These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

An Uneducated Discourse on LOLFITS and Tactics

Author
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-10-16 12:28:14 UTC
I once created a Proteus fit that used a XLASB to go PvP hunting in null sec. I caught a lot of flak from people who really imo don't have an idea regarding ships fitting and tactics in EvE.

I write this post for those people out there who have some imagination and the nerve to experiment with extraordinary fits.

I don't remember the exact fit but it was something like this:

Covert Ops
Neutron Blasters

10mn AB
XLASB
Hardners
Scram

Magstabs
Nano's

Its an odd fit to be sure, however I came up with the idea by doing what most people don't do. Instead of going to Battleclinic and finding a good fit that someone else came up with I instead asked myself the following questions:

What will I be doing? => Killing people solo inside a nullsec hub with multiple unfriendlies.
What will be the most important attributes for my ship? => DPS, Agility, Speed
What will likely kill my ship => Taking too long to get a kill, getting scrammed, getting nueted

From that I decided that a shield burst tank using capless XLASB dealt with the requirements best - low slots free for magstabs, shield fit for agility / speed and cap free boosting, AB for low cap usage and scram switching off prop mod immunity.

I should be able to quickly align, warp in, gank my target, deagress quickly even when scrammed if something appears on d-scan, burst tank like crazy (long enough to get out of range or two a gate if I get tackled.

Did it work? I got 22 kills without dying, I finally got killed by hotdrop after attacking a cyno ship which was stupid but the kills had largely dried up and the majority of the people fled the systems I was hunting.

In short I fit the ship for the job it was supposed to do, not because it was highly rated, or because I was afraid of fitting it differently, or because everyone else fit their ship one particular way, regardless of whether they're solo, in fleet, or in a small gang.

That's what I suggest people do, if you read this and you're looking for fitting advice, ask yourself the same questions, by all means take the advice people give you but remember that a lot are just giving you the same advice they got and really havent' thought about their choices.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Hell Bitch
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-10-16 12:33:12 UTC
Originality is always frowned upon, with most folk yelling 'You can't do that' whilst you're doing that which they think can't be done.

Unrelated, why the sad face? you looked happier before.
Danny John-Peter
The Congregation
OnlyFleets.
#3 - 2013-10-16 12:38:56 UTC
Its a yes and no thing, without seeing the specifics of the fit talked about if I had a few criticisms they would be that an MWD can be helpful in those situations, an AB being generally too slow, and that a Loki is probably better if you are shield tanking.

Fitting rules, bonuses and all this sort of thing are more suggestions than absolutes, mixing buffer and active tanking is often one I see spouted even though buffer/rep fits are effective and fairly commonplace.

Its all about learning the basics first, then you can work out for yourself when its a good idea to break from them.
Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#4 - 2013-10-16 12:57:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Bertrand Butler
As the above poster said, there are no absolutes. Another thing that many players fail to understand is that in many circumstances flying skills and behavior is what makes or breaks a loadout, not the specific modules used.

Mix-maxing has its place, same goes for cookie-cutter strategies. There are many times though where the surprise factor coupled with good flying skills will give you better results.

And if not "better", certainly more fun in the end. Its a game, go play..C:
Drunken Bum
#5 - 2013-10-16 15:31:36 UTC
People made fun of your fit because youre flying a stealth gank proteus choosing targets you know you'll win against (why would you uncloak otherwise?) so it doesnt matter what you fit on your ship. Yes your xlarge asb was effective. A hull repper would be as well. You could fit a midget on the front who would shout obsceneties that will be as useful as thr asb if youre picking your targets right.

Thinking outside the box is great. Battleclinic is ****, a buncha eft warriors who rarely fly what they come up with on paper. Gimping one of the best armor tanks in the game to fit a shield though? Why? Why try to fit a square peg through a round hole? There are better ships for shields. You can fit a stealthed nullified tengu to do 400 dps with hams and faction missiles, with ecm no less, and a better tank then that shield proteus.

If it works and you were having fun with it who cares what ppl think?

