These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The CSM Has Run Its Course

First post
Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#41 - 2013-10-04 22:55:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Disclosure: I have a disgusting phlegmy throat infection, which has put me in a foul mood, and the antibiotics mean I can't get a few drinks down on a Friday night, which means that I'd cheerfully shoot kittens at the moon if I could only get a kitten launcher and also some kittens.

A few running themes in these "grrr CSM" discussion really become intensely tedious after a while. One of the most common is the type who I will call - in order to frame the issue objectively - The Ignorant Lazy Entitled Whiner. You'll see a lot of posts by the TILEW crew, and they basically run along the following lines

TILEW wrote:
(1) No way in hell will I ever for an instant look beyond my own immediate narrow self interest

(2) And I refuse even more adamantly to inform myself about the issue that I'm going to whine about, so any attempt to discuss them with me means that you will have to bear the additional burden of dealing with someone who doesn't even understand what his own self-interest even is.

(3) I deeply and sullenly resent people who have something I don't, and that especially includes people who I percieve to have special information and power. Like the CSM.

(4) Since I would immediately abuse that information and influence as per ((1), it is inconceivable that the CSM members aren't all doing this all the time. I am not interested in facts here. I just know this.

(5) It's equally inconceivable that they are in any way intelligent, educated or competent. They aren't giving me what I want right now, therefore they're useless at best, actively malignant at worst. Anything I want should be ready by Next Business Day, and every failure to deliver this only underlines the incompetence and malice of the CSM.

(6) Whilst I won't bother to learn anything or even vote, I will sure as hell put in considerable time and effort to making a huge fuss when I don't get all my wishes NBD.

I have no - zero - nada - minus infinity - interest in encouraging or even forcing these people to vote. I do not view it as any kind of failure of the CSM, CCP or democracy that they are "not represented". To the contrary.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2013-10-04 23:55:19 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Telling them to shut the f* up unless they can back up themselves with a few thousand votes... well, that's not exactly motivational.

You appear to be laboring under the misapprehension that unless you can get elected to CSM, you are without any influence, but anyone who reviews the history of the organization and the EVE community as a whole will quickly come to realize that this is not the case.

While CSM members clearly have their own opinions, some of them strongly held, in my experience the most effective CSM members have been those who pay attention to the opinions of those who bother to get in contact with them, either privately or via the forums.

Furthermore, many CSM members were influential members of the community well before they got elected -- Hans Jagerblitzen (now CPM chairman), Ripard Teg, and Malcanis are obvious recent exemplars. One of the reasons I pushed hard for election reform was to make it easier for such respected members of the general community to get elected, because CSM is a force-multiplier for them -- and thus, for you.

That said, we all have our own ways of doing business. For example, Malcanis, Ripard and I will patiently listen to the opinions of community members (we are, after all, your representatives). However, Malcanis will bluntly tell you that you are a clueless idiot, Ripard will write a 5,000-word blog post about why you are wrong (with footnotes), and I will simply gently imply that you may be misinformed.

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2013-10-05 00:12:01 UTC
I do invite anybody who feels that 14% voter turnout to be too low. (and I agree with you on this) to help, come the next election to get out the vote. I am not saying you have to run. Just get the people who agree with you on issues to organize, to find someone you think will represent you.

It is NOT too early to start this discussion. Organization takes time.

Winter summit, I hope elections comes up as an issue so we can convince CCP to advertise better that the election even exists.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#44 - 2013-10-05 07:44:53 UTC
@ Trebor & Mike:

My judgement comes as a end user. With or without the CSM, my experience with EVE is that 5 years ago I did X stuff and now that stuff is the same, jsut older and tired. Actually, I would had left the game in 2010 if wasn't for Incarna. Since then, i've tried to make change the game in ways that suit me. I am inteligent enough to not ask for changes that would harm the game (FAI, arcade like PvP), but also i have noticed how different measures, and my own experience speaking with people, show that i am not a part of some tiny minority, but a part of a sizeable population which is too silent, self-centered, and disorganized, to force itself on CCP.

And it's a large population, nonetheless. Sometimes it's the 70% of characters that log in to hisec. Sometimes it's the "more than 50%" of "lurkers". Sometimes it's the 73% of new players who didn't consider PvP a factor in their decission to try the game. And on and on.

So, when i look at the CSM as the fruit of what being vocal, organized and devoted achieves, i wonder wether the CSM serves CCP by being beyond the reach of a large population who, albeit it's not comitted, nor vocal, nor organized, surely pays a lot of those precious monies CCP likes to get.

