These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1081 - 2013-10-07 08:35:41 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
basically, it's like this, people didn't realize the real meta is the making money for ccp competition

now you know

the real meta is that ccp wants to make money off their product called eve online?... that's deep... real deep

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1082 - 2013-10-07 08:47:15 UTC
CCP is already making money quite handsomely.
There shouldn't be a need to compromise the spirit of the game to make more, because in the long term that leads to rather bad things.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1083 - 2013-10-07 08:55:25 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
the spirit of the game

CCP give away hundreds of billions of ISK worth of unique ships every year.

They also give away special edition ships for commercial reasons every year.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1084 - 2013-10-07 08:56:47 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
the spirit of the game

We've been over this before.
You should perhaps read more carefully about why some of these are acceptable and why some of these aren't.

Kate stark
#1085 - 2013-10-07 09:02:31 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
the spirit of the game

ships ain't even the issue.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Anna Djan
Banana Corp
#1086 - 2013-10-07 09:51:41 UTC
This reminds me of the BoB scandle back in the day.

SOMER don't need free ****, they earn so much already. Especially since I know first hand that they ban players from using their site when they get ganked :)
Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1087 - 2013-10-07 09:59:41 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
the spirit of the game

And yet another CSM member confirming that we have nothing to await from them.
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1088 - 2013-10-07 10:05:16 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
While I can see how how people might make a t20 comparison we have to understand the difference. In one circumstance we had a tech ii lottery where a dev cheated and gave bob a potential unlimited isk faucet (secondary not primary)

The second was a ship sitting in the database that ccp decided to use as a promotional item that has a diminishing value as more are given out. People have already said they are fine scl people got one. The only misstep on ccp behalf was not not letting the comunity know the intended purpose for the ship.

Honestly with the fact the ship was originally designed for the nex store im happy they are using it in the first place.

To use a cliché you guys are making mountains out of mole hills

This sounds pretty good.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Kirren D'marr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1089 - 2013-10-07 10:09:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Kirren D'marr
Prince Kobol wrote:
I have no issue with if CCP have a relationship with Somer.

Both are businesses. Many Businesses have relationships that are beneficial to each other.

I would have no issues if CCP gave any business non in game promotional items in order to make themselves more money by iether encouraging more people to sub or to purchase GTC's.

If CCP gave Somer say Eve Store Vouchers, great, brilliant.. no problems what so ever. Give them limited Edition Tops for example.

If CCP gave Business X something similar, again , I have no problems.

The issues in this case is that CCP gave players free items that can have an effect in game in total secrecy.

The issue I have with a business relationship between SOMER and CCP is that if they are going to be/behave like business partners, then they should be held acountable as such.

This means that SOMER members need to be held to the same standards as CCP employees with regards to their interaction with the game as players. If they are unwilling to do this, then it compromises the integrity of the game.

On a different but related subject, I understand that there are individuals who were formerly associated with SOMER Blink who are now employed by CCP. There are rumors that CCP Navigator is one of them. Before the tinfoil gets layed on too thick, can anyone provide any facts/evidence to either confirm or disprove this? I think this would be an important piece of information to have, as either way it could significantly impact the discussion, but it most definitely needs verification before being taken into consideration.

Why a switch on/off? Because the new animation doesn't add anything to gameplay and it's graphically annoying. In other words, it's worse than bad: it's useless. Simple as that.     _ - Kina Ayami_

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1090 - 2013-10-07 10:13:46 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
The value of a T2 BPO is not "unlimited". Neutron Blaster Cannon IIs can be used to give me unlimited isk. That doesn't mean they have infinite or exorbitant values.

If a T2 BPO is regularly bought and sold at 10 billion ISK, then it has a value of 10 billion ISK. Saying that since T2 BPOs can be used to manufacture T2 items indefinitely they have value beyond their market price is absurd. You know what else can be used to manufacture T2 items indefinitely? T1 BPOs. It's just a few added steps with some consumables and a game of chance, but there's not much difference otherwise. Obviously back then this wasn't the case, but it's not as if BoB were the ONLY ones that had these BPOs.

Kuni Oichi
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1091 - 2013-10-07 10:18:21 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
the spirit of the game

Giveaways from CCP directly to winners of contests versus enriching a corporation to hundreds of billions so they can give the prizes away, gaining brand awareness, increased traffic and revenue.

Giving awards to people who perform a valuable service for the community versus enriching people who 'work' for a corporation and earn billions for doing so.

There are two options here if you don't understand the difference between these points, you're either utterly incapable of comprehending the difference between charity and enrichment, or you're just shilling for CCP.

Which is it?
Rheinkraft
D-sync
D-sync.
#1092 - 2013-10-07 10:19:12 UTC
This highlights the problem with the game right now.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1093 - 2013-10-07 10:25:56 UTC
Rheinkraft wrote:
This highlights the problem with the game right now.

You've thrown your support behind everything and nothing at the same time.

