These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

So many bears in EVE - play style labeling

Author
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#1 - 2013-10-18 08:41:45 UTC
It used to just be a carebear, now they are spread all over eve... not carebears, other types are emerging as well.

From my understanding, these are the most prominent types:

Carebear - a player that spends most of the time grinding ISK for no apparent reason or just to buy more expensive equipment that will improve his ISK grinding. It's an endless recursion really. Generally despises taking risk and complains when the risk is forced upon them by other players.

Nullbear - much like a carebear, but has taken one step further to be involved in blob warfare. Still avoids taking risk anytime he can. That's why 90% of the time in PvP he spends in corp/alliance insured and reimbursed fleets.

Gankbear - I didn't made this up, but seen the term here. It's a player, or an alt, that lives in highsec and does exclusively suicide gankings of targets that can not defend themselves (miners, haulers, mission runners with expensive fits,...). ISK grinding is not that important for this bear, since A) catalysts are cheap B) loot from their targets can provide pretty solid ISK. What this bear has in common with other bears is that he, as well, don't like taking risks.

So, generally, a term "bear" is linked with a play style that doesn't involve risk or tries to minimize it to extremes. Are there other types out there?

Note:
Above terms are not mentioned in any derogatory way. These terms are coined to label specific play styles that exist in the game. My opinion on the matter is that these are all valid ways of playing the game and equally valuable as any other play style. They are the reason why we have so much diversity in EVE.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#2 - 2013-10-18 08:48:01 UTC

WoWBear - Continually compares EvE to WoW

Forumbear - Makes boring poasts and ship toasts on EvE-O forums

HoleBear - Like the Nullbear but always crammed down a Wormhole, often hiberates in shut-down towers for years

Lamebear - A Dark Angel warrior of the Death Wing company. (Imperial Name: Unknown) His right leg is a bionic replacement, the real one ripped off by a Genestealer. Cloud Runner's dearest friend (ironically recruited from an enemy tribe), he is the kindest and gentlest warrior of the thirty brothers. Although he was named Lame Bear in his boyhood, 100 years ago he became lame to match his name when a Genestealer tore his right leg off.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Rhatar Khurin
Doomheim
#3 - 2013-10-18 08:53:14 UTC
Ghostbear - One of the original twenty Clans founded by Nicholas Kerensky. Just like their totem animal, the ghost bear found on Strana Mechty, members of this Clan are known for their conservative nature and their strong sense of family. Amongst the strongest of the Clans and the most stable, their cautious nature ensures they never rush into a situation unprepared, but also makes them slow to change with their unofficial mantra being "wait and see." Originally of the Crusader mindset, they were one of the four original Clans to participate in the Clan Invasion in 3050.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#4 - 2013-10-18 08:54:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Werebear - The WereBears were a series of teddy bears released in 1983 in the United Kingdom. They were created by George Nicholas, a famous children's author, so that boys could have teddy bears without worrying about being bullied.

Rhatar Khurin wrote:
.... founded by (George) Nicholas Kerensky.

GASP

DO YOU SEE

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Turelus
Utassi Security
#5 - 2013-10-18 09:16:23 UTC
What are roleplayers? rolebears? rpbears? What?

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#6 - 2013-10-18 09:23:03 UTC
Turelus wrote:

Players

People who dont roleplay are Metabears

Rhea Rankin Nolen
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-10-18 09:38:18 UTC
Pewbear

Grinds missions or anoms during day for plex, pews solo or in fleets at nights!

Not a myth.
Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#8 - 2013-10-18 09:57:46 UTC
Carebeer - Flying is secondary to these EVE-playing drunkards. They are, however, snobbish about the alcoholic beverages they consume.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

Daimon Kaiera
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-10-18 10:04:51 UTC
Trying to minimize risk is a bad thing?

GASP

.... . .-.. .--. / .. / .... .- ...- . / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. . -. / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. -. --- - / --. . - / ..- .--. / ... - --- .--. - .... .. ... / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . / .. -.. . .- / .. ... / -. --- - / ... - --- .-.. . -. / ... - --- .--.

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#10 - 2013-10-18 10:07:08 UTC
Moonbears are about to become a thing.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Frying Doom
#11 - 2013-10-18 10:13:09 UTC
Drop Bears - Because in Australia the wildlife is the worst.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#12 - 2013-10-18 10:24:46 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Drop Bears - Because in Australia the wildlife is the worst.

Damn right. And proud of it!

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#13 - 2013-10-18 10:58:55 UTC
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
It used to just be a carebear, .

What did you evolve into so I can look out for and be aware of it ? Warning signs ??

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-10-18 11:02:45 UTC
Yay i don't fall into these categories \o/
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-10-18 11:03:51 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Turelus wrote:

Players

People who dont roleplay are Metabears

LOL
Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-10-18 11:27:19 UTC
Elitebear - likes to think he is some sort of PvP god by announcing "I'm a small gang pvper" via blogs, forum posts or in game chat. When describing other playstyles is often seen using phrases like "risk-averse blobber", "big blue doughnut", "no-skill ganker". His definition of solo includes "Me, my link alt, my falcon alt, my logi alts".
Frying Doom
#17 - 2013-10-18 11:55:35 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
It used to just be a carebear, .

What did you evolve into so I can look out for and be aware of it ? Warning signs ??

Don't you mean devolve into?

Carebears are the top of the evolutionary ladder, lets face it PvP types are still trying to bang 2 rocks together to make fire.Lol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Black Canary Jnr
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2013-10-18 11:58:08 UTC
Drop bears - people who sit on high sec undocks waiting for their buddy to light a covert ops cyno, generally into providence but sometimes else where.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#19 - 2013-10-18 11:59:03 UTC
Scarebear. The guy who warps into a belt flying a catalyst, with no intent to gank, just to see who runs away and who doesn't.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Amber Kurvora
#20 - 2013-10-18 12:01:21 UTC
Squarebear - 'Cause it's hip to be bear, m'kay?

Swearbear - a Carebear who totally loses it because you were mean to him and you ganked him.
123Next pageLast page