These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#1041 - 2013-10-07 03:46:48 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

...altering the balance of power in the game (even in a small way), there is something seriously wrong with Eve.
30 somewhat-inferior Scorpion variants that CCP never promised as capped in numbers has altered the balance of the game?

Pfftt. Pull the other one - it's got bells on.

Well what we know so far, trillions in unique ships + profits from running a lottery based on winning those ships to Somer + around 800 billion in monocles to PL + an unspecified number of monocles and 300 billion in Ish Scorps to Somer.

When you consider the vast streams of ISK that flow through SOMER all the time, this is a drop in the bucket. Frankly, you want gifts like this to not happen? Don't buy PLEX. Don't patronize SOMER. Then they'll stop. Otherwise, it's just business as usual.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1042 - 2013-10-07 03:47:13 UTC
"500B is pocket change to the largest alliance in the game, so clearly CCP can just give it to anyone and it won't matter."

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#1043 - 2013-10-07 03:49:23 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
"500B is pocket change to the largest alliance in the game, so clearly CCP can just give it to anyone and it won't matter."

Actually, yes.

They rewarded some pets. So what?

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#1044 - 2013-10-07 03:51:35 UTC
500B is a month or two of SRP for a major alliance in a bloc war.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#1045 - 2013-10-07 03:58:22 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
500B is a month or two of SRP for a major alliance in a bloc war.

Too bad gevlon goblin couldn't supply that much, it would have led to the collapse of themiitanispets

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1046 - 2013-10-07 04:08:05 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

...altering the balance of power in the game (even in a small way), there is something seriously wrong with Eve.
30 somewhat-inferior Scorpion variants that CCP never promised as capped in numbers has altered the balance of the game?

You preach it Silens.

I'm further convinced that it dones't take much to rile up the EVE community. So what CCP gave some stuff to someone, the stuff isn't real. It has no values and even if it did, it belongs to CCP.

Right at this moment im typign this and killing some NPCs in pursuit of my next few plexes for my accounts, while also trying to dig up some kind of internal feeling of butt hurt at an icelandic video game company making me rat instead of giving me free imaginary space ships with bazzilions of space money. So far, nothing, but I know the but hurt must be in there somewhere!
Galen Darksmith
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#1047 - 2013-10-07 04:08:12 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Actually, yes.

They rewarded some pets. So what?

This is literally the same tired old excuse that BoB apologists trotted out back in the day. "Guys, it was only some Sabre and T2 ammo BPOs, it wasn't all that much compared to BoB's overall income in Delve."

No one gives a **** if you were only cheating a little bit, or only showing a little bit of favoritism. It's going to cause a shitstorm, and the fact that CCP didn't announce the gift to show off their community encouragement or whatever bullshit they're calling it suggests they had an inkling it would cause a shitstorm.

The CSM was made to contain this sort of nonsense, it's really disheartening to see CSM members shrugging their shoulders or worse, actively supporting CCP in this.

"EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in, you're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for." -CCP Wrangler

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1048 - 2013-10-07 04:39:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
Jenn aSide wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You preach it Silens.

I'm further convinced that it dones't take much to rile up the EVE community. So what CCP gave some stuff to someone, the stuff isn't real. It has no values and even if it did, it belongs to CCP.

Right at this moment im typign this and killing some NPCs in pursuit of my next few plexes for my accounts, while also trying to dig up some kind of internal feeling of butt hurt at an icelandic video game company making me rat instead of giving me free imaginary space ships with bazzilions of space money. So far, nothing, but I know the but hurt must be in there somewhere!

Incorrect. Something of value doesn't have to be monetary value. Something of value could be value based on time, which of course is what isk is. We invest substantial amounts of time to create isk in a competitive game. We pay CCP real money which the majority of us invest significant amounts of time to acquire. There is an option to pay real money, against time invested to acquire for plex with the intent of converting that into isk. To say that isk has no value is ignorant in regards to what value means.

