These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Do player names in MMOs mean anything?

Author
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#41 - 2013-10-12 00:27:36 UTC
I'll take ages to pick a name that suits a Character... Sometimes it can take a long time due to names I may want could already be picked

I hate using Numbers or Any weird characters

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#42 - 2013-10-12 00:39:33 UTC
Sometimes I wish this character did not have "Commissar" in the name. If I could redo it, this character would be renamed Kate Okaseki.

People used to call me the "Commissar" because I always used to play as the Russians and yelled at everyone in some old milsim games.

As for "Kate" well it female name for a female character.
Chloe Kaltana
Kaltana Industries
#43 - 2013-10-12 10:32:07 UTC
I wanted my alts in Eve kinda related, so I gave them idendical series of surnames, like Kaltana/Reynolds/Books.There's also Cassadine Reynolds in another mmo too now, but that came after beginning with Eve.

OOPE Pinup Calendar application thread https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=236043&find=unread The Kaltana Blood Horse Tribe: http://i.imgur.com/mufDw3B.png

Blod Bladelicker
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2013-10-12 23:38:14 UTC
In EVE it only matters in the way when you are called primary if they go on alphabet, or how trustworthy you are.
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#45 - 2013-10-13 01:33:27 UTC
Seraph is just a name I like and have used in all games that require a player name.

As for Essael. Well it's pronounced 'S', 'A', 'L' because those letter spell out something dear to me.

So yeah, my name is used because its something that identifies me...Big smile

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Zsaryna Adrelana
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#46 - 2013-10-13 12:19:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Zsaryna Adrelana
No one can pronounce my character's name properly
that's why I like it.
But yeah, Z is a character I use in my books

I do this for many reasons. I do it because I believe it is right. I do it because I will profit by it. These all consolidate into one reason: I do it because I can.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#47 - 2013-10-13 17:51:18 UTC
I think greek, roman and classical history in general is very interesting. that's pretty much all there is to say. all my names have origins in that.
Old Phill
Doomheim
#48 - 2013-10-14 08:21:28 UTC
Tauren Paladin named Holy Cow
the meaning is beyond belief
The Spod
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-10-14 13:14:05 UTC
TL;DR was uninformative. Needs conclusion abstract.

General level of player can be estimated from the name to an extent. Having an objectively good name is at a high frequency an indicator of good player. Having a subjectively good name is an indicator of a player of your level or better in many cases.

Objectively good names are short, catchy and most importantlyvery contested, e.g. "Pro"

Subjectively good names are those you consider good. The better you are, the better names you consider good. Bad players generally can't judge the decency of a character name.

Examples: this characters name, The Spod, is objectively bad. "The" in front of the name adds letters and lessens contestation. The best character name would possibly be Eve due to high contestation and conciseness. The worth of this name would be immeasurable; trillions in isk or a ton of cash in rmt.
The Spod
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2013-10-14 13:24:02 UTC  |  Edited by: The Spod
A quick glance at this thread reveals only one subjectively interesting name, Lancelot du Lac. All the rest of us are bland and tasteless, and plain Lancelot would have been objectively immeasurably better. Lancelot is actually quite contested as the concise name.
The Spod
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-10-14 13:27:08 UTC
As someone pointed out, the use of numbers greatly reduces the worth of a name. Only some exceptions apply, like 1337 and Player 1. The latter would be better as just Player, though.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#52 - 2013-10-14 13:40:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Have told the story several times but i like explaining it so there i go again.

When i rolled this character, the old Khanid characters looked like Mongolian, but i also fancied something middle-easternly. S i searched many baby names pages and came with with "chuk" being a word end that meant "strong" and "ishta" being a Persian word for "star". So was born the portmanteau "Ishtanchuk" = mighty star. By the way, the name is pronounced Ish-tan-CHUK, with stress on the last syllabe.

As for the surname, it's completely fictional and haves no special meaning, I just added the -ai termination to imply belonging to a family. It also is pronounced with stress on the last syllabe: Faz-ma-RAI.

Later, I created an alt to participate in a beauty contest, RP'ed it as Isthanchuk's cousin and called her "Indahmawar", from the Indonesian words "indah mawar" = beautiful rose. I pronounce it with stress in the last syllabe too: In-dah-ma-WAR.

And my latest alt, Yiole Gionglao, is a slightly modified phonetical transciption of the Korean words for "alternate path". I didn't looked it for long, but it kinda works. I pronounce it as Yi-O-le Gi-ong-LAO.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

voetius
Grundrisse
#53 - 2013-10-14 20:56:28 UTC
The Spod wrote:
TL;DR was uninformative. Needs conclusion abstract.

General level of player can be estimated from the name to an extent. Having an objectively good name is at a high frequency an indicator of good player. Having a subjectively good name is an indicator of a player of your level or better in many cases.

Objectively good names are short, catchy and most importantlyvery contested, e.g. "Pro"

Subjectively good names are those you consider good. The better you are, the better names you consider good. Bad players generally can't judge the decency of a character name.

Examples: this characters name, The Spod, is objectively bad. "The" in front of the name adds letters and lessens contestation. The best character name would possibly be Eve due to high contestation and conciseness. The worth of this name would be immeasurable; trillions in isk or a ton of cash in rmt.

I agree that the tldr was a quick summary, could have been better.

I liked your other points and I can see your point about subjectively good names, but "objectively good names" ? Perhaps I've been reading too much Kant lately Smile

Also, I think "The Spod" sounds kinda cool/
Shadow Love
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#54 - 2013-10-15 02:04:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Shadow Love
Betty Bly wrote:
If I see someone with the word Shadow in their name on whatever game it is, I automatically assume that person is a douchebag. I don't know why lol.

I have tried to keep my name the same through all the games I have played. It makes vent easier to deal with. Smile

Sup.

P.S. My name was a character in a book written by one of my favorite authors. He was a native american who ended up being somewhat of a murderer, and given my character's bloodline and the brief description it gave of them I thought it was fitting. Plus I just think it sounds cool.
Previous page123