These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Batteries, how do they really work?

Author
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#1 - 2013-10-22 12:36:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Gregor Parud
I haven't played in a long while, just came back and found lots of stuff has changed. One of the modules that intrigue me is the battery, I can't find any useful info on any of the wikis and no one seems to know how this actually works. Since I'll be wandering around in Blood Raider space I'd really like to know how these affect stuff. If someone could point me to a hightly detailed, factual explanation on them that would be great, but answering the following questions would also work of course.

Here's the two added effects:

- Neutralizer reflect amount
- Energy leech reflect amount

On the Neutralizer reflection, I would assume that this lowers the target's lost cap but does this also mean an extra percentage of the neuted amount is actually removed from the aggressor as well. Would that second part somehow affect NPC neuting as well, in that they might stop neuting earlier?

On Energy leech, I would assume this is about NOS and would lower the amount of nossed cap from the target, but since it states "reflect" does that somehow mean it affects the aggressor as well, other than the obvious lower cap income?

Would adding more than one battery increase the reflection total or is it effectively limited to one (other than the obvious cap amount increase).
Iyokus Patrouette
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-10-22 21:10:16 UTC
How Batteries Work

your welcome.

---- Advocate for the initiation of purple coloured wormholes----

Battlingbean
Wings of the Dark Portal
#3 - 2013-10-22 21:20:02 UTC
I've wondered how they work also. There isn't much information about it.
Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2013-10-22 22:00:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Antillie Sa'Kan
What about magnets? How do they work?
Iyokus Patrouette
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-10-23 05:36:37 UTC
Magnets, oh that's easy, Magnets work off magic.

---- Advocate for the initiation of purple coloured wormholes----

Quontor Zarrkos
Island Monkeys
#6 - 2013-10-23 12:24:33 UTC
I tested some stuff with batteries on the test server with an 8 battery scorpion getting neuted. Having 8 batteries would cause 12,5*8 = 100% reflection, but it doesn't work that way. They do stack however, but it goes like 12,5% of everything is reflected, then 12,5% of the remaining 87,5% is reflected and so on until there is about 50% of the neut effect left and the other 50% is being reflected. I don't know how it works with npc's but I think it works just the same, you take a little bit less damage from the neuts. The reflecting won't matter though as the neuting from npc's is chancebased and not based upon their capacitor levels. For Nos it works the same way but it's a stronger effect, nos'ing a target with 8 large capacitor batteries has little/no effect on your or their cap. You never lose capacitor by activating your nos though.
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#7 - 2013-10-23 12:29:51 UTC
Quontor Zarrkos wrote:
I tested some stuff with batteries on the test server with an 8 battery scorpion getting neuted. Having 8 batteries would cause 12,5*8 = 100% reflection, but it doesn't work that way. They do stack however, but it goes like 12,5% of everything is reflected, then 12,5% of the remaining 87,5% is reflected and so on until there is about 50% of the neut effect left and the other 50% is being reflected. I don't know how it works with npc's but I think it works just the same, you take a little bit less damage from the neuts. The reflecting won't matter though as the neuting from npc's is chancebased and not based upon their capacitor levels. For Nos it works the same way but it's a stronger effect, nos'ing a target with 8 large capacitor batteries has little/no effect on your or their cap. You never lose capacitor by activating your nos though.

Many thanks for that, that's exactly what I wanted to know, so they work the same like resists in that they detract from the damage still done rather than adding to the resist amount. Does the reflecting also means someone neuting you loses more cap per neut cycle because of that battery?
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-10-23 12:38:11 UTC
Iyokus Patrouette wrote:
Magnets, oh that's easy, Magnets work off magic.

...oooooohhhh!

I should buy an Ishtar.

Andrew Indy
Cleaning Crew
#9 - 2013-10-25 08:13:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Andrew Indy
My understanding was that the reflected amount was taken from a aggressor.

So if you had a 12.5% reflect and some one nueted you, you get hit for 100% and they got hit for 12.5% +activation costs of the module. When I was nueting a Legion (Large battery) with a Geddon I got a message saying that some was reflected back onto my ship. NOS would most likely just result in Less Cap being given to the aggressor since there is not activation cost.

if my understanding is correct then NPCs are not effected at all since you still take 100% nuet and they don't have cap.

PS, checked the dev blog.

Quote:
Capacitor Battery edits - All capacitor batteries now also provide a defense against Energy Vampires (Nos) and Energy Neutralizer (Neut) effects. A portion of the effect is reflected back on the aggressor.

Does not mention you taking less nueting
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#10 - 2013-10-25 10:50:09 UTC
Andrew Indy wrote:
My understanding was that the reflected amount was taken from a aggressor.

So if you had a 12.5% reflect and some one nueted you, you get hit for 100% and they got hit for 12.5% +activation costs of the module. When I was nueting a Legion (Large battery) with a Geddon I got a message saying that some was reflected back onto my ship. NOS would most likely just result in Less Cap being given to the aggressor since there is not activation cost.

if my understanding is correct then NPCs are not effected at all since you still take 100% nuet and they don't have cap.

PS, checked the dev blog.

Quote:
Capacitor Battery edits - All capacitor batteries now also provide a defense against Energy Vampires (Nos) and Energy Neutralizer (Neut) effects. A portion of the effect is reflected back on the aggressor.

Does not mention you taking less nueting

Well, Quontor TESTED it so, you know, first hand knowledge and all that.