Would also point out that there is a contract between every subscriber and CCP in regards to what CCP offers to the subscribers. CCP has up to recently offered a sandbox game, they gave a guaranteed that they would not repeat the T20 incident. What they offer and what they supply legally has to be the same thing. Even in Iceland.

What can we do with that, well we can walk as I'm sure a few have and a few more will so they don't have a blank check in the sense the tax department or some other dictatorial company / organization. They must satisfy the customers and give them what they want or they won't have customers.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#1049 - 2013-10-07 04:49:04 UTC  |  Edited by: MeBiatch
While I can see how how people might make a t20 comparison we have to understand the difference. In one circumstance we had a tech ii lottery where a dev cheated and gave bob a potential unlimited isk faucet (secondary not primary)

The second was a ship sitting in the database that ccp decided to use as a promotional item that has a diminishing value as more are given out. People have already said they are fine scl people got one. The only misstep on ccp behalf was not not letting the comunity know the intended purpose for the ship.

Honestly with the fact the ship was originally designed for the nex store im happy they are using it in the first place.

To use a cliché you guys are making mountains out of mole hills

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1050 - 2013-10-07 04:55:09 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You preach it Silens.

Incorrect. Something of value doesn't have to be monetary value. Something of value could be value based on time, which of course is what isk is. We invest substantial amounts of time to create isk in a competitive game. We pay CCP real money which the majority of us invest significant amounts of time to acquire. There is an option to pay real money, against time invested to acquire for plex with the intent of converting that into isk. To say that isk has no value is ignorant in regards to what value means.

Even if it have some imaginary value to someone, at the end of the day, it all still belongs to CCP. Who they give things to is none of my business, nor is it yours.

I get that MMOs try to create a sense of "ownership" to tie people to the game, and as I see by all the butthurt here, CCP has done particularily well in this regard. But Jesus H. Christ on a Crusty Crutch , the reaction of some of you people is as if CCP invaded France and conficated all the Croissants or something. If CCP closes tommorow, EVERYTRHING in EVE ceases to exist and I use that word loosely, because despite all the time we put into making stuff and gaining stuff in this game, NONE of it is real. Not even the Thukker Tribe Machariel CCP gave me last week is real...oh crap, wasn't supposed to meantion that, please don't shoot up a monument!

I won't tell people how to feel, but I will comment on the utter stupidity of those feelings. The jealousy directed at Somer Blink and some video game account holders believing that CCP "secretly" giving away some scorpian shaped pixels is some big scandle is my idea of "person in need of going outside".
Galen Darksmith
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#1051 - 2013-10-07 05:07:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Galen Darksmith
Jenn aSide wrote:

Even if it have some imaginary value to someone, at the end of the day, it all still belongs to CCP. Who they give things to is none of my business, nor is it yours.

By the same token, the whole T20 deal was "none of our business" either. After all, it was purely an internal matter, and the only thing that T20 did that was wrong was give out free **** without company permission, right?

Wrong.

CCP worries about favoritism. They worry about the appearance of favoritism. The entire CSM was created to assure players that players were overseeing CCP on some level and seeing that there was no more favoritism. ****, they literally just pulled developers out of a few player-run RP channels because favoritism. And then they start giving free **** away on the sly?

I mean, if these ships were supposed to be low-worth collectibles for special players, shouldn't CCP announce exactly how many get seeded every time and to whom? It would gives props where CCP feels props are due and lets people actually know how much their **** is worth.

Edit:

Take a gander:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3701846#post3701846

Chribba is ANGRY. I have never, ever, in 7 years of EVE, seen Chribba actually angry. And you know what? I don't blame him.

"EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in, you're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for." -CCP Wrangler

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1052 - 2013-10-07 05:14:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
Jenn aSide wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You preach it Silens.

