These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What to do with plenty of free power grid on a Raven?

Author
Kolmogorow
Freedom Resources
#1 - 2013-10-21 21:56:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Kolmogorow
I was mainly offline the last few months and apparently missed some changes, especially with battleships. I am particularly confused about the Raven: one high slot less and one medium slot more.

In the past (when the Raven had 8 high slots) I had a setup for mission running with 6 x cruise launchers and 2 x 425mm rails. The rails were never really useful on the Raven but the fitting worked and gave a few percent more damage and the alternatives weren't very useful either. I even had a mag stab in low and hybrid collision accelerator as rig.

Now, with one high slot less fitting a single 425mm rail and wasting low slots and rigs to support a single turret seems completely stupid. I'm thinking about replacing it with a drone link augmentor. With the 2 rail turrets less the only modules that consume significant power grid are the 6 cruise launchers, an afterburner and a large shield booster.

But now the whole fitting leaves more than 4700 PG unused (and even no CPU bottleneck). Even a x-large shield booster uses only around 400 PG more than a large one. A MWD instead of the AB gives just 700 PG more. Fitting a large smart bomb in the 7th high slots consumes a lot PG but I doubt it has a real purpose in missions. Heavy cap booster? Not sure if that is needed over ordinary cap recharge stuff.

Is there something useful I could do with the available power grid? For other battleships I'm usually low on power grid (or even need PG modules) which is why this new Raven slot layout and setup confuses me. As if the remaining PG is supposed to be consumed by some very different setup (or are there new modules I could throw the PG in?) that I just don't see...

EDIT:

Setup (for PVE) is not yet finished, but a sketch is:

[Raven, Raven PVE (No Hybrid)]
Ballistic Control System II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

100MN Afterburner II
Large Shield Booster II
EM Ward Field II
Thermic Dissipation Field II
Target Painter II
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Cap Recharger II

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Mjolnir Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
???
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I

Medium Scout Drone II x5
Light Scout Drone II x5

I want to keep the first CCC and the rigor rig. The third rig (currently hybrid collision acc.) must go away. I'm not sure how to replace it.
The Djego
Hellequin Inc.
#2 - 2013-10-21 22:07:34 UTC
For pve not so much, however if you look at torpedo fittings in pvp it makes sense.

[Raven, New Setup 1]
Damage Control II

Prototype 100MN Microwarpdrive I
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Medium Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Torpedo Launcher II, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Torpedo
Heavy Rudimentary Energy Destabilizer I

Large Core Defense Field Extender I

Hammerhead II x5
Warrior II x5

Improve discharge rigging: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=246166&find=unread

Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#3 - 2013-10-21 22:16:57 UTC
If you link your fit you will get better responses. I would however suggest not fitting a drone link. One of the changes recently makes the NPC attack your drones with a vengeance so you don't want to be sending them very far out.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-10-21 22:31:32 UTC
Cage Man wrote:
If you link your fit you will get better responses. I would however suggest not fitting a drone link. One of the changes recently makes the NPC attack your drones with a vengeance so you don't want to be sending them very far out.

My salvaging drones Really appreciate the extra 20km that drone link provides.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Kolmogorow
Freedom Resources
#5 - 2013-10-21 22:43:41 UTC
The Djego wrote:
For pve not so much, however if you look at torpedo fittings in pvp it makes sense.

... PVP setup ...

Yes, I see now, didn't think about a PVP setup for the Raven.

Cage Man wrote:

I've added a sketch of the setup to my first post. But what would you fit instead of the drone link augmentor?
stoicfaux
#6 - 2013-10-22 00:35:09 UTC
Kolmogorow wrote:

But what would you fit instead of the drone link augmentor?

For PvE, a tractor beam. Or keep the DLA for salvage drones as per Caleidascope.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#7 - 2013-10-22 02:02:34 UTC
I used a large, named, NOS, for years. It reached out 32 km if I recall, and got me some cap. Cap is life.
Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#8 - 2013-10-22 03:19:23 UTC
Something that hasn't been suggested: Auto-Targeting module for more targets locked, thats what I use when I have a free PvE high.

Btw, don't use a smartbomb in high sec space, it's just begging to be Concorded.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-10-22 03:28:27 UTC
RavenPaine wrote:
I used a large, named, NOS, for years. It reached out 32 km if I recall, and got me some cap. Cap is life.

That is what I did before LMJD came out.

Not now.

Eat dessert first!

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#10 - 2013-10-22 03:53:31 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Kolmogorow wrote:

For PvE, a tractor beam. Or keep the DLA for salvage drones as per Caleidascope.

tractor beam is what I've always used in utility highs for mission running. I am NOT slow boating over to that can that has the loot to finish the mission. or I'll use an auto targeter if I have a second utility high (okay on my mach I just use an auto targeter, but I tend not to use that on missions where I need loot, but if it does have loot I can go 1500m/s).

although the DLA for salvage drones might be worth while, although salvage prices seem pretty damn low.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-10-22 04:10:54 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
although salvage prices seem pretty damn low.

