These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Boosters are going to be big

Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#41 - 2011-11-16 05:55:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
I can't speak in great detail on this subject, not having tried my hand in the drug manufacturing trade, but I do have a small amount of insight that might be helpful.

The large alliances I have been a part of or interacted closely with have largely ignored their drug manufacturing capability. The raw materials are rarely harvested, the drug specific manufacturing lines go unused. I can only assume it was due to profitability in the past compared with other occupations. Again, remember this is gleaned from casual observation... and while I get around obviously there are some of the major players that I don't have intimate knowledge of due to my past affiliations.

You are correct in that most of the small amount that was produced was consumed primarily by alliance members on "special occasions".

If the price of the strong variants shoot up, that should change. Of course, demand within the alliance may go up as well.

As far a drawbacks were concerned, most of the pilots I knew were the type to take that chance. However it was not because the drawbacks were of no concern. In the chaos of null sec warfare drawbacks like a lower amount of armor and shield could indeed mean the difference between surviving an engagement long enough for that superior repping to save you (for example as you gain range from some of the inbound damage)... and of course out there alpha is "always" a concern unless you are simply out trying to pay your bills doing some PVE. Mainly those pilots took their chances because of their aggressive attitude, more than willing to roll the dice for a chance at pulling off a brag worthy exploit.

Either way, the loss of drawbacks will be considered a big plus by most and I do see demand rising sharply... along side price. I have no idea if manufacturing supplies will be able to keep up. I would not be surprised in the least if this has already been looked at and we see a dev blog mentioning that those supplies will be more available as well.

High sec pilots are still going to have the issue of legality to deal with, so strong variants may not see that much more demand there (but I doubt it). But the low strength varieties may come into vogue.

I didn't get on here until the test server entered a downtime. Does someone have accurate info they would be willing to share on any boosts to the weaker varieties? If they got tweaked as well I can see them filling the void in Empire.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Tamiya Sarossa
Resistance is Character Forming
#42 - 2011-11-16 14:31:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Tamiya Sarossa
Grath Telkin wrote:

Tamiya Sarossa wrote:
TLDR: I want to keep the old effectiveness, even if it means keeping side effects. Can be a higher teir of boosters, I don't care. Still spacemad over my lack of 30% repping bonuses.

I mean the duration thing makes it promising to pop these in station in highsec and blitz missions for awhile, but that shouldn't be the market boosters are aimed at. I'd be willing to pay a premium to get my 30, 35% boosts back.

So basically, you've not personally tried the test server version out, you just read something that somebody else posted then came and posted a lot of :words: about it, all of which are based on false assumptions or an incomplete understanding of the current game environment.

Then you called me dumb.

I see.

Or I've tried the test server version out, seen that the boosters I use - exile and blue pill - have lost 5% of their effectiveness (30% to 25%, so really 16%, but :maths:), and found that is in fact a nerf to my playstyle - solo active tanking.

If you seriously think that being alphaed is a worry in a rep cyclone, myrm, or domi, then I don't know what to say. At the point where you get alphaed, you are already going to die a very messy death. Buffer is somewhat helpful in situations where incoming DPS is jussst over what you can tank, but you're rarely in that narrow slice - it's either you can tank or you can't, which is why every 5% matters.

While I can see that this is a buff to fleet actions and perhaps to the Drop and other boosters, for Exile and Blue Pill, the two that I use, I would gladly have them retain their side effects and keep the 5% extra efficiency that can make the difference between life or death. In that context, this is a nerf, and I'll stick by my points.
Grukni
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#43 - 2011-11-16 15:09:35 UTC
I guess CCP wants a more widespread use of boosters so they can introduce the new game mechanics for smuggling they talked about at the fanfest. I've always had a possitive attitude to a boost to the underworld part of EVE (were WiS could play a role)

But I would like to see CCP retaining some kind of drawback, like addiction, going cold turkey some time after taking the pills if no more boosters are taken, or a 'hangover' for some limited time after the positive effects of the booster are gone.
Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#44 - 2011-11-16 15:17:43 UTC
Grukni wrote:
I guess CCP wants a more widespread use of boosters so they can introduce the new game mechanics for smuggling they talked about at the fanfest. I've always had a possitive attitude to a boost to the underworld part of EVE (were WiS could play a role)

But I would like to see CCP retaining some kind of drawback, like addiction, going cold turkey some time after taking the pills if no more boosters are taken, or a 'hangover' for some limited time after the positive effects of the booster are gone.

