These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Getting newbies out of their comfort zone

First post
Author
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2013-10-19 22:06:21 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:

OP,

What are the benefits of getting more players out of NPC corps?

Sounds like someone needs to HTFU and gank people without worrying about concord.

I'm failing miserably to see the connection between my comment and yours.

I'm saying the OP might be lamenting about the lack of targets. Sorry that wasn't directed at you.

So, you were making assumptions about my intentions and in turn, misrepresenting my position by misunderstanding, ignoring or failing to read the OP?

GD in a nutshell. Don't worry, I'm not surprised, but you should really take a look at my killboard. It's not great, but on closer inspection you'll see that I'm not concerned about CONCORD myself.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#62 - 2013-10-19 22:07:15 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Honestly, clearing up common misconceptions about corps / alliances / lowsec / nullsec would go much further in persuading people to participate than any mechanic changes. It would also be much more difficult than implementing any possible mechanic change.

While I have another two pages to get through so far, you seem to be one of the few people capable of understanding the difference between 'discussion' and 'attack'. Thanks for your maturity, and you have a very valid point.

As for the other comments... Why do I care? That's a good question.

Why shouldn't I care, and why don't you?

This isn't about making people play the way I want them to. This is about encouraging them to take more control of their own game so they quit moaning about getting beat down by more experienced players. You can have a 'solo' 50 mil SP player that's never left an NPC corp and still not know as much as a 10mil SP player that's been in RvB for a month.

And then you start clogging up the forums with "I got ganked" or "this isn't fair!" posts because you think the game is something it's not, and you start making silly comparisons to SC and WOW, and post "EVE is dying" threads that make no sense.

I posted for a mature discussion around the issue. I understand that's difficult for some people, but like I said, I'm still only on the first page at this stage and have more to read, but I have a good feeling I won't see much better than I've seen already, although I have a fair idea of who I'm most likely to get some actual discussion from.

To the whelps that want to rage at me, instead of being butthurt about new ideas and change, why don't you contribute an idea of your own? And if I see a thread pop up titled "I can't wardec this guy that ganked me because he's in an NPC corp" whine thread pop up after all that crankiness on page one, I'm going to troll it so hard then send the ganker a message of congratulations.

So many words and you won't adress the crux:

What makes you think that people will pay for the privilege of being dragged forcibly outside of their comfort zone?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#63 - 2013-10-19 22:10:10 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:

OP,

Sounds like someone needs to HTFU and gank people without worrying about concord.

No, this is a fair question and one I feel should be addressed. As far as I know, there are none for the new players, none that they are immediately aware of, and that's the problem that we're discussing here. "What they don't know won't hurt them," right?

Even if new players are just starting their own corps, they are stepping into the PVP environment as it was intended. They can set their own corp tax rates, create their own stations, declare war on their rivals, amongst other things.

Staying in a starter NPC corp can really only end in stagnation. Even if the player plays the game for years in that state, it is still stagnation. No matter how much isk they earn, it is still stagnation. They are not developing as EVE players, they are not developing in the community, and they are basically just NPCs themselves by virtue of that.

I love EVE, and believe it or not, I actually really care about the experience of other players. The last thing I want is to scare them away or make them feel excluded, though, which is why I'm trying to encourage a mature discussion about how best to include them in the community and make their experience better for it.

I would also like to point out that many people in NPC corps are veterans who for whatever reason don't want to deal with having a player run corp (awoxing and corp theft come to mind).

Often these veterans are the only people who interact with the newbies and give them advice. So its a kind of circular kind of thinking.

Actually I know a lose base of players who congregate on a team speak server that I frequent who interact all the time, but yet chose to either remain in NPC corps or their one man corps. Mostly because even though we know each other, some of us have a bad habbit of cleaning out the corp wallet and corp hanger so none of us trust each other that much. We are willing to run missions, mining ops, and sometimes go to low or null for poops and giggles.

That said, I heard the NPC corp Center for Advance studies runs null sec roams. And I know a few gankers who hang out in NPC corps.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2013-10-19 22:10:13 UTC
Weiland Taur wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Perhaps a way of shaking people out of npc Corps would be for them to randomly wardec other npc corps based on points of lore as written about in the chronicles. Npc corps attacking each other would be awesome and if it happens often enough it might make people uncomfortable enough to leave. I would further add that the restrictions on player corps wardeccing npc corps should remain in place to protect noobs a little bit.

