These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Online - Chat Channel Linking for MotD\Other Channels

Author
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1 - 2013-10-08 18:33:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
A lot of searching through Google left me fumbling in the dark for how to make this possible and so I present to you:

EVE Online MotD - Chat Channel Linking for MotD

This can't be edited and posted IG so you have to write the code in something like Notepad++ and then paste it IG.

You need four parts to enable this to work:

• Have Access to the Chat Channel
  • Have access to edit the MotD
  • Get the Channel ID
  • Apply the Channel ID to the code

To get the joinChannel: ID you need to join the chat channel IG and then browse to somewhere like this:

"C:\Users\Maximus Aerelius\Documents\EVE\logs\Chatlogs"

In there will be a file named Help_20131008_181451.txt for the channel you joined in the above step.

Open the file and in the top of that file is:

Channel ID: -123456756

Take the whole of that number and the '-' if it has it and enter it into Notepad++.

Now build that information into this code (cannot link it direct to this post): http://i.imgur.com/G1pyAgt.jpg

The part after joinChannel: (in the top example in my screenshot it's 2) is where you enter the code from the above Chat Log.

The Help, E-Uni or Bogus Channel is where you name the Link for your MotD Link.

Idea Stop Here If You Only Want MotD Code Idea

To Post Links IG to other Chat Channels

You need to format your links Out-Of-Game (OOG) so follow the instructions set out above.
Next, to keep them all handy for use open Notepad IG and copy and paste the links into a New Note. They will appear as Hyperlinked text. Drag and drop into any channel you require to help those Rookies out.

If you are struggling with any of this then please feel free to EVE-Mail me or post a reply in here. If you can add to this thread with more functions please feel free to as this is quite obscure to those of us who try and look like blind men in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there ShockedBig smile
Shellac Brookdale
Cutting Edge Incorporated
RAZOR Alliance
#2 - 2013-10-08 19:10:18 UTC
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#3 - 2013-10-08 20:23:55 UTC
Shellac Brookdale wrote:
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome. It may save someone else's hair (and my own when I lose my notes again and have to google) and may just benefit entire Corps or Fleets out there. You never know.
Jita Parkerman
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-10-10 15:26:11 UTC
there is another and easier way to get links to chat channels however you need to have the recruiter role for a corporation and operator access of the chat room you would like a link to.

Steps:
1. create a recruitment advert.
2. on the second tab of the recruitment advert, choose the chat channel you would like a link of as the recruitment channel.
3. publish the recruitment advert
4. go to the recruitment advert and drag and drop the channel to your in game notepad.
5. delete the recruitment advert - the link to the channel will still work and will be forever saved in your notepad unless you delete it.