After the patch we're giving the market some gentle supply restriction, like tying one wrist to the bedpost loosely with soft silk rope. Just enough to make things a bit more exciting for the market, not enough to make a safeword necessary.  -Fozzie

Jon Joringer
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-10-16 16:15:38 UTC
There's always flak. I get told constantly to fit MWDs to my scram range brawlers where I much prefer ABs (and can get around in low just fine without one). Or get told to not fit a plate+rep. Or the best one is when people laugh at the low paper dps of my cruisers when the evidence of how many ships they've killed is free for them to see.

Just use what works for you.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#7 - 2013-10-16 16:26:34 UTC
I have done the same type of fits with Tengu hulls. And of course, people only see the fits when you die, so then they 'lol' you.
I just liked trying different strategies and seeing if they could actually work.

Kinda spendy losses...but wtf? It's a game. Cool

I never lost 1 solo. (Most solo's turned into a local spike of +3 or more) Never lost 1 in gangs under 6ish. Mostly against 10 or more pilots and even then it was typically a mistake I made that caused the loss.

I especially like T3, because they CAN be adjusted for odd fits. Wasn't that the intended role?
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#8 - 2013-10-16 16:34:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Kahega Amielden
Quote:

Its an odd fit to be sure, however I came up with the idea by doing what most people don't do. Instead of going to Battleclinic and finding a good fit that someone else came up with I instead asked myself the following questions:

In short I fit the ship for the job it was supposed to do, not because it was highly rated

Battleclinic is near-universally regarded as **** as far as fittings go. Thinking that BC is not authoritative is not controversial.

Furthermore, there's nothing incredibly odd about your fit other than the AB.

I strongly suspect that you hang out with people who don't know what they are doing. You should stop that.
Hatsumi Kobayashi
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-10-16 16:40:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Hatsumi Kobayashi
Battleclinic is the absolute worst place to get a fit for a ship unless you look at lossmails of people who have a clue.

On the other hand, have you learned that Megathrons have 7 turret slots now?

No sig.

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-10-16 17:23:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
Drunken Bum wrote:
People made fun of your fit because youre flying a stealth gank proteus choosing targets you know you'll win against (why would you uncloak otherwise?) so it doesnt matter what you fit on your ship. Yes your xlarge asb was effective. A hull repper would be as well. You could fit a midget on the front who would shout obsceneties that will be as useful as thr asb if youre picking your targets right.

Thinking outside the box is great. Battleclinic is ****, a buncha eft warriors who rarely fly what they come up with on paper. Gimping one of the best armor tanks in the game to fit a shield though? Why? Why try to fit a square peg through a round hole? There are better ships for shields. You can fit a stealthed nullified tengu to do 400 dps with hams and faction missiles, with ecm no less, and a better tank then that shield proteus.

If it works and you were having fun with it who cares what ppl think?

No I was flying a covert ops because I was operating in a hub system in null with no stations to dock in. Uncloaked I would have had to log off and then log on given the enemy exact times I was active. There's more than one reason to fit a cloak.

Given that I was operating in a hub system and attacking people while multiple enemies were in local there was no guarantee I'd win against anybody.

The reason for the Proteus and XLASB is simple. I had a full crystal set in my head from 2010. The boost from the XLASB gave me 80k of EHP. The Proteus can put out 700 dps in covert ops, much more than any other covert T3.

Gimping one of the best armor tanks it might have been, had I wanted to tank, but I wanted to gank and gtfo. Proteus is the best covert ops DPS in the game and that's what was needed. If you have a look at the kill on me when I finally did lose the Proteus, you'll see that no amount of tank could have saved it. 17 people vs 1 Proteus = dead Proteus.

Hatsumi Kobayashi wrote:
Battleclinic is the absolute worst place to get a fit for a ship unless you look at lossmails of people who have a clue.

On the other hand, have you learned that Megathrons have 7 turret slots now?

That fit was a nos-stalgia bleeder fit from yesteryear. If you are talking about the loss to PL in Rancer. It was exploding no matter if it had an extra gun or not.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#11 - 2013-10-16 17:51:21 UTC
A question. Why do some people hate Battleclinic? I use it mainly for learning, and have seen a lot of good loadouts there.
Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-10-16 17:58:57 UTC
I remember when I was pretty new in 2007 or 08ish, I posted a triple rep Myrm fit in my corp forums. Everyone pointed and laughed and called it a failfit. Based on that, I never fit or flew it. Later (and certainly not due to me) it became pretty popular.