And in my personal selfish account, with the Hallelujah Plan aimed at non-soloers, non-carebears, non-hiseccers, non-casuals and non-PvErs, I wonder who's wrong, and what would be the case if the CSM usually had more than one person who claimed to defend the above groups... all of them known for being unorganized, silent, and more prone to quit than to speak their issues with the game. Most people I've met in the game no longer play, and this game is a disaster without some acquitances and buddies, even if they are "uncool" players who "do it wrong".

Even the uncool minorities are entitled an opinion... and i am crazy enough to express it rather than shy out after being told many times what a nasty person i am.

As much as i hate this game's foundations, i also like it and have a serious commitment to it. I'm a EVE fan, just not of the appropiate kind (i am even abstemious... Lol), and when i speak, i do it from the conviction that what i claim as good to me would also be good to the game. i may be wrong, but i am sincere too.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2013-10-05 10:39:57 UTC
Most people I've met in the game no longer play, and this game is a disaster without some acquitances and buddies, even if they are "uncool" players who "do it wrong".

Well, here is the problem. EVE is by far the most social MMO out there. It is built for people who want to play in groups -- that is it's "secret sauce."

While I would like better solo content for those times my buddies are not available, the thing that is going to keep differentiating EVE from other games, and prevent new competitors like Star Citizen from pissing in the Icelandic cornflakes is stuff that makes playing with your friends more fun.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#46 - 2013-10-05 12:28:37 UTC

So, when i look at the CSM as the fruit of what being vocal, organized and devoted achieves, i wonder wether the CSM serves CCP by being beyond the reach of a large population who, albeit it's not comitted, nor vocal, nor organized, surely pays a lot of those precious monies CCP likes to get.

See this is exactly the attitude that infuriates me. "Why should these guys who put all the effort and talent into getting their voices heard be the ones who get their voices heard. Surely people who don't give a **** and can't even explain their ideas should get equal time. What about the idle dullard?"

Well what about him? If someone can't take the 5 minutes (it used to be 1 minute, but now STV) required once per damb year to vote, why should anyone spend more effort than that concerning themselves with their particular requirements?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-10-05 12:44:12 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Well what about him? If someone can't take the 5 minutes (it used to be 1 minute, but now STV) required once per damb year to vote, why should anyone spend more effort than that concerning themselves with their particular requirements?

Actually, I don't completely agree here. Once elected, CSMs do have a responsibility to represent the interests of the entire community, even those too apathetic to vote.

Of course, since they are so apathetic, they never bother to let us know what their concerns are -- and as the saying goes, "the squeaky pod gets the goo"

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#48 - 2013-10-05 12:55:08 UTC
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
Most people I've met in the game no longer play, and this game is a disaster without some acquitances and buddies, even if they are "uncool" players who "do it wrong".

Well, here is the problem. EVE is by far the most social MMO out there. It is built for people who want to play in groups -- that is it's "secret sauce."

While I would like better solo content for those times my buddies are not available, the thing that is going to keep differentiating EVE from other games, and prevent new competitors like Star Citizen from pissing in the Icelandic cornflakes is stuff that makes playing with your friends more fun.

Be noted that this does not necessarily mean making everything you can do on your own a total piel of garbage (FAI, Odyssey's loot spew).

Also, call me weirdo, but splitting solo rewards is the exact opposite of rewarding you for binging in some friends. 2 mission runners running Lvl4s on their own inject, say, 60 million ISK per hour into the system; but if they run them together, they merely get 30 million ISK.

That's because missions are static canned content and are not really meant to be done by a group of players.

Of course, there's group PvE, aka incursions, but CCP murdered it when they decided that only the best fleet would get any profit -so they essentilaly assured that such content would be farmed by dedicated corporations, hostile to outsiders.

Making player-generated pve content, with a backgrond of non-ship PvP, would make for a win-win solution. It would add more PvP beyond asploding ships and would deliver developer-free content to passive consumers of it.

Of course, people who think that this is good, don't even vote the CSM... but also they won't give CCP money so they develop nullsec 2.0 and call it worth 3 years of development.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#49 - 2013-10-05 16:04:09 UTC
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Actually, I don't completely agree here. Once elected, CSMs do have a responsibility to represent the interests of the entire community, even those too apathetic to vote.

Of course, since they are so apathetic, they never bother to let us know what their concerns are -- and as the saying goes, "the squeaky pod gets the goo"

Yeah that's the thing though. They won't spend 5 minutes voting, or an hour informing themselves, or ten seconds listening, but they sure are ready to spend any amount of their time on complaining.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#50 - 2013-10-05 16:50:05 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Yeah that's the thing though. They won't spend 5 minutes voting, or an hour informing themselves, or ten seconds listening, but they sure are ready to spend any amount of their time on complaining.

