These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#1201 - 2013-10-07 18:03:06 UTC
IHaveCandyGetInTheVan69 wrote:
How have we gone 60 pages without a response?

Because CCP knows they are in the wrong.
Axhind
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#1202 - 2013-10-07 18:05:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Axhind
Kaivar Lancer wrote:

Kinda obvious after the reactions to Somer give away a week or so ago. Must be why they tried to keep the scorp thing secret. It's kinda like governments. I find out they are doing **** and then instead of stopping the full on ****** action they try to keep it secret in the future.

Sadly for CCP we can refuse to give them money.
Kate stark
#1203 - 2013-10-07 18:06:21 UTC
Axhind wrote:
Kaivar Lancer wrote:

Kinda obvious after the reactions to Somer give away a week or so ago. Must be why they tried to keep the scorp thing secret. It's kinda like governments. I find out they are doing **** and then instead of stopping the full on ****** action they try to keep it secret in the future.

scorpions happened first, however it has only become common knowledge a few days ago.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Solstice Project's Alt
Doomheim
#1204 - 2013-10-07 18:10:47 UTC
Axhind wrote:
People complaining is one thing,
but people unsubbing is a different one.

There's no "i have unsubbed"-thread which keeps growing and growing,
so i'm sure you understand why i'm a bit confused about the seriousness regarding the issue.

Nonetheless ... there seem to be enough people speaking up,
so we might just not yet have reached critical mass.

Buy Solstice Project for PLEX4GOOD ! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=301266 (this alt-character will get deleted once the sale is done, on 6th of december)

Money Makin Mitch
Paid in Full
#1205 - 2013-10-07 18:13:37 UTC
Solstice Project's Alt wrote:
Axhind wrote:
People complaining is one thing,
but people unsubbing is a different one.

There's no "i have unsubbed"-thread which keeps growing and growing,
so i'm sure you understand why i'm a bit confused about the seriousness regarding the issue.

Nonetheless ... there seem to be enough people speaking up,
so we might just not yet have reached critical mass.

there was one yesterday iirc, but they deleted it Roll
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1206 - 2013-10-07 18:14:19 UTC
Jade Constantine wrote:
this current business with the PR department giving player entities ridiculous sums of money is grotesque enough to convince me to find my password and post, because its so intrinsically antithetical to the notion of a genuine player led sandbox without overt CCP interference.)

I just +repped a Jade Constantine post and it didn't hurt a bit.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Kuni Oichi
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1207 - 2013-10-07 18:28:01 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:

I just +repped a Jade Constantine post and it didn't hurt a bit.

It's really weird when people who hate us are agreeing with us, I keep having to reread posts to be sure I didn't say something wrong.
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#1208 - 2013-10-07 18:35:19 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
I always try to understand the other side in an argument, but I just can't see it this time.

If they had given 30 special scorps to Goons, the game could literally have collapsed by now from unsubbing. That's the problem. The fact that it was Somer and not Goons is meaningless.

...and if they had done it in secret. o m g would that have been a pip! Shocked
Chandaris
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#1209 - 2013-10-07 18:38:47 UTC
I have zero issue with this and really see it as NBD. Wasn't the intention from the beginning for this to be a 'give away' ship they would give to people at events or whatever?

I mean, it's a ****** ship tbh. Who cares.

I suppose poor scrubs who want to sell them, lol. but give me a break this whole 'destroying the sandbox' is just BS.

EDIt: Just give out a crap ton so they are worth way less and nobody will care.
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#1210 - 2013-10-07 18:39:36 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:
Has there been an official CCP response on any of this?

There is literally no defense for this sort of favoritism. The fact is that the only way to truly be sure there are no conflicts of interest is to avoid absolutely everything and anything that even smells of one. Engaging in the slightest of questionable activities opens the door to tremendous abuse and EVEN IF NOT ABUSED, creates questions that seed distrustt between the company and its customer base. And that is exactly what we are seeing here.

And nothing can really be said to ever make that customer base feel comfortable with the situation. The fact is that the appearance creates the sentiment, no matter what the truth. This is why you simply NEVER engage in this sort of favoritism. And CCP Pokethulu makes the age old mistake of trying to defend by saying that CCP will be able to make sure it is not abused and remains balanced. These are the sorts of claims made by the foolish and corrupt. No one can be sure this is not abused - therefore it should not occur. Simple as that.

No player run organization should be gifted items of such significant value within the game. Give them plaques, letters, tours of CCP offices, or their name engraved on the walls of Hilmar's private bathroom - but to grant them items of in game value is to give them isk. And herein lies the problem. For CCP to be in the business of handing out isk to players is highly disturbing and threatens the integrity of the game itself. Even when those items are given to be given out via lottery - they will profit the entity in question, therefore providing them with isk! Why is CCP basically handing a ton of isk over to SomerBLINK?

