These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Question about the Depots

Author
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-10-09 05:44:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Torigoma
First off, go ahead and move this if it's in the wrong spot, my browser does not want to corporate and can't post anywhere else.

I had a quick question about the Depots coming with Rubicon. Looking around the web, I've heard them described as "Mini-POSes", a place where a player can store items and refit their Ship. Now I really like this idea, I can think of many applications. But one thing I also noticed, is that it's undefended, I.E. no shields, no turrets, just you and your Ship.

So that begs a question. Anyone know if they will be able to be Scanned down? (I know I could probably find this in the forums somewhere, but again, messed up browser). The way I figure it, If they can be scanned down, they are mostly worthless. Ya, they could still be used as "Trailers", mobile storage and Ship fitting for Missions and Mining, but we already have Capitals that can do that (unless I am getting my Ships mixed up again, It's late, sue me lol).

Basically I was hoping for something to replace my Secure container Safe Haven with. So anyone know if I should be a happy goose? or all my dreams crushed?
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#2 - 2013-10-09 05:45:31 UTC
Torigoma wrote:
First off, go ahead and move this if it's in the wrong spot, my browser does not want to corporate and can't post anywhere else.

So I guess you're asking the mods to "depost" your post?

Hint: Check your thread title.

Katrina Oniseki

Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-10-09 05:49:37 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
Torigoma wrote:

So I guess you're asking the mods to "depost" your post?

Hint: Check your thread title.

Woops, good catch lol.
Katrina Oniseki
#4 - 2013-10-09 06:03:01 UTC
There's no information on if they can be scanned down, but it's a safe bet to say yes they can. You should plan on them being scannable.

A few other things to note. It has been mentioned that depots will have a short reinforcement timer, allowing you to come and pick it up and save your stuff, without needing to defend it like a POS. You can simply come get your crap and leave. I imagine the ref timer will only be a matter of minutes though, so you'll need to be quick.

Also keep in mind that they will expire just like containers if they are left alone for long periods in space. Use a station or a POS if you want to store things over long periods without being around to defend it. The depots are intended for short term storage and fitting solutions.

Katrina Oniseki

Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-10-09 06:13:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Torigoma
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
There's no information on if they can be scanned down, but it's a safe bet to say yes they can. You should plan on them being scannable.

A few other things to note. It has been mentioned that depots will have a short reinforcement timer, allowing you to come and pick it up and save your stuff, without needing to defend it like a POS. You can simply come get your crap and leave. I imagine the ref timer will only be a matter of minutes though, so you'll need to be quick.

Also keep in mind that they will expire just like containers if they are left alone for long periods in space. Use a station or a POS if you want to store things over long periods without being around to defend it. The depots are intended for short term storage and fitting solutions.

That what I really don't get about it. I envisioned it something more along the lines of the "Smallholdings" that CCP was talking about a year or two back, something you can bunker down in for a Week or Two at a time while you camp a system. More like a "Nomad's Hut:" you can pick up and move if needed, rather than just the "bigger container you can Fit with" that it sounds like.

I guess my biggest problem with how it sounds in that respect is you'd basically have to babysit the thing, making it only really useful deployed for 2-3 hours at a time if you are solo (which it sounds it's meant for) or someone could just come along and pop it while your asleep.
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-10-09 06:36:26 UTC
Anyone else have any info?
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-10-09 15:17:45 UTC
bump
Rengerel en Distel
#8 - 2013-10-09 17:10:03 UTC
Perhaps wait for them to be on the test server? Until they're there, no one has any more info than you. If they are already there, you'll get more info in the Features and Ideas or Test Server forums.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#9 - 2013-10-09 17:37:38 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

That's easy to tell if you find the stats: sensor strength = 0

I wouldn't expect them to be scannable, as that would prevent communities from forming in hostile space, like CCP described at fanfest.
Kate stark
#10 - 2013-10-09 18:03:15 UTC
if you go to reddit, some one has posted a bunch of screenshots of the stats on the new siphons (all 3 sizes) the depot, the 2 soe ships, a third soe ship that has a placeholder model and some other stuff.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-10-09 18:04:57 UTC
* They will be able to be scanned down.
* When attacked, they will have a reinforcement timer.
* You can evac your stuff even while the spaceyurt is reinforced.

No info on whether they will send mails when reinforced, or you have to check on them.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#12 - 2013-10-09 18:08:21 UTC
Torigoma wrote:

I had a quick question about the Depots coming with Rubicon. Looking around the web, I've heard them described as "Mini-POSes", a place where a player can store items and refit their Ship. Now I really like this idea, I can think of many applications. But one thing I also noticed, is that it's undefended, I.E. no shields, no turrets, just you and your Ship.

So that begs a question. Anyone know if they will be able to be Scanned down? (I know I could probably find this in the forums somewhere, but again, messed up browser). The way I figure it, If they can be scanned down, they are mostly worthless. Ya, they could still be used as "Trailers", mobile storage and Ship fitting for Missions and Mining, but we already have Capitals that can do that (unless I am getting my Ships mixed up again, It's late, sue me lol).