Complaining... where? Shocked

They just quit, Malcanis. How many threads do you recall about the lack of evolution of this or that "fringe" content? Now, if you were advising CCP as a company, what would you choose?

- actively engage customers before they quit so they have a chance to complain and have their issues adressed, even if they just whine
- f*ck those wannabe whiners and let them quit rather than let them spill their whines, you don't need customers anyway

Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-10-05 17:55:52 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Welcome to life as a Representative of the People.

What, you thought I schemed to get you on CSM because I liked you? Silly Malcanis! Twisted

Pap Uhotih
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#52 - 2013-10-05 19:38:11 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

I think you are lumping two things together incorrectly. There is a service the CSM provides which is separate to the way the CSM is selected. The purpose of the CSM is pretty much always present in game development, in some cases a single member of staff takes the role in meetings and at the opposite extreme you have the 'dream' of the CSM. My point being, as I know you don't like reading, that it the CSM is a highly peculiar thing to encounter and that it is reasonable that people don't 'get it'.

I like a good complain about some things - high sec war mainly - because I can see the number of people that fall into the 'last month' category after one and know that it exceeds the number of people that the war retained. I will quite happily complain with a passion about a system like that as I can clearly see a volume of people that are not sticking about long enough to even be able to vote or moan - that irritates me so I irritate you and maybe you may irritate CCP but at that level its up to you to decide which irritation is most valid from the choices provided by the players.
That is one of the risks of the CSM, that it forces the game into an ever decreasing circle as by its nature it fails to take any account of those that are not prepared to suffer doing battle on these forums.
Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#53 - 2013-10-05 20:34:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Issler Dainze
So as someone that has participated from the beginning to almost where the CSM is now, I can say that the CSM itself is better than ever, the quality of the members the best it has ever been. Process and communication within the CSM are fantastic and I don't believe you could be elected if you aren't going to take the obligation seriously.

I also believe that the CSM has had great influence on the game. That said, some of that change takes time. Darius posted a great post pointing out stuff the first CSM suggested now in the game. I can see thing in Eve we pushed in the second CSM. So there can be a lot of "lag" to see the effect.

The CSM has also been very effective at sharing to the player base the postmortem of occasional CCP shenanigans.

What I now see as the problem is CCP invested a lot to make the CSM and keeps shooting itself in its monument by forgetting to use the CSM as a sanity check before they go off and commit to some very bad ideas.

Some parts of CCP seem to get the value of the CSM and does leverage them as a partner to make their improvement to Eve the best possible. However not all of CCP seems committed to the CSM.

CCP it is time to finally REALLY commit to the CSM really being a full stakeholder in ANYTHING you are doing in Eve. The rule should be "Am I going to introduce some new element to Eve or do something to affect an existing thing?" If the answer is yes you are required to loop in the CSM BEFORE you are allowed to do it.

CCP, truly commit to the CSM and make them part of the gate before you mess with the game. Try that for the next two CSMs and then come back and review. If CCP commits to that and after two more terms you can't see how much they helped make the game better then pull the plug, but I bet if you really do commit the CSM as a full partner you will really find what a brilliant idea the CSM was.

Issler
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#54 - 2013-10-06 06:34:27 UTC
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Welcome to life as a Representative of the People.

What, you thought I schemed to get you on CSM because I liked you? Silly Malcanis! Twisted

No, I've long since abandoned that illusion.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#55 - 2013-10-06 08:39:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Issler Dainze wrote:
So as someone that has participated from the beginning to almost where the CSM is now, I can say that the CSM itself is better than ever, the quality of the members the best it has ever been. Process and communication within the CSM are fantastic and I don't believe you could be elected if you aren't going to take the obligation seriously.

I also believe that the CSM has had great influence on the game. That said, some of that change takes time. Darius posted a great post pointing out stuff the first CSM suggested now in the game. I can see thing in Eve we pushed in the second CSM. So there can be a lot of "lag" to see the effect.

The CSM has also been very effective at sharing to the player base the postmortem of occasional CCP shenanigans.

What I now see as the problem is CCP invested a lot to make the CSM and keeps shooting itself in its monument by forgetting to use the CSM as a sanity check before they go off and commit to some very bad ideas.

Some parts of CCP seem to get the value of the CSM and does leverage them as a partner to make their improvement to Eve the best possible. However not all of CCP seems committed to the CSM.

