These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Rubicon, Twitch-TV, .bik and captain quarters

Author
Nadia Barsrallah
Nerbles
#1 - 2013-10-13 19:39:43 UTC
Awhile ago when it was discovered the videos in CQ were .biks video. i coded a simple script to encode screen captures on a secondary monitor as .bik and save them into the eve directory, so my captain quarters video screen would update with custom conten

With the announcement of Rubicon's Twitch TV integration; i cannot help get excited about the posibility of watching a tournament in CQ

is twitch-tv integration in captain quarters on the horizon? is it something that the community would want to see?

i would be really easy to code, contact me CCP :)

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#2 - 2013-10-13 19:45:58 UTC
While admittedly the ultimate EVE nerd thing to do, watching other people play a spaceship game while you are playing a spaceship game, I'm just not that insane...yet.

I'll stick with watching streaming on my second monitor where I might actually have the resolution to make some sense out of it.

Mr Epeen Cool
Nadia Barsrallah
Nerbles
#3 - 2013-10-13 19:53:49 UTC
Smile

I can admit, that out of lazyness/RP i don't alt-tab or go to auxialry monitor and use in-game browser for surfing :)

it was really easy to code (although sound wasnt possible) and it added at least....something to CQ!

With Rubicon Twitch-TV promise, it got me thinking! I wish i knew of a way to contact CCP dev's so i could send them source. I would even convert it to dirty python for them!

Irya Boone
The Scope
#4 - 2013-10-14 03:16:34 UTC
But it make sense , this the primary purpose of this giant sreen display EVE things

CCP it's time to remove Off Grid Boost and Put Them on Killmail too, add Logi on killmails .... Open that damn door !!

you shall all bow and pray BoB

YesYes NoNoNo
Karmic Rebalance
#5 - 2013-10-14 05:37:59 UTC
Rubicon will have twitch integration? Where'd they say that?
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#6 - 2013-10-14 05:54:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Xercodo
YesYes NoNoNo wrote:
Rubicon will have twitch integration? Where'd they say that?

On the live stream. But from the stand point of streaming, not viewing.... yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n9ExTsv1pMQ

The Drake is a Lie

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#7 - 2013-10-14 12:04:45 UTC
Nadia Barsrallah wrote:
Smile

I can admit, that out of lazyness/RP i don't alt-tab or go to auxialry monitor and use in-game browser for surfing :)

it was really easy to code (although sound wasnt possible) and it added at least....something to CQ!

With Rubicon Twitch-TV promise, it got me thinking! I wish i knew of a way to contact CCP dev's so i could send them source. I would even convert it to dirty python for them!

Do it, send them the code. It seems like CCP are too incompetent to do any work on Avatar's themselves. Show them how it's done.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-10-14 13:36:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Why does it make sense for people to watch stuff on a small screen,
instead of watching things on full screen?

It's a weird phenomenon that people like watching TV while watching TV...

Escapism put to the extreme?
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#9 - 2013-10-14 15:14:14 UTC
Nadia Barsrallah wrote:
Awhile ago when it was discovered the videos in CQ were .biks video. i coded a simple script to encode screen captures on a secondary monitor as .bik and save them into the eve directory, so my captain quarters video screen would update with custom conten

With the announcement of Rubicon's Twitch TV integration; i cannot help get excited about the posibility of watching a tournament in CQ

is twitch-tv integration in captain quarters on the horizon? is it something that the community would want to see?

so just to clarify...
What you are saying is you modified your EVE client?

Also, I can think of a LOT more things I care about more than seeing a tiny video in my CQ. Especially since I disable my CQ, cos it's a pointless resource drain when multiboxing, and when I dock I usually have a whole heap of windows open anyway.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Nadia Barsrallah
Nerbles
#10 - 2013-10-14 16:07:13 UTC
didnt modify the eve memory or executable at all, ran a script that encoded video on seconday monitor and saved it per this article

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/2418

as a market player i spend more time docked than undocked, and since i dev IRL and like my space barbies, why not!

maybe i should message CCP Optimal, i wonder how i can...... anyone know?

and did i just out-meta solstice project?
Usul Faust
Altaholics Anonymous
#11 - 2013-10-14 16:12:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Usul Faust
I'd hazard a guess that CCP have probably thought of this already.

They wouldn't even need to transcode it into bik format, just update the CQ screen stuff to render the stream.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-10-14 16:15:53 UTC
Nadia Barsrallah wrote:

You might be able to convert a video file AFTER it has been uploaded, but I doubt you'll be able to have it stream live.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2013-10-14 16:16:52 UTC
Nadia Barsrallah wrote:
Smile

Features and Ideas subforum.

Definitely do it.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Nadia Barsrallah
Nerbles
#14 - 2013-10-14 16:38:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Nadia Barsrallah
Yes, it wouldnt be live, as that would require network stack tinkering. this is all client based, and no sound, so it be lagged for the buffer duration, even a minute lag with no sound is possible.

pretty much:

/pseudo code

print screen
clipboard memory address
convert bmp to jpeg
run for 60 secs @ 25-30PS
convert to bik

detect windows version

save to:
windows specific cachce / CQScreenVideos directory

Windows XP:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_ccp_eve_tranquility
Windows XP, EVE Online installed via Steam:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_steam_steamapps_common_eve_online_tranquility
Windows Vista and later:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_ccp_eve_tranquility
Windows Vista and later, EVE Online installed via Steam:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_steam_steamapps_common_eve_online_tranquility
Windows Vista and later, 64bit:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_(x86)_ccp_eve_tranquility
Windows Vista and later, 64bit and EVE Online installed via Steam:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_(x86)_steam_steamapps_common_eve_online_tranquility

loop

/end pseudo code

there would be no intergration for TQ, or eve client, all can be done in paralel on client machine. Prolly something blobbers with low-rez and poop computers/older mac's couldn't do
Optimo Sebiestor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-10-14 16:56:06 UTC
Defenetly looking forward to twitch tv integration..
Rhatar Khurin
Doomheim
#16 - 2013-10-14 17:05:54 UTC
How about similar to the bounty viewscreens that float about near jumpgates, they create a larger floating screen outside specific types of stations like a Quafe space station or something.

I can just imagine during Alliance tournaments lots of ships gathered around a huge screen in Jita or somewhere lol
Nadia Barsrallah
Nerbles
#17 - 2013-10-14 18:04:38 UTC
Rhatar Khurin wrote:
How about similar to the bounty viewscreens that float about near jumpgates, they create a larger floating screen outside specific types of stations like a Quafe space station or something.

I can just imagine during Alliance tournaments lots of ships gathered around a huge screen in Jita or somewhere lol

that would be great! and immagine RvB going at it, while people spectate both battles!

of course, kil2 / rise and fozzie would need to dress up all capsuleerr style and eve-tv could become a whole other animal onto itself :P

get that "Eve is real" guy to derp around on screen as well!
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#18 - 2013-10-14 19:43:12 UTC
So..CQ will have the CONCORD channel and Twitch.

Ugh..2 channels....and still nothing good on.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Nadia Barsrallah
Nerbles
#19 - 2013-10-14 20:03:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Nadia Barsrallah
well, you could allways take your favorite movie, pr-0n or tv series and encode it as .bik :)

Considering how nerdy eve player base is, im suprised CCP doesnt let more player contributions seep onto TQ. I'm even handy in maya / 3DS / Unity, i could do.... AUR items! props! modular prefabs! or even a whole station interior if CCP wanted me to :)

there should be a channel / team with QA that can take player submissions.

pretty sure i code model a 425mm AC to put next to my TV in CQ :D