These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#981 - 2013-10-06 22:18:07 UTC
StabThigh wrote:

Eve was always "not fair" by the mechanics of the game. Not by dev resource injections. Secret or not, it is wrong.

So then all unique ships in the game, prizes for tournaments and stuff are all wrong too? What's the difference?

X gets a multi billion ISK ship for winning the alliance tournament.

Y gets a multi billion ISK ship for running a popular lottery which requires a LOT of man hours to operate.

Everyone likes to pretend that SOMER is an automated service and the guys behind it are just raking in the cash. In reality there's a whole load of people manually processing the transactions. It's a lot more work than spending a few hours winning an alliance tournament.

So how is that amount of work not equally deserving of a community reward? Because they already make a profit (which is largely spent on Promos, donations, sponsorship)? Would everyone feel better if these ships were not allowed to be sold and thus had no monetary value? Wouldn't that go against your precious sandbox? The same sandbox that determines the value of these ships? Because CCP certainly didn't give them the claimed billions. CCP just gave them ships. Other players are willing to pay billions for those ships. That's not CCP's fault.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Kate stark
#982 - 2013-10-06 22:22:01 UTC
what's different is the way these items were given to a selected group of players in secret.

read the thread and you'd know. read before posting, it stops you posting stuff that we've gone over with other illiterates several times.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#983 - 2013-10-06 22:26:06 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
So how is that amount of work not equally deserving of a community reward?

Because in the alliance tournament everyone gets to try, everyone gets to compete if they so wish and everybody knows beforehand that there will be rewards.

CCP giving anything to anyone in an unfair manner, giving said people an advantage in-game without giving everyone else a chance to compete for this reward, is wrong.
Anomaly One
Doomheim
#984 - 2013-10-06 22:26:12 UTC
I only want one thing from CCP

tree fiddy
Ragnen Delent
#985 - 2013-10-06 22:26:28 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:

Everyone likes to pretend that SOMER is an automated service and the guys behind it are just raking in the cash. In reality there's a whole load of people manually processing the transactions. It's a lot more work than spending a few hours winning an alliance tournament.

So how is that amount of work not equally deserving of a community reward? Because they already make a profit (which is largely spent on Promos, donations, sponsorship)?

Should I then get prizes from CCP for ratting, or you for whatever it is you do to earn isk? The people do the work because they are paid to do so. In fact, Somer almost needs to have those people doing it, because when someone isn't around to preauth payments in and out players get upset mighty quickly. I'm not really sure why "doing lots of work" should result in rewards from CCP.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#986 - 2013-10-06 22:26:57 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Because they already make a profit (which is largely spent on Promos, donations, sponsorship)?

please share more of what you know about somer's financials as you're apparently privy to that information

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

corbexx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#987 - 2013-10-06 22:28:33 UTC
used to have some respect for jester now i just wonder how many of his mates have been given stuff.. total disgrace as a csm member espically as he wanted greater transparency... bloody hypocrit
Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#988 - 2013-10-06 22:32:09 UTC
Anomaly One wrote:
I only want one thing from CCP

tree fiddy

Go away, Loch Ness monster!
StabThigh
Amarrshmellow
#989 - 2013-10-06 22:32:23 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
StabThigh wrote:

Eve was always "not fair" by the mechanics of the game. Not by dev resource injections. Secret or not, it is wrong.

So then all unique ships in the game, prizes for tournaments and stuff are all wrong too? What's the difference?

X gets a multi billion ISK ship for winning the alliance tournament.

Y gets a multi billion ISK ship for running a popular lottery which requires a LOT of man hours to operate.

So how is that amount of work not equally deserving of a community reward? Because they already make a profit (which is largely spent on Promos, donations, sponsorship)? Would everyone feel better if these ships were not allowed to be sold and thus had no monetary value? Wouldn't that go against your precious sandbox? The same sandbox that determines the value of these ships? Because CCP certainly didn't give them the claimed billions. CCP just gave them ships. Other players are willing to pay billions for those ships. That's not CCP's fault.

You'll find I disagree with devtime and handouts pertaining to AT specific ships as well, but that is another thread.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#990 - 2013-10-06 22:34:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
TigerXtrm wrote:
I know what's going on.
So why did you make a TL;DR that only proves the “DR” part and demonstrates the exact opposite?

Quote:
This is jealousy, pure and simple.
No, it really isn't. You've once again only shown that you are absolutely clueless about what's going on, as do your dismissals of the actual reason why people are upset.

It sounds more like you're projecting here…

Quote:
So how is that amount of work not equally deserving of a community reward?
Mainly because it has very little to do with the community and everything to do with favouritism and secret dev hand-outs… you know, kind of like the thing that got us the CSM and the IAD?

If the devs had wanted to do something to reward the community, they should have engaged with the community and done it in the open. Instead, both they and the recipients knew full well that this was a shady deal on a personal basis.
Naradius
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#991 - 2013-10-06 22:38:48 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:

I couldn't let this go....

First of all, winning an alliance tourney isn't "spending a few hours"...first you have to be skilled at PVP, then you have to spend that time paying CCP game time to build up skills. Lets not even go into the finer details of winning a tourney...or just getting to the stage of entering it. Roll

Secondly, I have no doubt the Somer Blink employees put in a lot of work....but you know what? They also get paid handsomely as it is. As far as processing the transactions, I thought they used the API if nobody was online...but, hey I could be wrong.

