These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ubuntu 13.04 Mixed GPUS

Author
Adara Starkiss
Argentum Holdings
#1 - 2013-10-20 22:01:46 UTC
Hey All:

I wanted to configure dual monitors to extend my desktop and use it on EVE, like I tested on windows some days ago with a nvidia GT210 (discrete). Thing is, I upgraded my system so that it handles EVE better, and this one came with an onboard ATI (powered by the A8-5600K APU). I tried first with the Gallium driver to no avail, so I installed the propietary drivers and came upon this stupid issue in which it recognizes both monitors but wont let me decide which is first monitor, no matter which order I choose for them in the Catalyst (admin mode) software.

NO matter what I did, it would always pick my 17" VGA monitor as the #1, and the my LCD 32" HDTV as 2nd. So, since I have that Geforce GT210 laying around from my old system I was thinking on putting them both together, but would like to know if anyone else has tried using both the built in ATI APU and an external from other brand (nvidia, matrox, dont think theres any other brand of some quality).

Im not looking for SLI or Crossfire, just to turn on the 2nd monitor, extend the desktop so that I can use both (the 17" is way smaller, but I already tested it on windows on my super crappy computer and it was useful to have some windows on the small monitor.

Has anyone tried this?

I guess that if I have no other choice I'll go get another discrete GPU (ati), but It would be better money wise to just reuse what I have (On the other hand, a 2nd ATI would probaby allow me to extend it to 4 monitors.... who knows....., seriously, anyone has this for same client?)

Appreciate your input and comments....

Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 64bit // Amd A8-5600K with RX460 4GB // 6GB DDR3 // Sandisk 120GB SSD Plus // Wine Stable 2.01 // Native Linux Launcher // TS3 working // Happy to be back in Ubuntu :)

Kismeteer
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2013-10-21 22:06:04 UTC
This sounds like a typical video driver problem, you might have better luck surfing their boards instead of here, just because it's going to be more common over there. Best of luck.
Adara Starkiss
Argentum Holdings
#3 - 2013-10-22 16:26:10 UTC
Do u know if theres a way to disable desktop effects? I used to do it in Maverick and EVE would perform better....

Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 64bit // Amd A8-5600K with RX460 4GB // 6GB DDR3 // Sandisk 120GB SSD Plus // Wine Stable 2.01 // Native Linux Launcher // TS3 working // Happy to be back in Ubuntu :)

COMM4NDER
Legendary Umbrellas
#4 - 2013-10-22 22:46:56 UTC
Adara Starkiss wrote:
Do u know if theres a way to disable desktop effects? I used to do it in Maverick and EVE would perform better....

With unity I dont think you really can do that. Check the compiz plugin if there are any settings, but I dont think that it will end good by disabling compositing.

Only DE i know that switches still is KDE but on nVidia there about 8fps difference and on AMD about 20ish last time I tried.

[url=https://github.com/CommanderAlchemy/.bin/blob/master/eve] EVE - Online Launcher [Linux] [/url] Installs, launches character prefixes (both SISI & Tranquility). Simplescreenrecorder shm inject

Greg Arosa
Sebiestor Tribe
#5 - 2013-10-23 13:24:14 UTC
The sad reality of linux is that in most cases you can't have gpus from different manufacturers working together properly. The only way to do that is to use open source drivers, which suck when in comes to gaming.

So, if you wanna use nvidia card to play EVE, you should install the proprietary nvidia drivers and the open sources one for your ati. This way you probably won't have 3d acceleration on your ati card (achieving it requires non trivial hacks), but nvidia will be in a working state.