These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1241 - 2013-10-07 19:33:59 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Yes. Big whoop. It's a game where there is an expectation of the devs staying impartial and not unduly favouring any one part. Their proving themselves partial and favouring specific entities for no adequate reason is a problem, no matter how much you want to dismiss it and the people pointing out this fact.

And there it is. You and others held an unreasonable expectation and areresponding to the violation of the expectation. Their is no real world law saying any game company has to be impartial. Because there is no such law, when you make an informed decision to hand a business you money despite no such guarantee, you are taking a risk.

I've simply never held that expectation (in this game, or in life in general where there is a law protecting a specified right or privilage ) and i find such expectations to be silly, even if that expectation is old and the community bought into it.

It's ccp's property. They could give all of null sec (for example) to one group. My reaction (beyond the 1st knee jerk 10 seconds of anger, where ever shall I get my nullbear on now?) would end with a click of unsub button, followed by more clicking to get to the Star Citizen kickstarter site since SC is gonna kill EVE anyways.
Solstice Project's Alt
Doomheim
#1242 - 2013-10-07 19:35:53 UTC
Anomaly One wrote:
Quote:
Your opinion is yours ... but saying that people are silly ...
... while at the same time admitting that you were like that ...
... "genuinely" ... makes you look like a questionable character in my eyes.
(i lack words to properly describe how i perceive this)

I used to do something that was stupid
I have grown out of it and realized I shouldn't do it so I no longer do this thing
It is no longer stupid?
Thanks ... i completely missed this other perspective.

Buy Solstice Project for PLEX4GOOD ! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=301266 (this alt-character will get deleted once the sale is done, on 6th of december)

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1243 - 2013-10-07 19:38:49 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:

I swear you come off like a first semester psychologist on like every single post. Why do you feel the need to break down people's posts to the motives behind them?

Well, I did double major in psycology and criminal justice...

But the main point is, I like to get to the bottom of a situation, to see WHY im right and others or wrong or why I'm wrong and everyone else should STFU because I'm never wrong...

I'm not going to change any minds, but again, THIS IS A DISCUSSION BOARD. If you want a board full of yes men, go make "www.FansofSexyCakes.com" and make one of the rules for posting be "must always agree with Sexy Cakes, because these cankes ain't a lie" or something.

One more thing, the constant pleading about why I'm posting demonstrates a level of insecurity about the position being discussed. I read that in a psycology textbook once a long time ago Twisted

Quote:

Learn to take things at face value and not debunk people's comments based on your (badly) perceived reasons behind their post.

In other words, lie.

No
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#1244 - 2013-10-07 19:39:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Jenn aSide wrote:
And there it is. You and others held an unreasonable expectation
I don't call it unreasonable to expect the judges to be impartial to whatever it is they're judging. You are being very very silly now.

Quote:
Their is no real world law saying any game company has to be impartial.
…which explains why there have never been any cases of bribery or judging bias or skewed rulings in any game ever. Oh wait.
Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#1245 - 2013-10-07 19:40:47 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Yes. Big whoop. It's a game where there is an expectation of the devs staying impartial and not unduly favouring any one part. Their proving themselves partial and favouring specific entities for no adequate reason is a problem, no matter how much you want to dismiss it and the people pointing out this fact.

And there it is. You and others held an unreasonable expectation and areresponding to the violation of the expectation. Their is no real world law saying any game company has to be impartial. Because there is no such law, when you make an informed decision to hand a business you money despite no such guarantee, you are taking a risk.

I've simply never held that expectation (in this game, or in life in general where there is a law protecting a specified right or privilage ) and i find such expectations to be silly, even if that expectation is old and the community bought into it.

It's ccp's property. They could give all of null sec (for example) to one group. My reaction (beyond the 1st knee jerk 10 seconds of anger, where ever shall I get my nullbear on now?) would end with a click of unsub button, followed by more clicking to get to the Star Citizen kickstarter site since SC is gonna kill EVE anyways.

I think many people started playing EvE based on this expactation (sandbox, players, not devs make the story'n'stuff) and at the same time the game itself promotes itself based on this promise.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#1246 - 2013-10-07 19:41:18 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

One more thing, the constant pleading about why I'm posting demonstrates a level of insecurity about the position being discussed. I read that in a psycology textbook once a long time ago Twisted

1. You are out in left field on this discussion, as you usually are.

2. You annoy me.

3. I'm bored at work.

:ireadbooks:

Not today spaghetti.

Solstice Project's Alt
Doomheim
#1247 - 2013-10-07 19:43:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project's Alt
Tippia wrote:
Just because the current dev has more backing than the previous one doesn't change the nature of what they're doing. It only shows that the cronyism has become endemic, which is actually worse than a single guy doing it on his own. They're not different issues — they're the exact same issue with different layers of excuses to cover for it.

The only difference between the two is one of scale: T20 was a lot smaller in size and effect, and less troublesome in terms of policy.
Uhm ... yes ... but ... that ... doesn't ... really ... change ... the ... facts ...

In one case, one guy did it without anybody else at CCP knowing it.
In the other case, the whole company (or the responsibles) knew it and gave an order to do it.