Prince Kobol
#1094 - 2013-10-07 10:30:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Prince Kobol
Kirren D'marr wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
I have no issue with if CCP have a relationship with Somer.

Both are businesses. Many Businesses have relationships that are beneficial to each other.

I would have no issues if CCP gave any business non in game promotional items in order to make themselves more money by iether encouraging more people to sub or to purchase GTC's.

If CCP gave Somer say Eve Store Vouchers, great, brilliant.. no problems what so ever. Give them limited Edition Tops for example.

If CCP gave Business X something similar, again , I have no problems.

The issues in this case is that CCP gave players free items that can have an effect in game in total secrecy.

The issue I have with a business relationship between SOMER and CCP is that if they are going to be/behave like business partners, then they should be held acountable as such.

This means that SOMER members need to be held to the same standards as CCP employees with regards to their interaction with the game as players. If they are unwilling to do this, then it compromises the integrity of the game.

If you believe this then I am afraid to say your are being very naive.

By the same token you could say if CCP have a business partnership with Nvidia then you expect Nvidia employees to be held to the same standards as CCP employees?

Also in the way you have worded your post are saying that Somer employees have done something wrong, acted inappropriately in some way?

By saying that Somer employees should be held accountable makes it out that they have done something wrong or acted inappropriately.

As far as I am aware no member of Somer has acted inappropriately or done anything wrong.

Yes there have been accusations that they are involved in RMT, but then this is the Eve Forums where every major Null Sec alliance has been accused of RMT numerous times over of the years and will mostly continued to be accused of it.

If somebody can show some proof that Somerblink the business or a employee of Somer has acted inappropriately then fair enough, until then it is very unfair it make out that they have done something wrong.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1095 - 2013-10-07 10:38:25 UTC
Well the question of whether SOMER is involved in RMT or not has more to do with what is considered RMT and what isn't, rather than any debate on the veracity of the evidence presented.

I petitioned the matter and was told that they've already looked into it and concluded that SOMER is not doing RMT.

That's not terribly relevant to this discussion, however.

Prince Kobol
#1096 - 2013-10-07 10:49:58 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Well the question of whether SOMER is involved in RMT or not has more to do with what is considered RMT and what isn't, rather than any debate on the veracity of the evidence presented.

I petitioned the matter and was told that they've already looked into it and concluded that SOMER is not doing RMT.

That's not terribly relevant to this discussion, however.

Well it depends as many people seem to have taken the view that Somer is in the wrong or have acted inappropriately.

As far as I can tell they actually haven't done anything wrong.

You could question whether it was morally right of them to accept the gifts which CCP offered but then again I believe most people would accept gifts from CCP.

I still believe CCP are wrong, not in regards to giving the gifts, but in the type of gifts they gave and the manner in which they gave them.
Catherine Au
Iris Industry and Innovations
#1097 - 2013-10-07 10:51:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Catherine Au
I know! Let's PROMOTE our relationship by us giving you some valuable and shiny ships. But SHUSH! Don't tell anyone!

Still no response from CCP? Come on....
Kate stark
#1098 - 2013-10-07 10:52:56 UTC
to be honest, somer blink are actually pretty irrelevant in this story.

replace somer blink with basically any other person/group/whatever and we've still got the same problem.
same can be said if you replace scorpions with plex, or monocles, etc.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Stoogie
Cadre Assault Force
#1099 - 2013-10-07 10:53:40 UTC
If you believe this is jealousy (and this really does explain the csm's reaction if they share this thought) Then at least in my case your wrong. This should not be happening to anyone giving out anything more than a plex or a free account is seriously game changing unless they've done something to earn it in game like win a tourny. I'm really sorry you feel this way and I think your missing the point.

This isn't about somer either but I'll use them as an example. If they now take the profits from selling these ships and from the lotteries from the other give aways they can potentially use hundreds of billions of isk (if not a trillion) to fund an alliance or a coalition and break the balance of eve online. While this is content creation and would be good for the game in the long run it is unfair that ccp has anything to do with this.

I'm not a member of one of the big coalitions I'm just a scrub in a lowsec corp atm. This won't effect me in a really big way but its not fair or part of the sandbox that ccp should be affecting it like this. People need to work hard in game for in game benefits. If they want to support these sites then give them out of game loot, Support for running their servers or a special non sellable item which can't be transferred or a in game medal which means they have some bragging power not some game changing items.

Do ccp have a PR guy because any decent one would tear his or her hair out at a company not looking at us and wondering maybe they might get annoyed.
Prince Kobol
#1100 - 2013-10-07 10:58:23 UTC
Kate stark wrote:
to be honest, somer blink are actually pretty irrelevant in this story.

replace somer blink with basically any other person/group/whatever and we've still got the same problem.
same can be said if you replace scorpions with plex, or monocles, etc.

You have said this, I have said this and many others have as well, yet people still seem to be hung up with the fact that it was Somer.