These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Framerates and fleet battles, oh my!

Author
Skeith Oumis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2011-11-16 18:34:10 UTC
As someone who owns what I would consider a "high end" machine, I enjoy EVE in it's high res shader induced glory.

However, one thing that continues to plague me no matter how many upgrades I do: Fleet battles ruin performance.

Now, I'm fully aware that rendering 500+ ships, plus drones and effects in a single screen is going to make even the best hardware beg for mercy. However, the solution has always been to manually go in and lower my settings in anticipation of a large battle.

How difficult would it be to implement a "target framerate" option? The basic idea being that you calculate an average framerate over, say, 30 seconds. If the average dips below the target, you start disabling effects until that target is met.

I realize certain settings require changes can't be easily made on the fly, but things like drone models, LOD, and certain effects could be disabled in an attempt to bring framerates back into acceptable ranges, then re-enabled after the fun is over.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2011-11-16 18:35:01 UTC
your geforce 9800GT isn't really "high-end" anymore m8~

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Skeith Oumis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2011-11-16 18:36:28 UTC
Andski wrote:
your geforce 9800GT isn't really "high-end" anymore m8~

Naw man, I'm still overclocking that GF3 Ti200
mkint
#4 - 2011-11-16 18:38:19 UTC
I would like to not have to turn off brackets. Weird that my client can render a 3D ship better than it can render a little [ ].

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2011-11-16 18:39:59 UTC
scrub, I still use my 3dfx voodoo like a boss

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Baraka Saibot
Wobbling Frog Inc
#6 - 2011-11-16 19:03:27 UTC
Get another Voodoo card and set them up with SLI, I've heard it's all the rage today.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#7 - 2011-11-16 19:09:04 UTC
Baraka Saibot wrote:
Get another Voodoo card and set them up with SLI, I've heard it's all the rage today.

No, no, no. The Rage cards were ATI, not 3dfx

/ducks.
Jack bubu
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2011-11-16 19:22:55 UTC
mkint wrote:
I would like to not have to turn off brackets. Weird that my client can render a 3D ship better than it can render a little [ ].

Disable brackets for drones only = rejoice of no noticable strain on performance
mkint
#9 - 2011-11-16 19:36:12 UTC
Jack bubu wrote:
mkint wrote:

Disable brackets for drones only = rejoice of no noticable strain on performance

Even shutting off drone brackets reduces situational awareness. Having them on lets you know who's getting attacked by what. It's still a decision that players are having to make between functionality and performance in a technology that other companies mastered in the 1990's.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Skeith Oumis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-11-16 19:38:22 UTC
I suspect the issue with brackets is related to something other than video card performance, as the overhead is far too high to be rendering limited alone.
Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#11 - 2011-11-16 19:40:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Denidil
mkint wrote:

it has to do with the floating point performance of your CPU, not GPU. cross hairs (and the rest of the hud) are rendered in 2D, but it has to do the calculations to get the ray intersection from the 2D plane of your hud to the center of mass of the object being bracketed.

that being said, i suspect there is some stupid in their implementation of that algorithm that needs to be beaten out.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Skeith Oumis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2011-11-16 20:04:02 UTC
Denidil wrote:
mkint wrote:

it has to do with the floating point performance of your CPU, not GPU. cross hairs (and the rest of the hud at 2D), but it has to do the calculations to get the ray intersection from the 2D plane of your hud to the center of mass of the object being bracketed.

that being said, i suspect there is some stupid in their implementation of that algorithm that needs to be beaten out.

Why wouldn't they just pop into ortho mode, disable he depth buffer, and render brackets at ship position? This would produce the exact same visual result without any of the math. You'd still need to likely do some of this for mouse handling, but it wouldn't need to be done outside of click and hover events, which are significantly less rare than every frame.
Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#13 - 2011-11-16 20:07:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Denidil
Skeith Oumis wrote:
Denidil wrote:
mkint wrote:

it has to do with the floating point performance of your CPU, not GPU. cross hairs (and the rest of the hud at 2D), but it has to do the calculations to get the ray intersection from the 2D plane of your hud to the center of mass of the object being bracketed.

Why wouldn't they just pop into ortho mode, disable he depth buffer, and render brackets at ship position? This would produce the exact same visual result without any of the math. You'd still need to likely do some of this for mouse handling, but it wouldn't need to be done outside of click and hover events, which are significantly less rare than every frame.

changing your projection mode can be costly on some silicon. so course, none of that is recent. but they also have brackets for off-view objects.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Skeith Oumis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2011-11-16 20:14:29 UTC
Ah yes, I forgot about those.
Jonathan Malcom
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-11-16 20:33:47 UTC
General scalability enhancements would be nice.
Skeith Oumis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2011-11-17 16:43:56 UTC
Murdering the sebo effect would probably be helpful but it's actually useful, which is unfortunate. (Shoot sebo canes every day)

Don't know what all could be disabled safely, but the option would be nice, even if it only saves us a few frames in fleet battles.