I get that MMOs try to create a sense of "ownership" to tie people to the game, and as I see by all the butthurt here, CCP has done particularily well in this regard. But Jesus H. Christ on a Crusty Crutch , the reaction of some of you people is as if CCP invaded France and conficated all the Croissants or something. If CCP closes tommorow, EVERYTRHING in EVE ceases to exist and I use that word loosely, because despite all the time we put into making stuff and gaining stuff in this game, NONE of it is real. Not even the Thukker Tribe Machariel CCP gave me last week is real...oh crap, wasn't supposed to meantion that, please don't shoot up a monument!

I won't tell people how to feel, but I will comment on the utter stupidity of those feelings. The jealousy directed at Somer Blink and some video game account holders believing that CCP "secretly" giving away some scorpian shaped pixels is some big scandle is my idea of "person in need of going outside".

I disagree. You could say the same about football or sport as well. At the end of a sports competition nothing of value exists however the results have real value to people. When people get boosts in the form of game fixing or PEDs there is a big uproar by the fans, justifiably. They pay money and invest time and that time is wasted. Exactly the same with this game.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1053 - 2013-10-07 05:15:28 UTC
I posted a reply to Jester's Trek's latest comment on the issue. I've decided to repost it here. Probably because I'm vain.

"I don't think you're mixed up in any crazy conspiracies. But you're going to have to get used to the new reality. Tinfoil hatting 24/7.

Seriously. Who couldn't see what was coming? Introduce a new meta combat arena and the playerbase is in it to win it. For all the talk, this boils down to strategy at the meta level. ISK is a resource and the new farm is the fansite. Meta carebearing. EVE at its finest. "
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#1054 - 2013-10-07 05:22:40 UTC
I think one of the things that people are forgetting is WHY in business people are expected to avoid these sorts of conflicts of interest. And let's be clear, when CCP rewards an IN GAME corporation for doing their job well, it is a conflict of interest. Somer is an in game entity and CC has decided to get into bed with them.

But the reason this should be avoided is not merely because we all think its bad. What if in two or three months there are reports that employees of Somer are involved in RMT'ing, even if they are not involved in RMT'ing NOW.

If that happens, how do we trust CCP to investigate that fully? We won't. You may say we should, but the fact is - we won't, and we'd have good reason.

This is why, in business, law, medicine, etc.. you avoid all appearances of conflicts of interest.

CCP screwed up on this one, there is no defending it. It doesn't mean we can't move on and be okay with it, but CCP absolutely MUST cease such a close relationship with an in-game corporation.

Additionally they should look at the impact of giving an in game item to anyone as recognition on the economy. And they should certainly STOP giving these things away secretly - not sure what sort of 'recognition' reward is supposed to be given away secretly, but the fact that CCP has done it that way shows you they knew something was up.

Let the CSM decide who should get these rewards - players rewarded by players - and remain impartial, if you even can anymore.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1055 - 2013-10-07 05:23:20 UTC
Galen Darksmith wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

By the same token, the whole T20 deal was "none of our business" either. After all, it was purely an internal matter, and the only thing that T20 did that was wrong was give out free **** without company permission, right?

Wrong.

CCP worries about favoritism. They worry about the appearance of favoritism. The entire CSM was created to assure players that players were overseeing CCP on some level and seeing that there was no more favoritism. ****, they literally just pulled developers out of a few player-run RP channels because favoritism. And then they start giving free **** away on the sly?

I mean, if these ships were supposed to be low-worth collectibles for special players, shouldn't CCP announce exactly how many get seeded every time and to whom? It would gives props where CCP feels props are due and lets people actually know how much their **** is worth.

Edit:

Take a gander:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3701846#post3701846

Chribba is ANGRY. I have never, ever, in 7 years of EVE, seen Chribba actually angry. And you know what? I don't blame him.

CCP created the CSM to be able to say "hey, we are listening" because CCP knows that a lot of their customers are over-sensative types who need such assurances.