In one case we have corporate "favouritism"* like it is now and in the other ... we don't. *(as people call it)
In one case, it's CCPs doing and in the other, it's an individuals doing.

You say there is only one difference, (the one you point out)
and i point out at least one other difference, which makes them TWO differences already ...

Furthermore, calling it endemic, when the other case was years ago ...
... made by one individual guy without the order of his uppers ...
... which shows that it's pretty much a completely different case ...

... wtf ...

These cases are only connected superficially by the fact that somebody secretly gave stuff to somebody else.

Buy Solstice Project for PLEX4GOOD ! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=301266 (this alt-character will get deleted once the sale is done, on 6th of december)

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1248 - 2013-10-07 19:45:13 UTC
Solstice Project's Alt wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
After years of getting genuinely angry at stuff like this, I grew out of it, because it's silly.

So you admit that in the years you genuinely got angry about stuff like this,
you simply were silly ?

You know ... I've noticed that we often agree on things.
We even agree with this, to some extent.

I personally don't care that CCP did it ...
... but there seem to be enough people who care, so i care with them.

Your opinion is yours ... but saying that people are silly ...
... while at the same time admitting that you were like that ...
... "genuinely" ... makes you look like a questionable character in my eyes.
(i lack words to properly describe how i perceive this)

Not sure if it's hypocrisy. Think about it.

You yourself say you got genuinely angry, but now you have grown out of it and it's silly.

That's bull and in no way mirrors a "grown up" opinion.
For when *you* do it, it's genuine,
but now as you don't, it's silly.

Please correct me if i understood you wrong.

When I was a kid, all manner of things were important.

Now that I'm just shy of 40, I can see those thigns for what they are and where. SILLY.

If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you. i used to get so many at FASA Interactive/Microsoft because of what they were doing with the Battletech IP. So mad at Lucas Arts because of the Star Wars stuff etc. Eventually, I realized that I was being dumb, there are rwal actual bad things going on in this world and none of it involves video games.

It's ok for a customer to dislike what a company does, but this reaction reminds me of a small protest I was assigned to work at a wal-mart a few years ago. It wasn't over workers rights, or child labor in China. wal-mart had littlerally stopped selling a certain brand of something and people were mad at that. Oh the indignity of having to be forced to shop at Super Target...
Tasha Saisima
Doomheim
#1249 - 2013-10-07 19:46:34 UTC
I don't see any issue with what CCP did
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#1250 - 2013-10-07 19:48:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
In one case, one guy did it without anybody else at CCP knowing it.
In the other case, the whole company (or the responsibles) knew it and gave an order to do it.
…and that just makes the second case worse than the first.

Quote:
You say there is only one difference, (the one you point out)
and i point out at least one other difference, which makes them TWO differences already ...
…and I'm saying that he second difference isn't actually a difference in what the issue is: devs favouring a single entity under a veil of secrecy. More of them thinking this bad idea is a good idea doesn't change what it is they're doing.

Quote:
Furthermore, calling it endemic, when the other case was years ago ...
... made by one individual guy without the order of his uppers ...
... which shows that it's pretty much a completely different case ...

... wtf ...
I'm calling it endemic because the notion that it's ok for the devs to hand out special favours to specific groups for no adequate reason has spread from just one person to a whole bunch of them. What was just a single dev being stupid is now endemic in all of them (and this spread of a bad idea is then trotted out as an excuse for this behaviour).
Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1251 - 2013-10-07 19:51:16 UTC
Yeah it's dumb to try to have any kind of dialogue when you're unhappy with a particular situation. Just put up with it or walk away. Communication? Who needs that?

/gets divorced after first argument about toilet paper roll placement
Riyal
invidious Squid
#1252 - 2013-10-07 19:51:41 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Soooo… T20? Good idea, or best idea?
I don't understand why people bring this up.
People at CCP didn't know he was doing it, so how do people draw a connection ?
These are completely different issues.

It's just superficially connected by the fact that somebody got stuff and nobody talked about it.
Back then, though, it was only one guy who didn't have the blessings of CCP to do it.

I find it disturbing that it's now CCP policy to hand out valuable items to their friends, it's as if the t20 indlcident would have been fully supported if it happened now.

CCP knew the traded value of the ships when they handed them out, they didn't do anything to address this perceived value by announcing it publicly, and only a few select members of a long list of community sites have ever recieved them.

In hindsight my post should have had more psssshhhh

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1253 - 2013-10-07 19:51:45 UTC
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Tippia wrote:

I think many people started playing EvE based on this expactation (sandbox, players, not devs make the story'n'stuff) and at the same time the game itself promotes itself based on this promise.

True, but if people actually BELIEVE it's the case, I have beach front property in Montana they should take a look at.

We've seen it many times. Companies have used consumers expectations to their advantage, but when the real rubber meets the road, they prove that those expectations are vapor. Like when a game goes free to play (after selling people lifetime subscriptions lol).

Many people aren't being informed consumers. If it ain't in writing, you don't have a leg to stand on when a company changes course. If people want to speak out in this case, they should do so by unsubbing (for real). But people making noise on a forum while still playing the game is silly.