This idea would encourage pvp between noobs and teach them about the dynamic nature of eve online, whilst still protecting them from grief play. Nowhere should be totally safe. with a little bit of thought to avoid abuses this could work well.

A lot of people seem distressed by this idea, and I can understand why. A friend of mine were just discussing on Mumble perhaps a dynamic inter-NPC corp wardec system that new players who reach a certain skill point level are invited to participate in, but then we also feel such a thing would be redundant next to FW. On the other hand, FW isn't incredibly newb-friendly.

I think encouraging new players to PVP really needs to come from other players rather than generic NPC scripts, though. But I'm not just talking about PVP, I'm talking about interaction in general. New players can't learn that virtually every aspect of EVE is PVP without that interaction.

I think you betray your true premise here. You want an EVE where everyone engages in the simpliest form of pvp, the kind where ships shoot each other and ships blow up. That's fine but please just come out and admit it. What you are missing is that the beauty of eve is the pvp takes so many different forms. From miners hustling rocks to mega traders who control entire aspects of the market without ever undocking, the game is and will always be, player vs. player, regardless of where they park their pod. You can't avoid interaction in Eve. It's impossible. Even if you never speak, never post, never undock, someone can reach and via their actions, impact your decisions. That is the beauty of the ecosystem.

Nope, I think you're 'seeing' a premise that doesn't exist. This is called 'hallucinating'. I have posted comments here already that have made it clear I am aware that PVP combat is not the only kind of PVP. Instead of seeing what you want to see, try seeing what is actually there. I don't say anything I don't intend and there is nothing I intend that I do not say.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2013-10-19 22:11:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Why does it double post me when I push "Edit"? This is not the first time this has happened to me either What?

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#66 - 2013-10-19 22:12:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Tardbar
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:

OP,

I'm failing miserably to see the connection between my comment and yours.

I'm saying the OP might be lamenting about the lack of targets. Sorry that wasn't directed at you.

So, you were making assumptions about my intentions and in turn, misrepresenting my position by misunderstanding, ignoring or failing to read the OP?

GD in a nutshell. Don't worry, I'm not surprised, but you should really take a look at my killboard. It's not great, but on closer inspection you'll see that I'm not concerned about CONCORD myself.

To be fair, I didn't read your post. Its just normally when someone laments NPC corps they lament the lack of targets.

If you want to really give the players a better experience, why not put an alt into NPC corp and recruit people? I knew a guy that ran a newb corp that did that. He would go into starter systems as well and spam local. He had an army of noobs at his command. Sadly his wife made him quit so the organization fell apart.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2013-10-19 22:12:45 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Honestly, clearing up common misconceptions about corps / alliances / lowsec / nullsec would go much further in persuading people to participate than any mechanic changes. It would also be much more difficult than implementing any possible mechanic change.

While I have another two pages to get through so far, you seem to be one of the few people capable of understanding the difference between 'discussion' and 'attack'. Thanks for your maturity, and you have a very valid point.

This isn't about making people play the way I want them to. This is about encouraging them to take more control of their own game so they quit moaning about getting beat down by more experienced players. You can have a 'solo' 50 mil SP player that's never left an NPC corp and still not know as much as a 10mil SP player that's been in RvB for a month.

And then you start clogging up the forums with "I got ganked" or "this isn't fair!" posts because you think the game is something it's not, and you start making silly comparisons to SC and WOW, and post "EVE is dying" threads that make no sense.

I posted for a mature discussion around the issue. I understand that's difficult for some people, but like I said, I'm still only on the first page at this stage and have more to read, but I have a good feeling I won't see much better than I've seen already, although I have a fair idea of who I'm most likely to get some actual discussion from.

To the whelps that want to rage at me, instead of being butthurt about new ideas and change, why don't you contribute an idea of your own? And if I see a thread pop up titled "I can't wardec this guy that ganked me because he's in an NPC corp" whine thread pop up after all that crankiness on page one, I'm going to troll it so hard then send the ganker a message of congratulations.

What makes you think that people will pay for the privilege of being dragged forcibly outside of their comfort zone?

I have actually addressed that, in the OP. If you failed to read it, or misunderstood it, please read it again. If you still don't understand, let me know and I will clarify.

