These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#1001 - 2013-10-06 23:00:23 UTC
I nominate James 315 to be given a tech 2 BPO in a secret giveaway. Perhaps ten Light Neutron Blaster II BPOs would be suitable for him.

He can keep a secret, and runs an EVE blog that has got four thousand views per day for the last year, and has been instrumental in getting a number of players to make second accounts and to get their RL friends playing the game.

Next, give TEST alliance a few BPOs, they look like they could use the help at the moment.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Novah Soul
#1002 - 2013-10-06 23:00:34 UTC
Well... I'll be letting my account lapse for the foreseeable future, as will my wife I believe. Maybe (if) I return ccp will remove their heads from their backsides...

A man is known by the quality of his friends. - Lex Luthor

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#1003 - 2013-10-06 23:07:29 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
I nominate James 315 to be given a tech 2 BPO in a secret giveaway. Perhaps ten Light Neutron Blaster II BPOs would be suitable for him.

He can keep a secret, and runs an EVE blog that has got four thousand views per day for the last year, and has been instrumental in getting a number of players to make second accounts and to get their RL friends playing the game.

Such a giveaway should be an open celebration for all of highsec to rejoice. I would suggest a special edition NO catalyst BPO as well.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Naradius
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1004 - 2013-10-06 23:10:41 UTC

OK, I'm going to spell this out for the retards....

1. CCP gave Somer Ish Scorps on the sly (for whatever reason).
2.Somer says to employees - keep it quiet. When you sell them, do it as to not raise suspicion.

Why doesn't Somer want to raise suspicion?
Is it because they knew that they are worth a lot less now than their current market price, because there are actually 40% more available than the rest of the community were led to believe.

Why were they allowed to sell these items into a market that had no idea of their true worth at the time? I can answer that one - because CCP sanctioned it. CCP and Somer knew there were 40% more Ish Scorps seeded...nobody else did.

Somer said herself this was a unique thing CCP was doing for them Shocked

It doesn't matter if it was an Ish Scorp...it's the principle.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1005 - 2013-10-06 23:12:06 UTC
Upon reflection, something occurred to me. Somer got rewarded TWICE. Once with the scorps, once with the drawing. That's a whole lot of rewardin' goin' on.

Between free accounts for fansites and giant piles of ISK, CCP has expertly managed to undermine EVE-related journalism (if it can be called that). Bloggers and site operators now have an incentive to engage in self-censorship and cheerleading. After all, who wants to cheat themselves out of assloads of ISK? It's all the more concerning because a significant portion of the CSM have sites or are closely affiliated with one. I'm not making a straight up accusation, but this is precisely why professional news organizations have such strict ethics guidelines. It's the reason that Amazon, Yelp, and other internet sites fight so hard against fake reviews and the like. Giving and receiving gifts or money fundamentally undermines confidence in the product and the sites themselves.

If the basic argument that many of the CSM are making is "CCP can do whatever they want, it's their game," my question is where is the line? If there is none, then we start getting into old school tinfoil hattery, but this time, it will have an actual basis in fact. And once the theorizing begins, it will never end. Will they begin justifying other actions on the basis of player retention or new player recruitment? How will we be able to tell? If anyone thinks CCP's eventual list of rules for this stuff will clear it all up, you obviously haven't been playing EVE for long.

There really isn't any point in continuing this thread. The die is cast *cough*. Your only real decision is whether to log on or log off. If you choose to log on, you can STFU already, because you're simply validating their decisions.
Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#1006 - 2013-10-06 23:13:51 UTC
Erotica 1 wrote:

Such a giveaway should be an open celebration for all of highsec to rejoice. I would suggest a special edition NO catalyst BPO as well.

Asteroid camouflage I guess?

Or a complete new model, an asteroid with guns. You laser dem roids? Dem roids shoot back!
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1007 - 2013-10-06 23:22:15 UTC
Cameron Freerunner wrote:
Upon reflection, something occurred to me. Somer got rewarded TWICE. Once with the scorps, once with the drawing. That's a whole lot of rewardin' goin' on.

Between free accounts for fansites and giant piles of ISK, CCP has expertly managed to undermine EVE-related journalism (if it can be called that). Bloggers and site operators now have an incentive to engage in self-censorship and cheerleading. After all, who wants to cheat themselves out of assloads of ISK? It's all the more concerning because a significant portion of the CSM have sites or are closely affiliated with one. I'm not making a straight up accusation, but this is precisely why professional news organizations have such strict ethics guidelines. It's the reason that Amazon, Yelp, and other internet sites fight so hard against fake reviews and the like. Giving and receiving gifts or money fundamentally undermines confidence in the product and the sites themselves.

If the basic argument that many of the CSM are making is "CCP can do whatever they want, it's their game," my question is where is the line? If there is none, then we start getting into old school tinfoil hattery, but this time, it will have an actual basis in fact. And once the theorizing begins, it will never end. Will they begin justifying other actions on the basis of player retention or new player recruitment? How will we be able to tell? If anyone thinks CCP's eventual list of rules for this stuff will clear it all up, you obviously haven't been playing EVE for long.

There really isn't any point in continuing this thread. The die is cast *cough*. Your only real decision is whether to log on or log off. If you choose to log on, you can STFU already, because you're simply validating their decisions.

At the end of the day you're all making a fuss over a game. A very complex and deep game that some people have serious commitments to, but a game non the less.

Real world rules need not apply here. Real world ethics certainly don't.

