These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Integration of Bastion Module and Deployable Structures

Author
Jackson Utrigas
Control Spacebar
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#1 - 2013-10-19 16:03:32 UTC
Allowing the bastion module to have some effect on deployable structures could have a positive effect on both structures and marauders.

Here is something along the lines of what I have in mind:

Player deploys structure, which has its base stats and uses.

Player then activates bastion module within some set distance of the deployed structure.

Structure is then enhanced in different ways such as more tank (higher resists possibly).

Structure abilities are enhanced:
For example, a player could enhance a siphon structure to steal more materials from a POS and be more efficient with materials stolen.
I believe CCP also discussed a structure that would tractor in wrecks. This bastion enhanced structure could gain a boost to tractor speed and range.

As I see it, this bastion effect on deployable structures would have the following effects on the game:
1) Encourage players to live in their space with the rewards of bastion enhanced structures. I think the structures idea is great, but as is, structures like siphon might become drop and forget. Players could get really involved in the operation of their devices.
2) Drive conflict. POS owners would be more likely to have online guns and patrols to prevent this active mode of stealing resources. In addition, bonus rewards mean that looters are more likely to be on at the siphon module, which could allow for fights to develop on the modules themselves.
3) Bring marauders into an additional use. This would allow marauder pilots to become involved in all sorts of new, not necessarily combat roles.

In addition, CCP could build off of this feature in future content releases to keep both marauders and structures an active part of the game with all new structures having a bastion enhanced mode of operation.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for any spelling errors or other mistakes. Typed on phone.
Jackson Utrigas
Control Spacebar
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#2 - 2013-10-20 13:13:58 UTC
So for the other two types of deployables (Depot and Cyno Jammer) bastion could have the follow effects:

Depot - Improved resistances and additional range on the ship refitting service in space. This could allow depots to creep into pvp use as well.

Cyno Jammer - Improved resistances and additional range on the jamming capability.

Two futher thoughts I'd like to add to the idea on the whole:
1) Multiple marauders could each add more to the bonus using EVE's diminishing returns format.

2) This sort of connection between bastion and structures would bring marauders back to something more like included in the ship descriptions:

"Geared toward versatility and prolonged deployment in hostile environments, Marauders represent the cutting edge in today's warship technology. While especially effective at support suppression and wreckage salvaging, they possess comparatively weak sensor strength and may find themselves at increased risk of sensor jamming. Nevertheless, these thick-skinned, hard-hitting monsters are the perfect ships to take on long trips behind enemy lines."

Most especially, this connection would tie into the bit of the description involving a prolonged deployment in hostile environments.