Here's a hint, though, a question if you will to mirror your own, and hopefully provide that clarity with a little more simplicity.

Why do people pay to go sky diving, or bungie jumping?

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#68 - 2013-10-19 22:13:24 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
The issue is that if you want poeople out of NPC corps, YOU must take the initative and find these players and invite them to PVP corps, show them fits, and take them on roams.

People aren't going to magically start PVPing if they don't know anything about it.

pubbie fleets though. there are decent, noob friendly ones, a list went up on GD a while ago. i've been out with bomber's bar a few times now and I LOVE IT. you get to do bomb runs, hot drops and all that cool stuff. whore on some killmails etc.

but yeah you just need an FC who can tolerate your complete lack of ability and gets a kick out of doing it.

forums.  serious business.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2013-10-19 22:19:07 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

To be fair, I didn't read your post. Its just normally when someone laments NPC corps they lament the lack of targets.

If you want to really give the players a better experience, why not put an alt into NPC corp and recruit people? I knew a guy that ran a newb corp that did that. He would go into starter systems as well and spam local. He had an army of noobs at his command. Sadly his wife made him quit so the organization fell apart.

This is a good idea, a practical idea that I like. I don't multibox myself, so my own options are limited in this regard, but I can see how it would work for others.

And please, in future, read posts before even considering yourself qualified to comment. Anything else is jumping to conclusions, even if your conclusion is correct. At least you have the decency to admit it and take a step back though, cheers, I appreciate that.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#70 - 2013-10-19 22:28:55 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:

I have actually addressed that, in the OP. If you failed to read it, or misunderstood it, please read it again. If you still don't understand, let me know and I will clarify.

Here's a hint, though, a question if you will to mirror your own, and hopefully provide that clarity with a little more simplicity.

Why do people pay to go sky diving, or bungie jumping?

Maybe you should tell us at which point they dragged you to an airplane and dropped you from it against your will so you enjoyed learning to sky dive.

Your whole point is that you enjoyed leaving a NPC corp on your own, and thus you ask us for ways to encourage others albeit nobody encouraged you... and all your means imply forcing people out of NPC corps by damaging their comfort zone.

In a mature way: the existing positive incentives in favor of player corporations are strong enough and so there are not needed more positive incentives, thus the only way to further encourage leaving NPC corps is through negative incentives, which double as incentives to leave the game and thus defeat the whole intent.

Advice: leave the new players alone with their comfort zones.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#71 - 2013-10-19 22:35:38 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
And please, in future, read posts before even considering yourself qualified to comment. Anything else is jumping to conclusions, even if your conclusion is correct. At least you have the decency to admit it and take a step back though, cheers, I appreciate that.

Sorry, but I'm a professional troll on some nights. Others I am sane and logical. Sometimes I am both.

I've gotten a few threads locked. Though I have never been banned or warned.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2013-10-19 22:38:30 UTC

Maybe you should tell us at which point they dragged you to an airplane and dropped you from it against your will so you enjoyed learning to sky dive.

Wow, someone else that hasn't read the OP? Why am I not surprised. Maybe you should point out, after reading ALL the words, the part where I suggested the forced removal of players from NPC corps without pointing out the flaws and why I think it's a bad idea, and then point to the part where I suggested anything other than the ENCOURAGEMENT of new players to get into player run corporations. Until you understand the entirety of what I'm suggesting, and the purpose of a discussion, be it dialectic or otherwise, you are offering nothing constructive.

Quote:
Your whole point is that you enjoyed leaving a NPC corp on your own, and thus you ask us for ways to encourage others albeit nobody encouraged you... and all your means imply forcing people out of NPC corps by damaging their comfort zone.

That's not my entire point at all. Again, read the post, the whole thing. Yes, all the means that I stated I discussed with associates are rather forceful. That is why I stated, in the OP, THAT WE DON'T LIKE THEM, and why I'm asking for discussion.

Are we getting a clue yet?

Quote:
In a mature way: the existing positive incentives in favor of player corporations are strong enough and so there are not needed more positive incentives, thus the only way to further encourage leaving NPC corps is through negative incentives, which double as incentives to leave the game and thus defeat the whole intent.

