These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Getting newbies out of their comfort zone

First post
Author
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#41 - 2013-10-19 17:42:22 UTC
The empires are losing their grasp on power

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2013-10-19 19:26:26 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Honestly, clearing up common misconceptions about corps / alliances / lowsec / nullsec would go much further in persuading people to participate than any mechanic changes. It would also be much more difficult than implementing any possible mechanic change.

While I have another two pages to get through so far, you seem to be one of the few people capable of understanding the difference between 'discussion' and 'attack'. Thanks for your maturity, and you have a very valid point.

As for the other comments... Why do I care? That's a good question.

Why shouldn't I care, and why don't you?

This isn't about making people play the way I want them to. This is about encouraging them to take more control of their own game so they quit moaning about getting beat down by more experienced players. You can have a 'solo' 50 mil SP player that's never left an NPC corp and still not know as much as a 10mil SP player that's been in RvB for a month.

And then you start clogging up the forums with "I got ganked" or "this isn't fair!" posts because you think the game is something it's not, and you start making silly comparisons to SC and WOW, and post "EVE is dying" threads that make no sense.

I posted for a mature discussion around the issue. I understand that's difficult for some people, but like I said, I'm still only on the first page at this stage and have more to read, but I have a good feeling I won't see much better than I've seen already, although I have a fair idea of who I'm most likely to get some actual discussion from.

To the whelps that want to rage at me, instead of being butthurt about new ideas and change, why don't you contribute an idea of your own? And if I see a thread pop up titled "I can't wardec this guy that ganked me because he's in an NPC corp" whine thread pop up after all that crankiness on page one, I'm going to troll it so hard then send the ganker a message of congratulations.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Joia Crenca
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#43 - 2013-10-19 19:33:25 UTC
You're still promoting a change to EVE that would push many of the subscribers out of the game. They made a choice not to be a part of a Player Corp. Punishing them for that won't cause them to seek other options in the game, it'll just bleed CCP financially. On the other hand, perhaps it would encourage another company to make an EVE competitor to attract the former EVE crowd. (I don't think Star Trek Online quite counts, does it?)
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2013-10-19 19:36:11 UTC
Joia Crenca wrote:
You're still promoting a change to EVE that would push many of the subscribers out of the game. They made a choice not to be a part of a Player Corp. Punishing them for that won't cause them to seek other options in the game, it'll just bleed CCP financially. On the other hand, perhaps it would encourage another company to make an EVE competitor to attract the former EVE crowd. (I don't think Star Trek Online quite counts, does it?)

Where am I promoting anything? I don't think anyone has actually read the OP, because I'm not promoting anything. I suggested a few ideas to encourage discussion, noted how we thought they were not very good, and prompted GD to offer their opinion. Clearly, everyone seems to think I'm up for forcing players out of NPC corps, but if you read my entire OP, you shouldn't really be thinking that at all.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2013-10-19 19:37:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Remiel Pollard wrote:

But we don't really like either of these ideas, even though they have their pros, mostly because they don't really address the problem of the difficulty a new player may have in joining a corp without being made immediately aware of new-player-friendly corps like Brave Newbies, EVE Uni or RvB and they [the ideas] don't really encourage inclusiveness. Nor do they address the paranoia that a new applicant might be faced with if trying to join a corporation that is perhaps a little elitist, and they don't directly address the "I'm going to play an MMO solo" attitude that many such players that remain in NPC corps are often afflicted by.

We've had other ideas, but none worth mentioning for the time being. We do feel, however, that more can be done with a little thought and discussion, and we also feel that more needs to be done. In any case, I'd like to reopen this discussion again and gather the thoughts of respected GD regulars on the matter. I know being a very socially awkward person myself that one of the hardest things in this game for me was getting involved with the right group of people, which after much hassle and discomfort, I finally managed to do. I've never felt more like part of the game, and part of the community, than I have with the guys and girls I fly with now.

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#46 - 2013-10-19 20:29:07 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
I'm about to go to bed, so I won't be around for a few hours to see or respond to immediate replies to this thread, but I would like to see some discussion about encouraging players to leave NPC corps. I know this discussion has occurred before, but it seems to have fallen off the radar, and a conversation with some associates of mine has sparked a few ideas that I think we can hash out and debug.

For one, we talked about a more in-your-face approach by CCP by way of perhaps a set of NPC corporations that new players will 'graduate' to when they hit a certain number of SP, or by some other grading measure. When they hit this 'level' they are bumped out of whatever starter corporation they were in into the new one, which is subject to the same war declaration mechanics as a player run corporation. We understand that there are a few flaws with this idea, such as the wide range of corporations that would automatically wardec such corporations if they were to be introduced.

