gravitation forces applied to the mass.

Inertia determines how much energy it takes to get this mass moving or to reverse its motion.


You are right my friend, just wanted to somehow explain to him that air wasnt a factor here.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#23 - 2013-10-23 20:24:46 UTC
Caviar Liberta wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
It sounds better than "Drift safe" or "impel safe", which might be more appropriate terms.


Safe travels perhaps?


I also have a habit of saying things like "Good morning" or "Good evening" when such a term barely applies since I can tilt my camera and stare directly at the sun at any given time.

Social conventions, am I right?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Rainbow Dash
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-10-23 20:41:26 UTC
Fly: to operate or travel in an airplane or spacecraft
Rainbow Dash
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-10-23 20:42:21 UTC
But everyone knew that already, which is why this is a silly topic.
Milan Nantucket
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-10-23 20:58:41 UTC
Actually there is air in Eve space... how else do you explain the flames from a fire.
Phoenix Jones
The Markoni Dragons
#27 - 2013-10-23 21:08:06 UTC
Johnny Marzetti wrote:
Eve is a computer game.

Edit: your posting does give me nightmares , though


Her face gives me nightmares....

Her facts.... who the hell cares its a damn game.

Yaay!!!!

No Means No
meh fackit
#28 - 2013-10-23 21:47:25 UTC
Rainbow Dash wrote:
Fly: to operate or travel in an airplane or spacecraft


yes it can be said, i didnt even reply to other idiotic posts harassing me, but ill reply to yours cause:

to fly a ship = to pilot a ship

but the ships arent flying



Milan Nantucket wrote:
Actually there is air in Eve space... how else do you explain the flames from a fire.


lol nice one, but i guess theres oxygen already in the fuel mixture and also in the ships oxygen supply tank (i guess we breath ,... or dont we? o.O )
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#29 - 2013-10-23 21:52:54 UTC
Move thru the void peacefully.
Mark Rain
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-10-23 21:58:09 UTC
There's obviously air in Eve space, or there would be no sound. Blink


MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#31 - 2013-10-23 22:07:42 UTC
eve uses fluid dynamics... fluid is water and water is just compressed air. so yes you do fly in eve space.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Mekkimaru
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2013-10-23 22:26:01 UTC
in space, we act as submarines

were we to be able to enter a planets atmosphere, it would be more newtonian

that is to say, i would be laughing hilariously as people flew their space ships into mountains/etc for not knowing that your ship would no longer "turn on a dime"

also this is a video game, er i mean real life, so this is obviously an important topic

"What you don't get is that EvE is the most handholding, casual game ever. It is like farmville. No competition for people that want to put time in it. EvE is the most casual game of all times." - Caesarion Prime 2013

Jarod Garamonde
Sons of Seyllin
Pirate Lords of War
#33 - 2013-10-23 22:39:21 UTC
No Means No wrote:

i didnt even reply to other idiotic posts harassing me, but ill reply to yours cause:



You are not the victim. Stop trying to pass yourself off as such.
Your topics are pointless and dumb. The very sight of your avatar makes people rage.
You don't change the way you approach the forums, despite the fact that 90% of us tell you to stop.

You are not the victim. You are a troll. And not the funny kind that everyone likes, either (ie: UnsuccessfulAtEverything, Erotica1, etc)... the terrible kind that everyone hopes accidentally breaks their keyboard and loses their job so they can't afford to buy a new one.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#34 - 2013-10-23 22:40:22 UTC
Space is a liquid. We fly through this.
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#35 - 2013-10-23 22:49:27 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
I always hate it when movies and games say, "Archers, fire!" Arrows aren't fired, they were around a long time before any projectiles were propelled by igniting combustibles. You shoot it or loose an arrow.


To be fair, people likely used the word loose more than they did fire back in those days. Movies like to lie like that...

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2013-10-23 22:57:59 UTC
Here some facts.

1 - There is no light in space (needs a collision to see objects or you dont see it.)

2 - There is also no sound in space (vacum)

So no you can not fly in space. So whats the problem?

Ps this is in real life in games everything is possible.
destiny2
Decaying Rocky Odious Non Evil Stupid Inane Nobody
Sandbaggers United
#37 - 2013-10-23 23:06:53 UTC
there is so air in space, i know this because my pilot keeps farting, because in the cq their isnt a bathroom. how can something like a station be liveable without air. we need air even tho we are clones.
Khira Kitamatsu
#38 - 2013-10-23 23:12:34 UTC
No Means No wrote:
Caviar Liberta wrote:
No Means No wrote:
Khira Kitamatsu wrote:


Yeah....yeah....and I suppose our ships magically have simulated drag as well...no inertia.


The inertia is towards a ships own weight, not towards air.


Mass is how large something is. Weight is relative to the level of gravitation forces applied to the mass.

Inertia determines how much energy it takes to get this mass moving or to reverse its motion.


You are right my friend, just wanted to somehow explain to him that air wasnt a factor here.


Clearly you cannot comprehend what you read and are also a bloody idiot - so do everyone a favor and biomass.

Ponies!  We need more ponies!

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#39 - 2013-10-23 23:30:11 UTC
No Means No wrote:
So when you say "fly safe" or alike most likely you are DUMB
No.

Thread locked.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Previous page12