"Comfort zone" is perhaps a misnomer for an NPC corp. New players that never get out of one can still be ganked, can still be baited, and can still PVP. Tell me how they learn to avoid that and/or fight back effectively while persisting in the mostly stagnant environment and then you'll be an actual part of a constructive discussion, instead of a negative nancy who seems to think "leave them alone" is an effective solution when you know damn well the chances of them being left alone in game by gankers and what have you are slim to none.

So far, some people have put some good points forward, like veterans or alts in NPC corps to help out. You've brought nothing but criticism of ideas that I've already criticised myself.

Angeal MacNova
Holefood Inc.
Warriors of the Blood God
#73 - 2013-10-19 22:38:44 UTC
certainly an interesting topic to see,

With regards to the suggestions made in the OP, the tax one would simply fail. The biggest reason is, although a large chunk of the profit to mission running comes from bounties, there is another large chunk that comes from looting and salvaging the wrecks. Plus LP conversion.

The other idea for players to transfer to a special npc corp is a better idea than you give credit for. Each race would get one and you are transferred to your own race's npc corp. These npc corps still wouldn't be able to be war dec'ed by player corps/allies but instead, they would be in a constant 4-way war with each other.

Being in one wouldn't automatically make you an enemy with the other faction's navies, so you can still roam around and work for other agents.

The biggest problem is that, unless it has changed, you start the game and start with the tutorial missions. Eventually you end up doing a mission where some pirate npc talks to you and offers riches if you go work for the pirate factions.

So what does a new player do? Set a course, and is lucky to even make it as far as null without getting blown up by another player.

How much they think "**** that" and work out of hi-sec?

This game as a steep enough learning curve for better or worse (though we would like to think it's for the better). Even if they try to ease into it...well, there is no easing into it. The moment you cross from .5 to .4, you just jumped into the deep end.

Hell, I wonder how many new players quit after being isk scammed or join a corp that said they would help them out only to be baited instead?

I think it would be better if hi-sec meant .1 to 1.0 and low-sec meant -.1 to -1.0. Make the sec status mean more than what it currently does. Allow people to increase the risk level incrementally.

Hell, I can only imagine how many more people would be more comfortable to put themselves into riskier situations if they felt more sure of themselves. Allow them to do so. Look at dueling. Nice thought but leave it to CCP to make it 'to the death'. On top of that, someone you duel can bring in a logi alt. Nothing stopping interference, at which the point of dueling is completely lost.

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/goodnight-sweet-prince/

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/the-untold-story/

CCP's true, butthurt, colors.

Because those who can't do themselves keep others from doing too.

Weiland Taur
The Icarus Expedition
Solyaris Chtonium
#74 - 2013-10-19 22:52:11 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

Wow, someone else that hasn't read the OP? Why am I not surprised. Maybe you should point out, after reading ALL the words, the part where I suggested the forced removal of players from NPC corps without pointing out the flaws and why I think it's a bad idea, and then point to the part where I suggested anything other than the ENCOURAGEMENT of new players to get into player run corporations. Until you understand the entirety of what I'm suggesting, and the purpose of a discussion, be it dialectic or otherwise, you are offering nothing constructive.

Quote:

That's not my entire point at all. Again, read the post, the whole thing. Yes, all the means that I stated I discussed with associates are rather forceful. That is why I stated, in the OP, THAT WE DON'T LIKE THEM, and why I'm asking for discussion.

Are we getting a clue yet?

Quote:

"Comfort zone" is perhaps a misnomer for an NPC corp. New players that never get out of one can still be ganked, can still be baited, and can still PVP. Tell me how they learn to avoid that and/or fight back effectively while persisting in the mostly stagnant environment and then you'll be an actual part of a constructive discussion, instead of a negative nancy who seems to think "leave them alone" is an effective solution when you know damn well the chances of them being left alone in game by gankers and what have you are slim to none.

So far, some people have put some good points forward, like veterans or alts in NPC corps to help out. You've brought nothing but criticism of ideas that I've already criticised myself.

To answer what must be the only relevant question in this thread, you ask them. You simply use the mechanics like everyone else does and you advertise and you say, "hello, come and play with me." It works. Has always worked and will always work. We are all proof.
Dorian Wylde
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#75 - 2013-10-19 23:25:22 UTC
Good luck with coming up with any incentive to make yourself vulnerable to wardecs.