So, another idea we talked about was perhaps an incremental increase in tax rates for players that remain in NPC corporations for extended periods of time. For example, tack on an extra 5% a week or something with a notification to the player stating that joining a player-run corporation with lower tax rates would improve their income.

But we don't really like either of these ideas, even thought they have their pros, mostly because they don't really address the problem of the difficulty a new player may have in joining a corp without being made immediately aware of new-player-friendly corps like Brave Newbies, EVE Uni or RvB and they don't really encourage inclusiveness. Nor do they address the paranoia that a new applicant might be faced with if trying to join a corporation that is perhaps a little elitist, and they don't directly address the "I'm going to play an MMO solo" attitude that many such players that remain in NPC corps are often afflicted by.

We've had other ideas, but none worth mentioning for the time being. We do feel, however, that more can be done with a little thought and discussion, and we also feel that more needs to be done. In any case, I'd like to reopen this discussion again and gather the thoughts of respected GD regulars on the matter. I know being a very socially awkward person myself that one of the hardest things in this game for me was getting involved with the right group of people, which after much hassle and discomfort, I finally managed to do. I've never felt more like part of the game, and part of the community, than I have with the guys and girls I fly with now.

ever thought about some people want to stay in the NPC corp because the NPCs are more human then you guys?
Digits Kho
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2013-10-19 20:45:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Digits Kho
Remiel Pollard wrote:
I'm about to go to bed, so I won't be around for a few hours to see or respond to immediate replies to this thread, but I would like to see some discussion about encouraging players to leave NPC corps. I know this discussion has occurred before, but it seems to have fallen off the radar, and a conversation with some associates of mine has sparked a few ideas that I think we can hash out and debug.

For one, we talked about a more in-your-face approach by CCP by way of perhaps a set of NPC corporations that new players will 'graduate' to when they hit a certain number of SP, or by some other grading measure. When they hit this 'level' they are bumped out of whatever starter corporation they were in into the new one, which is subject to the same war declaration mechanics as a player run corporation. We understand that there are a few flaws with this idea, such as the wide range of corporations that would automatically wardec such corporations if they were to be introduced.

So, another idea we talked about was perhaps an incremental increase in tax rates for players that remain in NPC corporations for extended periods of time. For example, tack on an extra 5% a week or something with a notification to the player stating that joining a player-run corporation with lower tax rates would improve their income.

But we don't really like either of these ideas, even thought they have their pros, mostly because they don't really address the problem of the difficulty a new player may have in joining a corp without being made immediately aware of new-player-friendly corps like Brave Newbies, EVE Uni or RvB and they don't really encourage inclusiveness. Nor do they address the paranoia that a new applicant might be faced with if trying to join a corporation that is perhaps a little elitist, and they don't directly address the "I'm going to play an MMO solo" attitude that many such players that remain in NPC corps are often afflicted by.

"Grr cant wardec newbs"

Harry Forever wrote:
ever thought about some people want to stay in the NPC corp because the NPCs are more human then you guys?

"grrr gona go punish a cyno"
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-10-19 20:58:23 UTC
Digits Kho wrote:

"Grr cant wardec newbs"

Reread the post, every word of it, then explain how you made that connection.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#49 - 2013-10-19 21:34:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Tardbar
Pffft. Its easy. You invite the newbie to your teamspeak, mumble, vent server and once you get to know him. Fleet him, give him 10 million isk to fit a whatever ship he can afford and take him to lowsec with you as FC.

Sure you might not kill anything, but the experience will get them hooked.

I mean if you pay for his ship this tells them you aren't out to blow him up for craps and giggles. If it blows up in lowsec then no harm no foul since you bankrolled him. Once he gets a taste he'll start paying for his own ships and there you go.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#50 - 2013-10-19 21:42:19 UTC
Perhaps a way of shaking people out of npc Corps would be for them to randomly wardec other npc corps based on points of lore as written about in the chronicles. Npc corps attacking each other would be awesome and if it happens often enough it might make people uncomfortable enough to leave. I would further add that the restrictions on player corps wardeccing npc corps should remain in place to protect noobs a little bit.

This idea would encourage pvp between noobs and teach them about the dynamic nature of eve online, whilst still protecting them from grief play. Nowhere should be totally safe. with a little bit of thought to avoid abuses this could work well.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Anslo
Scope Works
#51 - 2013-10-19 21:48:18 UTC
Yeah no. We Pvp on our own terms. Keep your war decs and htfu.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#52 - 2013-10-19 21:48:38 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Perhaps a way of shaking people out of npc Corps would be for them to randomly wardec other npc corps based on points of lore as written about in the chronicles. Npc corps attacking each other would be awesome and if it happens often enough it might make people uncomfortable enough to leave. I would further add that the restrictions on player corps wardeccing npc corps should remain in place to protect noobs a little bit.