I wonder how much commission Somer gets for every plex transaction through their site? There are plenty of ways Somer benefit from their business (and good luck to them).

...and I will repeat again, it's not so much the gifts themselves that is the problem, it was the secretive and underhand way in which they were given. That kind of behavior has such a negative impact on things associated with game (in game and out). It almost reminds me of insider trading, which CCP have punished people for before....this time they have initiated it themselves!!

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#992 - 2013-10-06 22:39:22 UTC
Add me to the list of people who won't be giving CCP another cent until this issue is properly resolved.

Firing the people responsible would be a good start.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#993 - 2013-10-06 22:39:55 UTC
Tilly Delnero wrote:
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
I do not want CCP to gift me, or anyone else in the game, free, secret or otherwise, stuff, unless it is something like a Barbie outfit, which cannot be sold, traded, reprocessed or given to another player. That should cover itSmile

This is essentially the real issue in a nutshell, well put. Honestly I couldn't give a fig about what happens on TQ since I quit it for Sisi after Odyssey, but I can see why this would get peoples' blood boiling. Even if they 'only' sell for 5-10b each, that's a lot of PLEX (and in turn, real money) that is gifted to specific players by CCP that gives them an in-game advantage over others. How couldn't this be interpreted as a form of favouritism or in-game manipulation?

Personally I think it's much more likely just a poorly thought-out PR stunt, but the conspiracy theories are understandable.

Giving them the ships can't be a PR stunt, poorly thought out or not, because it was done in complete secrecy

If it was to publicly acknowledge and thank someone for doing a good thing, they'd not have had to do it in secret

and they'd also have to explain why somer were picked (again) over a dozen other sites, services and individuals who do a lot for the community - more than a mere fun gambling service.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#994 - 2013-10-06 22:44:21 UTC
Andski wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:
Because they already make a profit (which is largely spent on Promos, donations, sponsorship)?

please share more of what you know about somer's financials as you're apparently privy to that information

Simple info really. SOMER takes about 20% on each blink. But they don't take anything on the promos they run. Each time they run a promo that money comes directly out of their profit. Running the site and paying the employees comes out of the profit. Sponsorships are done without any monetary gain. Each time they give bonus credit to a player who then cashes out the credit comes out of their bottom line.

Down at the bottom line I don't think SOMER is making as much net profit as everyone seems to think they do. I'm sure they still make a number that is very impressive.

Quote:
You've once again only shown that you are absolutely clueless about what's going on, as do your dismissals of the actual reason why people are upset.

Please, inform me what the problem is if I'm so clearly wrong? I only see two problems. CCP gave shiny stuff to people in secret. And that shiny stuff happens to be worth a lot of ISK which makes people go whhhaaaa because they want a lot of ISK too.

SOMER isn't even really the issue here so don't pretend that they are.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#995 - 2013-10-06 22:47:59 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Andski wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:

Simple info really. SOMER takes about 20% on each blink. But they don't take anything on the promos they run. Each time they run a promo that money comes directly out of their profit. Running the site and paying the employees comes out of the profit. Sponsorships are done without any monetary gain. Each time they give bonus credit to a player who then cashes out the credit comes out of their bottom line.

Down at the bottom line I don't think SOMER is making as much net profit as everyone seems to think they do. I'm sure they still make a number that is very impressive.

Quote:
You've once again only shown that you are absolutely clueless about what's going on, as do your dismissals of the actual reason why people are upset.

Please, inform me what the problem is if I'm so clearly wrong? I only see two problems. CCP gave shiny stuff to people in secret. And that shiny stuff happens to be worth a lot of ISK which makes people go whhhaaaa because they want a lot of ISK too.

SOMER isn't even really the issue here so don't pretend that they are.

Attempting to smear people who have a problem with this as being greedy and wanting special unique things themselves, when no one here is doing that is a pisspoor argument mate

just saying
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#996 - 2013-10-06 22:49:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
TigerXtrm wrote:
Please, inform me what the problem is if I'm so clearly wrong?

In a word, favouritism.

They arbitrarily and without any reason or reasoning handed out massive amounts of valuables in secret to a single group of individuals because a dev liked them.

They are trying to hide behind the vapid excuse of “rewarding community service”, the problem being that this favouritism has as much to do with the community as T20's BPO handout (except that one was much smaller and aimed at a group that created actual in-game content), and that by choosing to make keep it secret, the community was never meant to know that such services were being rewarded.

What you incorrectly label as “jealousy” is people demonstrating why it's such a nonsensical thing to do and why the excuse doesn't hold water: imagine them doing the same to any of the other large content-creating entities in the game, and the outcry that would follow…
Kate stark
#997 - 2013-10-06 22:50:01 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Please, inform me what the problem is if I'm so clearly wrong?

read the thread.

don't worry, you're not the only one ignorant of the issue.

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

bloodknight2
Revenu.Quebec
#998 - 2013-10-06 22:50:25 UTC
CCP should gives a ishukune scorp to everyone.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#999 - 2013-10-06 22:53:06 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:

You don't know what their net profit is because a lot of winnings are claimed in blink credit.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#1000 - 2013-10-06 22:54:58 UTC

Well, in any case, one thing is certain. Everyone who has one of these "rare" ships should consider selling it as soon as possible. The value will only continue to decline. I'm giving one away myself as a promo. I'll probably just continue to give mine away to random people who play my game until I run out of them. Otherwise, a year from now they might be as common as any other ship. Maybe we'll all get them for Christmas.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.