Well, there's gotta be more than meets the eye to these changes. I really hope we see a Dev Blog soon to explain this. The booster changes dont make much sense if done in a vacuum. If they are giving smuggling new mechanics, than dumbing down boosters for the masses kinda makes sense. If not though, I don't understand what they're doing, feedback has been almost unanimously negative. Perhaps there's changes to the spawning rate of LADAR sites, or contraband enforcement being handed to players, but without either of these the booster "fixes" are just going to wreak havoc on the market prices and probably be counterproductive if the goal is to make them more widely used.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

MaiLina KaTar
Katar Corp
#45 - 2011-11-16 15:43:13 UTC
Don't like it. It'll make their use mandatory where possible, pretty much. It's like vanilla WoW with alle the raidbuff farming madness.
Aloe Cloveris
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#46 - 2011-11-16 23:39:42 UTC
Out of curiosity someone on Sisi wanna look up Edge implants and see what their new bonuses are? Thanks in advance.
Renan Ruivo
Hengetools Consumer Products S.A.
#47 - 2011-11-16 23:45:56 UTC
Traficking is ilegal. Using, however, is not.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Terminal Insanity
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#48 - 2011-11-17 00:07:58 UTC
MaiLina KaTar wrote:
Don't like it. It'll make their use mandatory where possible, pretty much. It's like vanilla WoW with alle the raidbuff farming madness.

Catching on

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Autonomous Monster
Paradox Interstellar
#49 - 2011-11-17 00:53:28 UTC
Aloe Cloveris wrote:
Out of curiosity someone on Sisi wanna look up Edge implants and see what their new bonuses are? Thanks in advance.

Still reduce side effects. "\\TODO later" I guess.
Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#50 - 2011-11-17 04:28:04 UTC
Grukni wrote:

Or a reduction in the existing drawbacks so that they're a lot rarer and not as severe.

(Removal of the side effects entirely is "lazy developer".)
Sri Nova
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2011-11-17 04:35:35 UTC
i just wished i could receive a bonus for being drug free :(
Zarnak Wulf
Amarrian Vengeance
Team Amarrica
#52 - 2011-11-17 04:57:04 UTC
1) Introduce more boosters. Off the top of my head - overheating, drone speed, drone range, drone optimal, electronic warfare, etc.
2) Make certain combinations have side effect- up to death Twisted
3) Add some uncertainty to manufacturing boosters. Inefficiencies = side effects
sYnc Vir
Wolfsbrigade
Ghost Legion.
#53 - 2011-11-17 05:25:41 UTC  |  Edited by: sYnc Vir
Karah Serrigan wrote:
How is the already limited supply keep up with the suddenly huuuuuuuuuuge demand?

By raising the price x10 and dancing the happy dance, I would suspect. Time to Stock pile.

Don't ask about Italics, just tilt your head.

Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
Siberian Squads
#54 - 2011-11-17 05:37:25 UTC
I wonder why it took 11 days for this thread to pop up? :)

Still, I guess I should have bought more Bear

Now those of us having invested in it have to hope CCP won't screw up with manufacturing to boost the supply.

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

Jiji Hamin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2011-11-17 07:39:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Jiji Hamin
Raid'En wrote:
Karah Serrigan wrote:
How is the already limited supply keep up with the suddenly huuuuuuuuuuge demand?

well price will go up of course.
i'm sure traders are already buying all stocks.

guess who has been loading up their army of alts with multiple billions of booster related stuffs ever since that first thread over a week ago when the chaos data about booster buffage was first mentioned. <---- this guy.

ALL MAH ISK IN BOOSTER RELATED STUFFS (mostly) IN JITAAA :( I'm scared. what if they nerf build costs to compensate?
Wild Rho
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#56 - 2011-11-17 07:57:07 UTC
I can imagine the FC comms on an op, "ok everyone get stoned on my mark!".
Xyrcaryn
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#57 - 2011-11-17 08:09:57 UTC
Side effects are not the problem, problem is manufacturing boosters is too complicated
Remove requirement for gases/boosters from other region or replace it with some PI **** and it should be good.
Red Templar
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2011-11-17 08:29:40 UTC
Sooo as the result of these changes, boosters become more used, and null/low sec regions when they can be found and manufactured will become more lucrative? We can see more fighting over these resourses, and more people will be attracted to this part of industry, because of increased profits.

And this is bad how exactly?

I dont see a problem with this at all. Lowsec/nullsec should give better profit and more things to do. Contraband and illigal goods were dead part of the game. Hopefully this will raise the interest to them and increase value of low sec regions.

Maybe locations of these resourses need to be tweaked and adjusted, so that it has better accesability by smaller corps/alliances that are bold enough to fight for them. But thats the only issue i see here.

I hope we will see more of the products/items that will be low sec only and illigal in high-sec. Low-sec pirates really could use a boost.

[b]For Love. For Peace. For Honor.

For None of the Above.

For Pony![/b]

mkint
#59 - 2011-11-17 08:30:57 UTC
another buff to RMT friends. That's all we needed.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Myyona
Ataraxia Pharmacies
#60 - 2011-11-17 08:58:16 UTC
Xyrcaryn wrote:
Side effects are not the problem, problem is manufacturing boosters is too complicated
Remove requirement for gases/boosters from other region or replace it with some PI **** and it should be good.

If I could "dislike" your post I would.Sad

CEO - Ataraxia Pharmacies Personal Biography