This idea would encourage pvp between noobs and teach them about the dynamic nature of eve online, whilst still protecting them from grief play. Nowhere should be totally safe. with a little bit of thought to avoid abuses this could work well.

Nope that will only teach people not to undock.

That or teach them to create one man throw away corps to be remade everytime they are war decced.

I suppose you are about to suggest a button on your screen that forces people to undock?

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Weiland Taur
The Icarus Expedition
Solyaris Chtonium
#53 - 2013-10-19 21:53:36 UTC

OP,

What are the benefits of getting more players out of NPC corps?
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#54 - 2013-10-19 21:55:21 UTC
Weiland Taur wrote:

OP,

Sounds like someone needs to HTFU and gank people without worrying about concord.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2013-10-19 21:56:20 UTC

A lot of people seem distressed by this idea, and I can understand why. A friend of mine were just discussing on Mumble perhaps a dynamic inter-NPC corp wardec system that new players who reach a certain skill point level are invited to participate in, but then we also feel such a thing would be redundant next to FW. On the other hand, FW isn't incredibly newb-friendly.

I think encouraging new players to PVP really needs to come from other players rather than generic NPC scripts, though. But I'm not just talking about PVP, I'm talking about interaction in general. New players can't learn that virtually every aspect of EVE is PVP without that interaction.

Weiland Taur
The Icarus Expedition
Solyaris Chtonium
#56 - 2013-10-19 21:58:56 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:

OP,

Sounds like someone needs to HTFU and gank people without worrying about concord.

I'm failing miserably to see the connection between my comment and yours.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#57 - 2013-10-19 22:02:22 UTC
Ok here is the deal. In order to have fun in PVP you need to succeed in PVP. In order to succeed in PVP you must know something about PVP. In order to know something about PVP someone has to show you how to PVP. In order for someone to show you how to PVP you have to know other people who does PVP.

This means there has to be someone willing to teach newbies how to PVP. You can't just throw people ino FW and hope they'll learn. No they'll die by themselves until they quit.

And PVP is best done in a group with different people as roles with a competent FC.

Hell you can have fun in PVP with an incompetant FC (alcohol willing).

The issue is that if you want poeople out of NPC corps, YOU must take the initative and find these players and invite them to PVP corps, show them fits, and take them on roams.

People aren't going to magically start PVPing if they don't know anything about it.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#58 - 2013-10-19 22:03:19 UTC
Weiland Taur wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:

OP,

I'm failing miserably to see the connection between my comment and yours.

I'm saying the OP might be lamenting about the lack of targets. Sorry that wasn't directed at you.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2013-10-19 22:03:41 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Weiland Taur wrote:

OP,

No, this is a fair question and one I feel should be addressed. As far as I know, there are none for the new players, none that they are immediately aware of, and that's the problem that we're discussing here. "What they don't know won't hurt them," right?

Even if new players are just starting their own corps, they are stepping into the PVP environment as it was intended. They can set their own corp tax rates, create their own stations, declare war on their rivals, amongst other things.

Staying in a starter NPC corp can really only end in stagnation. Even if the player plays the game for years in that state, it is still stagnation. No matter how much isk they earn, it is still stagnation. They are not developing as EVE players, they are not developing in the community, and they are basically just NPCs themselves by virtue of that.

I love EVE, and believe it or not, I actually really care about the experience of other players. The last thing I want is to scare them away or make them feel excluded, though, which is why I'm trying to encourage a mature discussion about how best to include them in the community and make their experience better for it.

Weiland Taur
The Icarus Expedition
Solyaris Chtonium
#60 - 2013-10-19 22:04:05 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

A lot of people seem distressed by this idea, and I can understand why. A friend of mine were just discussing on Mumble perhaps a dynamic inter-NPC corp wardec system that new players who reach a certain skill point level are invited to participate in, but then we also feel such a thing would be redundant next to FW. On the other hand, FW isn't incredibly newb-friendly.

I think encouraging new players to PVP really needs to come from other players rather than generic NPC scripts, though. But I'm not just talking about PVP, I'm talking about interaction in general. New players can't learn that virtually every aspect of EVE is PVP without that interaction.

I think you betray your true premise here. You want an EVE where everyone engages in the simpliest form of pvp, the kind where ships shoot each other and ships blow up. That's fine but please just come out and admit it. What you are missing is that the beauty of eve is the pvp takes so many different forms. From miners hustling rocks to mega traders who control entire aspects of the market without ever undocking, the game is and will always be, player vs. player, regardless of where they park their pod. You can't avoid interaction in Eve. It's impossible. Even if you never speak, never post, never undock, someone can reach and via their actions, impact your decisions. That is the beauty of the ecosystem.