Bottom line - screw them. Fitting and flying and failing in your own ships is a significant portion of the fun of Eve. Certainly there are good reasons for fleet doctrines, but there are just as many reasons for experimentation - it's called fun.

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Ginger Barbarella
#13 - 2013-10-16 18:25:46 UTC
EFT Warriors love to do the "should fit" route. What's really fun is catching them admitting that they've never even flown the ships they're commenting about fitting. Do what works for you. Wanna drop an LSE on an armor tanking ship? Rock it. I prefer the buffer myself, but hey. I even have a T2 Rapid dual-prop Navy Caracal that I love flying in L3's and L4's that works beautifully for me. Do you think I give a flying crap about what the 'leet peeveepee'ers think about it? Not in the least. I fly what I like to fly, and I fit with what works for me. Don't like my fits? Don't ask for my help or ask me on your CTA.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-10-16 18:46:49 UTC
Bertrand Butler wrote:
A question. Why do some people hate Battleclinic? I use it mainly for learning, and have seen a lot of good loadouts there.

Yeah there are some good ones there. I use it often to get a basic idea so I don't have to work from the ground up. And anyone whose ever been killed has a fit on there in most cases so its a great way to get intel and counters for specific people / corps / alliances.

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#15 - 2013-10-16 20:35:46 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:

Its an odd fit to be sure, however I came up with the idea by doing what most people don't do. Instead of going to Battleclinic and finding a good fit that someone else came up with I instead asked myself the following questions

No one goes to battleclinic for good fits.

Probably should have mentioned the crystal set in the OP.

Long before ASBs were a thing, shield buffering with lots of gank was the preferred fit for many blaster boats, so your proteus fit (even without the crystals) didn't strike me as TOO odd, although certainly outside the box given the current meta.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

SghnDubh
BattleClinic
#16 - 2013-10-17 05:44:08 UTC  |  Edited by: SghnDubh
I just want to jump in with a bit of truth to call out the trolls here.

The BC loadout forum generates about 15k loadouts a month and 500k pageviews per month, which suggests that some posters in this thread may need to redefine their idea of "no one" and "universal."
Bobinu
Unsober
Last Picks
#17 - 2013-10-17 09:33:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Bobinu
I get asked alot about fitting, I offer a base line ship. I always say that it can be improved, or consider trying other modules in the place of another.

The cookie cutter fits, or base line fits, are there as a starter, you have to fly a ship for a long time to reach that end goal fit. As mentioned above it is how you fly it.

When I started playing I lived in a drake, it wasn't a mainstream fit, I was helping out in a lvl 4, the guy who's mission it was had to warp out, he was asking me to get out. I replied - warp back in mate I got this. Alot of older players offered scorn at my fit until they had seen how effective it was in running missions.

With EVE and fits there is always possible improvements, so do try stuff, just because you have found a way that doesnt work, doesnt mean you have failed, just means you may one day find the way that does. (kinda like an Edison qoute!)

I used to put down fits that I thought were terribad, now I offer suggestions/advice and dont mind if they are ignored. If they are enjoying what they are doing and how they are doing it, then whats the harm.

My recommendation - listen to all advice, remember it, apply what you think is best.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#18 - 2013-10-17 12:37:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Lloyd Roses
Batelle wrote:

No one goes to battleclinic for good fits.

yeee, sure......

Actually, all the really good fits (XLASB cerb, AAR-kiteNOmen, active solo-scimitar and so on) are either posted there at all, or mostly posted already before the changes required even go live on TQ. You don't go to battleclinic, though people who want to browse some real good fits go by that site to get a good overview do.

t.T
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#19 - 2013-10-17 13:44:58 UTC
Please excuse my disparaging offhand remarks about battleclinic. They were meant jokingly, and are based on my own experience. On the times that I do visit, I consider myself lucky if I can find a single fit that is both A) for the current build and B) not terrible.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Chessur
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#20 - 2013-10-17 18:58:30 UTC
Battleclinic is a complete joke, and for the most part a waste of server space. So I am glad that you did not go there.

However, your fit is also quite poor and ill thought out. But then again, most 'solo' cloaky T3 ships are.
12Next page