These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Good quality computers for eve-online ?

Author
xxVastorxx
Invisible Operations
Invisible.
#1 - 2013-10-18 03:38:12 UTC
Ive been in the market for a new desktop for awhile. not sure, this is right spot, but since its semi, eve related why the heck not Big smile

My laptop i used for eve was a Compaq something, cant remember what, alls i know it was vista, and a crappy vid card,
ive had nothing but problems with it. it likes to go to sleep on its own then shut off, rather fustrateing.

so here iam unable to use my laptop for eve,. What? and im just wondering if any of you got some good suggestions on what you use for your eve comp, prices as well would be helpful as well as links.
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#2 - 2013-10-18 03:41:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
I run Eve on a ten year old PC that has intergrated graphics and has never been updated. Sometimes it likes to freeze on the start button. My pc doesnt run Eve very well, it lags to hell on the lowest of low settings, but it works.

Basically, anything in the past 3-5 years and you should be fine. Or just fork out for a brand spanking new, top of the range one...

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

xxVastorxx
Invisible Operations
Invisible.
#3 - 2013-10-18 03:46:44 UTC
Seraph Essael wrote:
I run Eve on a ten year old PC that has intergrated graphics and has never been updated. Sometimes it likes to freeze on the start button. My pc doesnt run Eve very well, it lags to hell on the lowest of low settings, but it works.

Basically, anything in the past 3-5 years and you should be fine. Or just fork out for a brand spanking new, top of the range one...

ive talked to so many companys that sell computers, and even brought the requirments for eve, some say 700$ for a good comp to run it others, say hey, he doesnt know much about comps lets try and get him to buy a 2500$ computer.
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#4 - 2013-10-18 04:02:06 UTC
My friend plays Eve on his PC (without any problems) on a £500 PC (think that's roughly US $800). Sure he cant have it on the highest graphics setting but it still runs nice.

800-900USD should be fine... Thats about 500-570GBP...

Personally, I'm building my own PC currently. I am going to be spending about £1400 - £1500, but I am going for a top of the range model. There's no reason a simple £600 model wont work...

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#5 - 2013-10-18 04:10:29 UTC
What I am currently using...this has maaaaaajor issues playing Eve when I am in a massive filled system (such as Jita) but apart from that, it runs Eve fine in systems with below 60 people in.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE

Basically what I am saying is, so long as its better than mine, you will be fine haha

Baggo Hammers
#6 - 2013-10-18 04:14:45 UTC
Here is a more than sufficient box for 369.00 U.S. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8238069&CatId=2628

I would add a video card

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-10-18 04:14:46 UTC
xxVastorxx wrote:
Ive been in the market for a new desktop for awhile. not sure, this is right spot, but since its semi, eve related why the heck not Big smile

My laptop i used for eve was a Compaq something, cant remember what, alls i know it was vista, and a crappy vid card,
ive had nothing but problems with it. it likes to go to sleep on its own then shut off, rather fustrateing.

so here iam unable to use my laptop for eve,. What? and im just wondering if any of you got some good suggestions on what you use for your eve comp, prices as well would be helpful as well as links.

High-end Samsung laptop seems to be doing just fine.
Unfortunately, EVE is the only thing it does well...

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Dr0000 Maulerant
Union Nanide and Tooling
#8 - 2013-10-18 04:14:52 UTC
If they deliver on all the possibilities in DX11 the extra $$$ will be worth it.

If you can put a computer together (it's easier than most people think) you can build what alienware is selling for 2000 USD with around 700 in parts.

Tell me again about how every playstyle you dont engage in "doesn't require any effort" and everyone who does it needs to die in a fire. Be sure to mention about how you tried it once but it was too easy/boring/ethnic-homophobic slur. 