I sat with Hilmar at Fan Fest and had dinner with him. I basically said something along the lines that I felt he got a bit of a rough shake when it came to the whole monocle debacle. I mean, why can't a CEO be glad his company is making money? Despite my support, he took ownership and apologized and made it clear he felt he had made a mistake, and had failed to understand what the players wanted.

Hilmar, if you have any sense of what the players care about you will realize what a tremendous mistake this favoritism toward SomerBLINK is. It reeks of impropriety and corruption and secret deals with Somer. And for your own people to sit there and say they think Somer is 100% trustworthy - first it makes them look like complete fools and shows a complete failure on their part to understand the problem. Does CCP know who every alt of every Somer employee is? Why you might think so, I highly doubt it given that I've seen more than one player receive a permaban on their main while their alts did not. Once again: the ONLY way to insure no impropriety is to not engage in any activity that could come close to it.

So now, on the heels of this we find that Somer 'employees' are being gifted hundreds of billions of isk in special release ships. Once again, this is giving players isk. And for what? Because they are such a great fansite? They have already been rewarded for this. If they've paid out more than a quadrillion in isk, then just think how much they've made in profit! That profit is their reward. CCP is going to hand them rare, in game prizes for being good at getting you to pay them isk? That's ludicrous. Clearly there is some level of bias here, or plain stupidity... one or the other.

And please realize, Somer is just as much to blame. It is the responsibility of a business to turn down gifts that could either result in or give an image of impropriety.

So for the players, the answer is simple: stop patronizing SomerBlink. Respectable business do not accept 'gifts' when those gifts create even a perception of impropriety. Boycott SomerBlink and if they truly value your business they will return any and all gifts and prize ships. Otherwise, kiss them goodbye and stop handing over your hard earned isk so that they can bask in the glory of CCP's adoration. They are being gifted ships from CCP for one reason: YOU GAVE THEM ISK. So, stop giving them your isk. They clearly don't deserve it.

Quoted For Truth
Bolded For Emphasis

Not today spaghetti.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#1211 - 2013-10-07 18:41:56 UTC
Chandaris wrote:
I have zero issue with this and really see it as NBD. Wasn't the intention from the beginning for this to be a 'give away' ship they would give to people at events or whatever?
Not from the beginning, no. That was a later change.
And yes, it was mean to be a give-away at events and the like — not a half-trillion donation on the sly to dev favourites for no adequate reason.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1212 - 2013-10-07 19:00:30 UTC
Tippia wrote:
So here's a few questions for those dismissing this issue…

What do you imagine the community reaction had been if, say, the Goons or Minerbumping had been the recipients?

Needlessly emotional, just like this reaction. I personly don't care who CCP gives stuff they own to. It;s their private property.

Quote:

After all, what they're doing is rewarding community services and/or people sponsoring player events. Those two entities have created huge amounts of content through the events they sponsor.

What do you imagine the reaction from Somer had been if they had been offered 30 ibises? After all, these ships hold no intrinsic value and only refine to 1 ISK, the same as an IshuScorp.

What do you imagine the community reaction would have been if, say, the CSM was hand-picked by CCP and not publicly revealed? After all, that too is just a way to interact with the community but is somehow deemed necessary to surround with months of build-up and voting?

How appropriate do you feel it would be if the developers started to promote Cheetos® as a great way to pick up GTCs? You'd get one with the return of every 10 bar code cut-outs and you don't even need to eat them. Also, does this make fritolay.com a community site? After all, many EVE players probably use their products regularly.

All the above would be fine. OR if I did find a problem with it, I'd make exactly one post about it, wait to see if it changed, and then leave. Because I don't own ccp or EVE online (and the thousands upon thousand of actual hours I've spent playing it and loving it and worshiping the Holy Mach, blessed be it's name, doesn't change that).

The problem is that some of you do feel like you own it. CCP lets you feel that way, Even created a group it lets you vote for to cement that feeling of ownership. But it's just a feeling, a false one at that. At the end of the day, CCP can do as it pleases with it's private property, as can all of you (with your money, or without your time that you use to make plex).

And the whole community isn't reacting negatively (which IMO is what burns the over-reactors, turning you loit into Over-Reactor IIs with extra powergrid bonus). There are many of us who really don't give 2 flips about CCP handing out some inferior ships. I'm sorry, but something a private company does just doesn't rise to the level of genuine concern for me. I find your concern silly.

Tron 3K
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1213 - 2013-10-07 19:02:12 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Tippia wrote:

What do you imagine the community reaction had been if, say, the Goons or Minerbumping had been the recipients?

Needlessly emotional, just like this reaction. I personly don't care who CCP gives stuff they own to. It;s their private property.

Quote:

After all, what they're doing is rewarding community services and/or people sponsoring player events. Those two entities have created huge amounts of content through the events they sponsor.