If people were this passionate about stuff that actually mattered the US government wouldn't be spying on the whole world. Could this be a couple of unimportant persons seeing this as their chance to 'stick it to the man' because they can't stick it to the actual man? If so, you're terribly failing. Everyone is complaining and bitching and screaming how they are going to stop playing. But at the end of the day everyone will log on. Everyone will play and no-one will have the spine to stand up for what they believe in. Just like in real life.

Spend your time useful for crying out loud. It's internet spaceships. Someone has more virtual stuff than you. Boo-*******-hoo.

How did I let myself get sucked into this drama... I'm out! Roll

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

RAW23
#1008 - 2013-10-06 23:32:02 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:

At the end of the day you're all making a fuss over a game. A very complex and deep game that some people have serious commitments to, but a game non the less.

If people were this passionate about stuff that actually mattered the US government wouldn't be spying on the whole world. Could this be a couple of unimportant persons seeing this as their chance to 'stick it to the man' because they can't stick it to the actual man? If so, you're terribly failing. Everyone is complaining and bitching and screaming how they are going to stop playing. But at the end of the day everyone will log on. Everyone will play and no-one will have the spine to stand up for what they believe in. Just like in real life.

Spend your time useful for crying out loud. It's internet spaceships. Someone has more virtual stuff than you. Boo-*******-hoo.

Stupid people caring about the hobbies they spend time and money on!

There are two types of EVE player:

those who believe there are two types of EVE player and those who do not.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#1009 - 2013-10-06 23:36:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
TigerXtrm wrote:
Someone has more virtual stuff than you. Boo-*******-hoo.
…which, of course, still isn't the issue no matter how much you want to make it so.

Quote:
Real-world rules and ethics don't apply to the real world? That's… interesting. Ugh
Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#1010 - 2013-10-06 23:37:30 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Could this be a couple of unimportant persons seeing this as their chance to 'stick it to the man' because they can't stick it to the actual man? If so, you're terribly failing.

There are pages filled of reasons in this thread why people are upset about this. And yet instead of reading them you invent one reason after the other why they "could" be upset..

If you are jealous about the gifts then that's your issue, no one was talking about that. If you feel powerless because you "can't stick it to the actual man" then that's your issue too, it has nothing at all to do with the discussion at hand.

Maybe if you stop projecting your own issues on to others and start reading what the actual arguments are you could add something to the discussion worth reading.
Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1011 - 2013-10-06 23:37:44 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Post indicating you didn't read or comprehend

CCP exists in the real world. The fansites exist in the real world. Real human beings are the recipients of real rewards (game time is real, you can even purchase it with money).

But you've touched, however incompentently, on the real issue. If the argument is that it's their game, there's no point sitting around and whining. Log on or log off. Everything else is bullshit.
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1012 - 2013-10-06 23:54:13 UTC

Well it does make you wonder what CCP staff characters and their alliances are given as bonuses in game for good work out of game.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Kosakei Sanko
Interstellar Vacancy
Loose Affiliations
#1013 - 2013-10-06 23:56:14 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:
Erotica 1 wrote:

Or a complete new model, an asteroid with guns. You laser dem roids? Dem roids shoot back!

A coralskipper?

Gimme a unique T2 Khanid battleship called the Castigator and I'd be willing to forget all this happened.

Bapfl
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1014 - 2013-10-07 00:11:13 UTC
Naradius wrote:

OK, I'm going to spell this out for the retards....

1. CCP gave Somer Ish Scorps on the sly (for whatever reason).
2.Somer says to employees - keep it quiet. When you sell them, do it as to not raise suspicion.

Why doesn't Somer want to raise suspicion?
Is it because they knew that they are worth a lot less now than their current market price, because there are actually 40% more available than the rest of the community were led to believe.

Why were they allowed to sell these items into a market that had no idea of their true worth at the time? I can answer that one - because CCP sanctioned it. CCP and Somer knew there were 40% more Ish Scorps seeded...nobody else did.

Somer said herself this was a unique thing CCP was doing for them Shocked

It doesn't matter if it was an Ish Scorp...it's the principle.

Dude, the ishk scorps were supposed to be used to drain more peeps into lottery and make bets even higher, so the can sell more plex... /sigh
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1015 - 2013-10-07 00:11:55 UTC

Three times, actually. It's just that the first time it happened, it was to a small enough extent that nobody really thought much of it. It was only when they gave them really rare ships for their drawing did people start to think that maybe CCP shouldn't be handing out items of value to organizations like this, secret or not, for purposes of using them in a lottery or not.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#1016 - 2013-10-07 00:46:34 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:
Erotica 1 wrote:

A fabulous idea! When the community comes together to brainstorm, great ideas come forth!

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#1017 - 2013-10-07 01:12:41 UTC
RAW23 wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:

Stupid people caring about the hobbies they spend time and money on!

No one cares about stuff like that, so we're bad people and should just give up

That's what you ccp puppets are reduced to?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1018 - 2013-10-07 01:14:18 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
No one cares about stuff like that, so we're bad people and should just give up

That's what you ccp puppets are reduced to?

your sarcasm detector is broken. this is a consequence of knee jerk posting
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#1019 - 2013-10-07 01:57:25 UTC
Everyone says I post only trash because I am a goon

but ~secretly~ on our classified goonfleetdotcom forums, ...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Maximilian Akora
It's just business.
#1020 - 2013-10-07 02:11:31 UTC
So what are the chances this mega thread will actually get a DEV reply this monday?