I've been unhappy about things in EVE (the general "safer" direction it's been), but for my own sanity i've developed a philosophical outlook about it all. I hope EVE (in or near it's current form) lasts for ever, but if it doesn't it's not the end of the world. I'll just make a bunch of paper airplanes, name them "Guristas and Blood Raiders", get some rubber bands and rat in my living room lol.
Solstice Project's Alt
Doomheim
#1254 - 2013-10-07 19:52:02 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
When I was a kid, all manner of things were important.

Now that I'm just shy of 40, I can see those thigns for what they are and where. SILLY.

If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you. i used to get so many at FASA Interactive/Microsoft because of what they were doing with the Battletech IP. So mad at Lucas Arts because of the Star Wars stuff etc. Eventually, I realized that I was being dumb, there are rwal actual bad things going on in this world and none of it involves video games.

It's ok for a customer to dislike what a company does, but this reaction reminds me of a small protest I was assigned to work at a wal-mart a few years ago. It wasn't over workers rights, or child labor in China. wal-mart had littlerally stopped selling a certain brand of something and people were mad at that. Oh the indignity of having to be forced to shop at Super Target...
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Although i agree that there are worse things going on in the world
and although i also agree that people might have to rethink their priorities,
you do know perfectly well that everything is just a matter of perspective.

"The" rich-white-girl whining about her first world problems still feels bad about what's going on,
even if it seems like a completely ridiculous issue. It doesn't change the fact that the feelings are real.

You call it silly, while completely dismissing their emotional reality. (is there a proper english term for that ?)

This is not "grown up", but "ignorant of how others feel about things".

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1255 - 2013-10-07 19:54:28 UTC
Johnny Marzetti wrote:
Yeah it's dumb to try to have any kind of dialogue when you're unhappy with a particular situation. Just put up with it or walk away. Communication? Who needs that?

Yea, it's so much better to stay in an unhappy marriage you now know won't work (because your spouse cheated on you, with SOMER no less) for years, rather than (as we say in my neck of the woods) Cut bait and be done with it.

As someone who spent some years arguing with what would become an ex-wife, you're damn right I say put up with it or walk away.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1256 - 2013-10-07 19:54:41 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:

I swear you come off like a first semester psychologist on like every single post. Why do you feel the need to break down people's posts to the motives behind them?

Well, I did double major in psycology and criminal justice...

But the main point is, I like to get to the bottom of a situation, to see WHY im right and others or wrong or why I'm wrong and everyone else should STFU because I'm never wrong...

I'm not going to change any minds, but again, THIS IS A DISCUSSION BOARD. If you want a board full of yes men, go make "www.FansofSexyCakes.com" and make one of the rules for posting be "must always agree with Sexy Cakes, because these cankes ain't a lie" or something.

Quote:

Learn to take things at face value and not debunk people's comments based on your (badly) perceived reasons behind their post.

In other words, lie.

No

Christ, you're such a big child.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1257 - 2013-10-07 19:56:08 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
IHaveCandyGetInTheVan69 wrote:
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
Irony.

Finally someone got it.

Still /popcorn Blink

I thought you had more taste than that Scultz...

Naming your alt IHaveCandyGetIntTheVan69.... cmon man.

Lol

I also drink Jack Daniels, nice shots of it while smoking my favorite Camel cigarettes. Usually doing the paperwork part of my business and while reading some silly stuff on Eve O for personal amusement.
All of this fuss and stuff clearly amazes me, its good stuff, also tells a lot about many players state of mind and I can't stop /double+triple facepalm Lol

I'd also rather name my alt MilfsAreGoodDotCom but welp, it's not possible so... Lol

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1258 - 2013-10-07 19:57:35 UTC
CCP has only trolls to defend them on this one. There no point to discuss with them.
Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1259 - 2013-10-07 19:58:34 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Johnny Marzetti wrote:

Yea, it's so much better to stay in an unhappy marriage you now know won't work (because your spouse cheated on you, with SOMER no less) for years, rather than (as we say in my neck of the woods) Cut bait and be done with it.

As someone who spent some years arguing with what would become an ex-wife, you're damn right I say put up with it or walk away.

Actually I was referring to all the "CCP has the legal right to do what it wants therefore nobody should complain" posts. I should have quoted something but this site is a ***** to use on a phone.
Musca Sklir
Doomheim
#1260 - 2013-10-07 19:59:00 UTC
Sugar Von MurdererTits wrote:
Musca Sklir wrote:
hello ccp are you there!?

or do we need to emphasize our need for an official update somehow?

I'll go out on a limb and predict you won't get one. Or if you do it will be completely shite and not address the issue at all. That's the reason I unsubbed this account after the previous Somer debacle: money seems to be the only language CCP talks, unfortunately.

In the interests of truth I will say that I'm keeping one of my accounts active but that's only because I foolishly paid a year in advance in September. Cry

well yeah they kinda can not do that. the utter lack of communication is poisoning the relation to the community. for a community manager thats unacceptable, he's loosing the credibility he has or has had.
also kind hard to imagine this topic was not on their agenda today...

so ccp giev us words!!!1