Basically I was hoping for something to replace my Secure container Safe Haven with. So anyone know if I should be a happy goose? or all my dreams crushed?

Yes they can be scanned down, but they also have a reinforced mode. Unless you don't give a snip and stop paying attention you'll be able to get your smack out.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-10-09 18:34:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Torigoma
Gogela wrote:

Yes they can be scanned down, but they also have a reinforced mode. Unless you don't give a snip and stop paying attention you'll be able to get your smack out.

That's what I am saying, if the Reinforced mode is anything under 8-12 hours (which condescending what has been said, it's far shorter), that makes them basically useless past temp storage for a hour or two, for mining or Missions. You could plop them down in Safespot, but if it gets scanned down while you are asleep or something, they your screwed.
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2013-10-09 18:37:25 UTC
Kate stark wrote:
if you go to reddit, some one has posted a bunch of screenshots of the stats on the new siphons (all 3 sizes) the depot, the 2 soe ships, a third soe ship that has a placeholder model and some other stuff.

You have a Link? don't use Reddit.
Katrina Oniseki
#15 - 2013-10-09 19:00:32 UTC
http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1nz93l/early_singularity_images_for_rubicon_siphon_stats/

Don't bother with those stats. CCP has already posted in that reddit thread that those stats are placeholders, and only exist so the programmers and testers have something to play with. They are not the final stats. That means none of the stats can be taken as gospel yet, and theory-crafting based on them is mostly pointless.

Quote:
ccp_paradox 64 points 1 day ago

These are toooootally incomplete, just a FYI. The stats were written down just to enable our programmers to have something to work with. When we have something to present, there will be a dev blog or Test Server feedback forum thread on it.

As for the rest of your concerns, the POS system is being worked on, and has been tangled like a golden carrot in front of our faces for at least two consecutive fanfests and multiple CSM discussions. CCP seems to have the intent of overhauling the entire POS system to make it so solo players can easily set up their own 'home away from home' with a miniature modular starbase, while large alliances can build massive "starbase cities" that multiply their capabilities beyond what we current see even with large POS.

The Depot feature being added this expansion could be considered related to that objective of expanding and fleshing out space colonization, but it should not be considered anything other than the very tip of the iceberg. In short, depots are not the final solution you're looking for. They're intended for short term deployments, allowing you some refitting and storage capability in hostile or undeveloped territory. They are not intended for you to build depot towns with, though with the correct amount of micromanagement and defense, you probably still could.

I know this is disappointing, and I'm right there with you. I wish they were more than that too, but I think it's a good baby step in the right direction, and I think we should stay patient and eager for more developments from CCP.

As always, keep beating the dead horse. Don't let CCP forget about that POS Overhaul!

Katrina Oniseki

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#16 - 2013-10-09 19:42:29 UTC
Torigoma wrote:
Gogela wrote:

That's what I am saying, if the Reinforced mode is anything under 8-12 hours (which condescending what has been said, it's far shorter), that makes them basically useless past temp storage for a hour or two, for mining or Missions. You could plop them down in Safespot, but if it gets scanned down while you are asleep or something, they your screwed.

Well t's not a POS. There are a lot of uses for it for piracy anyway... you can stock all of your gatecamping needs, bubbles, different fits in your depot and use it as a way station for your op. Yes there will be some nice targets out there... but it's not really your second home yet. Think of it as a camp site in the woods rather than a cabin.

ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-10-09 20:02:14 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Torigoma wrote:
Gogela wrote:

Well t's not a POS. There are a lot of uses for it for piracy anyway... you can stock all of your gatecamping needs, bubbles, different fits in your depot and use it as a way station for your op. Yes there will be some nice targets out there... but it's not really your second home yet. Think of it as a camp site in the woods rather than a cabin.

Alternatively think of it as a place to stash all that stolen moongoo waiting for the carrier or blackops to jump it out.

Dodixie > Hek

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#18 - 2013-10-09 21:14:24 UTC
ElQuirko wrote:

Alternatively think of it as a place to stash all that stolen moongoo waiting for the carrier or blackops to jump it out.

I like where your head's at. Big smile

Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-10-10 04:29:59 UTC
Gogela wrote:

Even then It's useless. The Siphon works in cycles.If the cycles are Short, then why not simply bring the Haulers directly to the Siphon? If the Cycles are long, then the Depots are not going to last long enough to be of any use.
Torigoma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#20 - 2013-10-10 04:34:07 UTC
Gogela wrote:
[quote=Torigoma][quote=Gogela]
Think of it as a camp site in the woods rather than a cabin.

This is what it seems like it is gonna be like. Which REALLY sucks.

In Essence, It's a big, scanable Secure Container but with Fitting system.

I understand they are not truly "Finished" yet, but I guess I was hoping this would be the start of the "Smallholdings" System we've been hoping for for years.
12Next page