They are low because everyone and their grama Rose use salvage drones. So, no matter how busy or not you are, you come back from the mission with some salvage. Even people who did not salvage before, now can send the drones out, go get a drink, come back, pack the drones and go turn in the mission. In the end we have more salvage on the market.

Eat dessert first!

Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#12 - 2013-10-22 04:41:08 UTC
I just looked at the fit that I used to use for Anoms(mostly similar to missions) I had a Small Artillery turret in the last high slot.
Mostly to assist in the killing of the Spider Drones/Elite Frigs.

But Like you I have a HEAP of PG left over.
Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#13 - 2013-10-22 11:53:40 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
Kolmogorow wrote:

tractor beam is what I've always used in utility highs for mission running. I am NOT slow boating over to that can that has the loot to finish the mission. or I'll use an auto targeter if I have a second utility high (okay on my mach I just use an auto targeter, but I tend not to use that on missions where I need loot, but if it does have loot I can go 1500m/s).

although the DLA for salvage drones might be worth while, although salvage prices seem pretty damn low.

You guys realise that Salvage drones work faster when the wrecks are closer, due to the reduction in travel time. Same as mining drones working faster when you are right beside the asteroid.

In short if you are deciding between a Tractor beam and a DLA for Salvage drones, the Tractor Beam is the better choice.
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#14 - 2013-10-22 13:33:43 UTC
Caldari 5 wrote:

You guys realise that Salvage drones work faster when the wrecks are closer, due to the reduction in travel time. Same as mining drones working faster when you are right beside the asteroid.

In short if you are deciding between a Tractor beam and a DLA for Salvage drones, the Tractor Beam is the better choice.

The DLA is the lazier choice. Lean back and sip some sodapop (or coffee, or whatever youlike), while the little drones do all the work.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-10-22 18:19:46 UTC
Caldari 5 wrote:
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
Kolmogorow wrote:

I am trying to supplement my income. I am NOT trying to build a marauder.

Eat dessert first!

Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#16 - 2013-10-22 18:55:58 UTC
Have you tested your fit ? does it work? if you happy with the tank, just keep keep using it. I would normally fit a tractor beam so i can drag in the mission objectives when its needed. Fitting extra weapons really doesn't help that much. If you have cap issues go with a NOS, but don't rely on it as a means to save yourself. You also need to keep switching the NOS as the NPC don't give you unlimited cap per NPC.
If you haven't tested it, try it on the test server, or have some friends on standby.
ZAQQ has started making some vids on PVE ship fits, and has a pretty decent new player friendly fit for Ravens..
Kolmogorow
Freedom Resources
#17 - 2013-10-23 00:17:19 UTC
Cage Man wrote:
Have you tested your fit ? does it work? if you happy with the tank, just keep keep using it. I would normally fit a tractor beam so i can drag in the mission objectives when its needed. Fitting extra weapons really doesn't help that much. If you have cap issues go with a NOS, but don't rely on it as a means to save yourself. You also need to keep switching the NOS as the NPC don't give you unlimited cap per NPC.
If you haven't tested it, try it on the test server, or have some friends on standby.
ZAQQ has started making some vids on PVE ship fits, and has a pretty decent new player friendly fit for Ravens..

I've tested it with just one mission. The tank could be better, I think I'll replace the SBA by a third shield hardener next time. The NOS tip was interesting and I tried it. But I'm not really happy with it because there weren't many opportunities to apply it due to the limited range and the (normally) larger distance I try to keep in a Raven.

I still have the Hybrid rig plugged in because I couldn't yet decide how to replace it.

Next surprise was the Typhoon. I'm not going to open a new thread about plenty of PG on the Typh but it seems to be the same situation as with the Raven (1 high slot less, 1 med more). However, for the new Typhoon slot layout the drone link augmentor DOES make sense due to the 100 bandwidth for drones. I just tried it with 6 cruise launchers and 4 sentries (and without the three 1200mm turrets I used to fit on the Typhoon in the past) and it worked quite well.

SoldierSister
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-10-23 02:05:57 UTC
in that hi slot I fit a medium remote armor rep to rep the drones.

in the mids I would drop the cap recharge for an MJD and put a 2nd capacitor control circuit in that rig slot. And posts up the shield booster to an XL one.
Kolmogorow
Freedom Resources
#19 - 2013-10-27 15:17:00 UTC
SoldierSister wrote:
in that hi slot I fit a medium remote armor rep to rep the drones.

Ah, good tip. Will keep that in mind!

I've decided now for a missile damage rig in the free rig slot and tested the setup with Angel Extravaganza including bonus room. Worked fine with one capacitor flux coils more and one BCU less and additional shield hardener instead of the target painter. It is almost cap stable (more than 10 minutes cap with running large shield booster). This time the NOS was useful. In the bonus room I kept an Angel Malakim BS at around 15 km distance for almost until the end to suck a bit additional cap.

A drone link would have been useful as well. For some reason drones are targetted very rarely in AE. I guess I should just switch between the different options (NOS, drone link, remote armor rep, tractor beam, etc.) for the 7th high slot depending on what is best suited in a particular mission.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#20 - 2013-10-27 16:02:34 UTC
I like a Large Micro Jump Drive as a "get out of jail free" option since it can't be scrammed in missions.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.