CCP it is time to finally REALLY commit to the CSM really being a full stakeholder in ANYTHING you are doing in Eve. The rule should be "Am I going to introduce some new element to Eve or do something to affect an existing thing?" If the answer is yes you are required to loop in the CSM BEFORE you are allowed to do it.

CCP, truly commit to the CSM and make the part of the gate before you mess with the game. Try that for the next two CSMs and then come back and review. If CCP commits to that and after two more terms you can't see how much they helped make the game better then pull the plug, but I bet if you really do commit the CSM as a full partner you will really find what a brilliant idea the CSM was.

Issler

I am a firm believer of the "odd man theory", and so i totally agree i with you.

From CCP's point of view, they may ask, "why should we listen to some total outsiders?", and the answer is: "you should listen to them right because they're total outsiders and the measure of your success will be taken by total outsiders like them".

One of the things that continuously baffles me about CCP, it's the corporate inability to get things right even if they are absurdly obvious.

Taking the latest PR disaster as a case in point, CCP avoided the first stage of the Somergate because the CSM pulled their weight and CCP listened to them, but then the second stage of the Somergate was seeded time ago, in secret, by a qualified employee who should had known better but didn't. OK, everyone makes mistakes so there's no point to ask for CCP Navigator's head, but the question is, how can go out a idea that wouldn't go out if it had been checked by anyone but the guy who did it?

If the idea was checked by someone else and CCP as a corporation approved it, then CCP seriously needs to improve its sanity checks.

On the other hand, expecting a corporation to make evry decission with customer feedback is both unpractical and lethal, because all in all, the customers are not the experts. But CCP as a company displays a certain inability to prevent PR disasters, and so as Issler points, checking wether something could go wrong and then ask the CSM first should be given a try. The part of CCP who don't use, know or trust the CSM, should be severely scolded each time they flop and the CSM could had saved them the issue.

With its limitations, the CSM is one of the most powerful customer relations tools in industry, and CCP is disservicing itself by not using it more, at least for customer relations.

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2013-10-08 10:43:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
Mike Azariah wrote:
I do invite anybody who feels that 14% voter turnout to be too low. (and I agree with you on this) to help, come the next election to get out the vote. I am not saying you have to run. Just get the people who agree with you on issues to organize, to find someone you think will represent you.

It is NOT too early to start this discussion. Organization takes time.

Winter summit, I hope elections comes up as an issue so we can convince CCP to advertise better that the election even exists.

m

Why lend additional legitimacy to this CCP marketing stunt?

Even during the Incarna outrage the CSM happily played along with CCP's attempts at damage control and that really tells us all there is to it - all your power derives from your role in EVE and thus from CCP and at the end of the day that is where your loyalties are.

If this ship goes down you will clinch to it until the last moment, not capable of letting go, telling yourself that with enough words and concessions you will somehow convince the iceberg to move out of the way. You are just a marketing stunt, unreliable in representing player interest because you are wedded too tightly to this game and company.

Someone as heavily invested into EVE as the CSM has almost no leverage against CCP.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#57 - 2013-10-09 06:48:45 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:

Even during the Incarna outrage the CSM happily played along with CCP's attempts at damage control and that really tells us all there is to it - all your power derives from your role in EVE and thus from CCP and at the end of the day that is where your loyalties are.

Yes that's absolutely what happened Roll

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2013-10-09 06:58:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Snow Axe
Malcanis wrote:
Vera Algaert wrote:

Sins of a Solar Spymaster #61 - In Defense of Incarna

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2013-10-09 09:13:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
Malcanis wrote:
Vera Algaert wrote:

At the end of the day all leverage a customer has against a company stems from two sources: His own ability to stop purchasing the company's products and his ability to stop others from purchasing the company's products.

Real customer representatives would aim to organize and coordinate customers in order to allow them to exercise these powers more effectively, maximizing their negotiating position towards the company.

The main goal of the CSM on the other hand is to convince CCP's customers not to exercise these powers under any circumstances. Instead of strengthening the customers' position the CSM seeks to dilute it, to abandon the only source of actual power a customer has in favor of empty titles ("stakeholder") and the hope that some day CCP might take the CSM seriously.

But for as long as the CSM is a CCP-organized body staffed by those who are invested most heavily in their ongoing relationship with CCP that won't happen.

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2013-10-09 09:18:28 UTC
And, yes, that is totally what happened.

Even the CSM members themselves realized (by September, I think) just how stupid they had been to play along with CCP's "emergency summit" damage control charade.