These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Benifits of long term sub?

Author
Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#1 - 2011-11-16 20:05:42 UTC
Hey all.

since joining EVE i have payed 1 month and used timecards since then if memory servers (might have been 3 months and timecards but thats un-important)

I have 33 days on my sub left at time of posting.

my question is simple. Apart from it being a bit cheaper than a monthly basis and not having to bother for an extended period of time, is the 6 month or MAYBE the 12 month sub actually better/hold any more of a benefit than GTC's etc?

Also with all the hacktivists of the past year or what ever, how safe our my details?

Lastly, and I expect a bit of backlash from this one but here goes, Due to some of the player base being alienated by changes made to the game (yes im well aware CCP is back to the serious business of internet spaceships though IMO the person who made the dumb changes should have been the one to lose their job but meh) what would happen if as an example I bought the 12 month sub and 8 months in EVE shut up shop?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2 - 2011-11-16 20:08:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
There are no difference between the payment options aside from price.
CCP-bought PLEX being the most expensive, followed by GTCs, and then decreasing down to the most cheap option, which is the 12-month sub.

…and if you paid for longer than the game lasted, then you've just lost a bunch of cash.
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#3 - 2011-11-16 20:22:07 UTC
I wouldn't worry so much about hackers stealing your CC info, anyone who handles it is a potential risk, you can't go through life worrying about it.

anyhow the card companies are mostly footing the bill for fraud these days, so they can charge you more fees for fraud prevention.

like how that works?

we'll pay for the 1 in 10 that gets scammed, but we'll charge all 10 of you a fee for it
Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#4 - 2011-11-17 12:03:53 UTC
Thanks guys for the responses.
Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#5 - 2011-11-17 12:49:37 UTC
I used to buy 12 months subs, they do safe quite a bit of money. Never did the math with other payment options though.

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Rellik B00n
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2011-11-17 13:56:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Rellik B00n
for me the most important part of 12 month subs (when i was subbed) was:

no grind to pay for account.

Everything you make in that year can go into making more profits and buying/blowing up in shiny stuff.

dont underestimate how much better the eve experience can be if you are not worried about paying for your PLEX each month (even if you can make enough to pay for one in a day highsecincursionslol).

edit:
in the uk purchases over 70 quid on a CC are protected. Im not sure whether this would cover you if CCP folded but since you effectively paid for something you arent getting you could possibly maybe probably try this route.
[Of a request for change ask: Who Benefits?](https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=199765)
Callic Veratar
#7 - 2011-11-17 19:06:42 UTC
I've been on an annual subscription for 2 years now. The best thing is that it costs about $11/month instead of whatever the monthly rate is. I find that $132 is much more affordable than the time it takes to grind 300-600M isk/month for plex as well, considering that's 3.6 to 7.2B/year.

I prefer to play the game to enjoy myself rather than playing the game so I can afford to keep playing the game.
Vachir Khan
Rugged Ruff and Ready
#8 - 2011-11-17 19:20:13 UTC
Tippia wrote:
…and if you paid for longer than the game lasted you could be bothered to play, then you've just lost a bunch of cash.

Slight change :)
InVictus Kell
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2011-11-17 19:31:31 UTC
early on i did yearly subs. then i started the plex route.

i have to agree with other sentiments tho, it's nice that once your paid to be able to focus every isk towards something ingame rather then set aside an allowance for game time.
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#10 - 2011-11-17 20:05:31 UTC
I have been buying yearly since 2006, was planning to cancel in march, but so far , it "SEEMS" eve is going back on track, so if they keep treating eve well and treating it like what it is, a flying pew pew sim with sandboxy stuff, I will renew yearly again. Only game I pay for atm, yearly is cheapest btw, unless you the kind of guy that has managed to hoard so much isk you can live off buying plex, which then would make it way cheaper, not free, huge difference :D

Someone always had to pay for the plex, and your ingame hours were man hours too hoarding the isk, even if all you had to do was place a few orders here and there.

No such thing as free minerals ...

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Xylem Viliana
homeless bum
#11 - 2011-11-17 20:20:41 UTC
Again thank you all for the comments.

@Brujo
Alas as still a pretty young toon (4 and a bit months) I dont have the amassed fortunes of some of the veterans, I could plex for 3 months as it stands but that defeats the point imo, I dont play to play more, I play for fun. If I had like a hundred billion then yeah I may save some RL iskies but as it stands nope....

The no grind is what im looking for really, im in the process of training more combat stuff up, Id like to be able to solo LVL 4 missions, I know that in 4 months I should already be able to but alot of my SP is in mining and industry. so im doing t2 frigs then working on gunnery, im staying hybrids, considered swapping to missles.

Long story short I would rather use ingame money on game stuff...

sorry went on a tangent Oops