11% tax rate isn't enough to get people out of npc corps, about the only way to do it is completely ruin the experience. We already have to deal with no-life suicide gankers, opening up to war targets just isn't going to happen for a lot of players.

And don't talk about comfort zones as if it's just hi sec. You want to talk comfort zones, go look at the resource siphon discussion thread. Lets talk about how to get the null sec empire carebears out of their comfort zones.
polly papercut
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#76 - 2013-10-19 23:25:24 UTC
Coming from someone that just moved out to null.
Nothing other than my self made me make that move.
There is noone or nothing that could have forced me into it.

I made my choice I am happy I did. I like it better than the hisec life.
How ever post like this that make you seem desperate for targets is what made me take so long to make the jump.
Hi sec if fine the way it is the pay isn't super great and there are still plenty of griefers and gankers to make it unsafe.

Offer more benefits to null and low keep hisec the same.
LVL 4 Missions are not the problem as I make much more per tick doing anoms or complexes.
And they are just as easy as a LVL 4 Mission is.

Stop being desperate for targets and people might be more easy about going to null
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2013-10-19 23:33:11 UTC
Dorian Wylde wrote:
Good luck with coming up with any incentive to make yourself vulnerable to wardecs.

11% tax rate isn't enough to get people out of npc corps, about the only way to do it is completely ruin the experience. We already have to deal with no-life suicide gankers, opening up to war targets just isn't going to happen for a lot of players.

And don't talk about comfort zones as if it's just hi sec. You want to talk comfort zones, go look at the resource siphon discussion thread. Lets talk about how to get the null sec empire carebears out of their comfort zones.

Pay attention, because I'm only going over this once more for your advantage. I never mentioned high sec, not once. I never mentioned low or nul. I am talking about NPC corporations. I didn't talk about comfort zones as if it was just high sec, you're the one assuming that I did.

And please qualify your assertion that suicide gankers have no life. I'm detecting an unreasonable amount of hostility and butthurt from you that may be clouding your ability to form rational thoughts and participate in reasonable discussion.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#78 - 2013-10-19 23:35:02 UTC
polly papercut wrote:
Coming from someone that just moved out to null.
Nothing other than my self made me make that move.
There is noone or nothing that could have forced me into it.

I made my choice I am happy I did. I like it better than the hisec life.
How ever post like this that make you seem desperate for targets is what made me take so long to make the jump.
Hi sec if fine the way it is the pay isn't super great and there are still plenty of griefers and gankers to make it unsafe.

Offer more benefits to null and low keep hisec the same.
LVL 4 Missions are not the problem as I make much more per tick doing anoms or complexes.
And they are just as easy as a LVL 4 Mission is.

Stop being desperate for targets and people might be more easy about going to null

First, please re-read the thread. Then, please indicate the part where I alluded to wanting more targets. When you can't find it, apologise, and I may be able to take you seriously.

Again, this isn't about high/low/nul. I've seen plenty of players in NPC corps ratting in Providence during my time there. The topic is NPC corps, not security status. Despite the opinion of some of the commentary, this is not a "nerf high sec" thread.

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#79 - 2013-10-19 23:40:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Skeln Thargensen
it doesn't help to have players feel like they have to be in an player corp though. if they're carebearing in an NPC corp they'll just join a carebear corp and have no one to show them other aspects of the game.

at least in an NPC corp they are free to try out all manner of gameplay styles without their individual behaviour impacting the group as a whole which is really the value of them.

forums.  serious business.

Good Posting
Doomheim
#80 - 2013-10-19 23:41:22 UTC
Doc Severide wrote:
My first thought is Mind Your Own Business and leave people alone to play how THEY want to.

But as someone who spends most of their time in an NPC Corp I have answers... I avoid taxes easily. I have my main(s) in my own corp and pay none. I have this and a few other alts to hang out in various NPC chats so I can interact a little with others.

I simply have no interest in player corps and can play just fine on my own. I refuse to jump through the fire just to APPLY to get into a corp. API, 100 questions, a blood test, semen samples, etc, etc, etc.
Oh, but I wont ever get into a "good" corp without all that. I don't care, I don't want to get in a corp. I'm not interested in playing with melodramatic jerks making demands on my playing time.

NOTHING CCP does will force me out of an NPC corp. I will quit first...so MYOB...

Spoken well! Damn, this is good posting.