It doesn't matter why ccp worries about appearances, what matters is wheter or not we (as supposedly grown men) can tell the difference between rela life and a video game.
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#1056 - 2013-10-07 05:25:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Cameron Freerunner wrote:
I posted a reply to Jester's Trek's latest comment on the issue. I've decided to repost it here. Probably because I'm vain.

"I don't think you're mixed up in any crazy conspiracies. But you're going to have to get used to the new reality. Tinfoil hatting 24/7.

Seriously. Who couldn't see what was coming? Introduce a new meta combat arena and the playerbase is in it to win it. For all the talk, this boils down to strategy at the meta level. ISK is a resource and the new farm is the fansite. Meta carebearing. EVE at its finest. "

[Post deleted due to inaccuracy. Someone gave me bad intel. Apologies.]
Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1057 - 2013-10-07 05:30:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Cameron Freerunner
Argus Sorn wrote:

Honestly a CSM member should have turned down a gift from CCP. Sorry but its a clear conflict of interest, and once again the secret nature of the gift is even more disturbing. It is unethical and I hope he's voted off the CSM next go around.

What gift are you referring to? And do you bother to read?

edit: I see you're DNS. Ask Trebhor about his free CSM account.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1058 - 2013-10-07 05:37:20 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:

I disagree. You could say the same about football or sport as well. At the end of a sports competition nothing of value exists however the results have real value to people. When people get boosts in the form of game fixing or PEDs there is a big uproar by the fans, justifiably. They pay money and invest time and that time is wasted. Exactly the same with this game.

So, other people are over sensative to things that don't relaly matter, so I'm justified in carring about getting imaginarily screwed over by icelandic businessmen!

Nonsense.

I live in Dallas, Texas. Today, the Dallas Cowboys lost (narrowly) to the Denver Broncos . I had a good 15 (maybe even 16) seconds of "this sucks" before returing to the reality of "ok, so one group of millionaiers lost a game to another group of millionaires. lol. It was only 15 seconds because I'm a well adjusted adult human being.

Other people were on the streets MAD at the world because "they" lost(as if it were them who were on theplaying field throwing interceptions, WTB new Cowboys quaterback btw). I wanted to tell a few of the worst ones who were cussing andlooking for thing to throw that, if the worst thing that happens to you today is that your sports team loses, you're having a good day.

"They" didn't lose anything (unless they were dumb enough to bet on the cowboys lol). Of course th NFL wants people to feel a certain way, they make money off it like CCP does. But that means nothing, it's just a game, a voluntary activity that has no meaning to anyone save the made up meaning of "wins" and "loses". When countries start using "Sport" (ol, sport, you must be a brit, it's SPORTS damn it) to settle territorial disputes and player litteralyl die on the field, i'll personally assing each game it's proper amoun of import.

If you don't like what CCP is doing so much that you spend precious time of your life posting about in in anger, unsub. Quietly.

On a side note, that would be one hell of an epitath on your tombstone one day: "Here lies Rob aka Infinity Ziona, he never did much in life but by God he let CCP know how unfair things were in a video game" Twisted

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1059 - 2013-10-07 05:39:48 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
It's not "overly sensitive types".

It's the fact that we're playing a sandbox game which depends on CCP having a laissez-faire approach to the way that players provide content to the game.

If CCP rewards certain organizations for the content they provide and not others, it drastically alters the motivations for providing content and as a result people will provide different kinds of content. Then content providers are no longer community-oriented, they're appeasement-oriented. And that's severely damaging to the kind of game that EVE is.

EVE is a hobby to us. It's as real as any other hobby. Just because it's pixels generated by a client that receives data from a computer program running on a server in London, doesn't mean that we're not engaging in an environment where actions have consequences and meaning.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#1060 - 2013-10-07 05:40:18 UTC

What gift are you referring to? And do you bother to read?

Got some wonky intel. My apologies. Post edited.