What do you imagine the reaction from Somer had been if they had been offered 30 ibises? After all, these ships hold no intrinsic value and only refine to 1 ISK, the same as an IshuScorp.

What do you imagine the community reaction would have been if, say, the CSM was hand-picked by CCP and not publicly revealed? After all, that too is just a way to interact with the community but is somehow deemed necessary to surround with months of build-up and voting?

How appropriate do you feel it would be if the developers started to promote Cheetos® as a great way to pick up GTCs? You'd get one with the return of every 10 bar code cut-outs and you don't even need to eat them. Also, does this make fritolay.com a community site? After all, many EVE players probably use their products regularly.

All the above would be fine. OR if I did find a problem with it, I'd make exactly one post about it, wait to see if it changed, and then leave. Because I don't own ccp or EVE online (and the thousands upon thousand of actual hours I've spent playing it and loving it and worshiping the Holy Mach, blessed be it's name, doesn't change that).

The problem is that some of you do feel like you own it. CCP lets you feel that way, Even created a group it lets you vote for to cement that feeling of ownership. But it's just a feeling, a false one at that. At the end of the day, CCP can do as it pleases with it's private property, as can all of you (with your money, or without your time that you use to make plex).

And the whole community isn't reacting negatively (which IMO is what burns the over-reactors, turning you loit into Over-Reactor IIs with extra powergrid bonus). There are many of us who really don't give 2 flips about CCP handing out some inferior ships. I'm sorry, but something a private company does just doesn't rise to the level of genuine concern for me. I find your concern silly.

For one that doesn't "care" you sure post a lot on this stuff..
Solstice Project's Alt
Doomheim
#1214 - 2013-10-07 19:05:22 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Quoted For Truth
Bolded For Emphasis
This is absolutely ridiculous.
Boycotting SOMER for what ? For taking what they are given ?
Bullshit.

Why would i not take a million bucks, if somebody offered me a million bucks ?

Blame the one who gives the million, not the one taking it.

Buy Solstice Project for PLEX4GOOD ! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=301266 (this alt-character will get deleted once the sale is done, on 6th of december)

Ghost Phius
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#1215 - 2013-10-07 19:05:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Ghost Phius
The people in charge of stuff like this at CCP have no integrity and have shown that more than once.

We need to just recognize what we are dealing with when dealing with CCP. These are the same guys that produced the greed is good memo as part as a comprehensive review of their business practices moving forward.

Looks like they have decided to move forward and leave any shred of integrity behind.

Good Call CCP. ShockedRollUgh
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1216 - 2013-10-07 19:07:27 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
I'm wondering about something.

Do people believe their voice will be heard if they don't start unsubbing?

"It's what they do, not what they say." ... or something.

Not necassary at all. CCP is gonna fold like they did with the Gold Magnates and such, because at the end of the day they are a company and it doesn't matter if their customers are wrong or too quick to complain. That's capitalism for you. Personally I just hate to see people get riled up over non-issues. After years of getting genuinely angry at stuff like this, I grew out of it, because it's silly.
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#1217 - 2013-10-07 19:08:48 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Nullbears that spend all day running anoms in 'the Holy Mach, blessed be it's name' don't have much stake in the game at large so I can see how you would be ignorant of the repercussions of something like this.

Which is cool.

The only annoying part is when they start spewing their ignorance into other people's discussions.

Not today spaghetti.

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#1218 - 2013-10-07 19:09:48 UTC
Quote:
There are many of us who really don't give 2 flips about CCP handing out some inferior ships.

yup P

this **** happens in every game you just gotta deal with it. free hats!
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1219 - 2013-10-07 19:12:40 UTC
Tron 3K wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Quote:

For one that doesn't "care" you sure post a lot on this stuff..

Yep, because players I actually and honestly respect for their ability to be rational are reacting in a way I think is overly emotional. I can't stop that (nor would I, it's their right to complain), but again, this is a discussion board, im going to discuss it with them (and show my support for CCP to do what the hell it pleases with it's property).
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#1220 - 2013-10-07 19:13:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Jenn aSide wrote:
There are many of us who really don't give 2 flips about CCP handing out some inferior ships.
…and guess what? That's not the concern here.

Quote:
The problem is that some of you do feel like you own it.
…and this is not even remotely the concern either. So I have no idea where you get your silly ideas from.

Quote:
After years of getting genuinely angry at stuff like this, I grew out of it, because it's silly.
No. What's silly is dismissing and demeaning people's opinions because you don't share them. So if anything, you're sillier and more childish now than you ever were before you “grew out of” (read: reverted back to) that state.

Quote:
I can't stop that (nor would I, it's their right to complain), but again, this is a discussion board, im going to discuss it with them (and show my support for CCP to do what the hell it pleases with it's property).
Soooo… T20? Good idea, or best idea?