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#9 - 2013-10-18 04:32:19 UTC
EvE can be run on some pretty terrible computers. If all you're looking to do is run EvE, and don't care much about having the graphics maxed out, then i wouldn't spend more than 3-5 hundred. You might even be able to get one for less than that. All depends on what you want really. But i wouldn't go for an upper-end computer unless you plan to play some other modern games, as EvE wouldn't really use most of it.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#10 - 2013-10-18 05:06:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Ptraci
xxVastorxx wrote:

The EVE client is not all that demanding unless you turn everything to max, and even then. It gets demanding when you start wanting to multi-box (I run 6 clients at times). Just pick a computer with a modern CPU, a generous amount of RAM and a fairly recent (last 2-3 years or so) GPU and you're golden.
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-10-18 05:09:45 UTC
I5 + 8gb ram + 660ti. Done.
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-10-18 05:16:15 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
I5 + 8gb ram + 660ti. Done.

AMD Phenom II X4 965+8gb + GTX 550ti + SSD = win <---have this except with an i3

This AMD mobo/cpu combo is pretty cheap
xxVastorxx
Invisible Operations
Invisible.
#13 - 2013-10-18 05:36:18 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
xxVastorxx wrote:

The EVE client is not all that demanding unless you turn everything to max, and even then. It gets demanding when you start wanting to multi-box (I run 6 clients at times). Just pick a computer with a modern CPU, a generous amount of RAM and a fairly recent (last 2-3 years or so) GPU and you're golden.

so would something like this be able to handle eve client, moderatly with some high graphic settings ?
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36957
Darius Brinn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-10-18 07:16:51 UTC
xxVastorxx wrote:
Ptraci wrote:
xxVastorxx wrote:

so would something like this be able to handle eve client, moderatly with some high graphic settings ?
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36957

Well, according to AkitaT, a mere GTX650 (not Ti, the lower one) can run three EvE clients at 60 Fps.

That computer has enough RAM, a good CPU and comes with a Radeon 7770 which is better than the GTX650, so I'd say you can play on max settings (or nearly, not sure).

I am waiting for my new rig, and while I went for i7 and an expensive motherboard, I chose a GTX660. It's less than 150€ (dirt cheap), it will run EvE perfectly for years, and I got Arkham: Origins as bonus, so I win. With the cash I saved on GPU, I added a 120Gb SSD HD for the operative system and the EvE client :D
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-10-18 08:22:07 UTC
You'll be able to run EvE on a 200-300 bucks computer easily.
Don't waste money if all you do is play EvE.
Merovee
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#16 - 2013-10-18 09:14:06 UTC
$1000 minimum, because if you have a great gaming rig EVE will not be the only game you will play. Big smile

Empire, the next new world order.

Kiarra Steele
My Best Friend Is An Emu
Get Jiggy Wit It
#17 - 2013-10-18 09:35:59 UTC
The importance of having a good internet connection cannot be overstated (use cables not wifi if you want a faster gaming capable data stream)

Velicitia
XS Tech
#18 - 2013-10-18 09:38:10 UTC
well, also, you should consider buying a Titan Blink

Seriously though, anything in the $300-$1000 range should work (add in 20-25% if you want a laptop, so you can get a slightly better gfx card/CPU ... since the dirt cheap ones are usually terrible).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Amber Kurvora
#19 - 2013-10-18 10:25:33 UTC
My £600, i3. HD6850 build is running it fine, 2 years on. To be honest, you could easily get away with an amd fx 6300, HD7850 and 8 gigs of room, and you'll be running Eve for years to come.
Teinyhr
Ourumur
#20 - 2013-10-18 10:55:48 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Seriously though, anything in the $300-$1000 range should work (add in 20-25% if you want a laptop, so you can get a slightly better gfx card/CPU ... since the dirt cheap ones are usually terrible).

Pretty much this. I'd say at least 700 dollars if we're talking about laptops, unless you happen to find a bargain sale for a laptop that has a proper GPU (=not integrated). quad-core CPU and more than 4GB of RAM (i'd suggest at least 6Gb). Cheap laptops are generally very poor choice for gaming, even if we're talking about just EVE.
123Next page